46Likes

post #11251 of 11429 Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ If you have enabled caching of media data on you USB stick, take it to a computer and delete the OPPO folder containing that stuff. You may have some old, bogus data in there.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try turning off Grace Note Lookup. You may have a network issue getting in the way of that.
--Bob
Thanks Bob I will try that for sure. Just a quick update, when I played files in a couple other folders, one being MPEG-4 format and another just waves, everything's back to normal. Then I tried to play those same files, also wave files again, the player stopped responding to the remote again except the power off function. I need to tried a few more folders but it does seem those files are the culprit for some unknown reasons. Those files were ripped wave files from the CD layer of a SACD. I am quite sure it was ripped using Windows 7's, the same way I ripped most CDs. Anyway I will try your trick and hope it works. Then I will try to ripped that same CD again to see if the new files would make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11252 of 11429 Old 07-09-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry simple questions

Just got a 105, sorry for asking, but if I stream Spotify on my apple laptop and connect the usb to the oppo will it work ? I can get other media files to play on the oppo but for some reason Spotify will not play ????
post #11253 of 11429 Old 07-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy202022 View Post
Just got a 105, sorry for asking, but if I stream Spotify on my apple laptop and connect the usb to the oppo will it work ? I can get other media files to play on the oppo but for some reason Spotify will not play ????
Spotify is not a "media file" of course. It is an application.

However you can use the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105 to play that as stereo audio. You will need a type of USB cable that has the narrow rectangular plug for the Mac end and the alternate, square shaped plug for the OPPO end. Connect up the cable, and in System Preferences > Sound > Output spot the OPPO as a choice and select it. *ANY* audio that the Mac could normally send to its built-in speakers will now be sent to the OPPO instead.

In the OPPO, press the Input button and select the USB DAC audio Input to listen to that stereo coming from the Mac.

NOTE: Any audio coming in on the USB DAC Input is sent directly to the DACs for Analog output and sent as HDMI LPCM 2.0 on the HDMI outputs. That is, it is not "processed" at all in the OPPO. For example you can not get Crossover processing to steer bass from that stereo audio input to your Subwoofer.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11254 of 11429 Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^How funny. I just tried Spotify last night for the first time and had fun messing with it. I played it just this way, out my MacBook through asynchronous USB to the OPPO. I wonder if anyone's done much comparing of their "extreme" quality songs vs flac, and how much difference there might be. It may become a very rare occasion that I buy CDs or even hdtracks, etc, anymore in the future.

Omar
post #11255 of 11429 Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have my 105 connected via an HDMI switch to my display.

Has anyone else noticed that since the last firmware upgrade, the 105 sometimes seems to hang when it can't perform HDCP authentication because it can't communicate with the display?

I've seen this four or five times so far but haven't yet come up with a reproducible set of circumstances.
post #11256 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 03:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post
^How funny. I just tried Spotify last night for the first time and had fun messing with it. I played it just this way, out my MacBook through asynchronous USB to the OPPO. I wonder if anyone's done much comparing of their "extreme" quality songs vs flac, and how much difference there might be. It may become a very rare occasion that I buy CDs or even hdtracks, etc, anymore in the future.
IIRC, their extreme quality is equivalent to high bit rate MP3 files (320 kb/s). I would think there would be a LOT more difference in audio quality between that and FLAC (or quality high bitrate purchases from places like HDTracks) than there is switching between 1080p and 720p video output on the player as being discussed in the other thread.
post #11257 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
IIRC, their extreme quality is equivalent to high bit rate MP3 files (320 kb/s). I would think there would be a LOT more difference in audio quality between that and FLAC (or quality high bitrate purchases from places like HDTracks) than there is switching between 1080p and 720p video output on the player as being discussed in the other thread.
Iirc? Whazat?

Laugh! The truth is the truth! Never run from it. Though I think ppl are taking the difference for a lot more than it is. But I do notice a difference.

Omar
post #11258 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

FWIW (for what it's worth...), there was no sarcasm intended in my response. My point was that if you can't notice a difference (or much of one) between lossy streamed and lossless audio format sound quality, the difference between 720p and 1080p ought to be even more significant such that many/most people ought to be able to notice it. The reality seems to be that only a small number of people seem to notice any difference there and there tends to be a certain herd mentality with this sort of thing where one person notices something and then suddenly people jump on the "me too" bandwagon. I'm not saying that the difference absolutely doesn't exist (as in just because I can't hear/see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist), just that it may be system dependent or a LOT more subtle than some are indicating.

Last edited by gsr; 07-10-2014 at 05:17 AM.
post #11259 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
I have my 105 connected via an HDMI switch to my display.

Has anyone else noticed that since the last firmware upgrade, the 105 sometimes seems to hang when it can't perform HDCP authentication because it can't communicate with the display?

I've seen this four or five times so far but haven't yet come up with a reproducible set of circumstances.
I've had a hang a few times recently, i.e. in the last week or two, but haven't come up with any thoughts on what was causing it. I didn't think of relating it to the last firmware update because the first hang was a few weeks after I did that and since the first hang it seems to happen every few days or so.

What I can say about my hangs is that they always occur when playing a movie and always just as the movie is starting, i.e. I press enter on the remote to play the movie, the movie starts playing, and a few frames into the movie playback freezes. Turning the 105 off and then back on and restarting the movie always works.
post #11260 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Try reseating your HDMI plugs -- both ends of every cable in the signal path. The timing suggests you are getting a copy protection (HDCP) failure and the player is then doing continuous retries without success.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11261 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

FWIW (for what it's worth...), there was no sarcasm intended in my response. My point was that if you can't notice a difference (or much of one) between lossy streamed and lossless audio format sound quality, the difference between 720p and 1080p ought to be even more significant such that many/most people ought to be able to notice it. The reality seems to be that only a small number of people seem to notice any difference there and there tends to be a certain herd mentality with this sort of thing where one person notices something and then suddenly people jump on the "me too" bandwagon. I'm not saying that the difference absolutely doesn't exist (as in just because I can't hear/see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist), just that it may be system dependent or a LOT more subtle than some are indicating.
Just making sure we are on the same page. I didn't attempt an audio quality check with Spotify, I was wondering if anyone had, and what they may have found. Perhaps their highest quality streaming is equivalent to CD quality, I don't know. I was busy trying to figure out their user interface and the million options there, and how to remote control it on my laptop from my ipad. So far, the best two channel audio quality I have found is lossless rips from cd or the like, played back via Audirvana. I was wondering/hoping that Spotify might be close enough for casual listening purposes. Take streaming video for example. Netflix regular 1080p HD is okay but obviously not as good as blu ray quality. Their SuperHD, on the other hand, is to me indistinguishable from blu ray for all practical purposes, and I don't think very many ppl could tell the difference blind. I think at those much higher than average transfer speeds, picture quality comes down more to the original source material than streaming vs blu ray playback method. Small differences may exist, but I find it highly doubtful they will rear up and make themselves so obvious even an astute videophile would ever notice them when enjoying a film. I was hoping that perhaps audio has gotten to this point. Surely it's not as bandwidth intensive as video is.

I *was* being somewhat sarcastic with the see the truth comments. I've mentioned several times that, though I believe I reliably hear a difference between 1080p and 720p, it's not huge. It just falls within the threshold of noticeability.

It has surprised me from time to time that there are instances where I repeatedly and reliably hear differences that shouldn't be different. I can hear just as much of a difference between playing back the very same flac files on my 105D from an external USB hard drive vs. a USB flash stick, as I do between the USB flash stick and asynchronous USB w/Audirvana. People say there should be no difference between the ext HD and a flash drive, but I had a friend blind test me for half an hour until he got sick of me correctly identifying which he was playing.

I agree with you on the herd mentality assertion, this has been blatantly demonstrated in psychological testing for decades. But I also believe it works both ways. People often want to jump too quickly onto the skepticism bandwagon, because they don't want to feel guilty of, or be seen as being on the me-too, gullible bandwagon. Scientific inquiry really requires a simultaneous, dual mindset. In the forefront, we have to be curious and open to all possibilities, while in the background, we have to be obscenely skeptical and disbelieving. I think people too often sway to one side or the other, and this short circuits progress and learning.

Omar
edfowler and lanping09 like this.
post #11262 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 233
^^^
Omarf,

1'st let me say I am not calling into question your observations.
I have also found differences when playing back different methods.

Did you level match the two, they should be the same but it is a complex path out of a computer?

Note also: the 105D USB DAC bypasses all Oppo processing so that can also produce a difference.
I do not use Audirvana, but on the PC, I have found that subtle changes can be made in the sound quality selecting different driver options, bit-rates, and bit-depths.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11263 of 11429 Old 07-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
^^^
Omarf,

1'st let me say I am not calling into question your observations.
I have also found differences when playing back different methods.

Did you level match the two, they should be the same but it is a complex path out of a computer?

Note also: the 105D USB DAC bypasses all Oppo processing so that can also produce a difference.
I do not use Audirvana, but on the PC, I have found that subtle changes can be made in the sound quality selecting different driver options, bit-rates, and bit-depths.

- Rich
Good question, yes, I've level-matched my asynch USB dac with the rest of the OPPOs playback, or rather, i know what levels are equivalent. I describe this a bit below.

USB flash stick and external USB hard drive are both on the standard USB inputs, and should be performing at the same volume levels. After all, the only change in the signal path is at the source device. I've also alternated USB inputs around, and the same results hold true. My flash drive sounds noticeably better than my external (self-powered) hard drive. When my flacs play back off the flash drive, the bass is deeper and more resonant, the highs are crisper. It just doesn't sound as good coming off the external spinner.

Comparing the flash drive with asynch USB, asynch playback via Audirvana wins hands down. By comparison, playback through USB flash sounds muffled.

If I want to dig a little deeper, I can also tell you that moving that same flash drive directly to my Macbook, and having Audirvana play directly off of it, sounds pretty good--better than using the flash to playback through the OPPOs standard USB inputs, as described above. But I get improved sound when playing the files directly off my Macbook's internal SSD drive, vs. having the Macbook read off the flash drive.

So, in order of sound improvement, going from least to best:

1) External USB HD, plugged into the 105D.

2) USB flash drive, plugged into the 105D.

3) USB flash drive, plugged into laptop, playing over asynch. USB, via Audirvana.

4) Internal SSD drive on Macbook, playing over asynch. USB, via Audirvana.

I've compared volume levels with a dB meter, using OPPOs internally generated test tones, throughout. I use 75 dB as the target for my levels. For general use with the OPPO, when I am setting trims and distances, I trim my speakers so that 90% on the OPPO volume control equals 75 dB in all channels. My rear speakers run on their own integrated amp, so I use that to trim the surround volume levels. Then, because I'm running my fronts directly into the OPPO and using it as a preamp, I have to drop my mains a fair bit to get the volume down where I want it. I think both mains are set to -6.5 dB, currently. So, with that -6.5 dB offset, my mains are reading 75 dB at 90%. When I bring those levels up to 0.0, I get the same 75 dB reading at 77%, which is exactly what one would expect: double 6.5 dB (because each percent increment = 0.5 dB), produces a 13% delta.

I typically listen to two channel music at around 73 dB, and thus when listening to FLACs via standard USB, set my volume to 86%, and when listening via Audirvana/laptop/asynch USB, I set my volume to 73%, both of which are equivalent for the OPPO, given my trim levels.

Omar
post #11264 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 05:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I've compared volume levels with a dB meter, using OPPOs internally generated test tones, throughout.
If you're trying to level match the various sources, you would want to use test tones (preferably the same file each time) from the sources as the internally generated test tones are going to be the same every time (or at least they better be). But I would hope that the levels would be the same if you're playing the same file from a USB hard drive, USB flash drive, over the network, etc. If the levels change, then something is very wrong. The only case where I could possibly see them being different would be when using the Async USB DAC input as that does change the signal path.
post #11265 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you're trying to level match the various sources, you would want to use test tones (preferably the same file each time) from the sources as the internally generated test tones are going to be the same every time (or at least they better be). But I would hope that the levels would be the same if you're playing the same file from a USB hard drive, USB flash drive, over the network, etc. If the levels change, then something is very wrong. The only case where I could possibly see them being different would be when using the Async USB DAC input as that does change the signal path.
I don't feel like it would be necessary to attempt to level match a flash drive vs. an external hard drive. The level is set by the recording parameters of the music, and expressed by the actual amplified playback device(s) in the chain: CD player, preamp, speakers, etc.. The drive the files are stored on is irrelevant to global volume levels, as far as I understand. The only level matching I'm doing is the OPPO's own output to itself, which I found behaves in a linear and consistent way. IE, when playing through a standard USB input, the trims on my fronts of -6.5 dB are active. When playing through the asynchronous DAC, which bypasses all speaker settings, the trims for the fronts will be 0.0. And the device does indeed measure out consistently, a change of 6.5 dB in the player produces a 6.5 dB difference in output at my sitting position.
The only variable in what I described earlier that could cause a global level change, would be if I were using different flacs from different sources. But I am not. I use the same pool of demo flacs for all inputs and input devices and input methods. The point I was trying to convey to Rich is exactly what you've said, the OPPO has a linear volume output, so when I adjust my manual volume control to compensate for the 6.5 dB difference between my standard USB inputs and my Asynchronous USB input, and then playback the very same file through both inputs, I am indeed hearing it at the same volume level. Thus, global volume differences between Asynchronous USB input and standard inputs is not the cause of one playback method sounding better or worse than the other. Of course, in some way there will be volume differences at fine frequency levels between the sources, or the playback would sound identical, which it doesn't. Something in the way the files are being transported and processed is what's making a difference. I can't control that. All I can do is compensate for the OPPO's own volume changes between running straight through the DAC, and not. Then we see which playback method has the most clear, dynamic sound, and that's the winner.

Omar
post #11266 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Expanding on GSR's point.

I would begin by backing up your settings and proceed with a factory reset. balance level with external source files, and trims/distance settings equal at zero when comparing file playback and the USB input.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #11267 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Expanding on GSR's point.

I would begin by backing up your settings and proceed with a factory reset. balance level with external source files, and trims/distance settings equal at zero when comparing file playback and the USB input.

- Rich

Why should I go through all that? I've done factory resets on my device (for other reasons), and the same difference has been present before and after. I've demonstrated this difference not only on my 105D, but on my BD-95, as well. There's no need to use external source files, because I use the exact same music file(s) when comparing the inputs and devices--thus eliminating that variable. Neither a flash drive nor an external hard drive amplifies sound, it merely is used to transmit digital data, so what relevance would there be to trying to level them? They are not playback devices, like a CD or tape player, they are just a digital source. I've never heard of someone leveling a flash stick, sorry if it seems a bit absurd to me and I'm missing something obvious I've been working all night...

Omar
post #11268 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Why should I go through all that? I've done factory resets on my device (for other reasons), and the same difference has been present before and after. I've demonstrated this difference not only on my 105D, but on my BD-95, as well. There's no need to use external source files, because I use the exact same music file(s) when comparing the inputs and devices--thus eliminating that variable. Neither a flash drive nor an external hard drive amplifies sound, it merely is used to transmit digital data, so what relevance would there be to trying to level them? They are not playback devices, like a CD or tape player, they are just a digital source. I've never heard of someone leveling a flash stick, sorry if it seems a bit absurd to me and I'm missing something obvious I've been working all night...

Omar
The post I originally responded to at least implied that you were using the internal test tones to level match between the 4 listening choices you listed. I was simply pointing out that if that was your intent, using the internal test tones isn't how you would go about accomplishing that.

I definitely agree that level matching a flash drive and a hard drive shouldn't be required.

You're also correct in saying that when using the Async DAC input, the effective volume trims are 0.0 because all processing in the Oppo gets bypassed, so compensating for that using the volume control makes sense.
post #11269 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Omar

My post was in reference to comparing the USB DAC input (which can have no processing) to the USB playback which does include processing.
For file playback, that is not be necessary, but personally, I like to simplify the configuration when unexplained results occur.

Perhaps, one USB "drive" is adding more noise to the system than the other. That's all I can come up with

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #11270 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been 2 months since the latest firmware was issued. Several bugs were found in the software but no correction has been done. I can understand perhaps if it was a beta but it wasn't. That is not right. Our units should be fully functional without buggy software (picture adjustment for contract enhancer cannot be set and you can not go backwards in your DVD using the back button if you have the DVD 24p Conversion on.)
post #11271 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
It has been 2 months since the latest firmware was issued. Several bugs were found in the software but no correction has been done. I can understand perhaps if it was a beta but it wasn't. That is not right. Our units should be fully functional without buggy software (picture adjustment for contract enhancer cannot be set and you can not go backwards in your DVD using the back button if you have the DVD 24p Conversion on.)
You need to direct these comments to OPPO.

-Bill
scirica likes this.
post #11272 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
^ Try reseating your HDMI plugs -- both ends of every cable in the signal path. The timing suggests you are getting a copy protection (HDCP) failure and the player is then doing continuous retries without success.
--Bob
Bob,

Sorry, I missed this reply. I've reseated the plugs as you suggested but working out if that has fixed the issue is a bit hard when the problem is intermittent and has only been occurring once every 3 or 4 days. Things worked fine on startup after reseating the plugs. I should be able to tell if it fixed the issue in a week or so.

I hate delayed gratification, I like to see results straight away. :-)

David
post #11273 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Rich and GSR,

I think the difference could be coming from a combination of a few things:

1) noise from internal power supply on external hard drive, or some kind of emf from the platters spinning.

2) bus congestion / I/O speeds of devices and ports

3) jitter

You'll note that regarding the four scenarios I listed, there is improvement in all these factors increasingly along the chain.

Asynchronous USB is prone to least jitter, Macbook with SSD drive has super fast I/O, no extra power supply for drive, no spinning platters, and it happens to be what sounds best. I would ascribe the slight step down in SQ with Macbook from SSD to flash drive being due to SSD being 3x faster on I/O, and not being subject to whatever tiny onboard cache the USB flash has, and possible bus congestion.

Continuing down the chain, flash drive will be much faster than an external spinner in every regard, and does not suffer from emf pollution for an internal power supply.

I wrote Damien, the author of Audirvana, for his suggestions when I was first setting up for asynchronous USB, and these were also his recommendations/reasonings to me. He recommended SSD internal drives, as well as a separated NAS for storage to eliminate power supply emf pollution. I've not bothered with the NAS yet, as I can fit my favorite selections comfortably on my SSD drive with no apparent performance hit (I keep it under 50% capacity). Before I wrote him, I was demoing a Mac Mini with a spinner drive and double the ram of what my current laptop has, and the laptop still sounded very noticeably better, so I retuned the Mini and went with the laptop. I'd like to have 16 gigs of ram, but 8 does well enough. I attribute the difference being due to SSD vs disk drive. All else is equivalent.

Another suggestion he made was to disable wifi in the laptop. This makes a noticeable difference. The lovely thing about trying this is that the change is instantaneous and does not interrupt playback. No pauses or clicks. Of course you'll have to use a wired Ethernet for your computer, but it's easy to hear the difference, switching wifi on and off. Emf pollution has a tangible effect on SQ.

This is why I keep all my equipment in a ten foot thick cement bunker, and submerge each piece in one gallon of SPF 100 sunblock, with not one, but two tinfoil hats on each piece. It's very important to be certain that the hats are molecularly at 90 degree angles to each other to ensure a polarizing effect that blocks out as much radiation as possible. The sunblock takes care of the rest, and ensures good vibration dampening, as well. LOL :-)

Omar

Quote:
My post was in reference to comparing the USB DAC input (which can have no processing) to the USB playback which does include processing.
For file playback, that is not be necessary, but personally, I like to simplify the configuration when unexplained results occur.

Perhaps, one USB "drive" is adding more noise to the system than the other. That's all I can come up with

- Rich

Last edited by OmarF; 07-11-2014 at 06:14 PM.
post #11274 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Jitter is not an issue with USB media file transfers. They are file transfers, not synchronous audio streams.

Ground loops or out of control RF interference are certainly possibilities. But that just says use a better external hard drive and/or check how things are powered.
--Bob

post #11275 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ Jitter is not an issue with USB media file transfers. They are file transfers, not synchronous audio streams.

Ground loops or out of control RF interference are certainly possibilities. But that just says use a better external hard drive and/or check how things are powered.
--Bob
In that case, would you think bussing, access and I/O transfer speeds would play the largest in differences across USB devices?

Omar
post #11276 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Not really. If the disk can't transfer the file fast enough you will get audio stalls -- not poor quality audio. Think about it. How could delivering the file too slowly produce audio that sounds correct, but of poorer quality?

In reality, audio file transfer rates are slow compared to what even inexpensive discs can accomplish. It's only when you consider video data rates that this could possibly be an issue.
--Bob

post #11277 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ Not really. If the disk can't transfer the file fast enough you will get audio stalls -- not poor quality audio. Think about it. How could delivering the file too slowly produce audio that sounds correct, but of poorer quality?

In reality, audio file transfer rates are slow compared to what even inexpensive discs can accomplish. It's only when you consider video data rates that this could possibly be an issue.
--Bob
Well, then I can't say exactly how to account for the differences I hear, but they are certainly there. I've reproduced them numerous times, they are very consistent. Something will turn up, eventually. ...Either that, or the entire format will change and it will become a meaningless question

Omar
post #11278 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I think electrical or RF interference are the most likely suspects. Is your external drive separately powered or does it draw power from the OPPO? Have you tried a different model of external drive? Have you tried a longer USB cable to position the drive further away from the player? Just some thoughts that might help nail this down.
--Bob

post #11279 of 11429 Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ I think electrical or RF interference are the most likely suspects. Is your external drive separately powered or does it draw power from the OPPO? Have you tried a different model of external drive? Have you tried a longer USB cable to position the drive further away from the player? Just some thoughts that might help nail this down.
--Bob
Well, the external drive is on the shelf above the one my 95 is on, about a good 3 feet away from it, so I don't think it's a proximity related issue. Perhaps the RF from the drive's internal power supply is being conducted along the USB cable into the OPPO's USB jack. IE, the live connection between the two ports creates a bridge for electrical artifact to travel along. I've seen electrical interference do this sort of thing in my line of work, actually. An external power supply *might* resolve this, but I don't give it any guarantees, because the interference could be transmitted down the power cord, along with the the power, into the external hard drive, then on to the OPPO. I see an effect like this every day at my work.

I am an EEG technologist (electrical brain studies), and our measuring electrodes on the scalp record very low voltage signals, in the realm of microvolts, thus they are very sensitive to electrical interference. On a daily basis, I have to ask people to unplug their cell phones, laptops, etc., while they are using them, because the device will conduct 60 Hz interference from the wall socket, right to our electrodes on the scalp, and blur our recordings with electrical artifact. If the device is plugged in, it's not usually a problem, so long as it's not in very close proximity to the person. If the device is plugged in and someone is touching it, horrible artifact.

What I suspect is happening, is the electrical signal in the wall is using the entire, nice big wet human body as a conductor and amplifier, and thus transmitting itself through the phone/laptop, right to the scalp electrodes. In fact, if the phone is plugged in and very close to the patient, we will still see artifact, just reduced. Once they touch the device, the artifact doubles or triples in size. If the device is unplugged, the artifact instantly disappears whether they are touching it or not. And remember that of course none of the internals on these personal devices are powered by AC, they have a battery that converts the AC into DC, and that should act as a sort of buffering stage, but obviously it's not enough to prevent transmission of electrical noise through the device to the patient, even through the air(!) Oh, and I should also mention that our equipment is grounded, as are the hospital wall sockets. And the ground electrode is on the scalp, as well, right where the recording leads are. But the interference is so strong, it still overwhelms our equipment.

As I said, I see this effect every day. So, it wouldn't surprise me at all, if the power supply for the external hard drive isn't setting up a similar electrical bridge for itself, running from USB port to USB port, between the hard drive and the OPPO. And it might just as easily set one up from a separated power supply, though the HD and to the OPPO.

Omar
post #11280 of 11429 Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I had to move the Asus router (with output boosted) away from my preamp because it was picking up RF.

Amirm posts some PC SPDIF jitter was increased when an HDMI input was connected and not in use.
So, I would say it is possible to introduce noise and affect the processing of a component.

- Rich
OmarF likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page