Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #11401 of 11417 Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have had my 103 for a year and love it with my Marantz SR7007

I'm getting a 105D and moving the 103 to another room.

I am also pretty excited about hearing the stereo output from the 105 played through my vintage receivers. I'm a vintage audio gear nut. But I will still run it through the Marantz SR7007 for movies.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11402 of 11417 Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Break-ins are one of those things that some people believe in and others don't. One theory says that nothing happens in the unit during break-in but in the listener who adapts to the sound of the unit over time. Others speak of capacitors and other components settling in and the like. You'll get different opinions as to whether anything is really happening. I don't think there is a definitive answer.

Specifically as relates to the 105. Some people believe that the sound quality improves during the first couple of hundred hours of use. I never noticed any real change with my 105. You may come to a different conclusion.
Yes a polarizing subject.
I feel that my system sounds better after actively playing for 20-30 minutes or so but this is a repeating process that happens every time I turn it on, again YMMV.
What I have never understood about "break in" per se is if you do believe in break in what makes you think that it automatically ceases at a given optimal point?
Logically(or not), wouldn't this break in effect continue throughout the life of the component?
Does this break in make the component sound continually better as time goes until it wears out or is there a bell in the curve where essentially break in turns into break down?
It doesn't seem to me that break in is a graph line that continues on an upward path to infinity and beyond
Just thinking out loud.
Not taking one side or another.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #11403 of 11417 Old 08-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
H Ruudje. Yes. I even returned my player to JVB, but they said they noticed nothing. They returned the OPPO, I changed router, cables, etc but no change. Now I read what could be the issue.
At least that seems to be the first step to a resolution. Next step is that OPPO confirms this. (Bjorn from OPPO support tells me, there is no known issue).
I just wrote a mail to JVB (distributor in the Netherlands) about this posting. See what happens now.
Yesterday I received following mail from Oppo concerning the framerate:

Dear Mark

I think i misunderstood you if it is jagging when panning this is a known issue and setting it to 60Hz is the only way to fix it for now as the Netflix app does not recognize the Hz correctly.
We are looking to find a solution to this so that it auto change Hz.

Best Regards
Bjorn
OPPO European Support Engineer

So, I hope it will be fixed soon..
SeeMoreDigital and lanping09 like this.
post #11404 of 11417 Old 08-13-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland108 View Post
Yesterday I received following mail from Oppo concerning the framerate:

Dear Mark

I think i misunderstood you if it is jagging when panning this is a known issue and setting it to 60Hz is the only way to fix it for now as the Netflix app does not recognize the Hz correctly.
We are looking to find a solution to this so that it auto change Hz.

Best Regards
Bjorn
OPPO European Support Engineer

So, I hope it will be fixed soon..
Yes hopefully,

Yesterday I forgot to change my Oppo's 'TV System' setting from Multi-Standard to NTSC and when I visited the USA version of Netflix and played 'Erased' (Rated R @ 1h 44m), the Oppo passed a 50Hz signal to my TV instead of 60Hz. Sufficed to say, the displayed video was full of motion judder.

Anyway, it's re-assuring to know that Oppo are aware of the issue. Thanks Mark

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #11405 of 11417 Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
I also posted this in the BDP-103 thread.

Note to those of you using Windows 8.1 who would like to use SMB with your Oppo player.

The documentation for today's (8/12/14) second Windows 8.1 update indicates that it addresses issues with SMB drives not working. I have not tested this since I don't currently have an SMB setup. Some of you who do and have this version of Windows might want to do the update and try it. I know that SMB has never worked with Windows 8.x. It may work with this update.

By the way, this is a second optional update in addition to the regular monthly Windows updates. If you have automatic updates turned on, it should install automatically after the regular update are installed. If you don't allow automatic updates, use Check for Updates in Windows Update and be sure to install all pending security updates before installing this one (they are a prerequisite, it seems). You may need to reboot several times. You can also get the update file (and see what other issues it addresses) here: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

AMEN to this, finally SMB works! I've been waiting for ages for that issue to be fixed on windows 8.1
Happy 105 owner
post #11406 of 11417 Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM

Hello lads. Does anyone knows if Oppo 105 supports ReplayGain on .Flac?

Thank you
post #11407 of 11417 Old 08-18-2014, 07:47 AM

Thank you
post #11408 of 11417 Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post

Thank you
In short, no!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #11409 of 11417 Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
In short, no!
Ok, Thanks
post #11410 of 11417 Old 08-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Liked: 0
So I got an OPPO BDP-105 player about 3 months ago.
This feeds into a Rotel Pre/Power (stereo) combo with my beloved Pro-Ject turntable and Canton Vento speakers - I'm happy with the system.

I'm using a NAS drive with ALAC rips for digital music playback via the app which works nicely.

How do most people rip and stream their BD/DVD collection? (I mostly use Mac but have Windows too)
I'll probably look at a bigger NAS soon (4GB currently).

I would like to rip my BD/DVDs (Full HD for the BDs and native res for the DVDs) and store them on the NAS.
I would like to playback across the network (ethernet).

What formats do most people use for video?
Pros and cons?

I'm looking for quality - not so worried about file size. (I'm more of a music guy so I don;t have thousands)

Thank you in advance.
post #11411 of 11417 Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRnis200 View Post
How do most people rip and stream their BD/DVD collection? (I mostly use Mac but have Windows too)

I would like to rip my BD/DVDs (Full HD for the BDs and native res for the DVDs) and store them on the NAS.

Pros and cons?
Easiest solution: MakeMKV, which is cross-platform. Does both DVD and Blu-ray.

For more, see this thread: Ripping Blu-Rays II

-Bill
post #11412 of 11417 Old 08-19-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRnis200 View Post

Pros and cons?
The majority of my DVD and Blu-ray disc back-ups are saved to the Matroska (.mkv) container. All contain the native video and audio streams along with chapters.

I store my movies on a large capacity USB3 NTFS formatted external HDD and my music on a smaller capacity USB3 HDD. Both of which are directly connected to a 2-bay Synology NAS. Currently the NAS contains just one 1TB HDD. As I only have a 10/100 wired network, having my media stored on USB3 HDD's makes it much faster for me to transfer and save large movie back-ups from my computer

post #11413 of 11417 Old 08-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
As I only have a 10/100 wired network, having my media stored on USB3 HDD's makes it much faster for me to transfer and save large movie back-ups from my computer
Not with you here. Is the NAS network-connected? If so, wouldn't have thought the speed of USB would make any difference for you.
post #11414 of 11417 Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Not with you here. Is the NAS network-connected? If so, wouldn't have thought the speed of USB would make any difference for you.
I believe he meant he can temporarily connect the USB drives directly to his PC to transfer new files to them, then reconnect them to the NAS when done. You can't do that with drives that are internal to the NAS.
post #11415 of 11417 Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I believe he meant he can temporarily connect the USB drives directly to his PC to transfer new files to them, then reconnect them to the NAS when done. You can't do that with drives that are internal to the NAS.
Ah, yes, you're probably right!
post #11416 of 11417 Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
The majority of my DVD and Blu-ray disc back-ups are saved to the Matroska (.mkv) container. All contain the native video and audio streams along with chapters.

I store my movies on a large capacity USB3 NTFS formatted external HDD and my music on a smaller capacity USB3 HDD. Both of which are directly connected to a 2-bay Synology NAS. Currently the NAS contains just one 1TB HDD. As I only have a 10/100 wired network, having my media stored on USB3 HDD's makes it much faster for me to transfer and save large movie back-ups from my computer
You've done well in that regard, since even a gig network is a pain in the neck for transfer of ripped BDs. Using a LAN for movie file transfers is a bit like drinking a really large milkshake through a coffee stirrer.

Streaming is no problem, since the file only needs to cross the network fast enough to play back - but playback is slow - like 2+ hours for the movie. When you are not watching the movie and just trying to transfer the file, over even an hour for a single movie is for-e-ver.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 08-19-2014 at 06:07 PM.
post #11417 of 11417 Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
You are correct GSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
You've done well in that regard, since even a gig network is a pain in the neck for transfer of ripped BDs. Using a LAN for movie file transfers is a bit like drinking a really large milkshake through a coffee stirrer.
Indeed... Before I had my 'light bulb moment'. Transferring Blu-ray disc back-up's to my NAS over my 10/100 network was frustratingly slow

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 08-20-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page