63Likes

post #11551 of 11574 Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OPPO 105 vs Kaleidescape Video Quality

AVS buddies,,

Has anyone every got the chance to compare the OPPO 105 vs Kaleidscape players in terms of VIDEO / AUDIO quality ?

I guess my question is ,,if you got the latest BLU-RAY Disc would you rather play it on OPPO 105 or would you import it to KALEIDESCAPE first then watch it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
MediaControl V3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david515mi View Post
I'd be interested to know exactly what the touch control is all about on the new Media Control app- can't figure out exactly what it's supposed to do!
I have a different issue and I am hoping someone could help shed some light. I run Minimserver in my Synology NAS and using the OPPO interface can browse and play those files just fine. When using MediaControl from my IPAD on the same local network I can see Minimserver as a source, but when I attempt to select it is simply just will list all of the sources again. I am able to see and select the Synology native DLNA and play the files using MediaControl. What does not make sense is that the OPPO can browse and play Minimserver, but MediaControl can't. Anyone using a similar configuration able to do this?
post #11553 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ Make sure you have the Public Beta 0827B firmware installed.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11554 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Make sure you have the Public Beta 0827B firmware installed.
--Bob
Thanks Bob Ido have it installed.
post #11555 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelises View Post
Thanks Bob Ido have it installed.
Email OPPO Tech Support with details of what's happening to see if they have any suggestions. Tech Support often monitors email even on weekends.
--Bob

post #11556 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread

Quote:
I have a different issue and I am hoping someone could help shed some light. I run Minimserver in my Synology NAS and using the OPPO interface can browse and play those files just fine. When using MediaControl from my IPAD on the same local network I can see Minimserver as a source, but when I attempt to select it is simply just will list all of the sources again. I am able to see and select the Synology native DLNA and play the files using MediaControl. What does not make sense is that the OPPO can browse and play Minimserver, but MediaControl can't. Anyone using a similar configuration able to do this?
What do you mean when you said "I'm able to see and select the Synology native DLNA"? Are you running two DLNA media servers (Minimserver and Synology Media Server) on your NAS at the same time? Or do you really mean you can see Synology's SMB share in the Media Control app? I'm not using Minimserver on my Synology NAS. I'm using synology's embedded DLNA Media Server, which is working fine from the Oppo Media Control app. I also see the SMB share from my NAS, and I can play all my NAS media from Oppo's app this way also. I wasn't sure you were referring to your NAS's SMB shares when you said "native DLNA"?? Also, why are you using minimserver when Synology's embedded DLNA server works great?

On the pic below, the first instance of the "Diskstation" is the embedded DLNA Media Server, and the second instance (DISKSTATION), is the SMB share.

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-27-2014 at 10:58 AM.
post #11557 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I sent an email to Oppo this morning about an annoying anomaly using the new Media Control app with an iPad...Here's the details below. I'm sure it affects all iPad users who are running the Media Control app in landscape mode.

"Hello Oppo,

I've been running your latest version of your Media Control app, and do like some of its newer features over the older app. There's one anomaly with this app that makes it a little aggravating to use on an iPad. I use my iPad in landscape mode 100% of the time. When I start up the Media Control app, its orientation is in portrait mode. It does not auto-rotate to landscape mode. I have to tilt my iPad to portrait mode, then to landscape mode to get the screen to auto rotate to the proper landscape orientation. I'm hoping you can add a fix for this in the next version of this app."
post #11558 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
What do you mean when you said "I'm able to see and select the Synology native DLNA"? Are you running two DLNA media servers (Minimserver and Synology Media Server) on your NAS at the same time? Or do you really mean you can see Synology's SMB share in the Media Control app? I'm not using Minimserver on my Synology NAS. I'm using synology's embedded DLNA Media Server, which is working fine from the Oppo Media Control app. I also see the SMB share from my NAS, and I can play all my NAS media from Oppo's app this way also. I wasn't sure you were referring to your NAS's SMB shares when you said "native DLNA"?? Also, why are you using minimserver when Synology's embedded DLNA server works great?

On the pic below, the first instance of the "Diskstation" is the embedded DLNA Media Server, and the second instance (DISKSTATION), is the SMB share.

Yes I have the embedded Synology and also Minimserver installed at the same time on my NAS. Doing it because the tag sorting flexibility of Minimserver offers, specifically for Classical music, but more importantly because I could not get the Internet Radio stations to work with the Oppo and the embedded Synology DLNA. I have no problems accessing both Minimserver and Synology from the Oppo native interface and as you I have no issue accessing the embedded Synology or SMB from MediaControl, just Minimserver. I have contacted Oppo a second time today as the first response from them didn't make sense to me. They were asking that I make sure Minimserver has access to my files and I know it does since I can play them with the OPPO directly.
post #11559 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I have the embedded Synology and also Minimserver installed at the same time on my NAS. Doing it because the tag sorting flexibility of Minimserver offers, specifically for Classical music, but more importantly because I could not get the Internet Radio stations to work with the Oppo and the embedded Synology DLNA. I have no problems accessing both Minimserver and Synology from the Oppo native interface and as you I have no issue accessing the embedded Synology or SMB from MediaControl, just Minimserver. I have contacted Oppo a second time today as the first response from them didn't make sense to me. They were asking that I make sure Minimserver has access to my files and I know it does since I can play them with the OPPO directly.

If I were you, I'd try deactivating your Synology Media Server, and just run with the minimserver, just to see if dual DLNA servers are confusing the media control app. That info would be useful in helping to debug the app's functionality with respect to DLNA servers.
post #11560 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
A new version (V3.0) of Oppo's Media Control app, built for Apple iOS, is now available for download.

I updated the app and now it's telling me my Oppo firmware needs to be upgraded to "version 77". Very strange. I also noticed when playing off a USB mounted drive the Niw Playing feature doesn't work.
post #11561 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I updated the app and now it's telling me my Oppo firmware needs to be upgraded to "version 77". Very strange. I also noticed when playing off a USB mounted drive the Niw Playing feature doesn't work.

That's not strange. The app wants you to install the latest public beta firmware on your 10x player. This was mentioned in the public beta's list of new features and bug fixes. Not sure what you're referring to by "Niw" Playing feature....

Update: Perhaps you meant the "Now playing feature"? It's working for me with a USB mounted drive. I think you should install the public beta firmware if you want to utilize all the features of this new app.

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-27-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #11562 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
If I were you, I'd try deactivating your Synology Media Server, and just run with the minimserver, just to see if dual DLNA servers are confusing the media control app. That info would be useful in helping to debug the app's functionality with respect to DLNA servers.
It was easy enough to give it a try and see. Same behavior with Minimserver only. I did get another email response from OPPO suggesting they may need to look at Minimserver and see if there is something unique about it.
post #11563 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

That's not strange. The app wants you to install the latest public beta firmware on your 10x player. This was mentioned in the public beta's list of new features and bug fixes. Not sure what you're referring to by "Niw" Playing feature....

Update: Perhaps you meant the "Now playing feature"? It's working for me with a USB mounted drive. I think you should install the public beta firmware if you want to utilize all the features of this new app.
Well strange to me that it an iOS app is requiring me to install beta software on my Oppo. I'd totally understand if it was updating to the latest GA. Oh well, I'll download it tomorrow I suppose.

On the media app there is a "now playing" tab at the bottom of the app. It used to bring up cover art, song timing etc for what you are playing from your external drive.
post #11564 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well strange to me that it an iOS app is requiring me to install beta software on my Oppo. I'd totally understand if it was updating to the latest GA. Oh well, I'll download it tomorrow I suppose.
As Bob P. mentioned to a 103 owner today, "OPPO does all sorts of fun stuff to get things to people sooner."
post #11565 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was easy enough to give it a try and see. Same behavior with Minimserver only. I did get another email response from OPPO suggesting they may need to look at Minimserver and see if there is something unique about it.

Question for you.......Have you ever "pushed" audio from your NAS to your 105 using the MinimServer? Reading your previous posts, it seems that you have used Oppo's onscreen browser to "pull" audio from your NAS to your 105. When using the new media control app, you would be "pushing" audio to your 105. Your 105 would be acting like a media renderer in this case.
post #11566 of 11574 Old 09-27-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

On the media app there is a "now playing" tab at the bottom of the app. It used to bring up cover art, song timing etc for what you are playing from your external drive.
The iOS app is effectively a beta too - except that if it does not need any changes in order to work with the upcoming production (non-beta) firmware, then it will effectively cease to be the beta. Further, it is just that it is a royal pain to do "beta" releases in the iTunes store.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #11567 of 11574 Old 09-28-2014, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by DanF8500 

Quote:Originally Posted by RichB 

Downmixing will drop your volume considerably:

1.Go to the Setup Menu and select Audio Processing.
2.Select Stereo Signal and change it to Front Left/Right.
3.Go to Speaker Configuration.
4.Set the Front speakers to Large.

Did you check your downmix settings?

Yes or no?

- Rich

Rich, I'm not seeing this effect when I do what you said above. Same volume for me. Although the only setting I'm toggling is the Stereo Signal. I wasn't expecting a volume change anyways. My Front speakers are already set to Large. I only have a 2 channel system.I suppose volume must be a factor when playing back 5.1 or greater material (and setting downmixed as opposed to Front L/R when those speakers are set to Small)?? I'm not sure...

Down-mix attenuation only happens when you are actually mixing more channels into fewer speakers. If you play a 5.1 track down-mixed to just the LF/RF speakers, the output to those has to be lowered to allow enough headroom for all the content that is being mixed together -- so that the output voltage isn't so high it clips the inputs of your pre-amp. Now it is not quite the same as saying 6 channels of content fitting into 2 speakers since the Surround channels are separately attenuated as part of the down-mix (so that audio that's really supposed to be coming from behind you doesn't get too much presence in the front sound stage). There's standardized math for how this is done.

The REAL kicker here is if you are mixing the Sub channel's LFE content into LF/RF, as LFE carries LOUD bass. When you are mixing LFE into LF/RF the down-mix attenuation has to be pretty significant -- which is not great because that increases the noise floor. I.e., the signal you are trying to hear is attenuated in volume down closer to the level of "noise". When you boost the volume setting to get back to your desired listening level that increases the volume of both the real signal and the underlying noise.

This is why the "stereo" down-mix applied to the Dedicated Stereo Analog audio outputs when Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO is set deliberately discards any LFE content from the down-mix.

If you consider the multi-channel set, first of all the Stereo Signal setting only applies if you have cabled the L/R pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog set in lieu of the normal LF/RF jacks of the multi-channel set. When doing that you need to set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT as otherwise Center and Surrounds content will ALSO be coming out of the L/R pair that you are now using as LF/RF -- i.e., you'll be duplicating sound also coming out of the REAL Center and Surround channels. So Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO is not the setting you use to accomplish the down-mix when you have the Dedicated Analog Stereo L/R pair (either RCA or XLR) wired in lieu of the normal LF/RF multi-channel RCA outputs.

Instead you use the Speaker Configuration > Down Mix setting, just as when doing NORMAL wiring of the multi-channel set.

Now if you set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO, then as a side effect the player also turns the Subwoofer channel OFF. I.e., output really will only be present on the LF/RF outputs. And if you now play a 5.1 or 7.1 track you will get significant down-mix attenuation because this setting results in the LFE channel being mixed into the LF/RF output -- along with Center and the Surrounds.

If you would prefer things to work the way Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO does it for an independently wired L/R pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs then, AFTER setting Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO you simply turn the Subwoofer back ON and make sure the LF/RF speakers are set to LARGE. With the Subwoofer jack left uncabled, that means LFE content will be discarded out that unused Subwoofer jack -- no longer mixed into the LF/RF jacks. And thus you don't get the extra down-mix attenuation. The reason to set LF/RF to LARGE is to disable the Crossover processing, since otherwise a portion of their bass content would ALSO be discarded out that uncabled Subwoofer jack.

Now set THIS way, if you play a 5.1 or 7.1 track you will still get some down-mix attenuation since you have content for 5 (or 7) speaker channels mixed into LF/RF and they need headroom to accomplish that without clipping the pre-amp. However the down-mix attenuation won't be nearly as large as if you ALSO had the LFE channel content mixed into that LF/RF pair.

Keep in mind that the LFE channel is a special channel for recording LOUD bass. The normal speaker channels (such as LF/RF) are fully capable of going as low in bass frequency as you'd like, but the bass volume won't be as loud as if you also have the LFE channel involved. And indeed the folks who do the mixing have to keep in mind that not everyone will have a subwoofer. And so all critical bass has to be present in the main speaker channels ANYWAY. The LFE channel just adds extra punch. Of course all this assumes that, when running LF/RF as LARGE -- i.e., without a Subwoofer assisting in their bass reproduction -- that those speakers really are capable of producing bass frequencies as low as you care to go.
--Bob
Wow, this was a lot of information, thx!
So you would propose, if I only connect two front speakers with a subwoofer in parallel to them (sub working until 100hz and front starts working at 100hz), to uncheck the downmix feature, that no lfe is transferred in the output of the deidicated L/R?

Will I not loose any bass information doing it this way in watching movies?

Do i need to give some extra gain in the subwoofer amp (+10db?)
Br
Flo

Last edited by Flo2984; 09-28-2014 at 04:42 AM.
post #11568 of 11574 Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Question for you.......Have you ever "pushed" audio from your NAS to your 105 using the MinimServer? Reading your previous posts, it seems that you have used Oppo's onscreen browser to "pull" audio from your NAS to your 105. When using the new media control app, you would be "pushing" audio to your 105. Your 105 would be acting like a media renderer in this case.
Yes, actually the only way I can play radio stations at all is by having the 105 as a renderer. At this point will await further guidance from Oppo. I did offer to contact Simon the developer of MinimServer just in case he can provide assistance.
post #11569 of 11574 Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, actually the only way I can play radio stations at all is by having the 105 as a renderer. At this point will await further guidance from Oppo. I did offer to contact Simon the developer of MinimServer just in case he can provide assistance.

I bet Simon could offer assistance, and may even provide a solution for you. I guess we both have questions left unanswered. I'm curious how you're able to successfully "push" the radio stations to your 105? I had no luck doing so with my Synology Media Server. So, you can push radio stations via minimserver to your 105, but not your audio files, and I can push my audio files via Synology media server, but not my radio stations...what a conundrum....lol

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-28-2014 at 07:50 AM.
post #11570 of 11574 Old 09-28-2014, 01:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo2984 View Post
Wow, this was a lot of information, thx!
So you would propose, if I only connect two front speakers with a subwoofer in parallel to them (sub working until 100hz and front starts working at 100hz), to uncheck the downmix feature, that no lfe is transferred in the output of the deidicated L/R?

Will I not loose any bass information doing it this way in watching movies?

Do i need to give some extra gain in the subwoofer amp (+10db?)
Br
Flo
I'm not sure I know what you mean by, "a subwoofer working in parallel to them".

If you are using the multi-channel Analog outputs and have the Subwoofer output cabled from the OPPO, then my recommendation would be that you set your speakers Small with the Subwoofer ON and pick a suitable Crossover frequency. The Subwoofer jack will carry both the LFE channel content and bass steered from the other speakers via the Crossover. The Subwoofer will need +15dB boost, external to the player, to match the level of the other speaker RCA output jacks. Typically this is done using the volume knob on the Sub itself, although if the Sub signal is passed through a multi-channel pre-amp or AVR, then that box may already be providing some or all of the needed boost.

If you do NOT have the Subwoofer cabled to the OPPO -- if, perhaps, you are using it "in line" with the Left Front / Right Front speakers, so that only the LF/RF output jacks are wired from the OPPO -- then I would tend towards leaving the Subwoofer output of the OPPO turned ON even though it is not cabled (to discard LFE channel content) and setting the LF/RF speakers to LARGE (to disable Crossover processing). You will loose the LFE channel content, but you will get the entirety of bass authored into the LF/RF channels, and without down-mix attenuation (when playing stereo content). This is NOT a style of cabling for the Subwoofer that I would recommend, but some folks have "satellite" subs on their main speakers, and this is the way they have to do it.
--Bob
Links likes this.

post #11571 of 11574 Old 09-28-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Quote:

The iOS app is effectively a beta too - except that if it does not need any changes in order to work with the upcoming production (non-beta) firmware, then it will effectively cease to be the beta. Further, it is just that it is a royal pain to do "beta" releases in the iTunes store.
Well beta talk aside, I did upgrade the Oppo firmware and my now playing screen on the app is working again. The Oppo is also discovering lots of new sources on my network now!
post #11572 of 11574 Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I'm not sure I know what you mean by, "a subwoofer working in parallel to them".

The Subwoofer will need +15dB boost, external to the player, to match the level of the other speaker RCA output jacks. Typically this is done using the volume knob on the Sub itself,
--Bob

Are you saying the sub should be reading +15db (as compared to the other speakers) on the SPL when calibrating the system?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #11573 of 11574 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ No. When you measure using a calibration track and an SPL meter, the Sub should be set to measure *THE SAME* SPL level as the rest of the speakers.

Once you've achieved that, then the necessary Sub boost is already in place -- whether that's been done entirely using the Sub's volume knob or in combo with your AVR or multi-channel pre-amp.
--Bob

post #11574 of 11574 Old Today, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I bet Simon could offer assistance, and may even provide a solution for you. I guess we both have questions left unanswered. I'm curious how you're able to successfully "push" the radio stations to your 105? I had no luck doing so with my Synology Media Server. So, you can push radio stations via minimserver to your 105, but not your audio files, and I can push my audio files via Synology media server, but not my radio stations...what a conundrum....lol
Was away for a couple of days. Actually, I am able to get both the Audio files and Radio stations playing using the native Oppo interface with Minimserver. My issue is just with MediaControl and selecting Minimserver as a source. If you are interested I can share what is required to get the stations working with Minimserver and another component Minimstreamer. I also did open a report with Oppo about the radio station issue with Synology. The last I heard from Oppo, they would be evaluating a possible fix in the future. I started using Mediacontrol with Synologytoday, but can't figure how to tell it to play all files in one folder, I am sure is easy but.....
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page