35Likes

post #11371 of 11379 Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
Is that the only way to defeat the signal being re-digitalized by my AVR? If so, that's not good because my current system sounds quite bad if I don't use audyssey. That problem could be based on my cheap BD player (with CD's) or my large reflective room with other types of playback (USB etc). I don't currently have a 105 so I can't test the difference.
Well, you can get 105 and swap it with 103 if you don't like it. You will be out of shipping, but you get to have it for a month an have a chance to tweak it to your liking. At least you will not have "what if" questions if you tried it yourself in your room.
However, from your description it looks like you like the sound with Audyssey. 105 will not fix a bad room, so 103 might be a good choice.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch

Last edited by Sam1000; 07-31-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ Oppo's USB DAC interface only supports 2-ch audio.
You don't need to set hdmi audio to off. If you set SACD Output to DSD, the currently active Oppo hdmi outputs communicating to devices that don't support DSD audio streams will have their audio muted. This ensures that DSD Direct -to-analog will take place without PCM conversion. The 10x players cannot do DSD-Direct to analog and PCM at the same time. Also, the 105D has the capability to send DSD streams via its hdmi 1 or 2 outputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
For mch, you must use HDMI or one of the USB "A" inputs.
Thanks guys. It seems to be that the 105D will NEVER output DSD to the HDMI output if you use its USB DAC. No matter what settings you use, it always turns off HDMI audio. However, if I play the same DSD tracks from a USB stick, they play fine across HDMI, both stereo and mch, and are recognised properly as DSD data streams by the CX-A5000. Does this gel with your experiences?
post #11373 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is anyone else having problems playing SACDs?

I seem to get a LOT of dropouts, but the media is clean and if I go back and play those sections again they play just fine, then a few seconds later I get another dropout.

Rather frustrating, and something that did not happen when the unit was new.
post #11374 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Thanks guys. It seems to be that the 105D will NEVER output DSD to the HDMI output if you use its USB DAC. No matter what settings you use, it always turns off HDMI audio. However, if I play the same DSD tracks from a USB stick, they play fine across HDMI, both stereo and mch, and are recognised properly as DSD data streams by the CX-A5000. Does this gel with your experiences?
Yup. The "USB DAC" input is limited compared to what one can do with the other USB inputs, imho.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #11375 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Is anyone else having problems playing SACDs?

I seem to get a LOT of dropouts, but the media is clean and if I go back and play those sections again they play just fine, then a few seconds later I get another dropout.

Rather frustrating, and something that did not happen when the unit was new.
Sounds like your laser lens may need cleaning. Give OPPO Tech Support a call.

If you are using HDMI Audio when you hear this, try disconnecting the HDMI cables and see if it still happens on the Analog audio outputs. If not, them you may need to reseat or upgrade your HDMI cables.
--Bob
post #11376 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
I can't check this for you since my Anthem D2v does not accept HDMI DSD input, but I'll see if one of the other Beta Testers can confirm this.

In the interim, double-check that you are sending single rate stereo DSD to the 105D's Asynchronous USB DAC Input. In the latest firmware that input will also accept double rate stereo DSD, but I don't believe HDMI can carry that.

For testing HDMI audio output with this, use the setting SACD Output DSD.

Similarly, in the latest firmware, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D can accept stereo LPCM up to 384KHz. But HDMI only carries up to 192KHz. So input *ABOVE* 192KHz is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The HDMI and Optical/Coax outputs are muted.

Also note that there's a separate thread here for the 105D, so to get the best chance of getting an answer from someone using that player, post in that thread:

Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11377 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I can't check this for you since my Anthem D2v does not accept HDMI DSD input, but I'll see if one of the other Beta Testers can confirm this.

In the interim, double-check that you are sending single rate stereo DSD to the 105D's Asynchronous USB DAC Input. In the latest firmware that input will also accept double rate stereo DSD, but I don't believe HDMI can carry that.

For testing HDMI audio output with this, use the setting SACD Output DSD.

Similarly, in the latest firmware, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D can accept stereo LPCM up to 384KHz. But HDMI only carries up to 192KHz. So input *ABOVE* 192KHz is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The HDMI and Optical/Coax outputs are muted.

Also note that there's a separate thread here for the 105D, so to get the best chance of getting an answer from someone using that player, post in that thread:

Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread

--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yup. The "USB DAC" input is limited compared to what one can do with the other USB inputs, imho.
Thanks! Interesting information about new capabilities, Bob. I am currently using the sample DSD64 files from the Oppo web site. The Oppo says it is properly receiving DSD 2.0 from JRiver, and I have SACD set to DSD. But HDMI1 audio is always muted. Same settings playing the same files via USB works fine across HDMI. So I guess it just must be a limitation of the USB DAC, at least at present.

Didn't know about the dedicated thread. I'll definitely post there for confirmation.

Thanks again, guys.
post #11378 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, I got the answer on this. The chips used in the 105D have only so many data paths available. When the USB DAC Input hardware detects an incoming PCM stream it is able to use a clever trick to pass that data to the rest of the system (in addition to what goes to the DACs for Analog output). That trick works up to LPCM 2.0 192KHz. However that trick does NOT work if the incoming stream is DSD.

So yes, a DSD stream fed into the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D will only be available for output on the Analog audio outputs -- and without any audio processing except for Volume control. LPCM 2.0 input to the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, up to 192KHz, will also be presented for output on the Digital audio outputs. Above 192KHz, it, too, is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The Analog output is unprocessed except for Volume control. The Digital output is unprocessed except for Mute.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11379 of 11379 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ OK, I got the answer on this. The chips used in the 105D have only so many data paths available. When the USB DAC Input hardware detects an incoming PCM stream it is able to use a clever trick to pass that data to the rest of the system (in addition to what goes to the DACs for Analog output). That trick works up to LPCM 2.0 192KHz. However that trick does NOT work if the incoming stream is DSD.

So yes, a DSD stream fed into the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D will only be available for output on the Analog audio outputs -- and without any audio processing except for Volume control. LPCM 2.0 input to the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, up to 192KHz, will also be presented for output on the Digital audio outputs. Above 192KHz, it, too, is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The Analog output is unprocessed except for Volume control. The Digital output is unprocessed except for Mute.
--Bob
Great stuff - thanks Bob. Always nice to know things are behaving properly!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page