Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 388 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #11611 of 11665 Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a 105 connected via RCA to a pair of Emotiva XPA-5 and use a whopping -20dB in line attenuators to drive my Monitor Audio Gold GS setup.

Listening to music, my 105 volume out is at 65 for good volume and down as low as 40db for quiet music to talk over. (Effectively -20dB attenuators decrease the volume by "40 Oppo points" so without them I would need to listen to music at 25 volume and at only 1 for quiet music to talk over, so it sounds like I am on a par with the other Emotiva power amp user, above)

For Blu-ray movies, DTS-MA is usually using a volume setting of 85 for well mastered sound and up to 90-92 for badly mastered sound or some Dolby TruHD for some reason.
For DVD, DTS core is again 85 volume but Dolby Digital requires 95-100 and even then the sound is generally too loud but with indistinct poor centre channel intelligibility and I need to engage Dynamic Compression to be able to follow the movie dialogue. I had the same problem with DD DVD's with my old Arcam DVD139 and Arcam receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11612 of 11665 Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
You haven't mentioned anything about calibrating the OPPO to the rest of the system. Go get an SPL meter from Radio Shack and calibrate the sound level and speaker distances.
Though it's something that should be done, it's not going to affect the output levels anywhere near enough to address his issue.
post #11613 of 11665 Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
Thanks Guys

All very valuable suggestions and all worth trying. I'll try the suggestion by smarty-pants when I get home this evening, if that doesn't get me where I need to be then it looks like Parts Express has this pair of line level attenuators at a very reasonable price. Also there are very good reviews of the Goldpoint passive pre-amp which would be great since I could have the Oppo and Transporter connected to the Emotiva at the same time.
You know what I also forgot to mention...
The noise floor is raised and fidelity slightly truncated when you lower the volume control of the player below 70-75db.
So in order for you to get the best results with the player, you will need to add an external volume control or pre-amp of some kind.
If it still sounds good to you at lower volume levels, then that's ok too. I don't think the difference is dramatic.
I have never actually heard the difference since you would have to setup the player going direct to an amp,
AND to a pre-amp at the same time, level match the volume, then switch back and forth between them to see if you hear the difference.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11614 of 11665 Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 896
MediaControl v3.0.1 is now available in Apple's iOS App Store

It includes: "Bug Fixes"
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11615 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
MediaControl v3.0.1 is now available in Apple's iOS App Store

--Bob
Downloaded it and it did fix my problem of not being able to play all tracks in a folder. The Minimserver problem however remains. I also noticed it doesn't seem to find DLNA sources consistently (for example the Synology). SMB sources however are always found.
post #11616 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I can only find version 3.0.0
post #11617 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
is it an IOS update and not android?
post #11618 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
is it an IOS update and not android?
Correct

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #11619 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dear users od 105
I have been thinking to purchase this player. However I have some doubts about its full funcionality.

There have been many firmware upgrades since its debiut.

Is it (at last) possible to play FLAC files in gapeless mode without any disturbances? What about DSD (DFF) files. Can they also be played in gapeless mode without any problems? I am asking in reference to ethernet playback. But IF not via ethernet,maybe is it possible via USB?

I wil be very grateful for any comments.
Best Regards
post #11620 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Gapless supports WAV, FLAC, and APE from a directly attached hard drive or an SMB file share over your house network.

I don't believe DSD is supported yet for Gapless.

(Gapless is a work in progress, so this may change in future firmware.)

The peripheral USB ports for attaching hard drives follow this. But the Asynchronous USB DAC Input on the 105 and 105D is different. That works as if it was a "stereo sound card" for LPCM or DSD, and as such, Gapless is a function of the computer program sending digital audio to the OPPO on that input.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-10-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #11621 of 11665 Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel007 View Post
Dear users od 105
I have been thinking to purchase this player. However I have some doubts about its full funcionality.

There have been many firmware upgrades since its debiut.

Is it (at last) possible to play FLAC files in gapeless mode without any disturbances? What about DSD (DFF) files. Can they also be played in gapeless mode without any problems? I am asking in reference to ethernet playback. But IF not via ethernet,maybe is it possible via USB?

I wil be very grateful for any comments.
Best Regards
There have been a lot of firmware upgrades because Oppo has added a lot of functionality since the unit first appeared. Sure, some firmware updates addressed bugs but many were to add new features. For instance, there was no gapless support in the as-originally-released player. Oppo firmware updates are not now (and have never been in my experience) just about fixing bugs though they do fix them.
Smarty-pants likes this.

post #11622 of 11665 Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yay! beta firmware for AU players is out!

http://support.oppodigital.com.au/su...irmware-update

Panasonic TH-P50ST50A Plasma TV

Oppo BDP-105D Bluray Player

Cambridge Audio 851A  Stereo Amplifier

Bowers & Wilkins DM570 Speakers

post #11623 of 11665 Old 10-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oppo 105 and speaker buzzing

Hi all -

My BDP-105 when using the 7.1 analog outs directly to a 5 channel amp has an audible hum/buzzing from all speakers.

The dedicated L/R outputs fed to a separate 2 channel amp are fine as is the direct connection to the subwoofer.

I don't have cable so there is no cable connection.

I'm using a PS Audio power strip and MIT shotgun S1 interconnects for a couple channels.

In any case, I've tried isolating every piece of equipment; I've tried different cables. If I hook up a single channel, it sounds clean; as soon as the second channel is connected the buzzing starts in all channels (the dedicated L/R outputs are still unaffected)

Any thoughts/ideas on what to try next? It seems isolated to the 7.1 outs on the Oppo.

Note that I've isolated just the Oppo and both the 5 and 2 channel amps. If I use the 7.1 outputs to either amp, the humming is apparent.
post #11624 of 11665 Old 10-11-2014, 04:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Disconnect everything. Remove the power strip and connect the OPPO and the multi-channel amp temporarily to the SAME wall outlet -- a direct connection. Connect just two RCA cables from two of the multi-channel outs of the OPPO to the amp and see if you still get the hum.

If you don't then start changing things one step at at time back to your normal configuration until the hum returns.

If you DO get hum in the first step, disconnect power and the RCA from the multi-channel amp and use those same cables and the power outlet to test again into the stereo amp. No hum?

Now move the cables at the oppo end to the dedicated stereo RCA outs. Still no hum?

Now remove power and RCA from the stereo amp and use that same wall outlet and the same cables again to test into the SAME two inputs of the multi-channel amp, except now they are using the dedicated stereo outs of the OPPO. My guess is you'll find the hum returns.

This combination of results would suggest to me your multi-channel amp has a fault and is leaking AC to its chassis ground.

If you DON'T get hum in that last step (dedicated RCA outs into the same two inputs of the multi-channel amp), then that suggests there's a fault in the 7.1 outs of the OPPO -- likely a bad ground on the RCA sockets.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-11-2014 at 04:46 PM.
post #11625 of 11665 Old 10-11-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Now remove power and RCA from the stereo amp and use that same wall outlet and the same cables again to test into the SAME two inputs of the multi-channel amp, except now they are using the dedicated stereo outs of the OPPO. My guess is you'll find the hum returns.

This combination of results would suggest to me your multi-channel amp has a fault and is leaking AC to its chassis ground.

--Bob
Indeed it seems the stereo outs of the oppo to the multi-channel amp cause a hum.

that narrows it down to the multi-channel amp

seems it'll need to go back to McCormack for repair.
post #11626 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post
Indeed it seems the stereo outs of the oppo to the multi-channel amp cause a hum.

that narrows it down to the multi-channel amp

seems it'll need to go back to McCormack for repair.

Try lifting the ground on the Oppo or the amp with a cheater plug
post #11627 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
v is now available in Apple's iOS App Store

--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelises View Post
Downloaded it and it did fix my problem of not being able to play all tracks in a folder. The Minimserver problem however remains. I also noticed it doesn't seem to find DLNA sources consistently (for example the Synology). SMB sources however are always found.

It may be that the MinimServer problems experienced by some users (including me) are actually due to MinimServer being installed on a Synology NAS. Oppo Tech Support has told me that they are having problems in making DLNA connections to Synology kit.

That problem persists with the MediaControl V3.0.1 update. So far, this app has also failed to display any CD cover art when playing files stored on my PC, rather than my NAS. The cover art is stored in my FLAC files but Oppo Tech Support told me that metadata comes via Gracenote. However, this link even failed to find cover art for Adele's album '19', which has sold about 7 million copies.

I am also struggling to understand why Oppo has changed MediaControl from an iPad-friendly layout to one that is clearly aimed only at iPhones. They have even dropped the Stop button.

Oppo's app is still primitive compared to BubbleUPnP, my current preferred music controller. However, I do use MediaControl V2 to play the videos on my NAS via an SMB connection.

David
post #11628 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
It may be that the MinimServer problems experienced by some users (including me) are actually due to MinimServer being installed on a Synology NAS. Oppo Tech Support has told me that they are having problems in making DLNA connections to Synology kit.

That problem persists with the MediaControl V3.0.1 update. So far, this app has also failed to display any CD cover art when playing files stored on my PC, rather than my NAS. The cover art is stored in my FLAC files but Oppo Tech Support told me that metadata comes via Gracenote. However, this link even failed to find cover art for Adele's album '19', which has sold about 7 million copies.

I am also struggling to understand why Oppo has changed MediaControl from an iPad-friendly layout to one that is clearly aimed only at iPhones. They have even dropped the Stop button.

Oppo's app is still primitive compared to BubbleUPnP, my current preferred music controller. However, I do use MediaControl V2 to play the videos on my NAS via an SMB connection.

David
I don't have Gracenote turned on, and I can see cover art in my flacs from the new Media Control app, *but* only from SMB (NAS), or an attached usb drive. I can't see metadata cover art when using DLNA. I've been using my Synology NAS's embedded DLNA media server without any issues, except for the cover art I described above. Sometimes the app is slower to find the DLNA server than it is with the SMB shares and attached usb drive, but it does find it.

As far as proper iPad/iPhone orientation, I can get the app to rotate to an iPad favored landscape orientation by tilting my iPad's screen parallel to the ceiling, then returning it to my angled view.

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-12-2014 at 07:43 AM.
post #11629 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Try lifting the ground on the Oppo or the amp with a cheater plug
ah well, that could be dangerous. i know people do it, but there's the risk of electrocution as well as damaging equipment if there's any electrical fault that develops in the equipment chain (or at least, based on a lot of research, that is what I've started to learn).

interestingly, I was able to remove the hum by simply moving the 5 channel amp a few feet away from the PS Audio Dectet power strip. i noticed as well that the shotgun s1 interconnects when anywhere near the dectet (or any other power strip - i tested this) caused the most hum in the speakers. but in general, even without the shotgun's if the amp was close to the power strip, the hum came back.

i still think this is a fault of the amp and have reached out to mccormack. on audiogon, i've noticed a couple others complaining about this with the same amp.
post #11630 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I don't have Gracenote turned on, and I can see cover art in my flacs from the new Media Control app, *but* only from SMB (NAS), or an attached usb drive. I can't see metadata cover art when using DLNA. I've been using my Synology NAS's embedded DLNA media server without any issues, except for the cover art I described above. Sometimes the app is slower to find the DLNA server than it is with the SMB shares and attached usb drive, but it does find it.

As far as proper iPad/iPhone orientation, I can get the app to rotate to an iPad favored landscape orientation by tilting my iPad's screen parallel to the ceiling, then returning it to my angled view.

Hi Dan,
Prompted by your comment, I've just found the Gracenote switch in the BDP-105 setup and turned it off (I wasn't previously aware of that option). I then checked an SMB connection using MediaControl V3 and noticed that CD cover art appears in the Playing Now screen on my iPad. However, there is no cover art in the library browsing screen, unlike every other player app I have tried in the past.

You have misunderstood my complaint about MediaControl V3 ditching its previous iPad friendly format. It's not an auto-orientation issue, as that appears to be working as expected. My primary concern is that information that used to appear on a single screen is now being split across 2 screens (or 3 screens if you want to find a Stop button). The new layout leaves acres of blank space on an iPad screen and yet still scrolls unlabelled metadata across a single line. I find the old V2 layout much more convenient on my iPad (it also seems to crash less often than V3).

It would take quite a long time to count the large number of configuration options in BubbleUPnP. In rather stark contrast, MediaControl V3 seems to have no optional settings to control the operation and appearance of the app. There is a Touch Control screen that apparently offers a "gesture control and virtual keyboard" facility but I can't find any instructions and have no idea how it is supposed to work.

David
post #11631 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi AVS folks. Oppo newbie here so be patient! I am trying to setup and configure the following so they play nice:

Oppo BDP-103 (you know the connections)

Paradigm Soundtrack:
IN: Optical
OUT: L/R analog

Samsung TV:
IN: 3 HDMI, DVI (HDMI 1)
OUT: L/R analog, optical, 2 component

Comcast HD cable box:
OUT: HDMI, optical, digital audio, component

It's my understanding the Oppo can be used to improve the video and audio of cable TV. To achieve this, do I hook:
  • (to improve audio) Oppo FL/FR analog out => Paradigm L/R analog in + Samsung optical out => Paradigm optical in?
  • (to improve video, idea 1) Comcast HDMI out => Oppo HDMI in + Oppo HDMI out => HDMI-to-DVI adapter => Samsung DVI in
  • (to improve video, idea 2) Comcast HDMI out => Oppo HDMI in + Oppo HDMI 1 out (set to Split A/V to only output video) => Samsung HDMI in

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by cmacsocial32; 10-12-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #11632 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post
ah well, that could be dangerous. i know people do it, but there's the risk of electrocution as well as damaging equipment if there's any electrical fault that develops in the equipment chain (or at least, based on a lot of research, that is what I've started to learn).

interestingly, I was able to remove the hum by simply moving the 5 channel amp a few feet away from the PS Audio Dectet power strip. i noticed as well that the shotgun s1 interconnects when anywhere near the dectet (or any other power strip - i tested this) caused the most hum in the speakers. but in general, even without the shotgun's if the amp was close to the power strip, the hum came back.

i still think this is a fault of the amp and have reached out to mccormack. on audiogon, i've noticed a couple others complaining about this with the same amp.
That's good to hear, I'm using a Dectet as well and I find it interesting on the location thing and may play around with placement as I've only tried one
post #11633 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacsocial32 View Post
Hi AVS folks. Oppo newbie here so be patient! I am trying to setup and configure the following so they play nice:

Oppo BDP-103 (you know the connections)

Paradigm Soundtrack:
IN: Optical
OUT: L/R analog

Samsung TV:
IN: 3 HDMI, DVI (HDMI 1)
OUT: L/R analog, optical, 2 component

Comcast HD cable box:
OUT: HDMI, optical, digital audio, component

It's my understanding the Oppo can be used to improve the video and audio of cable TV. To achieve this, do I hook:
  • (to improve audio) Oppo FL/FR analog out => Paradigm L/R analog in + Samsung optical out => Paradigm optical in?
  • (to improve video, idea 1) Comcast HDMI out => Oppo HDMI in + Oppo HDMI out => HDMI-to-DVI adapter => Samsung DVI in
  • (to improve video, idea 2) Comcast HDMI out => Oppo HDMI in + Oppo HDMI 1 out (set to Split A/V to only output video) => Samsung HDMI in

Thank you in advance for your help.

HDMI from your Comcast box to the HDMI input of the 103.
HDMI from the 103 to the TV.
Optical out from the 103 to the Paradigm soundbar.
(You may or may not want to use split a/v in the setup menu, and possibly turn off hdmi audio output,
it just depends on how your gear cooperates with the setup.)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #11634 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
That's good to hear, I'm using a Dectet as well and I find it interesting on the location thing and may play around with placement as I've only tried one
i should add that my conrad johnson 2 channel amp can be right next to the power strip with no hum issues. so that further narrows it down to the mccormack amp.

i need a good cable management solution
post #11635 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 362
OPPO BDP 4K when do you think we will see that 2015 CEDIA?
post #11636 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
OPPO BDP 4K when do you think we will see that 2015 CEDIA?
more importantly, when will we see 4K content that isn't streamed?

won't purchase a 4K set or player until i can also either purchase and download 4K content (without needing a connection to phone home to play) or i can purchase on a shiny plastic disc.
linger63 likes this.
post #11637 of 11665 Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ Discussion of the "next" player belongs elsewhere, please don't clutter this thread up with it. There's already a thread for it here.
post #11638 of 11665 Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a sony SDM-HS73

It uses a vga connection

It works on my computer windows 7

I would like to used it on my oppo 105 as a monitor for only to display the menu for music

I run my 105 balanced out to a bryston amplifer

When I hook it up to the 105 screen will display no input

was using a vga hdmi adapter from the oppo 105 into the monitor

What am I missing
post #11639 of 11665 Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View Post
I have a sony SDM-HS73

It uses a vga connection

It works on my computer windows 7

I would like to used it on my oppo 105 as a monitor for only to display the menu for music

I run my 105 balanced out to a bryston amplifer

When I hook it up to the 105 screen will display no input

was using a vga hdmi adapter from the oppo 105 into the monitor

What am I missing
The monitor has to support a standard, "home theater" style, video resolution and frame rate, and the adapter you are using to convert HDMI to VGA has to hack the HDMI copy protection to make the player think it is connected to a "real" HDMI monitor.

To see if it is even possible to use this monitor, disconnect the HDMI cable to your normal display so that the only HDMI from the OPPO is what's going to the adapter connected to the monitor. Now use the Resolution button on the remote and the Front Panel display on the OPPO to try different video output resolutions to see if you can find one the monitor will accept.

If the monitor will accept 1080p, you may also need to turn 1080p/24 Output OFF to keep from sending /24 to the monitor when playing any discs recorded that way.

Home Menu on the OPPO is /60 so you can use that for testing.
--Bob

post #11640 of 11665 Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ What sort of HDMI to VGA adapter is being used? An HDFury would probably be the best bet to get this to work, but isn't an inexpensive option.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page