63Likes

post #11371 of 11578 Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee-man View Post
Is that the only way to defeat the signal being re-digitalized by my AVR? If so, that's not good because my current system sounds quite bad if I don't use audyssey. That problem could be based on my cheap BD player (with CD's) or my large reflective room with other types of playback (USB etc). I don't currently have a 105 so I can't test the difference.
Well, you can get 105 and swap it with 103 if you don't like it. You will be out of shipping, but you get to have it for a month an have a chance to tweak it to your liking. At least you will not have "what if" questions if you tried it yourself in your room.
However, from your description it looks like you like the sound with Audyssey. 105 will not fix a bad room, so 103 might be a good choice.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend HTM200
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch

Last edited by Sam1000; 07-31-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11372 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ Oppo's USB DAC interface only supports 2-ch audio.
You don't need to set hdmi audio to off. If you set SACD Output to DSD, the currently active Oppo hdmi outputs communicating to devices that don't support DSD audio streams will have their audio muted. This ensures that DSD Direct -to-analog will take place without PCM conversion. The 10x players cannot do DSD-Direct to analog and PCM at the same time. Also, the 105D has the capability to send DSD streams via its hdmi 1 or 2 outputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
For mch, you must use HDMI or one of the USB "A" inputs.
Thanks guys. It seems to be that the 105D will NEVER output DSD to the HDMI output if you use its USB DAC. No matter what settings you use, it always turns off HDMI audio. However, if I play the same DSD tracks from a USB stick, they play fine across HDMI, both stereo and mch, and are recognised properly as DSD data streams by the CX-A5000. Does this gel with your experiences?
post #11373 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is anyone else having problems playing SACDs?

I seem to get a LOT of dropouts, but the media is clean and if I go back and play those sections again they play just fine, then a few seconds later I get another dropout.

Rather frustrating, and something that did not happen when the unit was new.
post #11374 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Thanks guys. It seems to be that the 105D will NEVER output DSD to the HDMI output if you use its USB DAC. No matter what settings you use, it always turns off HDMI audio. However, if I play the same DSD tracks from a USB stick, they play fine across HDMI, both stereo and mch, and are recognised properly as DSD data streams by the CX-A5000. Does this gel with your experiences?
Yup. The "USB DAC" input is limited compared to what one can do with the other USB inputs, imho.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11375 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Is anyone else having problems playing SACDs?

I seem to get a LOT of dropouts, but the media is clean and if I go back and play those sections again they play just fine, then a few seconds later I get another dropout.

Rather frustrating, and something that did not happen when the unit was new.
Sounds like your laser lens may need cleaning. Give OPPO Tech Support a call.

If you are using HDMI Audio when you hear this, try disconnecting the HDMI cables and see if it still happens on the Analog audio outputs. If not, them you may need to reseat or upgrade your HDMI cables.
--Bob
post #11376 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I can't check this for you since my Anthem D2v does not accept HDMI DSD input, but I'll see if one of the other Beta Testers can confirm this.

In the interim, double-check that you are sending single rate stereo DSD to the 105D's Asynchronous USB DAC Input. In the latest firmware that input will also accept double rate stereo DSD, but I don't believe HDMI can carry that.

For testing HDMI audio output with this, use the setting SACD Output DSD.

Similarly, in the latest firmware, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D can accept stereo LPCM up to 384KHz. But HDMI only carries up to 192KHz. So input *ABOVE* 192KHz is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The HDMI and Optical/Coax outputs are muted.

Also note that there's a separate thread here for the 105D, so to get the best chance of getting an answer from someone using that player, post in that thread:

Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread

--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #11377 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I can't check this for you since my Anthem D2v does not accept HDMI DSD input, but I'll see if one of the other Beta Testers can confirm this.

In the interim, double-check that you are sending single rate stereo DSD to the 105D's Asynchronous USB DAC Input. In the latest firmware that input will also accept double rate stereo DSD, but I don't believe HDMI can carry that.

For testing HDMI audio output with this, use the setting SACD Output DSD.

Similarly, in the latest firmware, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D can accept stereo LPCM up to 384KHz. But HDMI only carries up to 192KHz. So input *ABOVE* 192KHz is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The HDMI and Optical/Coax outputs are muted.

Also note that there's a separate thread here for the 105D, so to get the best chance of getting an answer from someone using that player, post in that thread:

Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread

--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Yup. The "USB DAC" input is limited compared to what one can do with the other USB inputs, imho.
Thanks! Interesting information about new capabilities, Bob. I am currently using the sample DSD64 files from the Oppo web site. The Oppo says it is properly receiving DSD 2.0 from JRiver, and I have SACD set to DSD. But HDMI1 audio is always muted. Same settings playing the same files via USB works fine across HDMI. So I guess it just must be a limitation of the USB DAC, at least at present.

Didn't know about the dedicated thread. I'll definitely post there for confirmation.

Thanks again, guys.
post #11378 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, I got the answer on this. The chips used in the 105D have only so many data paths available. When the USB DAC Input hardware detects an incoming PCM stream it is able to use a clever trick to pass that data to the rest of the system (in addition to what goes to the DACs for Analog output). That trick works up to LPCM 2.0 192KHz. However that trick does NOT work if the incoming stream is DSD.

So yes, a DSD stream fed into the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D will only be available for output on the Analog audio outputs -- and without any audio processing except for Volume control. LPCM 2.0 input to the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, up to 192KHz, will also be presented for output on the Digital audio outputs. Above 192KHz, it, too, is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The Analog output is unprocessed except for Volume control. The Digital output is unprocessed except for Mute.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #11379 of 11578 Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
^ OK, I got the answer on this. The chips used in the 105D have only so many data paths available. When the USB DAC Input hardware detects an incoming PCM stream it is able to use a clever trick to pass that data to the rest of the system (in addition to what goes to the DACs for Analog output). That trick works up to LPCM 2.0 192KHz. However that trick does NOT work if the incoming stream is DSD.

So yes, a DSD stream fed into the Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 105D will only be available for output on the Analog audio outputs -- and without any audio processing except for Volume control. LPCM 2.0 input to the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, up to 192KHz, will also be presented for output on the Digital audio outputs. Above 192KHz, it, too, is only available for output on the Analog audio outputs. The Analog output is unprocessed except for Volume control. The Digital output is unprocessed except for Mute.
--Bob
Great stuff - thanks Bob. Always nice to know things are behaving properly!
lanping09 likes this.
post #11380 of 11578 Old 08-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello. I have been experiencing 'lock up' while switching oppo's input from HDMI to HDMI (front <> back). By 'lock up' i mean lost of audio/video (black screen on the tv) and oppo only recognize the power on/off commands from the remote. This does not happen all the time but frequent enough (1/3 perhaps). A power cycle usually fixes the problem but still it is kind of annoying. I do have the latest firmware.

The front HDMI is connected to my tivo and the back HDMI is connected to my windows laptop.

Has anyone experienced similar issue?

Shadow Fox

post #11381 of 11578 Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHadoWFoX View Post
Hello. I have been experiencing 'lock up' while switching oppo's input from HDMI to HDMI (front <> back). By 'lock up' i mean lost of audio/video (black screen on the tv) and oppo only recognize the power on/off commands from the remote. This does not happen all the time but frequent enough (1/3 perhaps). A power cycle usually fixes the problem but still it is kind of annoying. I do have the latest firmware.

The front HDMI is connected to my tivo and the back HDMI is connected to my windows laptop.

Has anyone experienced similar issue?
Yes, I've had quite a few lock ups when switching inputs on my 105D. Same as you, have to power cycle and start over.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #11382 of 11578 Old 08-03-2014, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Sounds like your laser lens may need cleaning. Give OPPO Tech Support a call.

If you are using HDMI Audio when you hear this, try disconnecting the HDMI cables and see if it still happens on the Analog audio outputs. If not, them you may need to reseat or upgrade your HDMI cables.
--Bob
This is using the XLR two channel outputs.

Note I have zero issues playing video discs, either DVD or Blu-ray.

This only seems to happen with SACD.
lanping09 likes this.
post #11383 of 11578 Old 08-03-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Yes, I've had quite a few lock ups when switching inputs on my 105D. Same as you, have to power cycle and start over.
Ditto....105 minus the 'D'.
post #11384 of 11578 Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know how much power the 105 draws when in "quick" standby mode?
post #11385 of 11578 Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
Does anyone know how much power the 105 draws when in "quick" standby mode?
This is the only information within the current user manual: -

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #11386 of 11578 Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM

I contacted Oppo, and they said the unit uses 7 watts in "quick start" mode.
Joe Appierto likes this.
post #11387 of 11578 Old 08-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

... If so, then your AVR is definitely at fault as there is no such thing as "jitter" when sending a Bitstream over HDMI (because the Bitstream data gets decoded in the AVR and jitter can only happen AFTER that point and before the data reaches the AVR's DACs).
I did find some more information from Charles Hansern about bitstream versus LPCM jitter.

Here is is: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=hirez&m=273371
post #11388 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Iphone playback ?

Is there anyway to connect a iphone to the Oppo 105 from a physical cable for playback ? Meaning can I plug my iphone via the usb lighting jack and use the oppo dac ? when I plug in my laptop it works but when connect my iphone I cannot get the oppo to recognize the audio ??? I just assumed the iphone work be able to play thru the oppo....
post #11389 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ To play from it as a USB storage device, no.

You can use Apple's Lightning to HDMI adapter into an HDMI Input, or you can use one of the streaming apps over your house network.
--Bob
post #11390 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
^ To play from it as a USB storage device, no.

You can use Apple's Lightning to HDMI adapter into an HDMI Input, or you can use one of the streaming apps over your house network.
--Bob
So how does that work, the HDMI input? Assume same for 103?
post #11391 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks! Interesting information about new capabilities, Bob. I am currently using the sample DSD64 files from the Oppo web site. The Oppo says it is properly receiving DSD 2.0 from JRiver, and I have SACD set to DSD. But HDMI1 audio is always muted. Same settings playing the same files via USB works fine across HDMI. So I guess it just must be a limitation of the USB DAC, at least at present.

Didn't know about the dedicated thread. I'll definitely post there for confirmation.

Thanks again, guys.
Oppo says dsd is only passed thru Hdmi 2 off the 105 D. Hdmi 1 will not work.
post #11392 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ That's correct for the original 105, but the newer 105D no longer has that restriction. HDMI DSD output is available on either HDMI 1 or 2 on the 105D.
--Bob
post #11393 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
So how does that work, the HDMI input? Assume same for 103?
Select that using the Input button upper right on the remote and play audio/video sent out by the iPhone.

The iPhone will mirror what it's doing for audio/video unless you use an app which knows to send something different.

Yes, same for 103.
--Bob
post #11394 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Bob,

Thanks! I was hoping this would work on an Ipod Classic as I have lossless on that but only IPod Touch Gen 4. My IPhone 5s has music compressed (256).
post #11395 of 11578 Old 08-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have a BDP-105D coming by the weekend. Help me understand this "break in" period that I see referenced in many posts.

What exactly is taking place during this break in period?

I know about break in periods for speakers and headphones, but I don't understand how something like the 105D would change over time. It seems to me that only the disc moves and everything else is stationary electronics.

Thanks

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #11396 of 11578 Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
I have a BDP-105D coming by the weekend. Help me understand this "break in" period that I see referenced in many posts.

What exactly is taking place during this break in period?

I know about break in periods for speakers and headphones, but I don't understand how something like the 105D would change over time. It seems to me that only the disc moves and everything else is stationary electronics.

Thanks
Break-ins are one of those things that some people believe in and others don't. One theory says that nothing happens in the unit during break-in but in the listener who adapts to the sound of the unit over time. Others speak of capacitors and other components settling in and the like. You'll get different opinions as to whether anything is really happening. I don't think there is a definitive answer.

Specifically as relates to the 105. Some people believe that the sound quality improves during the first couple of hundred hours of use. I never noticed any real change with my 105. You may come to a different conclusion.
gsr likes this.

post #11397 of 11578 Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 707
I noticed a HUGE difference when I first pushed the Power Button to On! Holy Moly!!!
lanping09 likes this.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #11398 of 11578 Old 08-12-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I noticed a HUGE difference when I first pushed the Power Button to On! Holy Moly!!!
+1

post #11399 of 11578 Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I also posted this in the BDP-103 thread.

Note to those of you using Windows 8.1 who would like to use SMB with your Oppo player.

The documentation for today's (8/12/14) second Windows 8.1 update indicates that it addresses issues with SMB drives not working. I have not tested this since I don't currently have an SMB setup. Some of you who do and have this version of Windows might want to do the update and try it. I know that SMB has never worked with Windows 8.x. It may work with this update.

By the way, this is a second optional update in addition to the regular monthly Windows updates. If you have automatic updates turned on, it should install automatically after the regular update are installed. If you don't allow automatic updates, use Check for Updates in Windows Update and be sure to install all pending security updates before installing this one (they are a prerequisite, it seems). You may need to reboot several times. You can also get the update file (and see what other issues it addresses) here: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

Last edited by JazzGuyy; 08-13-2014 at 04:24 AM.
post #11400 of 11578 Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 PM

105D+Kuro 151+The Fifth Element BD=Perfection!
scirica and keikihula like this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page