AVS Forum banner

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread

2M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  bsevern 
#1 · (Edited)
Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread

Official BDP-105 Website
OPPO BDP-103 & BDP-105 Blu-ray Q&A Interview
Asynchronous USB Drivers (Windows XP/Vista/7/8)
OPPO Wiki FAQ
Unofficial BDP-103 FAQ

UPDATED 07/18/2016 - Beta 83-0715B Firmware Released
UPDATED 11/06/2015 - Official 80-1031 Firmware Released
UPDATED 10/24/2014 - Official 77-0827 Firmware Released
UPDATED 09/12/2014 - Beta 77-0827B Firmware Released
UPDATED 05/19/2014 - Official 75-0515 Firmware Released
UPDATED 04/30/2014 - Beta 75-0430B Firmware Released
UPDATED 02/20/2014 - Official 70-0218 Firmware Released
UPDATED 02/12/2014 - Beta 69-0124B Firmware Released
UPDATED 01/13/2014 - BDP-105D (Darbee) Released
UPDATED 04/05/2013 - The Absolute Sound (Chris Martins) Review Posted
UPDATED 03/25/2013 - Sound+Vision (Al Griffin) Review Posted
UPDATED 02/19/2013 - Audiophile Audion (Brian Bloom) Review Posted
UPDATED 02/18/2013 - Jim Prillaman Review Posted
UPDATED 02/04/2013 - Audioholics (Gene DellaSala) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/28/2013 - From Script to DVD (William Kallay) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/25/2013 - Everything Audio Network (John Gatski) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/24/2013 - Home Theater (Kris Deering) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/10/2013 - DEG Emiel N. Petrone Innovation Best Physical Media Product awarded to BDP-105
UPDATED 12/20/2012 - LAAudiofile (Kevin Nakano) Review Posted
UPDATED 12/19/2012 - BDP-105 receives Product of the Year from Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi
UPDATED 12/05/2012 - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (John E. Johnson) Writeup
UPDATED 11/20/2012 - Buy Now: Ships November 26th
UPDATED 11/13/2012 - Special Order Invitations sent

Uniquely Better:

• 4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theater experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
  • 2D to 3D Conversion – Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-105 can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
  • Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-105. The BDP-105 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back, and the front HDMI input doubles as an MHL input.
  • USB Asynchronous DAC – By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105 turn any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105 can convert it to analog.
  • Coaxial/Optic Inputs – For additional convenience and flexibility, the BDP-105 can convert digital signals from cable and satellite boxes, televisions, video-game consoles and other digital transports with coaxial and optical digital outputs to analog.
  • DMP & DMR - Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) features enable wired or wireless access of audio, picture, and video files stored on DLNA-compatible digital media servers such as a computer or network storage device (NAS).
  • SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-105 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol.
  • Headphone Amplifier – For a more intimate listening experience, a pair of headphones can be connected directly to the BDP-105’s built-in headphone amplifiers. The headphone amplifier is connected directly to the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC and offers a unique performance advantage over standalone headphone amplifiers.
  • Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted disc loader, the BDP-105 is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite media.
  • Fanless Architecture – The BDP-105 is passively cooled, allowing it to run both cool and quiet without the need for internal or external fans.

High Fidelity Audio Performance:
  • SABRE32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world’s best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-105 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output. To learn more about the technologies behind the exceptional performance of the SABRE DAC, please read the SABRE Technical White Paper.
  • Toroidal Power Supply - A toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic fields over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The BDP-105's toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the critical audio components.
  • Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors - The BDP-105 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. The stereo output offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors. The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality.
  • 7.1-Channel Analog Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-105 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. The 7.1-channel analog output can also be configured to a stereo down-mix mode as a Zone 2 audio source.
  • Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
  • DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)

Diversified Media Support:
  • Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc™ format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
  • Blu-ray 3D – Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-105 supports the Blu-ray 3D specifications and is fully compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs1.
  • SACD - The BDP-105 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it to PCM.
  • DVD-Audio - The BDP-105 plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
  • VUDU HD Movie Streaming - Stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p video, rich 7.1 surround audio and even in 3D2.
  • Netflix Instant Streaming - Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix3. Netflix "Just For Kids" is a special selection of kid-friendly TV episodes & movies for younger viewers. It is included with your Netflix unlimited streaming membership. Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages.
  • Pandora Internet Radio - Personalized music streaming using the Music Genome Project, staying true to their mission: "Playing only the music you'll love".4
  • Comprehensive Internet Streaming - In addition to VUDU, Netflix and Pandora, the BDP-105 provides access to popular entertainment network services from Film Fresh, YouTube Leanback and Picasa, with more to come.
  • BD-Live & BonusVIEW - The BDP-105 supports BD-Live™ (Profile 2.0) and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet and wireless networking, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live. It also supports BonusVIEW (Profile 1.1) enabling "picture-in-picture" and audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
  • Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-105. The BDP-105 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats.5

Unparalleled Video Quality:
  • Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-105 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-105 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-105 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
  • DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and more true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
  • Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-105 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4K.
  • True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-105 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
  • Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-105 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
  • Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-105 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
  • Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
  • Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.

Ultimate Convenience:
  • Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-105 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-105 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.
  • MHL Input – Simplify connecting smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to the home theater by using the MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) input port of the BDP-105. Display high resolution pictures, 1080p video and listen to pure digital music all while simultaneously charging the connected mobile device. The front HDMI input port of the BDP-105 doubles as an MHL input.
  • Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from providers such as Netflix or VUDU, playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-105 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
  • Triple USB Ports - Three USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and two on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
  • PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-105 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
  • Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-105 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
  • World Power Supply - The BDP-105 features a world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. Voltage range from 100V-120V and 200V-240V can be selected by flipping a switch on the back panel.
  • External IR - For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-105 provides an external IR IN port to use with an IR distribution system.
  • RS232 Control - For custom installation, the BDP-105 offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favorite control systems to operate the BDP-105.
  • Remote Control Apps – For additional user convenience, the BDP-105 can be operated using remote control apps running on compatible smartphone and tablet devices. The remote control app for Android is already available. An app for Apple iOS devices is coming soon.
  • HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.
  • Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID™ - By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-105 can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files.

OPPO BDP-105 User's Manual
Unofficial BDP-103 FAQ (Applicable to the BDP-105)
OPPO Wiki FAQ

REVIEWS
The Absolute Sound (Chris Martins)
Sound+Vision (Al Griffin)
Audiophile Audion (Brian Bloom)
Jim Prillaman
Audioholics (Gene DellaSala)
From Script to DVD (William Kallay)
Everything Audio Network (John Gatski)
Home Theater (Kris Deering)
DEG Emiel N. Petrone Innovation 2012 Best Physical Media Product Award
LAAudiofile (Kevin Nakano)
Product of the Year from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (John E. Johnson) Writeup

FIRMWARE RELEASES
Check the Official BDP-103 Owner's Thread. I want to keep this thread more about the quality of the player, and less about software/firmware issues.

See less See more
#9,454 ·
Encountered a small problem with my setup. I have a xbr 4k TV and media player. The media player is connected directly to the TV. I am getting no audio when I use the 4K media player. In my previous setup the receiver was going directly to the TV so the ARC was sending the audio from the TV back to the marantz. Bypassing receiver and going from oppo to xbr is giving me no audio when I use the media player, any suggestions other than seperate hdmi's going from the TV ? It's a long cumbersome run between the TV and my rack

#9,455 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24450060

^ The supposed workaround was to bring up the folder's track list in the player's own media file browser screen -- just display the list -- and then switch to using the App. I don't know if this was ever confirmed.

--Bob

I've already tried that, plus a few other variations, but it has had no effect on the apparently random track selection.

I also have another problem with the MediaControl HD app - it doesn't always display the new contents of a folder after files have been added or moved. The only way I have found to make the app refresh folder contents in this situation is to switch my iPad off and on!

David

#9,457 ·
^. Theoretically, yes. But HDMI operates on the edge of failure, so sometimes adding another gadget in the HDMI path is enough to trigger problems.

These would be handshake (connection setup) problems. If the handshake works then a switch won't degrade the audio or video -- assuming the switch itself is spec'd as "For 1080p" or "high speed" or "Category 2" which all mean the same thing.

--Bob

#9,458 ·
Hopefully this is the correct forum for this question. I run the 105 2-channel only into a Vincent integrated amp. I had always used the volume of my amp, usually quite low since it's a beefy amp of 150 watts per channel, and had the Oppo volume fixed at 100%.

Recently, I decided to try the digital volume on the 105, usually ends up between 65-85 generally for the volume level I want, and have left the volume control on my amp at a little under half-way, about 11 o clock position.

It seems like it sounds better in this configuration, maybe I'm imagining , not sure but bass seems to be somewhat punchier etc.

What is others experience with this? Am I really getting benefit by leaving the volume up on my amp much more so than previously? I guess I've heard in the past that an amplifier really doesn't "open up" and display it's power until the volume is cranked up somewhat.

#9,459 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24450475

I've already tried that, plus a few other variations, but it has had no effect on the apparently random track selection.

I also have another problem with the MediaControl HD app - it doesn't always display the new contents of a folder after files have been added or moved. The only way I have found to make the app refresh folder contents in this situation is to switch my iPad off and on!

David
Hello David. It has been many months since I last posted about my workaround to prevent random track selection by the MediaControl HD app. After receiving your pm, I decided to see if my workaround was still functioning.....It is still working fine for me. First and foremost, playback from an attached usb drive is a must. Once you start the first track in one of your audio directories from Oppo's onscreen (tv) browser, you then startup the MediaControl app, and enter into the same track directory you initiated playback. Once you're there, you can tap the next track button in the MediaControl app to jump to the next track in sequence, or just let it automatically jump to the next sequential track in your directory after the previous track has finished playing. The onscreen display will update accordingly and maintain sequential track order.

For network drives, using the SMB protocol, I have seen a change in the functionality of track playback sequence from when I first found out about the workaround, but it is still buggy. If you initiate track playback as described above, then startup the MediaControl app, and enter the same track directory in your network drive that you started play back from, tapping the next track button will make the next track in your directory play back in proper order. The onscreen (tv) display, however, gets buggy. The display doesn't update for the next track, and the track "play back" display doesn't show up like it does for the attached usb drive. If I continue to tap the next track button on the MediaControl app, the tracks continue to play back in sequential order. The results are different than I recall some months back. I remember not even being able to play back my tracks in sequential order using a network drive (SMB).

I haven't used the MediaControl app for a while now. It's still too buggy for me, and crashes from time to time...

#9,461 ·
Hi Dan,

Thanks for checking out that topic again on my behalf. All my media files are on a NAS and my tests of playing order when using MediaControl HD have been done on a folder containing five MKV files, which are in the correct sequence when the filenames are listed in alphabetic order.

Unfortunately, starting the playback sequence via the Oppo's own interface and then switching over to the app does not work for me. Track 2 was played correctly after Track 1 but the third track was Track 5. Perhaps things work differently for video files than the audio files I assume you were testing. Your comments about the TV display being a little odd were not relevant to me as the TV is being used for my video, not the Oppo status.

The MediaControl HD app is indeed a bit rough round the edges but I am still using it for most of my video selection purposes. In normal circumstances, correct track ordering is not such a big issue with video, as most movies will just involve the selection of a single file. My current problem arises from a desire to play a series of short video files during a talk I am giving. The only obvious solution appears to be combining them into a single MKV.

Combining my files would also get around another irritation, i.e. the current inability of the BDP-105 to observe default VOB/SUB subtitle selections in an MKV file, The Oppo always defaults to no subtitles, which means that I have to reselect the subtitles for each MKV file in my folder. I emailed Oppo earlier today to ask if this is likely to be fixed in a future firmware update.
EDIT on 10 March 2014: Oppo pointed out that I needed 'Setup Menu > Playback Setup > Language > Subtitle language = Auto' for MKV subtitle defaults to be observed. Ooops! Should have read the manual more carefully...

David

#9,462 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24451534

Hello is there a way to assign the "red/green/blue/yellow buttons on the remote? Example red button for optical input.Blue for HDMI output back. Etc.
No.

Using a programmable remote (such as Harmony) you can send the two button sequence Input-number which will directly select that number line in what would otherwise come up as the Input pop up on screen. For example, Input-1 selects "Blu-ray Player".

--Bob

#9,463 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9420#post_24448999

DRC is used to compress the audio. The Dynamic Volume is something totally different.

I have mine set at "AUTO", but I noticed I liked the sound much better when set to "OFF" so I changed it.. How are others out there set to?

This may be a coincidence, but I was watching Gone in 60 Seconds tonight and with DRC set to "OFF" it blew my tweeter on my center.

Center is about 12 years old so I'm not sure what caused it to go. Will order a new tweeter, but I'm wondering if my setting DRC to OFF may have caused the problem.

#9,464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9400_100#post_24454560

I have mine set at "AUTO", but I noticed I liked the sound much better when set to "OFF" so I changed it.. How are others out there set to?

This may be a coincidence, but I was watching Gone in 60 Seconds tonight and with DRC set to "OFF" it blew my tweeter on my center.

Center is about 12 years old so I'm not sure what caused it to go. Will order a new tweeter, but I'm wondering if my setting DRC to OFF may have caused the problem.
Some movie soundtracks will intionally use DRC in the audio mix, thus it is recommended to leave it on auto.

However I think a lot of people leave it turned off without issues, and most likely your tweeter failure was just a coincidence.

Then again maybe not if you are listening at ear-bleeding levels. :D

#9,465 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9390#post_24426854

Jazzy, thanks. I was wondering because DNLAing the same files off my computer by direct cable Ethernet doesn't sound as good as playing off the external hard drive. Before I went and bought a mac mini and went through all the trouble of setting it all up, I was wondering if the port/connection type made a difference in this case.

Omar

My experience with DLNA music to 105 is indistinguishable from external hard drive or thumb drive or sacd or cd. Are you using jriver media player.

#9,466 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24455699

My experience with DLNA music to 105 is indistinguishable from external hard drive or thumb drive or sacd or cd. Are you using jriver media player.
No - but you need to be sure that the DLNA server is not doing any transcoding.

With transcoding off, the Oppo is receiving EXACTLY the same bits and bytes as it would get from a hard drive or SMB connection. At that point, any difference you hear would be the result of expectation fooling you into THINKING that you hear a difference.

Expectation DOES alter perception - and managing expectation to ensure accurate perception is one of the great challenges with audio.

#9,467 ·
Hi,

Jim from post 8989 here, just placed my order for the 105 (D actually). Yea, I know "what took ya?"

Thanks for all of your advice and the great questions and comments in this thread, it's been so helpful.

Funny thing though, immediately after clicking the "place order" icon at the Oppo web store, I immediately started to think that much of my other gear suddenly became inadequite, and may need replacing....Hmmm... I hadn't thought this player was going to cost that much!

Cheers, and thanks again

Jim

#9,468 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24455775

No - but you need to be sure that the DLNA server is not doing any transcoding.

With transcoding off, the Oppo is receiving EXACTLY the same bits and bytes as it would get from a hard drive or SMB connection. At that point, any difference you hear would be the result of expectation fooling you into THINKING that you hear a difference.

Expectation DOES alter perception - and managing expectation to ensure accurate perception is one of the great challenges with audio.
I agree with you 100%, but you will fail(or have an extremely difficult time trying) to convince someone who thinks there is a difference in the quality of audio in playing the same digital file from a usb thumb drive as opposed to an eSata drive, or any other interface/protocol (async usb, dlna (transcode free), smb, etc) thru the same media player . They will think you are the person who doesn't understand what they're hearing, and will never agree with you. It's pointless to continue any discussion with them....Their perception will always trump your logic....until one day (maybe never) they finally understand it.

#9,469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24456528

I agree with you 100%, but you will fail(or have an extremely difficult time trying) to convince someone who thinks there is a difference in the quality of audio in playing the same digital file from a usb thumb drive as opposed to an eSata drive, or any other interface/protocol (async usb, dlna (transcode free), smb, etc) thru the same media player . They will think you are the person who doesn't understand what they're hearing, and will never agree with you. It's pointless to continue any discussion with them....Their perception will always trump your logic....until one day (maybe never) they finally understand it.

Why would you want to "convince" someone of something you can't hear? Unless you are standing in the room with them listening to their system you have no idea what is and is not audible in their system. You are the person who doesn't understand what they are hearing becasue you are not there.

Agreed the data is the same, absolutely...but there are many other factors involved than just the data. As I pointed out a few pages back...a hard drive that I connected to the usb input did not produce the same audible quality as the same files over dlna or via a thumb drive, and that was unexpected, but none the less valid. Logicly the drive should sound the same...and there is logic in why it does not.

#9,470 ·

Is there a thread somewhere that states the exact types of media formats the BDP-105 plays? I've checked the FAQs, but it's not thorough enough.

(Example: MP3, FLAC, AAC,...etc")

#9,471 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24457789

Is there a thread somewhere that states the exact types of media formats the BDP-105 plays? I've checked the FAQs, but it's not thorough enough.

(Example: MP3, FLAC, AAC,...etc")

Aren't they listed in the FAQ here: What are the supported media container and file types?

-Bill

#9,472 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9450#post_24454560

Sounds like pure coincidence to me. I have DRC set to off since I purchased the player and all is well. Sorry to hear of your blown tweeter. Hope you can find another at a reasonable price.

#9,473 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9420#post_24430845

WELCOME TO THE AVS FORUMS !!!

I don't have any first hand experience with your your current gear, but the 105 is known for having superb analog audio quality.

I would surmise that it would sound just as good or better that your old player.

As far as the actual analog connections, you can setup the audio so that it uses the dedicated stereo outputs as the front L/R channels for surround sound,

OR you can just use the standard 7.1 connections for surround, and then also use the the dedicated stereo output for stereo and other 2CH audio.

There are many different options and settings to choose from.

Just as well, you could also set the downmix options in the player to downmix everything to 2CH and use only the dedicated stereo output as well as other downmix options.

Oppo has pretty much covered all the bases with the audio connections and downmix options.

Some people also (including myself) choose to use the player as a preamp and run analog audio directly to quality power amps, and once again the sound is superb IMHO.

Also check out the first post in this thread for a ton of more info and links to reviews etc...

So to use it as a pre amp the only thing I need to do is to set the Oppo Speaker Conf -> Audio Processing -> Power On Volume setting to 0 yes.

Anything else?

Also if I want to use bit discs do I also plug the L/R dedicated and then the five other channels?

#9,474 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9420#post_24436003

1.  Yup.  I've done this.

2.  USB, no.  Ethernet, yes.

3.  No movies.  Just music.

so I I plug in my Mac mini into the USB that won't' work? I a m looking to get DIRAC

#9,475 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/9400_100#post_24459138

So to use it as a pre amp the only thing I need to do is to set the Oppo Speaker Conf -> Audio Processing -> Power On Volume setting to 0 yes.

Anything else?

Also if I want to use bit discs do I also plug the L/R dedicated and then the five other channels?
There are other speaker distance and trim settings, and crossover setting for subwoofer if you have any speakers set to "small".

"Power on" volume set to -0- will have your audio on mute when the player is turned on, which is fine if that is how you want it to power on.

I like mine set around 40 or 50.

Yes you can use the dedicated stereo L/R output to power the front L/R channels, and then connect the standard multichannel jacks for the rest of your surround sound.