post #11911 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I don't think the Oppo players can decode native dsd from their hdmi inputs, correct?
What's 'native' dsd?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11912 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What's 'native' dsd?
It's DSD, as on an SACD: 1-bit, sampled at 2.8 MHz, which is 64 times the sampling rate of redbook CD's. It hasn't been converted to a PCM, multi-bit sampled format. The .dsf/.dff files are container formats for native DSD. The Oppo DACs can read DSD and convert to analog output without any multi-bit, PCM encoding of the digital stream. If you choose to do any audio processing in the 105 (downmixing) or bass management, then the 105 will have to convert the native DSD stream to a multi-bit (24 bit, 88.2 KHz oversampled) PCM stream before converting to analog output.
post #11913 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
It's DSD, as on an SACD...
Thanks, I'm familiar with DSD when it's been placed within it's more familiar .dsf and .dff containers. I've never seen it free from a container as an elementary .dsd stream - if this is what you mean

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #11914 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Thanks, I'm familiar with DSD when it's been placed within it's more familiar .dsf and .dff containers. I've never seen it free from a container as an elementary .dsd stream - if this is what you mean
That's want I meant as opposed to a transcoding of the DSD stream to multi-bit PCM. There are other methods of streaming DSD also...DoP (DSD over a PCM container, transmitted via async usb), and DoPE (same as DoP, except via ethernet).
post #11915 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta View Post
I have a Synology NAS streaming directly to the OPPO 105 via LAN .... I can easily find, queue and play any piece of music to my Oppo without any PC, which is one of the reasons I bought the Synology .... I am a VERY happy Synology user
I am also a happy Synology user but playing music direct to an Oppo BDP-105 is not an option if, like me, you need gapless playback.

Gapless playback is mainly (though not exclusively) a requirement for classical music. To get gapless playback, I use BubbleUPnP to direct music playback to JRiver Music Center on my PC, which is connected to the asynch USB input on the back of the Oppo, The music files are served from my NAS using MinimServer.

David
post #11916 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
. . . but can you play DSD files!??? . . .
Yes, you can. Natively too, without any conversions/transcoding. The Synology Media server can push .dsf/.dff formats to the Oppo player, no problem.

I don't think the Oppo players can decode native dsd from their hdmi inputs, correct?
Correct. The HDMI Inputs do not accept HDMI DSD.
--Bob
post #11917 of 11923 Old 11-27-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
The Acer video output is crappy and needs serious calibration/tweaking. I was hoping to send pure video from the actual raw file on the NAS to the OPPO and hope that it is a more neutral signal. For instance, when I try to get some calibration images on the Acer, I can't get them to get down to the correct results of contrast, i.e. deep black. So when you say that I worry anything coming down HDMI from the Acer is not correct.
That could happen for video due to color space or other issues, but audio is different. If you can bitstream the audio on the HDMI output, you will hear no difference between streaming from the NAS and using the HDMI output from the HTPC.

If you mean to take the HTPC out of the cabinet entirely or you are planning on streaming video, then you probably do want a DLNA server given what you have said about the video quality.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #11918 of 11923 Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
That could happen for video due to color space or other issues, but audio is different. If you can bitstream the audio on the HDMI output, you will hear no difference between streaming from the NAS and using the HDMI output from the HTPC.

If you mean to take the HTPC out of the cabinet entirely or you are planning on streaming video, then you probably do want a DLNA server given what you have said about the video quality.
Yes, video is my primary use for the 105. Music, while important, is secondary. So did someone say which (jriver etc.) server software is best for handling a large video library (2000+ files) on a Synology? One of my real goals was to not have to boot the HTPC. The NAS will always be on, and the 105 boots relatively fast, so I'm exited to not have to fuss with booting the computer. Even though my revo has a really elegant keyboard mouse combo, it is still a PITA. Right now for music I have a silly setup where my notebook has the audio files (HTPC full to the brim with video) and I run Foobar on the HTPC which then feeds the music beast (with a kluge of having to switch from the Realtek sound card onboard, to the external streamer DAC). Foobar is great on all the Android devices for handling the playlists/album art/queing once it's running, but so many times I'm too lazy to boot the string of computers and programs it takes to make music play. That said I have had a great experience with Foobar for audio/streaming, but am pretty certain it isn't good for video, whereas I've heard jriver is good for everything??

The comment above about gapless did also bring up an important point I was going to ask later. Sorry, it really is my worst nightmare to still have the HTPC anywhere in the chain. Any way to keep it out of the equation for both video and audio? And the extension of that is if I buy the NAS I sure as heck don't want an external USB being my audio repository. At the moment I only have flac and mp3 audio. DSD hasn't reared it's head yet.....but maybe later .

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion)>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Revo USB>HRT Music Streamer II>Linn Classik K>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and black RCA), OR Optical(Realtek Digital output)>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
post #11919 of 11923 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
Yes, video is my primary use for the 105. Music, while important, is secondary. So did someone say which (jriver etc.) server software is best for handling a large video library (2000+ files) on a Synology? One of my real goals was to not have to boot the HTPC. The NAS will always be on, and the 105 boots relatively fast, so I'm exited to not have to fuss with booting the computer. Even though my revo has a really elegant keyboard mouse combo, it is still a PITA. Right now for music I have a silly setup where my notebook has the audio files (HTPC full to the brim with video) and I run Foobar on the HTPC which then feeds the music beast (with a kluge of having to switch from the Realtek sound card onboard, to the external streamer DAC). Foobar is great on all the Android devices for handling the playlists/album art/queing once it's running, but so many times I'm too lazy to boot the string of computers and programs it takes to make music play. That said I have had a great experience with Foobar for audio/streaming, but am pretty certain it isn't good for video, whereas I've heard jriver is good for everything??

The comment above about gapless did also bring up an important point I was going to ask later. Sorry, it really is my worst nightmare to still have the HTPC anywhere in the chain. Any way to keep it out of the equation for both video and audio? And the extension of that is if I buy the NAS I sure as heck don't want an external USB being my audio repository. At the moment I only have flac and mp3 audio. DSD hasn't reared it's head yet.....but maybe later .
Most of the Synology NAS devices have a DLNA server built in. I do not know which one they license (they almost certainly do not write it themselves). If you want to use DLNA and do not want to boot up a PC/Mac, then you need the NAS to run the DLNA server for you. That means using what can run on the NAS, which means not JRiver or any of several other implementations. Go to this thread and you will pick up more info on using the Oppo units with DLNA servers. I bet if you do a search in that thread for "Synology"... Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #11920 of 11923 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello fellow AVS'ers!
I purchased a BenQ W1070 front projector earlier this week, got it set up and am pleased with it's picture. I bought it expressly for viewing 3D on a big screen affordably. My problem is, I can't seem to get the 3D picture to "sync". 2D works flawlessly. 3D looks "out of phase" so to speak. I am using my trusty Oppo 105 for my 3D bluray player and it is set to play 3D. My W1070 won't let me set it to "auto" but I am able to pick any of the 3 choices (frame packing, side to side or top to bottom. I tried all and tried inverting them all, no luck. I am running the W1070 directly into HDMI 1 on my Oppo and am by-passing my Yamaha Z11 Receiver. For glasses, I initially tried ones that came with my Panasonic VT50 plasma, no go. I researched and ended up ordering a set of the EStar DLP Link 3D Glasses that are supposed to work. They are 144 Hz triple flash support (ESG601). Can any of you knowledgable members suggest any tips? Thank you in advance, I have learned a ton my coming here!

Rob
post #11921 of 11923 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All,
Please disregard my last post. I was able to get both Audio & video to function properly.

Thank You!

Rob
post #11922 of 11923 Old Today, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Guys, been a while...I have just found an odd thing with my 105. When selecting Network, Audio, Random Songs...it goes off and does it's selection...the list appears, I select a track to play, the next thing is I get a song not on the list that starts playing, OK I thought.....skip...another track not in the play list and it goes on. None of the songs listed in the play list actually play! I get completely different songs playing. Very odd. I am using Serviio as my Network connection, all the Samsung TVs in the house have no issues when dong the same action, all songs in the play list play as selected. I have Re Installed the latest update, created and removed another network on my PC and still the same thing is happening. I still have a playlist that gives me a great mix of all my music however, I don't know what's going to be played until it's on, the actual play list that I return to on screen is irrelevant.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Denon AVCA10SE
Anthem MCA-50
Paradigm Studio 100s
Paradigm CC690
Paradigm Monitor 11s
Definitive Technology Supercube 2
Oppo BDP-105
Sony HD DVD recorder
Yamaha 5 disc CD player
Samsung AU60D8000
post #11923 of 11923 Old Today, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Additional! A track just came on that lit up my receiver as 5.1 DTS....cool I thought...went to check out what it was (internet is on the screen) I wanted to compare audio inputs as it was on digital in, I hit EXT In for the Oppo's 5.1 signal...noise......hmmm.. hit Analogue ans noise......back to Digital in and it was fine. So from this, streaming a DTS 5.1 file in Network connection (as above) in a play list...the Oppo doesn't send audio from it's 5.1 out...I would have thought it would process it. Two anomalies in two days...

Denon AVCA10SE
Anthem MCA-50
Paradigm Studio 100s
Paradigm CC690
Paradigm Monitor 11s
Definitive Technology Supercube 2
Oppo BDP-105
Sony HD DVD recorder
Yamaha 5 disc CD player
Samsung AU60D8000
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags