15Likes

post #11251 of 11260 Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ If you have enabled caching of media data on you USB stick, take it to a computer and delete the OPPO folder containing that stuff. You may have some old, bogus data in there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try turning off Grace Note Lookup. You may have a network issue getting in the way of that.
--Bob
Thanks Bob I will try that for sure. Just a quick update, when I played files in a couple other folders, one being MPEG-4 format and another just waves, everything's back to normal. Then I tried to play those same files, also wave files again, the player stopped responding to the remote again except the power off function. I need to tried a few more folders but it does seem those files are the culprit for some unknown reasons. Those files were ripped wave files from the CD layer of a SACD. I am quite sure it was ripped using Windows 7's, the same way I ripped most CDs. Anyway I will try your trick and hope it works. Then I will try to ripped that same CD again to see if the new files would make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry simple questions

Just got a 105, sorry for asking, but if I stream Spotify on my apple laptop and connect the usb to the oppo will it work ? I can get other media files to play on the oppo but for some reason Spotify will not play ????
post #11253 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
Just got a 105, sorry for asking, but if I stream Spotify on my apple laptop and connect the usb to the oppo will it work ? I can get other media files to play on the oppo but for some reason Spotify will not play ????
Spotify is not a "media file" of course. It is an application.

However you can use the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105 to play that as stereo audio. You will need a type of USB cable that has the narrow rectangular plug for the Mac end and the alternate, square shaped plug for the OPPO end. Connect up the cable, and in System Preferences > Sound > Output spot the OPPO as a choice and select it. *ANY* audio that the Mac could normally send to its built-in speakers will now be sent to the OPPO instead.

In the OPPO, press the Input button and select the USB DAC audio Input to listen to that stereo coming from the Mac.

NOTE: Any audio coming in on the USB DAC Input is sent directly to the DACs for Analog output and sent as HDMI LPCM 2.0 on the HDMI outputs. That is, it is not "processed" at all in the OPPO. For example you can not get Crossover processing to steer bass from that stereo audio input to your Subwoofer.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11254 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 69
^How funny. I just tried Spotify last night for the first time and had fun messing with it. I played it just this way, out my MacBook through asynchronous USB to the OPPO. I wonder if anyone's done much comparing of their "extreme" quality songs vs flac, and how much difference there might be. It may become a very rare occasion that I buy CDs or even hdtracks, etc, anymore in the future.

Omar
post #11255 of 11260 Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have my 105 connected via an HDMI switch to my display.

Has anyone else noticed that since the last firmware upgrade, the 105 sometimes seems to hang when it can't perform HDCP authentication because it can't communicate with the display?

I've seen this four or five times so far but haven't yet come up with a reproducible set of circumstances.
post #11256 of 11260 Old Today, 03:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post
^How funny. I just tried Spotify last night for the first time and had fun messing with it. I played it just this way, out my MacBook through asynchronous USB to the OPPO. I wonder if anyone's done much comparing of their "extreme" quality songs vs flac, and how much difference there might be. It may become a very rare occasion that I buy CDs or even hdtracks, etc, anymore in the future.
IIRC, their extreme quality is equivalent to high bit rate MP3 files (320 kb/s). I would think there would be a LOT more difference in audio quality between that and FLAC (or quality high bitrate purchases from places like HDTracks) than there is switching between 1080p and 720p video output on the player as being discussed in the other thread.
post #11257 of 11260 Old Today, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
IIRC, their extreme quality is equivalent to high bit rate MP3 files (320 kb/s). I would think there would be a LOT more difference in audio quality between that and FLAC (or quality high bitrate purchases from places like HDTracks) than there is switching between 1080p and 720p video output on the player as being discussed in the other thread.
Iirc? Whazat?

Laugh! The truth is the truth! Never run from it. Though I think ppl are taking the difference for a lot more than it is. But I do notice a difference.

Omar
post #11258 of 11260 Old Today, 05:10 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
^ IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

FWIW (for what it's worth...), there was no sarcasm intended in my response. My point was that if you can't notice a difference (or much of one) between lossy streamed and lossless audio format sound quality, the difference between 720p and 1080p ought to be even more significant such that many/most people ought to be able to notice it. The reality seems to be that only a small number of people seem to notice any difference there and there tends to be a certain herd mentality with this sort of thing where one person notices something and then suddenly people jump on the "me too" bandwagon. I'm not saying that the difference absolutely doesn't exist (as in just because I can't hear/see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist), just that it may be system dependent or a LOT more subtle than some are indicating.

Last edited by gsr; Today at 05:17 AM.
post #11259 of 11260 Old Today, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I have my 105 connected via an HDMI switch to my display.

Has anyone else noticed that since the last firmware upgrade, the 105 sometimes seems to hang when it can't perform HDCP authentication because it can't communicate with the display?

I've seen this four or five times so far but haven't yet come up with a reproducible set of circumstances.
I've had a hang a few times recently, i.e. in the last week or two, but haven't come up with any thoughts on what was causing it. I didn't think of relating it to the last firmware update because the first hang was a few weeks after I did that and since the first hang it seems to happen every few days or so.

What I can say about my hangs is that they always occur when playing a movie and always just as the movie is starting, i.e. I press enter on the remote to play the movie, the movie starts playing, and a few frames into the movie playback freezes. Turning the 105 off and then back on and restarting the movie always works.
post #11260 of 11260 Old Today, 02:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 772
^ Try reseating your HDMI plugs -- both ends of every cable in the signal path. The timing suggests you are getting a copy protection (HDCP) failure and the player is then doing continuous retries without success.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List