post #11881 of 11886 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
I am considering the purchase of an Emotiva XMC-1 to use with my Oppo 93 or the purchase of an Oppo 105D that I would use as a preamp connected directly to my B&K 7250 amp. The XMC-1 uses Burr Brown 1793 DACs , which seems to be a disadvantage relative to the ES9018 DACs in the Oppo 105D. The XMC-1 has an exceptional digitally controlled, analog volume control and analog signal path, as well as the advantage of Dirac room EQ. I have a speaker system that is capable of resolving fine electronics. I would appreciate your input/advice on the ultimate sound quality of the set-ups I am considering and any pro/cons you would like to advance.
The 105 works well for me connected to an ATI amp. My speakers are also capable of resolving fine electronics. They do pretty good with crappy electronics, also. The 105 has a digital volume control via a DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11886 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got a reply back from Oppo about adding Tidal as an app for hi rez streaming to our 105s

Reggie,

The ability to support additional streaming services is being investigated, but we do not know if we will be able to get Tidal working with the player as we have no open relationship with them to discuss the engineering requirements to get their software working on our platform.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #11883 of 11886 Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I received a reply also. Mine said they are considering other services. But don't know which right now. It was something like that.
post #11884 of 11886 Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
tell you what

as soon as Oppo publishes that list and markets it as an acceptable pre amp i'll leave it alone when it is brought up

fair?
Oppo doesn't market it as a preamp because that's not it's primary function and there are some limitations as a result of that, such as no volume knob on the front panel. But that doesn't mean that it can't be used as such with great results, as many people posting in this thread will attest to. I'd be willing to bet that the list of amps that don't pair well with it is a LOT shorter than the list of amps that do.

But just posting a "rollseyes" emoticon every time someone asks about it is childish and not at all helpful. Posting a note that amp matching is something that needs to be taken into account would be a lot more helpful.
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #11885 of 11886 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Oppo doesn't market it as a preamp because that's not it's primary function and there are some limitations as a result of that, such as no volume knob on the front panel. But that doesn't mean that it can't be used as such with great results, as many people posting in this thread will attest to. I'd be willing to bet that the list of amps that don't pair well with it is a LOT shorter than the list of amps that do.

But just posting a "rollseyes" emoticon every time someone asks about it is childish and not at all helpful. Posting a note that amp matching is something that needs to be taken into account would be a lot more helpful.
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
post #11886 of 11886 Old Today, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
I am gonna give them a call because this contradicts ẃhat they told me a few months back.

So then what about the 103? can it do the same?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player