Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,165
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Thanks Bill. Is this the same for the wireless connection as well? meaning there is no manipulating of the signal? I ask because I am looking to start a HD Downloads library and would like to play them through either a 95 or 105 and am pretty green when it comes to all the PC to audio jargon.

Manipulation? Like what?

DAC = Digital to Analog Conversion. There is no way to move digital input to analog output without going through the DACs. Wireless input is the same as everything else.

Conversely, digital to digital transmission doesn't use the DACs at all. This would be the case for HDMI and optical or coax output.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Thanks Bill. Is this the same for the wireless connection as well? meaning there is no manipulating of the signal? I ask because I am looking to start a HD Downloads library and would like to play them through either a 95 or 105 and am pretty green when it comes to all the PC to audio jargon.
As Bill said, ANYTHING that comes out of the analog outputs on the player MUST go through the players DACs. It doesn't matter how the signal gets into the player whether it comes via a wireless or wired network connection, a shiny disc (CD, Bluray, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD), an attached hard drive, an attached flash drive, etc. If it comes out of the analog outputs it has gone through the player's DACs.
gsr is offline  
post #1173 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
neekos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 1,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great, thanks
neekos is offline  
post #1174 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
elphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Goodyear AZ.
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Give OPPO tech support a call. There should be no issue with leaving the ROKU stick inserted. I presume you have it in the FRONT HDMI port, right? It can't be used in the Rear port.
--Bob

The Roku stick was plugged into the front MHL/HDMI port. And yes, I did send an email to OPPO CS describing the problem.
elphillips is online now  
post #1175 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Member
 
audionuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

My 105 which i just installed yesterday is having trouble reading the SACD layer on theGoodbye Yellow Brick road disc. it took 5 tries for it to finally read it. It always came up on the CD layer. It had no trouble with the Dark Side of the Moon hyrbrid. came up on SACD everytime.
Anyone?

May be I am lucky since my 105 have no problem reading all my sacd includingthe one you mention.
audionuts is offline  
post #1176 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Member
 
edwardkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

I don't remember seeing any Oppo advertisements for the BDP-105 as a preamp? Can you please point me to one?
Just curious.
Cheers.
Tony

Please, read "Connecting OPPO BDP-105EU directly to a power amplifier or active speakers" that was posted by OPPO UK, and here is the link that promotes 105 as a Player and Preamp.

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf

Therefore, volmume control on BDP-105 must support the industry standards for power amp input sensivity which is 1 Vrms, not 2Vrms (RCA) and 4.2Vrms (XLR).
edwardkim is offline  
post #1177 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^ I think you are confusing "sensitivity" with peak voltage specs.

The OPPO puts out industry standard line level output for both RCA and XLR.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #1178 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

2TB is the limit for discs that are partitioned with MBR.
This limited is removed for discs partitioned with GPT.
-Bill

Will a Mac be able to read GPT and/or MBR? I'll be connecting the external drive to my Mac computer to transfer music files to it. So I gather there is no limit to how much the 105 can read off a GPT partitioned drive?
cglenn is offline  
post #1179 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Give OPPO tech support a call. There should be no issue with leaving the ROKU stick inserted. I presume you have it in the FRONT HDMI port, right? It can't be used in the Rear port.
--Bob

The Roku stick was plugged into the front MHL/HDMI port. And yes, I did send an email to OPPO CS describing the problem.

Well clearly something is screwed up in your ROKU stick. I leave the Roku stick plugged into the front port all the time for testing, and have had no problems with playing discs.

There have been some reports in the 103 thread of Roku sticks not accepting Roku's latest firmware update until after you do a reset on it (hold the button on the side for about 30 seconds). Check to see if its firmware is up to date (the gears icon on the left end of the channel list). Note that a Reset like that will also discard your channel choices and account credentials, so you'll need to re-enter that stuff in the Roku.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #1180 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

2TB is the limit for discs that are partitioned with MBR.
This limited is removed for discs partitioned with GPT.
-Bill

Will a Mac be able to read GPT and/or MBR? I'll be connecting the external drive to my Mac computer to transfer music files to it. So I gather there is no limit to how much the 105 can read off a GPT partitioned drive?

Partitions larger than 2TB are *SUPPOSED* to be supported in the 103/105 for discs partitioned using GPT (called GUID on the Mac). However unless they snuck a fix into this last Official firmware, I believe there is still a bug in the firmware which prevents use of a partition larger than 2TB at the moment. That's just a bug, and should be fixable in firmware.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #1181 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

Bob, what do you recommend for the sub boost if you are going directly to the amp with setting speakers to snall (to divert to the sub for redbook CDs)?

For regular CDs:

If you are using the Dedicated Stereo Outputs (with Stereo Signal = DOWN MIX STEREO), then there will be no output on the Analog Subwoofer jack, so the question is moot. The Dedicated L/R are treated as Large in this case.

If you are using LF/RF from the multi-channel set (or Dedicated L/R with Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT / RIGHT), and LF/RF are set to Small, then bass will be steered to the Analog Subwoofer output according to the Crossover frequency you select, and that Subwoofer output will need +15dB boost -- typically achieved by raising the volume knob on the Sub in a direct-connect setup.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #1182 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Srgtfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Laguna Niguel, Ca., USA
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

As Bill said, ANYTHING that comes out of the analog outputs on the player MUST go through the players DACs. It doesn't matter how the signal gets into the player whether it comes via a wireless or wired network connection, a shiny disc (CD, Bluray, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD), an attached hard drive, an attached flash drive, etc. If it comes out of the analog outputs it has gone through the player's DACs.

Hi Geoff and Bill!

There is a difference though, on the input side, irrespective of the DAc's heavy lifting...not that the differences are always or ever audible, depending on source material, extraneous gear and auricles, etc..

Thank you very much

Fury
Srgtfury is offline  
post #1183 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
tranle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

Please, read "Connecting OPPO BDP-105EU directly to a power amplifier or active speakers" that was posted by OPPO UK, and here is the link that promotes 105 as a Player and Preamp.
http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf
Therefore, volmume control on BDP-105 must support the industry standards for power amp input sensivity which is 1 Vrms, not 2Vrms (RCA) and 4.2Vrms (XLR).

From the spec of the oppo they say xlr 4.2v for 0db (e.g max volume) and 2.1v for rca (single ended)
On my amps the large one is a 350w and they want 2.419v for full ouput and the smaller amp 125w want 1.445v for full output.
I do not think that power amp have standard input sensitivity as they all have different power output, and your preamp must be able to drive all of them to the max if needed.
tranle is offline  
post #1184 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Member
 
edwardkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Have you tried using the trim function in the set up menu to lower the line outputs to the amp by 10 DB each? Seems like an possible solution...

Yes, I did try. That did not work because, all speaker settings are for "multi-channels" only and my system is 2.1 stereo.
NOTE on page 69

"Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only...."

Please, let me know, if I misunderstood the setting which is detailed in the User Manual.
edwardkim is offline  
post #1185 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Member
 
edwardkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post

From the spec of the oppo they say xlr 4.2v for 0db (e.g max volume) and 2.1v for rca (single ended)
On my amps the large one is a 350w and they want 2.419v for full ouput and the smaller amp 125w want 1.445v for full output.
I do not think that power amp have standard input sensitivity as they all have different power output, and your preamp must be able to drive all of them to the max if needed.

Read this article which states that industry standard for line level is 0.775V
- http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/hi-fi_plus_review.html

There are many others articles available via Google which very much state the same - please, help yourself ...
edwardkim is offline  
post #1186 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
jimshowalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Just got the 105 today. It sounds fantastic using the balanced outputs directly to a Parasound amp.
Others have mentioned using this player with a direct connection to an amp (with the variable volume control). That's where I got the idea.
If I only need to play discs and watch movies, does a pre-amp or receiver add anything other than automated room correction (e.g. Audyssey) and pseudo-surround modes (e.g. Dolby Music, Neutral, etc)? I would think adding another layer in between the source and the amp creates opportunity to degrade the sound...
What I am missing?

IMHO, if you have no other analog sources, and all of your digital sources can be connected to the Oppo, then you can and probably should connect the Oppo directly to the amps, and run everything else through the Oppo.

If on the other hand you have a turntable, then that won't work. However, if you get a preamp with a true bypass, then you can connect the Oppo to the bypass and then to the amps, run the turntable (or other analog source) through the non-bypass part of the preamp, and the other digital sources through the Oppo.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
jimshowalter is offline  
post #1187 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Member
 
triweaver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

Will a Mac be able to read GPT and/or MBR? I'll be connecting the external drive to my Mac computer to transfer music files to it. So I gather there is no limit to how much the 105 can read off a GPT partitioned drive?

As Bob indicated this is possible on the Mac. Just a reminder to use NTFS file system and special software if you plan on direct connecting the HDD to the OPPO. If you are going to use DLNA or SMB then the normal Mac file system (HFS+) will be ok.
triweaver2 is offline  
post #1188 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by triweaver2 View Post

As Bob indicated this is possible on the Mac. Just a reminder to use NTFS file system and special software if you plan on direct connecting the HDD to the OPPO. If you are going to use DLNA or SMB then the normal Mac file system (HFS+) will be ok.

1. Do I format the drive as GUID or NTSF? Now I'm confused.

2. What special software do I need? I do plan to permanently plug the drive into one of the rear USB ports.

3. See my next post for more off-topic question. rolleyes.gif
cglenn is offline  
post #1189 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,165
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

1. Do I format the drive as GUID or NTSF? Now I'm confused.

2. What special software do I need? I do plan to permanently plug the drive into one of the rear USB ports.

3. See my next post for more off-topic question. rolleyes.gif

GPT is the partitioning type. Its GPT (new) vs MBR (old).

NTFS is the file system. It's NTFS vs FAT vs many other types not supported by OPPO.

Mac software: it's been posted here but I did not save the link.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1190 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kind of off topic, but I don't know where to start.

I need Mac-based software that will record from line input, save as FLAC, and be able to split large files into several smaller ones (could be 2 separate softwares).

Prior to loading up my yet-to-be-purchased 2+ TB USB external drive, I need to get the music into my MAC computer. My music collection is on a proprietary home entertainment center dedicated DVR recorder with hard drive (Panasonic DMR-E85, no computer input). The only way to get the music into the computer is by real-time playing of each piece (input via toslink), while recording as it plays, then saving the file as FLAC.

I have installed (and rejected) 3 sets of MAC software so far, each of which says it can record from line input and save in other formats (one did not include FLAC, and another first saves it in it's own proprietary format prior to re-saving as FLAC; the other just did not work). Two of these also claimed to have editing software, but neither seemed to be able to simply split a test file into two separate files.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
cglenn is offline  
post #1191 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Member
 
jcm2128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardkim View Post

Yes, I did try. That did not work because, all speaker settings are for "multi-channels" only and my system is 2.1 stereo.
Please, let me know, if I misunderstood the setting which is detailed in the User Manual.

Okay. Surprised the trim function doesn't work for Stereo. It should. I am compiling a firmware upgrade list. (I also appreciate the other post with the link to Oppo brochure stating how the player can preamp)

Here is my list so far.

1. Have the default variable volume initially set to 0 out of the box and if the unit gets reset (Otherwise the player should remember the last setting prior to being shut off/unplugged). 100 just doesn't make sense and someone WILL make the mistake of leaving it at 100 and potentially break their amp/speakers (and damage their hearing - a health hazard).
2. Enable trim volume for all source types (multichannel, stereo, 2.1, etc). I would appreciate this function for all modes because my right speaker is about 1 foot further away and I measured about .5 DB difference in SPL. It could also solve the amp voltage sensitivity issue.
3. One button selection for different audio and pseudo-surround modes (e.g. toggle between "pure direct", stereo, DTS: Neo 6. I only have a projector and don't leave it on while listening so navigating via OSD is not possible.
4. Although I don't often listen to 2 channel in surround modes, I would be nice for them to add couple new ones:
a. Multi-channel stereo that sends a stereo output to the surround speakers with no other DSP (i.e. equal output for the front and surrounds... adjusting, of course, for any speaker level level trim).
b. Addition of Dolby Pro logic II - this probably costs money, but could be an optional paid upgrade for those who are interested (assuming it's reasonable.... less the $50). This probably the most popular DSP
option for expanding two channel music, and in my opinion, significantly better than DTS: NEO 6.
jcm2128 is offline  
post #1192 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

GPT is the partitioning type. Its GPT (new) vs MBR (old).
NTFS is the file system. It's NTFS vs FAT vs many other types not supported by OPPO.
Mac software: it's been posted here but I did not save the link.
-Bill

Am I looking for software that can do NTFS partitioning of an external USB drive on a MAC?
cglenn is offline  
post #1193 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,165
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post


Am I looking for software that can do NTFS partitioning of an external USB drive on a MAC?

Is this a trick question?

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #1194 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Member
 
oldav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have tried to keep up with this thread, but I am sure I have missed a few post along the way. There have been a few threads talking about using the 105 as pre-amp. I thought to myself, are they serious!! Oppo says it's a player not player pre-amp, which normally means you plug this into your receiver or pre-amp. As with many things new, the curious are always going to see if there may be a hidden gem within. Then I read that a few have tried directly plugging the XLR outputs directly to their amps only to find they didn't like the way the Oppo handled the volume. I may be mistaken (have been many times before), but I always thought the variable volume control was for the RCA analog outputs and not balanced outputs.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend the following procedure without some good understanding of your equipment, and of course, all the SPCA (Society to Prevent Cruelty to Amplifiers) guidelines were followed.

Though I knew better, I just had to try it (XLR directly to amps from Oppo). In many ways we are like sheep, one falls into the drinking tub and drowns the rest of the flock will do the same in sympathy. Well at least I did turn down the volume to 0 on the Oppo before playing a source. When I turned the volume up to 1, my amps looked to me as to say, what the heck is this crap your feeding me, if you wanted it to sound like something coming out of a megaphone or boombox why didn't you just get one of those instead! Please, please plug me back into the pre-amp, they screamed, so I can reproduce that beautiful sound as before! I didn't test any RCA cable hook-ups, I just don't have any to try it with. I would think, although the volume may be corrected, that the SQ still would be inferior to that of using the pre-amp.

Conclusions: I guess the jury is still out on using the 105 as a analog pre-amp since I don't have the proper cables to hook it up that way. DO NOT try hooking up the XLR's directly to your amps, sound is horrific!! I know, some will try it anyway, as I did, hearing is believing sort of thing.

Trying to get the manufacturer to make changes to their product for purposes it was not designed for is just wrong in my opinion. It's a player, not a pre-amp. It does what is suppose to do and does it very well. They are addressing issues which can be addressed within their design and advertised design in a timely manner, unlike other manufacturers. That is all that can be expected.

Just so you know I didn't use some old junkie equipment laying around, it was some fairly good stuff.

Sorry for the long winded post.
oldav is offline  
post #1195 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

For regular CDs:
If you are using the Dedicated Stereo Outputs (with Stereo Signal = DOWN MIX STEREO), then there will be no output on the Analog Subwoofer jack, so the question is moot. The Dedicated L/R are treated as Large in this case.
If you are using LF/RF from the multi-channel set (or Dedicated L/R with Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT / RIGHT), and LF/RF are set to Small, then bass will be steered to the Analog Subwoofer output according to the Crossover frequency you select, and that Subwoofer output will need +15dB boost -- typically achieved by raising the volume knob on the Sub in a direct-connect setup.
--Bob

Hooked up the 105 late last night and discovered you can do that with the dedicated Stereo outputs, use them with center channel and Surrounds. Didn't know you can use the separate DAC this way on this machine. Excellent!
Pres2play is online now  
post #1196 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Member
 
audionuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

I have tried to keep up with this thread, but I am sure I have missed a few post along the way. There have been a few threads talking about using the 105 as pre-amp. I thought to myself, are they serious!! Oppo says it's a player not player pre-amp, which normally means you plug this into your receiver or pre-amp. As with many things new, the curious are always going to see if there may be a hidden gem within. Then I read that a few have tried directly plugging the XLR outputs directly to their amps only to find they didn't like the way the Oppo handled the volume. I may be mistaken (have been many times before), but I always thought the variable volume control was for the RCA analog outputs and not balanced outputs.
Disclaimer: I do not recommend the following procedure without some good understanding of your equipment, and of course, all the SPCA (Society to Prevent Cruelty to Amplifiers) guidelines were followed.
Though I knew better, I just had to try it (XLR directly to amps from Oppo). In many ways we are like sheep, one falls into the drinking tub and drowns the rest of the flock will do the same in sympathy. Well at least I did turn down the volume to 0 on the Oppo before playing a source. When I turned the volume up to 1, my amps looked to me as to say, what the heck is this crap your feeding me, if you wanted it to sound like something coming out of a megaphone or boombox why didn't you just get one of those instead! Please, please plug me back into the pre-amp, they screamed, so I can reproduce that beautiful sound as before! I didn't test any RCA cable hook-ups, I just don't have any to try it with. I would think, although the volume may be corrected, that the SQ still would be inferior to that of using the pre-amp.
Conclusions: I guess the jury is still out on using the 105 as a analog pre-amp since I don't have the proper cables to hook it up that way. DO NOT try hooking up the XLR's directly to your amps, sound is horrific!! I know, some will try it anyway, as I did, hearing is believing sort of thing.
Trying to get the manufacturer to make changes to their product for purposes it was not designed for is just wrong in my opinion. It's a player, not a pre-amp. It does what is suppose to do and does it very well. They are addressing issues which can be addressed within their design and advertised design in a timely manner, unlike other manufacturers. That is all that can be expected.
Just so you know I didn't use some old junkie equipment laying around, it was some fairly good stuff.
Sorry for the long winded post.

I did tested the xlr out directly to my amp and though the sound was natural and liveable. Althought, it was not as good as my dedicated 2channel preamp but far from horible.

The Dac of the player is a major key component of how the 105 sounds. xlr or rca analog should not sound much different in quality. If you find no use of its analog out then I would recommend you to return it for the 103 or try something else. Just my 2cts.
audionuts is offline  
post #1197 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
 
jimshowalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

There have been a few threads talking about using the 105 as pre-amp. I thought to myself, are they serious!! Oppo says it's a player not player pre-amp, which normally means you plug this into your receiver or pre-amp.

Oppo in Europe has published a white paper about how to use the 105 as a preamp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

I may be mistaken (have been many times before), but I always thought the variable volume control was for the RCA analog outputs and not balanced outputs.

Unbalanced (RCA) and balanced (XLR) are two ways to send signals between components. XLR has the advantage of better noise immunity due to common-mode rejection. RCA has the advantage (oddly) of being less noisy in other ways than XLR (see Douglas Self's books for an explanation, but he's correct).

Both RCA and XLR are affected by volume controls. It would be peculiar if a preamp or other piece of equipment only varied the volume on the RCA connectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

Then I read that a few have tried directly plugging the XLR outputs directly to their amps only to find they didn't like the way the Oppo handled the volume.

The users who are unhappy about Oppo's volume control are complaining about the range of amplifier input sensitivities supported by the Oppo. It can drive some amps quite well, others maybe not so well. Similar complaints have been registered for the headphone amp in the Oppo. In both cases, the discussion is basically whether the Oppo is a true general-purpose preamp and headphone amp (ignoring electrostatic headphones). Perhaps it is not, and perhaps Oppo will respond to that conclusion in a future release (whether of the 105, or of its successor). For users who are lucky to have amps and/or headphones that fall in the sweet spot of the 105's drive capabilities, they are very happy.

Note that this problem exists for other preamp/amp and headphone-amp/headphone combinations. It's not unique to the 105. There is always discussion on forums about what preamp is best to drive a particular amp, and what headphone amp to use with a particular kind of headphones. Devising a preamp or headphone amp that can drive a wide range of devices can introduce compromises in the design. It's not always a good idea to try to accommodate the widest possible range.

There are also some users who remain skeptical about the wisdom of controlling volume in the digital domain at all, and for them the idea of directly connecting the Oppo to a power amp is moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

I would think, although the volume may be corrected, that the SQ still would be inferior to that of using the pre-amp.

There's no reason to think that. Adding a preamp between the Oppo's outputs and a power amp's inputs adds more opportunity for signal distortion (but it also though adds the possibility of better matching the input sensitivity and impedance of the amps, if they happen to fall out of the sweet spot of the Oppo; and it adds the possibility of controlling volume entirely in the analog domain).
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

DO NOT try hooking up the XLR's directly to your amps, sound is horrific!

Ironically many of the users posting here who have directly connected their Oppo to power amps have done so over XLR, and many of them have said the sound is the best they've heard. It sounds like your system has something not correct about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

It's a player, not a pre-amp.

Again, Oppo Europe says otherwise.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
jimshowalter is offline  
post #1198 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Member
 
jcm2128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldav View Post

I have tried to keep up with this thread, but I am sure I have missed a few post along the way. There have been a few threads talking about using the 105 as pre-amp. I thought to myself, are they serious!! Oppo says it's a player not player pre-amp, which normally means you plug this into your receiver or pre-amp. As with many things new, the curious are always going to see if there may be a hidden gem within. Then I read that a few have tried directly plugging the XLR outputs directly to their amps only to find they didn't like the way the Oppo handled the volume. I may be mistaken (have been many times before), but I always thought the variable volume control was for the RCA analog outputs and not balanced outputs.
Disclaimer: I do not recommend the following procedure without some good understanding of your equipment, and of course, all the SPCA (Society to Prevent Cruelty to Amplifiers) guidelines were followed.
Though I knew better, I just had to try it (XLR directly to amps from Oppo). In many ways we are like sheep, one falls into the drinking tub and drowns the rest of the flock will do the same in sympathy. Well at least I did turn down the volume to 0 on the Oppo before playing a source. When I turned the volume up to 1, my amps looked to me as to say, what the heck is this crap your feeding me, if you wanted it to sound like something coming out of a megaphone or boombox why didn't you just get one of those instead! Please, please plug me back into the pre-amp, they screamed, so I can reproduce that beautiful sound as before! I didn't test any RCA cable hook-ups, I just don't have any to try it with. I would think, although the volume may be corrected, that the SQ still would be inferior to that of using the pre-amp.
Conclusions: I guess the jury is still out on using the 105 as a analog pre-amp since I don't have the proper cables to hook it up that way. DO NOT try hooking up the XLR's directly to your amps, sound is horrific!! I know, some will try it anyway, as I did, hearing is believing sort of thing.
Trying to get the manufacturer to make changes to their product for purposes it was not designed for is just wrong in my opinion. It's a player, not a pre-amp. It does what is suppose to do and does it very well. They are addressing issues which can be addressed within their design and advertised design in a timely manner, unlike other manufacturers. That is all that can be expected.
Just so you know I didn't use some old junkie equipment laying around, it was some fairly good stuff.
Sorry for the long winded post.

Hi, did you see the recent post with a link to an Oppo produced brochure about how to connect the 105 directly to an amp or powered speakers? Here it is again for reference... so not sure about the sheep comment. I also called Oppo before doing this and they responded "That's how we have it set up in the demo room."

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf

FYI.... I connected the 105 directly to a Parasound two channel amp using XLR and the results were fantastic (better than through my RCA input on my Marantz SR7005 AVR and back out via RCA to the Parasound).

I had no issues with volume control. The sound reaches low listening volumes at around 15 - 20, moderate at 20 - 30, and loud 30+ with my speakers (93 db sensitivity).
jcm2128 is offline  
post #1199 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Is this a trick question?
-Bill
Actually not. Maybe I used the word 'partitioning' when I should have used 'formatting?' The other poster said I needed 'special software' to do what I want, and I am unsure what s/he means.
cglenn is offline  
post #1200 of 11445 Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
jimshowalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

Actually not. Maybe I used the word 'partitioning' when I should have used 'formatting?' The other poster said I needed 'special software' to do what I want, and I am unsure what s/he means.

I think what Bob means is that NTFS is a Windows-only filesystem. I don't think it works on a Mac at all.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
jimshowalter is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off