Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #11521 of 11530 Old 09-17-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 132
^Extremely unlikely that the current Oppo players will ever decode Atmos, Auro, et al.
As mentioned, there is licensing to deal with, plus more than likely that type of change would involve Mediatek updating the capabilities of their current chips,
and that is very rare for a chip maker to do for such a big feature. They will usually just make a brand new chip with those features,
and then harware engineers have to build new hardware to accommodate the features.
On top of that, IF the capabilities were added to the current players, Oppo's own engineers would have to write new software on top of that.
Lots of lots time and money that is not cost effective for any of the parties involved.

I do hope that they will have some new player(s) next year that incorporate the 3D audio codecs for analog outputs.
I'm curious to see if a player like that might be released before a 4k disc player, or will they be one in the same.
Either way it's probably going to be well into next year or longer before something like that hits the streets.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 11530 Old 09-17-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I suspect Oppo will want more certainty that the formats will be successful before dealing with them. It is not certain that Auro and/or Atmos will be successful in the home. Only time will tell.

post #11523 of 11530 Old 09-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't thought about licensing fees. However, if this new feature could be provided by a firmware release, maybe Oppo could sell the release download via its online store.

I am hoping this feature can be added because for me rear channel sounds are significantly blocked by the headrest of whatever I am sitting/reclining on. I think applying those amplifier channels instead with height speakers would be more involving and fun. (And I don't want to have to buy a whole new BDP-10next player to do it.)
post #11524 of 11530 Old 09-18-2014, 06:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Schmader View Post
I hadn't thought about licensing fees. However, if this new feature could be provided by a firmware release, maybe Oppo could sell the release download via its online store.

I am hoping this feature can be added because for me rear channel sounds are significantly blocked by the headrest of whatever I am sitting/reclining on. I think applying those amplifier channels instead with height speakers would be more involving and fun. (And I don't want to have to buy a whole new BDP-10next player to do it.)
I can't say with absolute certainty, but I'd say it's extremely unlikely that the 10x platform can/will receive an update to enable decoding Atmos. In addition to things like licensing, it's quite likely that the platform's hardware doesn't have the horsepower needed to handle decoding Atmos. Some new AVR's are being released without Atmos, but with promises of firmware updates to add it later, but I'm not aware of any existing ones that will be receiving updates to support Atmos.
post #11525 of 11530 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
From everything I have read or heard, Atmos decoding requires special chipsets so the Oppos would require hardware changes to handle Atmos. Highly unlikely to happen. The 83SE was the last time Oppo offered hardware modifications.

post #11526 of 11530 Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
A word of caution for all those using their BDP's as a preamp or otherwise using variable volume.
It is a good idea to turn off your amp or at least make sure there is nothing to playing so you can check the volume settings prior to use.

Also, I just discovered that the SuperDisk was required to restore mutli-region DVD playback.
Reapplying the SuperDisk reset the variable volume to volume to 100% and reset the max volume to 100, and set the power-on volume to last.
My Netflix credentials were also wiped.

- Rich
I use my BDP-105 as a preamp. On several occasions the player reset to the factory defaults on its own, which include full "max volume" and "variable volume". (How fast can you dive to your amps' off switches?) So now upon startup I use display brightness to determine quickly which settings are in effect. My settings include a dimmed display. Factory default has full brightness. If the display doesn't dim while showing "OPPO" during startup the amps stay off.
post #11527 of 11530 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
^ This is not normal. Your player may have a problem with its settings memory. I suggest you call OPPO Tech Support so they can set up warranty service.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11528 of 11530 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Latest beta firmware

The firmware description states "Improved the Gapless Playback feature, and resolved an issue where the gapless mode could not be enabled for some 96 kHz / 24-bit WAV files". The use of 'and' in the middle of that sentence implies that the improvements are not limited to the 96/24 WAV fix.

Does anyone know what other changes have been made to the gapless playback capability on the BDP-105?

David
post #11529 of 11530 Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 157
^ Oppo saying they "improved" the gapless playback feature may not mean they added any new features that we can see. It could mean that they improved on the internal algorithm to enhance the robustness and efficiency of the existing gapless playback function.
post #11530 of 11530 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Schmader View Post
I use my BDP-105 as a preamp. On several occasions the player reset to the factory defaults on its own, which include full "max volume" and "variable volume". (How fast can you dive to your amps' off switches?) So now upon startup I use display brightness to determine quickly which settings are in effect. My settings include a dimmed display. Factory default has full brightness. If the display doesn't dim while showing "OPPO" during startup the amps stay off.
Be sure that once you have changed your player settings to the preferred settings,
that you are power cycling the player with the remote or the power button on the front of the player.
If you are cutting the power from the outlet or surge protector, your settings may not be saved,
and thus the next time you power on the player, the default settings take over again.
Also, make sure that you are using the setting inside the settings menu to control what volume you want the player to power on at.
If you do not change that setting, no matter where the volume is when powering off the player, it will turn on at full volume again.
If neither of those scenarios describe what may be happening to your player, then there's a good chance it may need serviced by Oppo.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page