post #11881 of 11901 Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbczar View Post
I am considering the purchase of an Emotiva XMC-1 to use with my Oppo 93 or the purchase of an Oppo 105D that I would use as a preamp connected directly to my B&K 7250 amp. The XMC-1 uses Burr Brown 1793 DACs , which seems to be a disadvantage relative to the ES9018 DACs in the Oppo 105D. The XMC-1 has an exceptional digitally controlled, analog volume control and analog signal path, as well as the advantage of Dirac room EQ. I have a speaker system that is capable of resolving fine electronics. I would appreciate your input/advice on the ultimate sound quality of the set-ups I am considering and any pro/cons you would like to advance.
The 105 works well for me connected to an ATI amp. My speakers are also capable of resolving fine electronics. They do pretty good with crappy electronics, also. The 105 has a digital volume control via a DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11882 of 11901 Old 11-21-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I got a reply back from Oppo about adding Tidal as an app for hi rez streaming to our 105s

Reggie,

The ability to support additional streaming services is being investigated, but we do not know if we will be able to get Tidal working with the player as we have no open relationship with them to discuss the engineering requirements to get their software working on our platform.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #11883 of 11901 Old 11-21-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I received a reply also. Mine said they are considering other services. But don't know which right now. It was something like that.
post #11884 of 11901 Old 11-21-2014, 08:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
tell you what

as soon as Oppo publishes that list and markets it as an acceptable pre amp i'll leave it alone when it is brought up

fair?
Oppo doesn't market it as a preamp because that's not it's primary function and there are some limitations as a result of that, such as no volume knob on the front panel. But that doesn't mean that it can't be used as such with great results, as many people posting in this thread will attest to. I'd be willing to bet that the list of amps that don't pair well with it is a LOT shorter than the list of amps that do.

But just posting a "rollseyes" emoticon every time someone asks about it is childish and not at all helpful. Posting a note that amp matching is something that needs to be taken into account would be a lot more helpful.
post #11885 of 11901 Old 11-21-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Oppo doesn't market it as a preamp because that's not it's primary function and there are some limitations as a result of that, such as no volume knob on the front panel. But that doesn't mean that it can't be used as such with great results, as many people posting in this thread will attest to. I'd be willing to bet that the list of amps that don't pair well with it is a LOT shorter than the list of amps that do.

But just posting a "rollseyes" emoticon every time someone asks about it is childish and not at all helpful. Posting a note that amp matching is something that needs to be taken into account would be a lot more helpful.
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎August‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎45‎ ‎PM
To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
post #11886 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1372
Quote:
I received the following answer from Oppo relative to my question as to whether or not the Oppo 105D would sound better connected directly to an amp than it would using a processor or receiver:

To:

If you will just be using the player and another HDMI device or two which you can route through the player, then the BDP-105D direct to your amplifiers will give you the most dynamic audio from your current equipment.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Based on that response it seems clear the OPPO 105D CAN function at an extremely high level as a preamp. It appears from reading many, many posts that amp matching is critical. The question is, what are the ideal characteristics an amplifier must posses to function optimally with the Oppo 105D? In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well? What about amps with gain controls on each channel, is that an advantage. For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
I am gonna give them a call because this contradicts ẃhat they told me a few months back.

So then what about the 103? can it do the same?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #11887 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

To:

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

All of your questions have been previously discussed.

Check out this thread for more info.

Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles

FWIW I use my OPPO 105 at XLR level DIRECT to my active ATC's

The OPPO's Dedicated Stereo XLR Output impedance is 200 Ohms/4V
My ATC's have an input impedance of 10,000 Ohms / 1V

My average listening volume level is 50-70 on the OPPO.

Regardless of what others have said here about a reduction in dynamic range
I find the sound quality to show marked improvement since removing my high end Stereo Pre from the mix.

RCA connections should just result in 6db lower output.

As OPPO recommend using the XLR outs you could always build/buy a hybrid I/C
if so inclined.

Lastly a bit OT but can't resist.........CARDAS CLEAR LIGHT I/C's

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

JohnL

Last edited by linger63; 11-22-2014 at 07:52 AM.
post #11888 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 08:17 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
So then what about the 103? can it do the same?
There are more limitations on the 103, such as no ability to adjust volume for DSD (it MUST be set to convert to LPCM if you intend to use the 103's volume control), lower end DAC's, and a volume control that's not as good as the one on the 105 (directly related to the different DAC's). I would be less inclined to recommend using the 103 as a preamp.
linger63 likes this.
post #11889 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 08:19 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
In addition to the output characteristics of an amp, must it have XLR connections or will RCA connections work just as well?
Either is fine.

Quote:
For those of you who have the Oppo 105D connected directly to an amp and feel the performance is exceptional please tell me which amp you are using so I can investigate to determine the common characteristics they all share.
One specific example is that I know a number of people have been very happy pairing their 105/105D's with Parasound Halo amps.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #11890 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Either is fine.

One specific example is that I know a number of people have been very happy pairing their 105/105D's with Parasound Halo amps.
Thanks for your reply. If Oppo would add Dirac they would need to build another factory to meet demand. Think what they could do if they decided to build a processor!
audiofan1 and linger63 like this.
post #11891 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
All of your questions have been previously discussed.

Check out this thread for more info.

Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles

FWIW I use my OPPO 105 at XLR level DIRECT to my active ATC's

The OPPO's Dedicated Stereo XLR Output impedance is 200 Ohms/4V
My ATC's have an input impedance of 10,000 Ohms / 1V

My average listening volume level is 50-70 on the OPPO.

Regardless of what others have said here about a reduction in dynamic range
I find the sound quality to show marked improvement since removing my high end Stereo Pre from the mix.

RCA connections should just result in 6db lower output.

As OPPO recommend using the XLR outs you could always build/buy a hybrid I/C
if so inclined.

Lastly a bit OT but can't resist.........CARDAS CLEAR LIGHT I/C's

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

JohnL
Please explain a Hybrid I/C. Thanks
post #11892 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Please explain a Hybrid I/C. Thanks
He's talking about a cable with a XLR connector on one end and RCA on the other. There's really no reason to use one with the Oppo, just go with what your amp has for connections on both ends.
linger63 likes this.
post #11893 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 177
^
I do use a hybrid cable in my current setup, but not in the orientation of XLR=>RCA, but vice versa.
I use it to go from the RCA center channel of the 105D, to the XLR input on my Emotiva amp.
This is simply just to match the connections on the amp to use all XLR inputs.
The dedicated 2ch output of the player via XLR to the amp, then the RCA center channel from the player to the XLR input of the amp.
Of course I also have to compensate the center channel by 6db to match the L/R.
I got the cable from Monoprice.com where they have pre-fab ones for sale and the quality is quite good... as are their standard XLR cables as well. I'm not even sure what would happen if you tried to go XLR=>RCA from the player. Seems like potential for damage maybe.
linger63 likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11894 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm not even sure what would happen if you tried to go XLR=>RCA from the player. Seems like potential for damage maybe.

Yeah, now I am wondering about that too!!

Anyone??
post #11895 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
I'm not even sure what would happen if you tried to go XLR=>RCA from the player. Seems like potential for damage maybe.

Yeah, now I am wondering about that too!!

Anyone??
Make sure the component you are hooking up those RCA's to can handle a 4V input.
post #11896 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Linger63,

I read that Ayre preferred Cardas cables, so I installed Cardas Clear Lights between my C-5xeMP and Parasound JC-2 BP. The sound is superb.

db
linger63 likes this.

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #11897 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 12:57 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^
I do use a hybrid cable in my current setup, but not in the orientation of XLR=>RCA, but vice versa.
I use it to go from the RCA center channel of the 105D, to the XLR input on my Emotiva amp.
This is simply just to match the connections on the amp to use all XLR inputs.
If the amp has only 1 switch on it to switch between XLR and RCA for all channels, then doing this would make sense if you want to use the 105's XLR outputs for front left/right. But there's really no downside to using RCA for all channels and avoiding the use of hybrid cables.
post #11898 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
If the amp has only 1 switch on it to switch between XLR and RCA for all channels, then doing this would make sense if you want to use the 105's XLR outputs for front left/right. But there's really no downside to using RCA for all channels and avoiding the use of hybrid cables.
Each input on the amp is switchable, but honestly I just wanted to try one of the cables too.
I had purchased a couple of their XLR=>XLR cables and really liked the build quality.
Their RCA cables, while very good performance wise, are very stiff and the XLR cables are nice and flexible.
Once I confirmed the XLR=>RCA cables were of the same quality as the XLR=>XLR ones, I decided to try one.
I wish they had RCA=>RCA ones that were of the same build quality as their XLR cables.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11899 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

BlueJeansCable.com make very good RCA cables and will wrap however many cables in a wrap (low gluten, I think).
post #11900 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I got a reply back from Oppo about adding Tidal as an app for hi rez streaming to our 105s

Reggie,

The ability to support additional streaming services is being investigated, but we do not know if we will be able to get Tidal working with the player as we have no open relationship with them to discuss the engineering requirements to get their software working on our platform.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
I got a very similar email back. I'm sure Tidal has the request as well. Let's hope this is a possibility. For now, I'm very happy running this off my pc into my Bryston DAC. Canceled Spotify today!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #11901 of 11901 Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Make sure the component you are hooking up those RCA's to can handle a 4V input.
Going from XLR to RCA would NOT have 4V, but 2V. The connection would be the XLR+ to the RCA center pin and the XLR Ground to the RCA collar. The max on the XLR+ is +2V. To get 4V in the XLR, you take the difference between the XLR- and XLR+.
linger63 and Mongo171 like this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page