Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 392 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

Old 10-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question: Using Balance XLR to Active Speakers and 7.1 through Amplifier - Sync Problems?

Before I start can anyone point me in the right direction. I am trying to coordinate the use of front left and right active speakers with a full 7.1 environment powered by a Yamaha Home Theatre amp.
My problem is that the syncronisation between the 7.1 and the left right active speakers are slightly out of sync.

I dont use the left right speakers in the 7.1 configuration ..I use as L/R Event Opals (Studio Monitors of impressive specification - and beautiful!) with Boston Acoustics Satellites filling in at the 7.1 configuration ..

So the question is how can I sync the Balanced output with the output from the Oppo going through the Yammie?

Any ideas?

Many thanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does the Oppo support Airplay? I don't see anything on the website so the answer is probably no, but I just signed up for Tidal, which is a lossless music streaming service and would like to enjoy thru the Oppo 105 d ( Modwright full blown mod) dacs.
Thanks for any info,
Russ
Old 10-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvoroberts View Post
Question: Using Balance XLR to Active Speakers and 7.1 through Amplifier - Sync Problems?

Before I start can anyone point me in the right direction. I am trying to coordinate the use of front left and right active speakers with a full 7.1 environment powered by a Yamaha Home Theatre amp.
My problem is that the syncronisation between the 7.1 and the left right active speakers are slightly out of sync.

I dont use the left right speakers in the 7.1 configuration ..I use as L/R Event Opals (Studio Monitors of impressive specification - and beautiful!) with Boston Acoustics Satellites filling in at the 7.1 configuration ..

So the question is how can I sync the Balanced output with the output from the Oppo going through the Yammie?

Any ideas?

Many thanks?
First of all, there really should not be a sync problem here. The multi-channel outputs and the dedicated stereo outputs should be in sync at the jacks on the OPPO.

Does your "home theater amp" also pass video? I.e., is it CAPABLE of video In and Out even if you are not using it for that? If so, you may be suffering the "helpful AVR" problem where the AVR adds a chunk of audio delay "to be helpful", even if you've not asked for that, to compensate for the time it takes it to process the video passing through it. In such cases, it is often possible to convince the AVR to not be so helpful by either disabling its video output, or by telling it to "pass through" video unprocessed. Again, do this even if you are not actually USING it on your video path. The AVR does not know it has been bypassed for video.

------------------------------------------------

Are you OK with the L/R XLR outputs only carrying LF/RF channels from the content? I.e., no down-mixing of Surrounds or Center into them when you play multi-channel content? And are you OK with setting LF/RF of the 7.1 multi-channel set to be LARGE so that there is no Crossover processing for that pair?

If so, try setting Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT in the 105. This configures the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) for use in lieu of the normal LF/RF RCA jacks of the multi-channel Analog set. I.e., the Dedictated pairs respond to all the settings which also affect the LF/RF pair of the multi-channel set. This will eliminate any timing difference which may be due to speaker distance differences in your Speaker Configuration for the multi-channel set.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:44 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:

Any ideas?

Many thanks?
It should already be in sync - there should be an insignificant difference between the amps in the active speakers and the amps in the Yamaha in regards to any sort of sync delays (I highly doubt it could be enough to be detectable). Make sure you have the dedicated L/R outputs on the Oppo configured as front left/right rather than a 2 channel downmix. If you have them set to a 2 channel downmix, that could explain what you're hearing.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinsdle View Post
Does the Oppo support Airplay? I don't see anything on the website so the answer is probably no, but I just signed up for Tidal, which is a lossless music streaming service and would like to enjoy thru the Oppo 105 d ( Modwright full blown mod) dacs.
Thanks for any info,
Russ
The OPPO does not support Apple Airplay. You will need to feed the audio into the OPPO in some other fashion. For example, via the stereo-capable Asynchronous USB DAC Input fed from a Mac, or possibly via an HDMI Input.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinsdle View Post
Thanks for any info,
Russ
Nope, no support for Airplay. I'm not familiar with Tidal, but you might be able to accomplish what you want via DLNA if you can locate a DLNA server that works with Tidal.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Thanks for all the help.... So much appreciated......

I will come back with my results in a day or two. I have asked Yamaha the same question and they have result...
Thanks for your email and for your interest in Yamaha A/V & Hi-fi.

Unfortunately your Yamaha can only delay the complete audio, not just a or any specific channels, your BD player normally will have the same limitation, i.e. it can delay the whole audio signal not a particular channel.

One test you could try is use the Yamaha to drive a 5.1 set up, so you don't use your active front or left and right speaker and connect and move your surround back speakers to the front left and right positions, do you still have the delay ?

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Yamaha Technical A/V

A/V & Hi-fi Technical Support Team
Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK)
Sherbourne Drive
Tilbrook
Milton Keynes
MK7 8BL

So I will have to do some finger pokin...

As a matter of interest if I play movies with the Event Opals - because they are so focussed - I feel that I need an active centre speaker in this configuration. Is it possible to somehow create a balanced centre speaker signal that I can feed into the active centre..

Any thoughts?

Here are the left right speakers if your interested..
http://www.eventelectronics.com/opal
Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ Exactly how do you have the Oppo hooked up to the Yamaha? Are you using the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo into the Yamaha or are you using the HDMI output from the Oppo into the Yamaha?
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How to use the 105 as a transport

How to do the setup

Will use the coaxial
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 151
http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP1...ish_v1.8.1.pdf

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View Post

How to do the setup

Will use the coaxial

Use the 105 as a DAC! You'll get more bang for your buck!!
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Use the 105 as a DAC! You'll get more bang for your buck!!
Have a bryston dac,just want to compare
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View Post

How to do the setup

Will use the coaxial
There's nothing particularly special you need to do. The Optical/COAX (S/PDIF) outputs have their own output settings in Setup where you can choose between LPCM (stereo only) output or, if playing a DD or DTS track, Bitstream output. If playing an LPCM track, you will always get LPCM output even if Bitstream is selected. For LPCM output, you can also set a Rate Limit to make sure the OPPO doesn't send out a higher sampling rate than your DAC can handle. Note that the OPPO does not Up-sample. So if you set a 96KHz Rate Limit, LPCM 192KHz tracks will be output as 96KHz and LPCM 44.1KHz tracks will be output as 44.1KHz.

Be aware that due to content licensing constraints, not all content can play over the S/PDIF outputs. In particular, SACD discs -- even the 2.0 track from SACD discs -- can not play over the S/PDIF outputs due to the lack of copy protection. If you play a TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track from a Blu-ray disc, what will be output on the S/PDIF jacks is the "compatibility" track instead, which is on every Blu-ray for just such purposes. That will be either DD or DTS up to 5.1 channels. If you have selected LPCM output, you will get a stereo down-mix of that compatibility track.
--Bob
silveramp likes this.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

Thankyou

Will I need to remove the xlr cables from the stereo out balanced

Which port do I use for the coaxial cable from the oppo

Got it

Thankyou Bob

Enjoy your day
Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

You do not need to remove the XLR cables. See the Manual for the picture identifying the sockets on the back panel.
--Bob
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Exactly how do you have the Oppo hooked up to the Yamaha? Are you using the 7.1 analog outputs from the Oppo into the Yamaha or are you using the HDMI output from the Oppo into the Yamaha?
Hi GSR
I am using 7.1 with analogue output to the Yamaha..
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Hi GSR
I am using 7.1 with analogue output to the Yamaha..
Have you checked to see if the Oppo's 2 channel outputs are configured to be used as Front Left/Right in the Oppo settings? That strikes me as the most likely cause of the problems you're having.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
User Tag List