Forum Jump: 
 134Likes

post #11221 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Just to let you know... Just about every 'big box office movie' I've ever played via Netflix UK/EU is displayed at 24Hz or 60Hz.

I'll check to see if local EU made content is displayed at 50Hz and report back...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-07-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: 24Hz reference corrected and struck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11222 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 947
^ On the cable box issue (50Hz output from the player despite NTSC being set), bring up the on-screen Info display on the OPPO while that is happening and confirm the input (top line) is 50Hz and the output (bottom line) is also 50Hz. And of course confirm you really do have NTSC set as the EU firmware will default to PAL, e.g., if you do a Reset.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11223 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ On the Netflix issue, it is possible that the EU Netflix servers have some titles incorrectly coded as to frame rate. Thus OPPO UK is going to need the details on which titles are causing the problem so they can check each specific stream.

ETA: In the US firmware, the native Netflix app on the OPPO only ever puts out /60 or /50. I.e., it never puts out /24.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11224 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ On the cable box issue (50Hz output from the player despite NTSC being set), bring up the on-screen Info display on the OPPO while that is happening and confirm the input (top line) is 50Hz and the output (bottom line) is also 50Hz. And of course confirm you really do have NTSC set as the EU firmware will default to PAL, e.g., if you do a Reset.
--Bob
With regard to my 50Hz cable box (and any other 50Hz connected device). As long as you have 'Source Direct' selected as the 'Resolution' and 'NTSC' selected as the 'TV System', the Oppo will detect the input as being 50Hz and output 50Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

If any other output 'Resolution' is selected, the Oppo will detect the input as being 50Hz but output 60Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

EXTRA INFO:
With regard to my 50Hz cable box (and any other 50Hz connected device). When you select 'Multi-standard' as the 'TV System', you can select any of the output 'Resolution' options and the Oppo will detect the input as being 50Hz and output 50Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

MORE EXTRA INFO:
With regard to connecting a 24Hz device to either one of the HDMI inputs. When you select 'PAL' as the 'TV System' and 'Source Direct' as the 'Resolution', the Oppo will detect the input as being 24Hz and output 24Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

With regard to connecting a 60Hz device to either one of the HDMI inputs. When you select 'PAL' as the 'TV System' and 'Source Direct' as the 'Resolution', the Oppo will detect the input as being 60Hz and output 60Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-07-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: More 'extra' information added...
post #11225 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ETA: In the US firmware, the native Netflix app on the OPPO only ever puts out /60 or /50. I.e., it never puts out /24.

--Bob
Yep, my mistake... I've just checked with four Netflix movies. They are all output at 60Hz (not 24Hz) according to my TV.

It's a real shame the Oppo does not display detailed information about the streaming services...

post #11226 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudje23 View Post
Since the May 15 2014 firmware update, I am having video stutter when playing Netflix 30p and 24p material on my BDP-105EU.
Playing 30p and 24p material from my local network works flawlessly.

I found out that the new Netflix app does not switch to the correct TV system (frame rate) when the media is in 30p or 24p.
Forcing the Oppo to NTSC before starting Netflix gives a judderfree picture on Netflix. It is cumbersome to manually switch everytime since I watch US and EU media.

The TV is a Panasonic TX-P54Z1E plasma, it switches perfectly from PAL to NTSC and vice versa.

Anybody a similar experience?

H Ruudje. Yes. I even returned my player to JVB, but they said they noticed nothing. They returned the OPPO, I changed router, cables, etc but no change. Now I read what could be the issue.
At least that seems to be the first step to a resolution. Next step is that OPPO confirms this. (Bjorn from OPPO support tells me, there is no known issue).
I just wrote a mail to JVB (distributor in the Netherlands) about this posting. See what happens now.
keikihula likes this.

Last edited by Holland108; 07-07-2014 at 02:15 PM.
post #11227 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
With regard to my 50Hz cable box (and any other 50Hz connected device). As long as you have 'Source Direct' selected as the 'Resolution' and 'NTSC' selected as the 'TV System', the Oppo will detect the input as being 50Hz and output 50Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

If any other output 'Resolution' is selected, the Oppo will detect the input as being 50Hz but output 60Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

EXTRA INFO:
With regard to my 50Hz cable box (and any other 50Hz connected device). When you select 'Multi-standard' as the 'TV System', you can select any of the output 'Resolution' options and the Oppo will detect the input as being 50Hz and output 50Hz. Which is confirmed by my TV.

Cheers
OK, this actually strikes me as CORRECT behavior. Source Direct is not supposed to alter Frame Rate. For example, /24 content is output as /24 even if you have 1080p/24 Output set to OFF.

When an explicit Resolution choice is made (i.e., not Source Direct), then the TV System setting (and the 1080p/24 Output setting) should control the output Frame Rate, and that's what you are saying is happening.

So, no problem here.

That still leaves the Netflix issue to sort out.
--Bob

post #11228 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That still leaves the Netflix issue to sort out.
--Bob
Sufficed to say, it's not just Netflix that has a problem. Here's a weird one...

If you have 'Source Direct' selected as the 'Resolution' and 'NTSC' selected as the 'TV System' and stream HD content from 'Berliner Philharoniker' or 'BBC iPlayer' my TV detects the output as being 720p/50Hz. And playback is smooth...

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-07-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #11229 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
H Ruudje. Yes. I even returned my player to JVB, but they said they noticed nothing. They returned the OPPO, I changed router, cables, etc but no change. Now I read what could be the issue.
At least that seems to be the first step to a resolution. Next step is that OPPO confirms this. (Bjorn from OPPO support tells me, there is no known issue).
I just wrote a mail to JVB (distributor in the Netherlands) about this posting. See what happens now.
After reading the last postings, I changed the setting in my OPPO from Auto/Pal to NTSC.
Now the output signal is 60P and the stuttering is gone. Will do some more test with different movies, but all seems well now.

By the way: JVB is giving me great support, with trying to find a solution for the issue. Really no complaints in that area.

Last edited by Holland108; 07-07-2014 at 02:17 PM.
post #11230 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Sufficed to say, it's not just Netflix that has a problem. Here's a weird one...

If you have 'Source Direct' selected as the 'Resolution' and 'NTSC' selected as the 'TV System' and stream HD content from 'Berliner Philharoniker' or 'BBC iPlayer' my TV detects the output as being 720p/50Hz. And playback is smooth...

You are using Source Direct, meaning that whatever is input is also output.
Most likely the NTSC/PAL setting is ignored for the Source Direct application.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11231 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You are using Source Direct, meaning that whatever is input is also output.
Most likely the NTSC/PAL setting is ignored for the Source Direct application.
I emailed Oppo. Got a reply from them. This is what they say:

The Netflix and VUDU applications may be hard coded to convert to PAL, so the Multi System will not allow the player to switch to NTSC. Multi System should work properly with DVD and Blu-ray media, however.

In this case you will want to set TV System to NTSC to ensure that you get a NTSC output from the player when engaging a streaming application.

I hope Oppo will change it in the next firmware, since it should not matter if a stream is coming from a local network, or from internet via the Netflix app. I recall that the earlier Netflix app did not have that problem and it seems like a serious image quality bug was introduced.
post #11232 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
After reading the last postings, I changed the setting in my OPPO from Auto/Pal to NTSC.
Now the output signal is 60P and the stuttering is gone. Will do some more test with different movies, but all seems well now.

By the way: JVB is giving me great support, with trying to find a solution for the issue. Really no complaints in that area.
Hi Holland108, forcing the Oppo to NTSC solves it for US media, but all PAL media from Netflix and your local network will stutter. Less than playing 24p on 50Hz, but it is noticable.
So when playing Netflix media, I manually change the TV system in the Video setup. All local network media plays fine on Multi-system (auto) in the Video setup
post #11233 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

I believe I already covered this. Source Direct bypasses the TV System setting and the 1080p/24 Output setting. I.e., it does not do Frame Rate conversion. Source Direct puts out what's present in the content. This is as intended. It is not a bug.
--Bob

post #11234 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

They do sometimes sell refurbished models for a substantial discount when they have them in stock.
Everyone who has ever bought one has reported they are indistinguishable from a new model and they come with the same warranty
and full accessories, etc...
I recently picked up a refurbished 105. You need to call Oppo direct to inquire about availability and price.

I've had good luck with factory refurbished products from other manufacters in the past.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #11235 of 11901 Old 07-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ The iOS apps act as a UPnP control point, providing a graphical user interface (a GUI). They look for available DLNA media renderers (i.e. your Oppo player, smart tv, your iPad/iPhone, etc.) to "push" media files to via your home network. They also look for available DLNA media servers running on your network, which allows the apps to access your network media library and provides the interface to "push" media files to your available media renderers. There are quite a few available UPnP ios apps to choose from. Some are free, while others you'll have to pay for. If you have JRiver running on your Mac, you can use the ios app provided by them(JRemote). I like to keep my home computer off (and my tv) while listening to my audio. The JRiver server needs to run on your pc, so I have been using a DLNA media server provided by my Synology NAS. I can use Synology's ios app, DS Audio, or I use a couple others (8player, CS5). It's your choice....some UPnP apps are more robust than others, while some are limited in their ability to push specific file types (.dsf, .dff, etc.) to a capable renderer.
Thanks so much for that info, DanF8500. Makes perfect sense now. I'll start looking into available Mac and iOS apps. Might start off with Plex perhaps. I have a Mac Mini running all the time, which acts as a kind of server.
post #11236 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I believe I already covered this. Source Direct bypasses the TV System setting and the 1080p/24 Output setting. I.e., it does not do Frame Rate conversion. Source Direct puts out what's present in the content. This is as intended. It is not a bug.
--Bob
Yes... Where the bug is however.

You should be able to select 'Source Direct' as the 'Resolution' and 'Multi-standard' as the 'TV System', so when playing content from streaming services the Oppo should be able detect 60Hz sources and output 60Hz and detect 50Hz sources and output 50Hz. Which it is not doing!

post #11237 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ With Source Direct set, that should happen for streaming services regardless of the TV System setting. The comment from OPPO UK suggests that Netflix in Europe may be incorrectly streaming ALL titles flagged as 50 Hz even when some of the content should be 60Hz.

If so, using Source Direct will result in 50Hz output regardless of the TV System setting. That's by design. Source Direct retains the Frame Rate presented by the content.

And when using an explicit Resolution such as 1080p, TV System MULTI-STANDARD will do the same thing. Only choosing NTSC will get incorrectly flagged content output as 60Hz, and only if you are NOT using Source Direct with the incorrect streaming content.

To check this. OPPO UK will need info on specific Netflix Stream titles which should be at 60Hz but are resulting in 50hz when 1080p and MULTI-STANDARD are both set.
--Bob
post #11238 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ With Source Direct set, that should happen for streaming services regardless of the TV System setting. The comment from OPPO UK suggests that Netflix in Europe may be incorrectly streaming ALL titles flagged as 50 Hz even when some of the content should be 60Hz.
Hmmm...

I've just tried accessing the USA version of Netflix and it's the same issue for us EU Oppo owners. When you select 'Source Direct' as the 'Resolution' and 'Multi-standard' as the 'TV System', the Oppo continues to output 50Hz...

post #11239 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Not the case here with the US firmware. That suggests the problem is in the EU app provided by Netflix.

By the way, how can you know the app is accessing a US Netflix server?
--Bob
post #11240 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ If you have an iPad/iPhone, you can push audio to your Oppo player with a number of different iOS apps. The only requirement(other than having all required components communicating on your home network) is you need to have a DLNA media server running on your home network. The media server can be running either from your Mac, another connected computer, or even from your NAS. I have a Synology NAS running its own embedded DLNA media server, so I don't even need to have my computer on to push audio to my Oppo player. My NAS stores my whole media library.
This is pretty much what I do, except with PC and Android rather than iOS.

I use JRiver (which I'm having some issues with) as my Media Server, and their Gizmo app to push music to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, and video to my Oppo. All my movies, TV, and complete audio collection is on a Synology NAS. I have installed a Media Server software on the Synology NAS as well, but I don't have a network card for my DirectStream DSD DAC yet, so it's JRiver and USB for now.

It all works quite well, assuming the software isn't flaking out. As I've said, I've got some JRiver software issues.
post #11241 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Not the case here with the US firmware. That suggests the problem is in the EU app provided by Netflix.

By the way, how can you know the app is accessing a US Netflix server?
--Bob
Because Netflix confirms it within the 'information' part of the set-up page. And the content is quite a bit different to the UK version...

At one time is was a fairly straight forward process for UK/EU Oppo owners (and Smart TV's owners) to set-up their devices to connect up-to the USA version of Netflix. But it's become a fairly convoluted process now as the available USA DNS's seem to change by the hour...

post #11242 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
This is pretty much what I do, except with PC and Android rather than iOS.

I use JRiver (which I'm having some issues with) as my Media Server, and their Gizmo app to push music to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC, and video to my Oppo. All my movies, TV, and complete audio collection is on a Synology NAS. I have installed a Media Server software on the Synology NAS as well, but I don't have a network card for my DirectStream DSD DAC yet, so it's JRiver and USB for now.

It all works quite well, assuming the software isn't flaking out. As I've said, I've got some JRiver software issues.
My experience with JRiver is that the OS X and Android apps are the ugly stepchildren of the JRiver world. They get enough attention to keep them alive - but they are never given the resources and attention that would permit them to thrive like their PC and iOS siblings.

I run JRiver 19 in a Windows 7 VM on my Mac Mini server (Wired connection, as with the 103) and then use jRemote on the iPad. That combination is rock-solid, reliability-wise.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #11243 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
My experience with JRiver is that the OS X and Android apps are the ugly stepchildren of the JRiver world. They get enough attention to keep them alive - but they are never given the resources and attention that would permit them to thrive like their PC and iOS siblings.

I run JRiver 19 in a Windows 7 VM on my Mac Mini server (Wired connection, as with the 103) and then use jRemote on the iPad. That combination is rock-solid, reliability-wise.
My problem may be Windows related as I'm using Win 8.1, and JRiver keeps losing the USB driver for my DS DAC. The network streaming has been rock solid though. Maybe I need to regress my server to Win 7 or something.
post #11244 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
My problem may be Windows related as I'm using Win 8.1, and JRiver keeps losing the USB driver for my DS DAC. The network streaming has been rock solid though. Maybe I need to regress my server to Win 7 or something.
That sounds likely - since JRiver does not know about the driver at all. It knows about a Windows Sound device - it is Windows that is responsible for knowing what driver that particular sound device needs and for keeping that driver up and running. So there is likely a problem well below the JRiver/Application level.

I have a 103, so I just use the network functionality to stream my media. No async USB.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #11245 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
I had this problem with the 105D but swapped out the USB cable for a Belkin Gold 10 foot cable (<$10) and it has been rock solid since. They appear to use a lower gage wire.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Parasound A51 Black (for sale) | Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 & A31 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11246 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I had this problem with the 105D but swapped out the USB cable for a Belkin Gold 10 foot cable (<$10) and it has been rock solid since. They appear to use a lower gage wire.

- Rich
I was thinking this could be part of the problem as well - I have a Pangea USB cable in my Amazon cart now...I haven't pulled the trigger because I'm skeptical that a good working cable can be improved on in the digital realm. But then, maybe what I'm using isn't "good and working".
post #11247 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 178
^ USB cables are funny that way. I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for it, but I don't know what it is.
I have a long USB extension cable I got from Monoprice (25ft) that works great with both the Oppo HA-1 and
Oppo BD players when I combine it with a 6 inch USB A=>B cable.
However If I try to connect it to my projector, it doesn't work.
Others have said they tried medium length high quality cables with the players, like 10 or 15 foot, and they didn't work.
Then replaced that cable with a $2 6 ft cable and that one worked just fine.
If a 25 ft cable from Monoprice works, why wouldn't a name brand 10 ft cable work? Very weird...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11248 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
^ USB cables are funny that way. I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for it, but I don't know what it is.
I have a long USB extension cable I got from Monoprice (25ft) that works great with both the Oppo HA-1 and
Oppo BD players when I combine it with a 6 inch USB A=>B cable.
However If I try to connect it to my projector, it doesn't work.
Others have said they tried medium length high quality cables with the players, like 10 or 15 foot, and they didn't work.
Then replaced that cable with a $2 6 ft cable and that one worked just fine.
If a 25 ft cable from Monoprice works, why wouldn't a name brand 10 ft cable work? Very weird...
Yeah, I read an article I saw linked at Computer Audiophile (boy are those guys there catty and looking for arguments!) - where a USB designer said that most USB cables aren't conforming to the 90ohm requirement, and pretty much just throw anything out there with the correct plugs and whatever wire.

I'm tempted to make my own USB cable still, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a .5m Pangea USB cable. I'll see if that works better for me.
post #11249 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Today when I played music on a Lexar 64GB USB thumb drive the 105 seemed to get stuck. I could navigate in the beginning to the folder I wanted but once it started playing a file I the player would no longer response to the remote. The only way to get unstuck or even to stop the player is to turn the power off. I don't recall this has occurred before so I wonder if it has to do with the recent firmware update. Has any one experienced the same?

I just tried another USB drive, same problem.
post #11250 of 11901 Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If you have enabled caching of media data on you USB stick, take it to a computer and delete the OPPO folder containing that stuff. You may have some old, bogus data in there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try turning off Grace Note Lookup. You may have a network issue getting in the way of that.
--Bob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page