Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 394 - AVS Forum
First ... 392  393  394 395  396  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread
Garman's Avatar Garman 02:19 PM 11-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
no issues here....

on the ha1, what was the problem using it as a pre?

i too took it out of my main system as a pre but choose to keep it as a dedicated headphone amp
eljr: No issues anymore, I did a check a few days ago and didn't see a update and today when I called Oppo they said there was a new update. I did the update no more issues or pauses so far on "The Analog Output" side when listening to music... Thankfully gone!

HA-1 was very nice, just redundant for me as the 105D takes care of my audio needs on both the digital end and analog end now. The HA-1 when switching inputs caused some thud/popping issues with my Amp. Oppo said when using it as a pre/amp to make sure you match it with a good Amp, the Amp I was using with it was older and just didn't mate well with it, plus I have a dedicated pre/amp already.

Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:09 PM 11-07-2014
By design, the player Pauses during an HDMI handshake so content is not skipped. In addition, Mute is Mute -- affecting all the audio outputs equally.
--Bob
Garman's Avatar Garman 03:17 PM 11-07-2014
Bob: So your ok with listening to audio and having it pause? l can see this happening when your turning on a projector or monitor, you get that pause because of the hand shake happening but when your up and running and listening to music you shouldn't get a pause at all. Oppo obviously fixed an issue on the analog side of the fence otherwise I would still be having issues with music pausing and now I am not since the update.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 03:22 PM 11-07-2014
You said you were getting the pause when you turned off the HDMI monitor. That's what I'm talking about. That triggers a new handshake.

If you are actually talking about some OTHER case of pauses then we are speaking at cross purposes.
--Bob
Garman's Avatar Garman 04:21 PM 11-07-2014
Bob: Thats how I tracked the problem down I was having. When playing audio via analog outputs with both monitors off I was getting handshakes causing the problems with playback, after the update it doesn't happen now. It only happens when I turn on/off projector/monitor as it should.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 04:45 PM 11-07-2014
^ OK, the Earth is once again spinning in greased grooves.

The firmware update you applied did indeed fix a music pausing instance unrelated to HDMI handshakes.
--Bob
Garman's Avatar Garman 12:06 AM 11-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ OK, the Earth is once again spinning in greased grooves.

The firmware update you applied did indeed fix a music pausing instance unrelated to HDMI handshakes.
--Bob
The firmware Oppo provided and I applied did indeed fixed the issues I "Was" having with the related handshakes! This was discussed in detail on the phone with them and the correct verbiage is applied! <<<<<<<<< lol

Bob: Issue still happening with pauses, and I will be the first to tell you "You could be right" on USB being the culprit! I only have 2 Kingston Data Travelers (16gb and 32gb) need to try a different one any recommendations? Oppo was steering me in the wrong direction on the problem (not their fault as its is a similar issue) because the HDMI handshake issue shouldn't cause the audio to pause, unless your turning on/off your TV/Projector/Monitor. Just trying to narrow it down and some other people on other boards had or are having similar issues. It could be the gapless playback or just the read/write speeds of the USB drive or just not formatted correctly, not sure in my case yet, but when I used a ExFat formatted USB Hard Drive last night I didn't have any pauses as the 7200 rpm drive read/write speeds are more consistent.
dvdrowe's Avatar dvdrowe 04:33 PM 11-10-2014
My new Oppo 105-D won't play standard DVDs.... anyone else had this problem?
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 04:38 PM 11-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrowe View Post
It's possible the DVD laser has failed. Do Audio CDs play?

What error message are you getting?

Are you in the US with a North American player?

-Bill
dvdrowe's Avatar dvdrowe 05:07 PM 11-10-2014
You're right. Suddenly audio CDs won't play either. It simply says, "Unknown Disc"

Thoughts?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 05:44 PM 11-10-2014
^ Either the lens for the red laser (DVD and CD) needs cleaning or the player needs warranty service.

Give OPPO Tech Support a call and they can walk you through your options here.
--Bob
dvdrowe's Avatar dvdrowe 06:06 PM 11-10-2014
Thanks, Bob. Grateful.
Garman's Avatar Garman 08:19 PM 11-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrowe View Post
The question is how new is it? I would exchange it for a new one if it is that new, if your beyond the return policy of the store then it will have to go back to Oppo. Oppo tech support is pretty darn good as they helped me fix an issue I had over pausing...
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 09:04 AM 11-11-2014
My video stopped working on my 105 and I sent it to OPPO for repair. The video now works but when I received it back the left and right rear surround output from the rca outputs are 7 decibels higher than any other output. Whats up with that?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:13 AM 11-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
My video stopped working on my 105 and I sent it to OPPO for repair. The video now works but when I received it back the left and right rear surround output from the rca outputs are 7 decibels higher than any other output. Whats up with that?
Have you checked your Speaker level trim settings. OPPO likely Reset the player as part of the service. If no easy answer there, call OPPO and they will walk you through figuring this out.
--Bob
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 09:20 AM 11-11-2014
thanks Bob, yes I went thru speaker trim settings and lowered the rears surrounds to -6.5 and -7. I'll give OPPO a call
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 09:20 AM 11-11-2014
I think I may try resetting all of my ic's first though.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 09:37 AM 11-11-2014
An easy test is to swap the plugs at the back of the OPPO, say between RS and RF speakers. If the problem moves to RF then you know the issue is in something external to the player, perhaps an input gain setting in your pre-amp.

I'm assuming of course that you have reason to believe there's not a REAL 7dB difference for those surrounds -- perhaps because they are more efficient than your front speakers.
--Bob
Garman's Avatar Garman 01:29 PM 11-11-2014
Looks like a new update came through today as well...
kkelley's Avatar kkelley 02:10 PM 11-11-2014
Hi All,

I recently realized that I have been so immersed in HT for the past few years that I have totally lost my appreciation for music. I started digging around and discovered what is happening with Hi Rez Audio and am once again having fun with Music! So far I was able to download the sampler from HD Tracks and was able to play that via USB through my Integra 40.2 preamp. Awesome!!

Now I am looking to take things a bit further... In my search for a good Hi-Rez player I stumbled on the Oppo 105D. The 2ch capabilities looked to be exactly what I need and since I am currently using a 4 year old ish Panny BD player I am thinking the 105D would kill two birds with one stone and upgrade my movie watching as well.

Here's where it is starting to get sticky and I may be asking too much from my setup. I was really jazzed about using the Oppo DACs and was fine with letting that do ALL the digital processing. I have since figured out from this thread that I will lose Audyssey if I go that route. Since applying Audyssey represented such a huge improvement on the Integra I am betting that a better DAC won't likely out weigh room correction. So for now, I am thinking of going HDMI from the proposed 105D to the Integra for movie watching.

Next, and the real reason I am looking at this player. I would like to not only take advantage of the 105 DAC for 2ch but would also like to finally have an opportunity to use a balanced connection. My Rotel 2ch amp will accept balanced inputs. However, my Integra prepamp does not have those.

So finally to my question. Would it make sense to run balanced directly from the Oppo to the Rotel amp for 2ch listening and run HDMI to the Integra for movies, etc.? This would result in the Rotel 2ch amp having both balanced and RCA inputs connected at the same time. My fear is a) would the Oppo continue to send a signal to the balanced connection when I am trying to send an HDMI signal to the Rotel and b) if for some reason I did accidently send signals via balanced and RCA to the Rotel amp at the same time would something fry? I realize I could just keep everything RCA but again was hoping to leverage balanced if possible and really don't want to invest in an additional amp.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for help!!

Integra DHC 40.2
Rotel RB 1080 2x200 connected via RCA (also accepts balanced)
Rotel RMB 1075 5x120 connected via RCA
Def Tech Mythos ST (front), Mythos 10 (center), SC4000 Sub, front high and rear surrounds
Xbox One
Xfinity X1
Fire TV
scirica's Avatar scirica 02:41 PM 11-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Looks like a new update came through today as well...
I don't see anything since the release in late October. Where did you see an update?
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 03:28 PM 11-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
I don't see anything since the release in late October. Where did you see an update?
No new firmware. He's probably just now seeing the notification.
Sometimes when you fire up the player and immediately go into disc usage or another input,
the notification may not show since it might take a few moments before it shows,
and initiating disc playback before it shows could cancel it out until the player is power cycled again.
Garman's Avatar Garman 10:53 PM 11-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Well odd then on my end, as my App wasn't working and it said I needed to do an update. So I did, I will check the version maybe I am running behind on updates since I just got my unit a week ago.

Dave, correct I ran the update right when I got it, you would think it would just go to the current one, unless it has to go through a cycle till it is updated to the most current, which states on Oppo web site Oct. 24th

kkelley: I am running a similar setup, I run my 105D to my Marantz 7005 via HDMI and then from my Oppo via RCA to a Int. Amp setup for just 2 channel stereo listening. You can technically use the Oppo 105D directly to an Amp which I have done as well but I haven't tried both RCA and or balanced at the same time yet. I think some one answered this before and stated you can run both at the same time, you could always give them a call because there tech support is very good.
gsr's Avatar gsr 05:16 AM 11-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well odd then on my end, as my App wasn't working and it said I needed to do an update. So I did, I will check the version maybe I am running behind on updates since I just got my unit a week ago.

Dave, correct I ran the update right when I got it, you would think it would just go to the current one, unless it has to go through a cycle till it is updated to the most current, which states on Oppo web site Oct. 24th
Which firmware version do they use on the moon (your stated location)? That could explain things as the USA version usually comes out first, then the EU version. But the moon version may take a few extra weeks as they need to schedule a rocket to deliver it.
eljr's Avatar eljr 09:22 AM 11-12-2014
roku stick, accessory question

if i buy the roku stick from oppo can i simply remove it from the 105 and put it in a tv on the side of the house or is it somehow married to the oppo?

also

what is the experience you may have had with roku and
dbphd's Avatar dbphd 11:10 AM 11-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
So finally to my question. Would it make sense to run balanced directly from the Oppo to the Rotel amp for 2ch listening and run HDMI to the Integra for movies, etc.? This would result in the Rotel 2ch amp having both balanced and RCA inputs connected at the same time. My fear is a) would the Oppo continue to send a signal to the balanced connection when I am trying to send an HDMI signal to the Rotel and b) if for some reason I did accidently send signals via balanced and RCA to the Rotel amp at the same time would something fry?
Your Rotel amp likely has a switch to select between XLR and RCA inputs, so you can't use both simultaneously. If so, your plan seems entirely feasible. Of course, you'll need access to the amp for switching.

db
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 11:13 AM 11-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
roku stick, accessory question

if i buy the roku stick from oppo can i simply remove it from the 105 and put it in a tv on the side of the house or is it somehow married to the oppo?

also

what is the experience you may have had with roku and
The Roku stick that Oppo sells is the MHL version.
In order to use it, it has to be plugged into an MHL capable HDMI socket.
The attributes of MHL is that it provides audio/video AND POWER from the device and socket working together.

So, yes you can plug that stick into another player or tv, BUT... that device or tv must have an MHL capable HDMI socket.
If it is just a normal HDMI input socket, it won't work.

Having said that, Roku does also make a different streaming stick... an HDMI version.
With that version, you will need to use a separate power source to power the stick.
That mean plugging it into a wall socket or possibly a USB input for power.
That streaming stick can then be used in almost any HDMI port of modern displays.

The reason that Oppo sells the MHL version of the Roku sick has 3 main points.
1) It gives you access to apps that the player doesn't have.
2) The MHL version of the Roku is integrated with BDP-10x players and allows you to use the player's
remote control to operate the Roku and the player together.
If you use any other version of Roku or streaming device, you will then need to use a separate remote.
3) Thirdly, it is just very convenient and aesthetically pleasing to use the MHL stick by plugging it in the front MHL port
and not have separate power cables and such cluttering up your setup.
eljr's Avatar eljr 11:21 AM 11-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
The Roku stick that Oppo sells is the MHL version.
In order to use it, it has to be plugged into an MHL capable HDMI socket.
The attributes of MHL is that it provides audio/video AND POWER from the device and socket working together.

So, yes you can plug that stick into another player or tv, BUT... that device or tv must have an MHL capable HDMI socket.
If it is just a normal HDMI input socket, it won't work.

Having said that, Roku does also make a different streaming stick... an HDMI version.
With that version, you will need to use a separate power source to power the stick.
That mean plugging it into a wall socket or possibly a USB input for power.
That streaming stick can then be used in almost any HDMI port of modern displays.

The reason that Oppo sells the MHL version of the Roku sick has 3 main points.
1) It gives you access to apps that the player doesn't have.
2) The MHL version of the Roku is integrated with BDP-10x players and allows you to use the player's
remote control to operate the Roku and the player together.
If you use any other version of Roku or streaming device, you will then need to use a separate remote.
3) Thirdly, it is just very convenient and aesthetically pleasing to use the MHL stick by plugging it in the front MHL port
and not have separate power cables and such cluttering up your setup.
i know/knew about the need for a MHL capable HDMI. glad to learn i don't need to buy separate sticks
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 11:29 AM 11-12-2014
^ Oh I see. It wasn't quite clear to me if you knew about the MHL limitation so I put all that in there.
To simply answer your specific question... No, the MHL Roku stick isn't married to the Oppo player.
It can be used in any other device that has a specific HDMI MHL input.
Of course you will also need a Roku remote to operate it... that is unless the other device has remote integration like the Oppo does.
When you buy the Roku MHL stick from Oppo, it does not come with a Roku remote since the player remote can be used to operate it.
eljr's Avatar eljr 11:55 AM 11-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Oh I see. It wasn't quite clear to me if you knew about the MHL limitation so I put all that in there.
To simply answer your specific question... No, the MHL Roku stick isn't married to the Oppo player.
It can be used in any other device that has a specific HDMI MHL input.
Of course you will also need a Roku remote to operate it... that is unless the other device has remote integration like the Oppo does.
When you buy the Roku MHL stick from Oppo, it does not come with a Roku remote since the player remote can be used to operate it.
there is the rub

is the remote available separately from roku?
Tags: Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player
First ... 392  393  394 395  396  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop