AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Correct!

I am confused. You agreed with Torqdog's findings which I also knew to be the case, but earlier you said
Quote:
"Do you guys use the 95's FL/FR option in the audio setup? if so set it to downmix and there will be more detail and tighter bass, If you guys would check this out that would be great:)"

Could you explain again in more detail exactly what you meant by this?

On a separate but related note. There is no quad-stacking of the DACs anymore with the 105. Therefore if you find the dedicated stereo pair sound better than the multichannel front L/R, it must be related to other optimisations with the signal path/layout or surrounding components. I think the op-amps are the same, but I am not sure if anyone noted any other differences such as capacitor choices etc that may mean one should sound better than the other. Conversely one would wonder what the point of the dedicated stereo outs are if it sounds exactly the same as the Front L/R anyway!

On the 95 I always used the dedicated stereo outputs in place of the front L/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am also confused here.....you'll probably laugh at me but I read last night a complete review of the Panasonic 500 on a french site and the guy said the sound was even better than the Oppo 93...and the 95 in some points.......I know there are more options with the Oppo, I cancelled my 103 order to get more with the 105 but is it really worth 1200$ or should I just get the 103 if the difference doesn't seem that big to some? The Panny can't play SACD and DVD-Audio so I don't think I will get it but I would get it if I had only cd's to play I think....the guy was that surprised by it...and it's on sale for 276$ at BH...really confused....I got a VSX-33 so there's headphone input there, don't know if it will be that much better on the 105...sorry for the confusion, I just don't know if it's a big improvement on the sound...
I would post on the anticipation thread if this is not the right place...
post #93 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

The Stereo Signal Down-mix setting affects how the dedicated stereo and XLR outputs are treated. The Down-mix setting under Speaker Configuration only affects the multi-channel analog outputs.
Yes. When set to Stereo Signal of Front Left/Right the player will only be outputting Total Left and Total Right. Any other channels will be lost.
The same will also be true with SACD set to DSD and you are playing a multi-channel only SACD.
When Stereo Signal is set to Front Left/Right then the Speaker Configuration settings will affect the dedicated stereo and XLR outputs. If you have it set to Down-mixed Stereo then no other settings except for the SACD (Audio Processing) will affect these outputs.

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #94 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Wilson speakers and Levinson amplifiers.

Yes very nice smile.gif
post #95 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

That is good to know because I had a serious WTF moment a few hours ago when I put in the my first Blu Ray which was Watchmen. There was some serious lip synch issues happening with that movie. It was totally unwatchable. I also tried the new Star Trek movie and it appeared to be more in synch both the video and audio. Definitely not as bad as Watchmen. I have not tried any other discs besides those two.

With my 103 I had one disc with serious lip sync (don't remember the disc name) . I ejected the disc and re-loaded and then did not experience lip sync issues. Seems strange.
post #96 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

With my 103 I had one disc with serious lip sync (don't remember the disc name) . I ejected the disc and re-loaded and then did not experience lip sync issues. Seems strange.

That's good to know thank you Roger. I'll try the disc again. I will also do some serious viewing and listening tonight.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #97 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

That is good to know because I had a serious WTF moment a few hours ago when I put in the my first Blu Ray which was Watchmen. There was some serious lip synch issues happening with that movie. It was totally unwatchable. I also tried the new Star Trek movie and it appeared to be more in synch both the video and audio. Definitely not as bad as Watchmen. I have not tried any other discs besides those two.

I've watched my copy of the Director's cut of Watchmen on the 105 and didn't have a problem with it. It's possible there was a slight loss of sync which I wouldn't see because my TV has a bit of video delay that I correct for in my AVR, so I can't say my sync is perfect, but if there was a problem it was not obvious.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #98 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

When compared 83se and 95, I was unable to get your result. i really tried to discern if there was an improvement.

Brian,

This is why we have to audition these things ourself. Two guys (make that 3) with the same two transports two different opinions. I thought the BDP-95 was an improvement over the 83SE and it was enough to allow me to sell the 83SE. There are other features of the BDP-105 that I like and I just need for the audio not to be a step back and early OPINIONS is that it is not, but I'll no more once I unbox my BDP-105 later this evenings.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #99 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Hmm...I haven't tried this yet, but to make sure I am clear. You are playing "stereo" music and are finding a difference on the dedicated stereo outputs if they are set to downmix vs Front L/R?? If so there is something wrong (firmware) that needs to be fixed. There should be absolutely no difference with that setting for the dedicated stereo output when listening to stereo music. If you have a crossover set and speakers set to small I am guessing that may influence things. In my case though all speakers are set to large, all at default output level and default distance. Therefore there should be absolutely no difference....

Jon,

I wondered the same thing.confused.gif Down mixing stereo to stereo.biggrin.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #100 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Brian,

This is why we have to audition these things ourself. Two guys (make that 3) with the same two transports two different opinions. I thought the BDP-95 was an improvement over the 83SE and it was enough to allow me to sell the 83SE. There are other features of the BDP-105 that I like and I just need for the audio not to be a step back and early OPINIONS is that it is not, but I'll no more once I unbox my BDP-105 later this evenings.smile.gif
Looking forward to seeing your first impressions sonically speaking posted here.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #101 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I replayed the Watchmen disc with the same effect. It appears that the dialogue audio is slightly ahead of video.Very strange because I do not have this problem on other Blu ray discs? They seem to play without any timing issue with dialogue. I must say that I am very impressed with the analog XLR outs and listening to CD's.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #102 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:

I am confused. You agreed with Torqdog's findings which I also knew to be the case, but earlier you said
Could you explain again in more detail exactly what you meant by this?
On a separate but related note. There is no quad-stacking of the DACs anymore with the 105. Therefore if you find the dedicated stereo pair sound better than the multichannel front L/R, it must be related to other optimisations with the signal path/layout or surrounding components. I think the op-amps are the same, but I am not sure if anyone noted any other differences such as capacitor choices etc that may mean one should sound better than the other. Conversely one would wonder what the point of the dedicated stereo outs are if it sounds exactly the same as the Front L/R anyway!
On the 95 I always used the dedicated stereo outputs in place of the front L/R

Sorry guysI should have stated this was for 95 owners who where comparing audio against there 105's , I used the balanced outs on my 95 for my results and I also tried it from the 7.1 fl/fr outs (which did require manualy swicthing between the two) and also the dedicated stereo rca outs which yielded no major precievable difference save for a slight increase in smoothness when toggling between between FL/FR and down mix but with the balanced outs even the selection of FL/FR or downmix stereo (using toggling between the two settings via the remote) yielded a difference to my surprise ( and not sure why) Its possible its the configuration of balanced outs? I don't know, but this is what I wanted you guys to confirm for me as it shall determine if the 105 is sonicly superior to the 95!

again sorry for any confusion!
post #103 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
Some feedback comparing a three day old 105 with a six month old Sony 5400.... Both connected Xlr all analog to same ss preamp with odyssey mono stratos feeding gr research n3s speakers and dual gr subs... 2 channel only. 105 in pure audio mode. Same CDs playing and attempted to level match..... 12x14x10 room about 8 foot distance between speakers and listener.... Of course my 56 year old ears and just my "2 cent opinion", listening mostly to jazz.... So...
Sony has has little better soundstage and accuracy especially noticed on solo piano and female vocals. Oppo has a little deeper bass and much more forward sounding ( probably at the cost of the soundstage.....) Oppo sounds great and of course brings a lot of other features not on the Sony... Many times I thought I was listening to the Sony but realized it was the oppo so it is no slouch in performance.....

Enjoy....
post #104 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:

To be clear, when issues of Reverse A/V synch (audio and video synchronization errors were the audio is BEHIND the video) only apply to the HDMI inputs. Under most installations this issue will not be witnessed and there are obvious workarounds (ie. connecting back to the original configuration and waiting for a firmware release)
As far as standard A/V synch issues are concerned, they seem to be very specific to the customer's installation. As you have read in the BDP-103 threads not everyone is having audio and video synchronization errors, which includes OPPO themselves and many of the beta testers. therefore, it is very likely that the majority of OPPO's customers will not have issues, while a small (but important) minority will need to use Audio Delay's in their receivers or wait for a future firmware release.

Neuro... am a complete noob w/ AV systems... only stereo and will probably stay there. "Audio Delay" is a capability in some AV systems? Like assigning a .0n or .00n delay in seconds to a signal to bring both into line?

I do have a slight audio lag when HDMI input from the 105 to a Panasonic P55VT50 and using a BAT 300x for audio... and have not found any settings to modify signal synchronization in the 105. It still sings like an angel on just audio, which is really why I bought it, so am very pleased.

Any counsel appreciated...
post #105 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 171
Most receivers have the ability to set an Audio Delay in "ms". Depending on the receiver, this can be as fine as single 2ms to intervals of 10ms.

If the receiver does not support this, or you are going direct to an amplifier, then you will need to wait for the player's firmware to be upgraded in order to solve these audio and video synchronization errors.
Unbalanced likes this.
post #106 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26

Spent some time today playing with DLNA. Overall it works... but can be problematic. The best program I've found for Android is one I purchased about a year ago called BubbleUPnP (see pics). Overall, this is the best all-around UPnP server, player, control point I found after dismissing more than a few. I also use it as a DLNA server at work to listen to music on my BMP. All round a good performer. The pics above give you an idea what to expect using it to control the BDP-105.

I also tryed the Linn Kinsky controller, but just don't like the rooms orientation as I'm only listening in one room. YMMV.

I'm going to refrain from a "how does it sound" review right now as I only did casual listening while focusing on remote controlling the BDP-105. Mostly I listened through my so-so headphones: Grado SR80s and AKG K550s. As you can imagine, there was no problem driving these phones as they are designed for portable listening.

So, DLNA control, one of my top must haves works, but does have a serious flaw with the UMS server. The issue is a song in the play list stops playing abruptly. By stops playing, I mean that the Oppo counter is still counting, the controller counter is still counting, but there is silence frown.gif The counters continues, and appears to go to the next song, but more nothing is played. If I tap on the next song in the play list, it will play for another 20 minutes or so before it happens again. Seems to happen near the end of a song, so probably related to the change to the next song.

The Oppo is connected to the same gigEth wired network as my BDP-83SE, which has never failed to play a song all the way through. The NAS and network are loafing. Am trying my other server, Asset UPnP to see if there is a compatibility issue. Been playing for about 45 minutes so far with no issues smile.gif On the plus side, the BDP-105 plays many, many more file types and containers than the 83se. On the down-side, I can no longer even listen to my blue-ray or dvd concert discs as I've got an old LED TV with a composite and a D-Sub connection. Now I can listen to the ones I've ripped to disc, but still no video at all.

Update 12/25/2012: The issue with the deck failing to play a song all the way through has not happened since I settled in on Asset UPnP & BubbleUPnP. Many, many happy hours of listening to music smile.gif However, I do still need to reboot the 105 occasionally for it to be fully network operational, sometimes twice in a row. Never had to do this with the 83SE, so me thinks there are still some warts in the 105 DLNA render implementation.

Styln
post #107 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be clear, when issues of Reverse A/V synch (audio and video synchronization errors were the audio is BEHIND the video) only apply to the HDMI inputs. Under most installations this issue will not be witnessed and there are obvious workarounds (ie. connecting back to the original configuration and waiting for a firmware release)
As far as standard A/V synch issues are concerned, they seem to be very specific to the customer's installation. As you have read in the BDP-103 threads not everyone is having audio and video synchronization errors, which includes OPPO themselves and many of the beta testers. therefore, it is very likely that the majority of OPPO's customers will not have issues, while a small (but important) minority will need to use Audio Delay's in their receivers or wait for a future firmware release.

I have yet to have any audio sync errors with my BDP-103 and I just un-boxed my BDP-105. As you elude to this is definately setup specific and of course there is no way for Oppo to test every AVR, PrePro and TV combination. So users should continue to report these issues to Oppo, but this is by no means a reason for Oppo to have not released either of these players. Hopefully, they can remedy this issue sooner rather than later for those affected.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #108 of 11318 Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I have yet to have any audio sync errors with my BDP-103 and I just un-boxed my BDP-105. .smile.gif
I bet many of us are waiting anxiously for members like you to compare the 103 and the 105 for AQ. Let us know after you have a chance to play with both.
Hikmer likes this.
post #109 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 12:49 AM
YF

"PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-105 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)"

It is not clear whether the BDP-105 CAN function as a 50Hz/60Hz external converter (576i/50 to 480i/60, 1080i/50 to 1080i/60, etc) through its HDMI inputs. I should be grateful if someone would feed 576i/50 signal (say PAL DVD from another player) and 1080i/50 signal (say a 1080i/50 blu ray from another player) into its HDMI inputs with the TV system set to NTSC in the BDP-105 to find that out.
post #110 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 AM

Hi...

I live in London and received my European BDP-105 last week.

So far I can't get any Network access via the Ethernet LAN port. I do see the ethernet indicator on the display when the cable is connected, but there's nothing else and I'm getting "No Connection" when I test the connection on the Network setup page.

I've tried connecting directly from the router using a cable that I know works, but no dice.

The Wireless option does work, but I'd rather not have to rely on that because despite a strong Wi-Fi signal, my experience of wireless networking at home has been that it's very flaky and totally drops out if anyone in the neighbourhood uses a microwave.

Should it work with a straight ethernet connection to the router, or do I need to set up some kind of home network with Windows first?

If anyone has any ideas - thanks in advance...
post #111 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWatson View Post

Hi...

So far I can't get any Network access via the Ethernet LAN port. I do see the ethernet indicator on the display when the cable is connected, but there's nothing else and I'm getting "No Connection" when I test the connection on the Network setup page.

I've tried connecting directly from the router using a cable that I know works, but no dice.

The Wireless option does work, but I'd rather not have to rely on that because despite a strong Wi-Fi signal, my experience of wireless networking at home has been that it's very flaky and totally drops out if anyone in the neighbourhood uses a microwave.

Should it work with a straight ethernet connection to the router, or do I need to set up some kind of home network with Windows first?

Welcome to AVSForum.

When set to Ethernet, does the player show correct IP info in Setup? That is, are the values reasonable for your network?

If wireless is working then presumably DHCP on your router is working correctly. Is there any reason to think DHCP would work for wireless but not for wired connections to the router?

-Bill
post #112 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I have yet to have any audio sync errors with my BDP-103 and I just un-boxed my BDP-105. As you elude to this is definately setup specific and of course there is no way for Oppo to test every AVR, PrePro and TV combination. So users should continue to report these issues to Oppo, but this is by no means a reason for Oppo to have not released either of these players. Hopefully, they can remedy this issue sooner rather than later for those affected.smile.gif

I saw some horrific audio sync issues playing the DVD of Prestige (region 1 USA) with 24p conversion enabled and using either analogue outs or coax digital. Yet a Blu-ray played with exactly the same connections has no sync issues. So its not always related to set-up. There are some issues with the player itself.
post #113 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Wired networking has been plug and play on every Oppo I've had in the house: BDP-83se, BDP-95, & BDP-105. Check your network settings and see if you have an IP address. If not, try entering one manually. This shouldn't be necessary, but will let you know if you have DHCP issue with the router. There is also a very handy connectivity test that can help with debugging.

Styln
post #114 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Yes I would love to know any thoughts on a comparison of the 103 vs the 105 as well. I am finding the 103 to be a little soft in the bass area (not due to subwoofer issues).
Arashjahn likes this.
post #115 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I replayed the Watchmen disc with the same effect. It appears that the dialogue audio is slightly ahead of video.Very stranbe because I do not have this problem on other Blu ray discs? They seem to play without any timing issue with dialogue. I must say that I am very impressed with the analog XLR outs and listening to CD's.

My copy of WATCHMAN will arrive this afternoon and I will check it out in the 105.
post #116 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF View Post

It is not clear whether the BDP-105 CAN function as a 50Hz/60Hz external converter (576i/50 to 480i/60, 1080i/50 to 1080i/60, etc) through its HDMI inputs. I should be grateful if someone would feed 576i/50 signal (say PAL DVD from another player) and 1080i/50 signal (say a 1080i/50 blu ray from another player) into its HDMI inputs with the TV system set to NTSC in the BDP-105 to find that out.

The player can accept an external HDMI signal and leave it as PAL (50Hz), NTSC (60Hz) or convert it from PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL.
post #117 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Just for those who are reading about this lipsync -issue. I believe[i could be wrong] when it does happen- it ususally happens when using HDMI for video and audio.

For me- Video>HDMI to display- 5.1 MCA to AVR  & amp- I haven't seen nor hear any lipsync issues.

DAB

Beta Tester #9

post #118 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

Quote:

I saw some horrific audio sync issues playing the DVD of Prestige (region 1 USA) with 24p conversion enabled and using either analogue outs or coax digital. Yet a Blu-ray played with exactly the same connections has no sync issues. So its not always related to set-up. There are some issues with the player itself.

I suspect what is going on with these different disc reports has to do with inherent error on some discs. I measure the 105 as having the same sync error in the same playback configuration regardless of the disc -- the firmware issue we've been talking about. However, it is small enough that it may go unnoticed.

Similarly, it is not uncommon for commercial discs to have inherent sync error. Often that goes back to the original movie -- i.e., it was that way in theaters, too -- but sometimes it arises as part of the transfer to disc. Typically, such inherent error will vary scene by scene. Anyway, such errors may ALSO be small enough to go mostly unnoticed unless you are focussed on them.

But COMBINE these two types of error, and now you can't miss it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #119 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

Just for those who are reading about this lipsync -issue. I believe when it does happen- it ususally happens when using HDMI for video and audio.
For me- Video>HDMI to display- 5.1 MCA to AVR  & amp- I haven't seen nor hear any lipsync issues.

DAB
Beta Tester #9

In the 1018 firmware, my testing says there is sync error for the Analog audio outputs as well, but it is about half what's happening on HDMI, so it is even easier to ignore.

Of course the goal is to have 0 error regardless of the combination of outputs -- presuming the source content was in sync to begin with. OPPO engineering is on the case.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #120 of 11318 Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickWatson View Post

Hi...

It should work with an Ethernet cable straight to the Router. The default settings in the player should work without fuss.

It is possible for the Router to be set to limit access. This can be done in several ways, but a common way is that the Router is set to only allow devices to talk to it that are listed by their hardware networking ID -- their "MAC Address". Check you Router to see if you have such access control enabled. The player has 2 MAC addresses -- one for Wifi and one for Ethernet. They are both viewable in Setup > Network Setup > Connection Info.

It is also possible for the Router to be set up to hand out only a limited number of internal networking addresses for devices on your home network. Sometimes this number is set ridiculously small such as no more than 5 devices at a time. By adding the player, you may have gone one device too far.

Check the "DHCP" setup in your router for the range of addresses it is willing to assign. This would look something like 192.168.1.2 -- 192.168.1.100, meaning 98 possible choices. The fact that your Wifi works would suggest this is not the problem, but your Router may be set differently for Ethernet connections.

Also check that you have plugged into a correct socket on your Router. You may have mistakenly plugged into a socket reserved for attaching a Web Server -- i.e., something you want visible to the outside world rather than a device inside your local network like the OPPO.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page