AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
The HA-1 has a better headphone amp, analog inputs and Bluetooth,
but the -105/105D offers a lot more features if the features above aren't your main attraction.
As a barebones 2ch pre-amp, both devices are virtually identical.
This makes me reconsider wanting the HA-1 for my listening room. If they really are virtually identical as a pre-amp I will probably go for a 105D for the multi-channel capability not to mention the bluray movie aspect. I use headphones but the headphone amp isn't my main priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 11708 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Time to take me out and shoot me. I have been ripping all my cds to FLAC on my pc. I have also been downloading DSD files (SACDS) and using the Oppo to connect to those files via my network convert them to analog and output them to the XLR outputs for my Marantz 8801. I had the owner of Audio Alternative over and he noticed that the information on the screen said DSD to PCM when I was playing DSD cuts. I checked my settings on the OPPO for audio. The settings for SACDs was set to "Auto" and I reset it to DSD. I could hear a immediate difference in the music.

I guess I need to do some more reading.
post #11703 of 11708 Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldecar View Post
Thanks Neuromancer. Turned my network to off and fixed the problem.
Good to know. So you have isolated it down to something on the network which is talking to the player too much which is causing the player to seize up. This was a very common issue with the HomeRun HD products, which was corrected in OPPO firmware, but it is possible that there are still other devices out there with a similar broadcasting scheme which causes havoc in the player.
post #11704 of 11708 Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Gapless from an attached USB drive or over the network from an SMB server works for WAV, FLAC, and APE files. Gapless is expected to extend to other formats at some point, but not yet.
--Bob
I wrote to Oppo today because files I've purchased from Hyperion Records download with flac in upper case (filename.FLAC). I cannot enable the gapless play option for these files. I play music over the network from an SMB server using the latest Media Controller app for iPad. If I change the files to (filename.flac), I can enable gapless playback. Oppo asked me to try it with the remote and UI interface. I cannot enable gapless play for ANYTHING this way (over the network). However, doing it from an attached USB drive it works including those "filename.FLAC" files.

I told this to Oppo and they replied with the following,

"Gapless Play will only work when you are trying to access the files on attached USB storage. It will not work over the network.

Best Regards,

Customer Service "

I think the person answering the emails needs to read our forum. I replied back that I've been enabling gapless play over the network with Media Controller since they released it. I have a feeling they won't address my filename.FLAC issue.

I also asked them about gapless playback for DSD files and they told me this,

"Unfortunately Gapless Playback for DSD will never be supported due to hardware limitations of the decoder and memory architecture of the player."
post #11705 of 11708 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Time to take me out and shoot me. I have been ripping all my cds to FLAC on my pc. I have also been downloading DSD files (SACDS) and using the Oppo to connect to those files via my network convert them to analog and output them to the XLR outputs for my Marantz 8801. I had the owner of Audio Alternative over and he noticed that the information on the screen said DSD to PCM when I was playing DSD cuts. I checked my settings on the OPPO for audio. The settings for SACDs was set to "Auto" and I reset it to DSD. I could hear a immediate difference in the music.

Keep in mind that no audio processing is possible when using DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. So, for example, if your setup expects Crossover processing or down-mixing or speaker distance adjusmtnes to happen that can't happen with SACD Output DSD. But it does happen when you let the player do the conversion to LPCM. That alone could make an audible difference, although the expectation then would be that the "DSD" choice would sound wrong.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11706 of 11708 Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
This makes me reconsider wanting the HA-1 for my listening room. If they really are virtually identical as a pre-amp I will probably go for a 105D for the multi-channel capability not to mention the bluray movie aspect. I use headphones but the headphone amp isn't my main priority.
A couple more things I did forget to mention... the HA-1 can also play some of the newer higher res DSD files via it's rear
asynchronous usb input, and you can also connect an iPod/iPhone/iPad and some android devices with an adapter to the front
usb input of the HA-1. However you can also do this with the front hdmi input of the 105/105D with a proper adapter as well.
Those features also may or may not appeal to you, but for the most part the HA-1 biggest attribute is the balanced headphone
output to equally capable headphones, and that really is it's main feature.

One more thing... analog volume control.
The volume control for the 105/105D for it's analog output is digital based and thus not as robust as that of the HA-1.
The issues is when you have the volume below 70-75db, and when it is lower than that the fidelity can potentially sound
ever so slightly less resolute since the lower the volume goes, it becomes compressed.
Keep in mind that the issue is only a VERY slight difference in sound and can only be discerned on the highest quality of systems.
I consider my setup to be pretty good and when I tried comparing the HA-1 with the 105D in this specific manner,
I could not determine any difference with the volume of the 105 set at -50- and the HA-1 matched with SPL meter.

Since you are considering buying both of these items I thought I would offer this additional info. Hope it helps.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11707 of 11708 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post

Keep in mind that no audio processing is possible when using DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. So, for example, if your setup expects Crossover processing or down-mixing or speaker distance adjusmtnes to happen that can't happen with SACD Output DSD. But it does happen when you let the player do the conversion to LPCM. That alone could make an audible difference, although the expectation then would be that the "DSD" choice would sound wrong.
--Bob
Thanks Bob

I would not use the Oppo for anything that the Marantz is capable of except the D/A. I run the Marantz exactly as Sandy Gross recommends for his speakers with no correction or LFE.
post #11708 of 11708 Old Today, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Well all I can say is I fell in love with the BDP-105D once I hooked it up and I haven't even begun to look at video yet. Every format via Audio I have thrown at it, it plays!! WOW! I have tried equipment 3 times the price and other equipment around the same price and I get popping ticking and just won't play nice when playing audio files and this thing right off the bat plays everything. Just hooked up a 3tb hard drive and plays everything on it! I am tempted to get another one and just use it as my audio source for 2 channel, man they were really thinking of the customer when they put this unit together! Now I will just rip files in Flac or Apple Lossless or any format and buy a few hard drives and store my music, it reads my iTunes library with zero issues so far! The Pre/Amp section isn't bad either but even at the volume set at 1 it still plays pretty loud but sounds very good.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page