Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 397 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 124Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11881 of 11893 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
I am considering the purchase of an Emotiva XMC-1 to use with my Oppo 93 or the purchase of an Oppo 105D that I would use as a preamp connected directly to my B&K 7250 amp. The XMC-1 uses Burr Brown 1793 DACs , which seems to be a disadvantage relative to the ES9018 DACs in the Oppo 105D. The XMC-1 has an exceptional digitally controlled, analog volume control and analog signal path, as well as the advantage of Dirac room EQ. I have a speaker system that is capable of resolving fine electronics. I would appreciate your input/advice on the ultimate sound quality of the set-ups I am considering and any pro/cons you would like to advance.
The 105 works well for me connected to an ATI amp. My speakers are also capable of resolving fine electronics. They do pretty good with crappy electronics, also. The 105 has a digital volume control via a DAC.
Mongo171 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11882 of 11893 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Audiguy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 1,238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got a reply back from Oppo about adding Tidal as an app for hi rez streaming to our 105s

Reggie,

The ability to support additional streaming services is being investigated, but we do not know if we will be able to get Tidal working with the player as we have no open relationship with them to discuss the engineering requirements to get their software working on our platform.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
Audiguy3 is offline  
post #11883 of 11893 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I received a reply also. Mine said they are considering other services. But don't know which right now. It was something like that.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #11884 of 11893 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
tell you what

as soon as Oppo publishes that list and markets it as an acceptable pre amp i'll leave it alone when it is brought up

fair?
Oppo doesn't market it as a preamp because that's not it's primary function and there are some limitations as a result of that, such as no volume knob on the front panel. But that doesn't mean that it can't be used as such with great results, as many people posting in this thread will attest to. I'd be willing to bet that the list of amps that don't pair well with it is a LOT shorter than the list of amps that do.

But just posting a "rollseyes" emoticon every time someone asks about it is childish and not at all helpful. Posting a note that amp matching is something that needs to be taken into account would be a lot more helpful.
Smarty-pants and Mongo171 like this.
gsr is online now  
post #11885 of 11893 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
Member
 
fbczar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Oppo doesn't market it as a preamp because that's not it's primary function and there are some limitations as a result of that, such as no volume knob on the front panel. But that doesn't mean that it can't be used as such with great results, as many people posting in this thread will attest to. I'd be willing to bet that the list of amps that don't pair well with it is a LOT shorter than the list of amps that do.

But just posting a "rollseyes" emoticon every time someone asks about it is childish and not at all helpful. Posting a note that amp matching is something that needs to be taken into account would be a lot more helpful.
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

From: OPPO Service
Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
fbczar is online now  
post #11886 of 11893 Old Today, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 4,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

From: OPPO Service
Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
I am gonna give them a call because this contradicts ẃhat they told me a few months back.

So then what about the 103? can it do the same?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #11887 of 11893 Old Today, 07:36 AM
Member
 
linger63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

From: OPPO Service
Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.


All of your questions have been previously discussed.


Check out this thread for more info.


Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles


FWIW I use my OPPO 105 at XLR level DIRECT to my active ATC's


The OPPO's Dedicated Stereo XLR Output impedance is 200 Ohms/4V
My ATC's have an input impedance of 10,000 Ohms / 1V

My average listening volume level is 50-70 on the OPPO.

Regardless of what others have said here about a reduction in dynamic range
I find the sound quality to show marked improvement since removing my high end Stereo Pre from the mix.

RCA connections should just result in 6db lower output.

As OPPO recommend using the XLR outs you could always build/buy a hybrid I/C
if so inclined.

Lastly a bit OT but can't resist.........CARDAS CLEAR LIGHT I/C's


WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Cheers,

JohnL

Last edited by linger63; Today at 07:52 AM.
linger63 is offline  
post #11888 of 11893 Old Today, 08:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
So then what about the 103? can it do the same?
There are more limitations on the 103, such as no ability to adjust volume for DSD (it MUST be set to convert to LPCM if you intend to use the 103's volume control), lower end DAC's, and a volume control that's not as good as the one on the 105 (directly related to the different DAC's). I would be less inclined to recommend using the 103 as a preamp.
linger63 likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #11889 of 11893 Old Today, 08:19 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well?
Either is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
One specific example is that I know a number of people have been very happy pairing their 105/105D's with Parasound Halo amps.
gsr is online now  
post #11890 of 11893 Old Today, 08:41 AM
Member
 
fbczar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Either is fine.


One specific example is that I know a number of people have been very happy pairing their 105/105D's with Parasound Halo amps.
Thanks for your reply. If Oppo would add Dirac they would need to build another factory to meet demand. Think what they could do if they decided to build a processor!
linger63 likes this.
fbczar is online now  
post #11891 of 11893 Old Today, 08:48 AM
Member
 
fbczar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
All of your questions have been previously discussed.


Check out this thread for more info.


Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles


FWIW I use my OPPO 105 at XLR level DIRECT to my active ATC's


The OPPO's Dedicated Stereo XLR Output impedance is 200 Ohms/4V
My ATC's have an input impedance of 10,000 Ohms / 1V

My average listening volume level is 50-70 on the OPPO.

Regardless of what others have said here about a reduction in dynamic range
I find the sound quality to show marked improvement since removing my high end Stereo Pre from the mix.

RCA connections should just result in 6db lower output.

As OPPO recommend using the XLR outs you could always build/buy a hybrid I/C
if so inclined.

Lastly a bit OT but can't resist.........CARDAS CLEAR LIGHT I/C's


WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Cheers,

JohnL
Please explain a Hybrid I/C. Thanks
fbczar is online now  
post #11892 of 11893 Old Today, 08:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,603
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
Please explain a Hybrid I/C. Thanks
He's talking about a cable with a XLR connector on one end and RCA on the other. There's really no reason to use one with the Oppo, just go with what your amp has for connections on both ends.
linger63 likes this.
gsr is online now  
post #11893 of 11893 Old Today, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,379
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^
I do use a hybrid cable in my current setup, but not in the orientation of XLR=>RCA, but vice versa.
I use it to go from the RCA center channel of the 105D, to the XLR input on my Emotiva amp.
This is simply just to match the connections on the amp to use all XLR inputs.
The dedicated 2ch output of the player via XLR to the amp, then the RCA center channel from the player to the XLR input of the amp.
Of course I also have to compensate the center channel by 6db to match the L/R.
I got the cable from Monoprice.com where they have pre-fab ones for sale and the quality is quite good... as are their standard XLR cables as well. I'm not even sure what would happen if you tried to go XLR=>RCA from the player. Seems like potential for damage maybe.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off