Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 400 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 480Likes

post #11971 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
^ The MediaControl app has been temporarily pulled until OPPO can release a less broken version. (The oven door was opened on the last release a little too soon.) Presumably that will happen soon.

Appropriate levels for Darbee vary according to the quality of the content you are watching. For my recommendations on that see my post at the start of the 103D owner's thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11972 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Got my 105D Friday and very impressed with it so far. No issue with playing any of my files so far. The Darbee video processing is nice. What level you guys set at? I got 80% right now.
Also, the manual comes with a flyer with Oppo MediaControl App. I can't find this app on the iOS app store. Is this only for offshore? What app you guys use to select the media you want to play from your mobile devices?
I'm sure somebody will respond to your first question regarding Darbee. With regards to the Media Control HD app, Oppo pulled their latest version off of the iOS app store due to a major bug that caused the app to crash when selecting your media via attached usb drive or SMB server. Hopefully, Oppo will put out a new version soon. In the meantime, you can use Oppo's onscreen browser to access your media files (you will need your tv or other display on for this). There's also DLNA, which is a network protocol, if you have your media stored somewhere on your home network. You'll need a DLNA server running in your home network (i.e. a home pc or running embedded on a NAS), in addition to an iOS control point app if you don't want to turn your display on to listen to music. I can elaborate further on this if you're interested.
this is me and keikihula like this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-08-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #11973 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
You don't have to set HDMI Audio to "off". Setting SACD Output to "DSD" will force DSD out the HDMI 2 output only if your pre-pro can accept it, otherwise the 105 will "mute" the audio on that HDMI output and its HDMI 1 output if that is active also. So, you can leave HDMI audio on "Auto" without having to switch it.
Thank you, that seems to work just fine. What took me quite a while to figure out (and I couldn't find any reference to it in the Oppo User's Manual) is that in order to use the 7.1 analog outs, you need to set the volume from "variable" to "fixed"
post #11974 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolezalek View Post
Thank you, that seems to work just fine. What took me quite a while to figure out (and I couldn't find any reference to it in the Oppo User's Manual) is that in order to use the 7.1 analog outs, you need to set the volume from "variable" to "fixed"
That's not true. The Oppo's analog outs are always active. You're just disabling the Oppo's volume control by changing the setting to "fixed". That maxes out the volume at 100 and deactivates the Oppo's volume control. Variable volume means you have control over the volume and can set it anywhere in the range from 0(mute) to 100(max).
post #11975 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I've got to say, I've never been a fan of having volume controls on media device remotes. I'd rather have a configurable volume output option within a menu somewhere.

I get really annoyed when the other half has fiddled around with the volume controls (but swears she hasn't)

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 12-08-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #11976 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
That's not true. The Oppo's analog outs are always active. You're just disabling the Oppo's volume control by changing the setting to "fixed". That maxes out the volume at 100 and deactivates the Oppo's volume control. Variable volume means you have control over the volume and can set it anywhere in the range from 0(mute) to 100(max).
So if I leave it set to variable, where would I change the output level for the analog outputs? That being said, from a purity of signal standpoint, you would want the volume control on the pre/pro or receiver to be the only one not set at 100% because each attenuator adds a tiny bit of additional noise.
post #11977 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So if I leave it set to variable, where would I change the output level for the analog outputs? That being said, from a purity of signal standpoint, you would want the volume control on the pre/pro or receiver to be the only one not set at 100% because each attenuator adds a tiny bit of additional noise.
When the Oppo's Output Volume is set to "Variable", simply use the "-" and "+" buttons on the top of your remote to change volume of the analog outputs. Each step of volume is .5 dB attenuation/gain.

As for the second part of your post, everyone has different home configurations/electronics. If you're feeding your 105's analog outs direct to an amp(s), then the 105's volume attenuation is all you have. And it works beautifully. Granted, there are some amps that don't match well with the 105's analog output specs, but most do. Remember, the 105's volume is done digitally in the Sabre DAC's. The noise floor is extremely low.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-08-2014 at 11:59 AM.
post #11978 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm sure somebody will respond to your first question regarding Darbee. With regards to the Media Control HD app, Oppo pulled their latest version off of the iOS app store due to a major bug that caused the app to crash when selecting your media via attached usb drive or SMB server. Hopefully, Oppo will put out a new version soon. In the meantime, you can use Oppo's onscreen browser to access your media files (you will need your tv or other display on for this). There's also DLNA, which is a network protocol, if you have your media stored somewhere on your home network. You'll need a DLNA server running in your home network (i.e. a home pc or running embedded on a NAS), in addition to an iOS control point app if you don't want to turn your display on to listen to music. I can elaborate further on this if you're interested.
Yes, please elaborate on how I can use a mobile device like an iphone to select the media on my DLNA storage device.
I have a My Cloud that I store the media files on. I have to use the TV screen to select the files I want to play. I just don't want to leave the TV on or have to turn it on and off so often. If I can do that on my mobile device, it would be great.
post #11979 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
When the Oppo's Output Volume is set to "Variable", simply use the "-" and "+" buttons on the top of your remote to change volume of the analog outputs. Each step of volume is .5 dB attenuation/gain.

As for the second part of your post, everyone has different home configurations/electronics. If you're feeding your 105's analog outs direct to an amp(s), then the 105's volume attenuation is all you have. And it works beautifully. Granted, there are some amps that don't match well with the 105's analog output specs, but most do. Remember, the 105's volume is done digitally in the Sabre DAC's. The noise floor is extremely low.
Thanks Dan! I still have a lot to learn about my new Oppo and, in general, the User's Manual is extremely well written (much clearer than that on my Bryston SP3 pre/pro. But the two units seems to be working quite well together, both through the 7.1 analog feed and the balanced stereo XLR feeds. I must say that the Oppo has much more flexibility to it than most reviews seem to give it credit for.
post #11980 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Yes, please elaborate on how I can use a mobile device like an iphone to select the media on my DLNA storage device.
I have a My Cloud that I store the media files on. I have to use the TV screen to select the files I want to play. I just don't want to leave the TV on or have to turn it on and off so often. If I can do that on my mobile device, it would be great.
This forum is probably not the best to discuss network drives, uPnP apps, and DLNA protocols, but I'm sure there's a support forum for your device you'll be able to gain knowledge from. And I'm positive your device has available uPnP apps to utilize what you want to do. As it relates to the 105, the player can become a media "renderer", which means you can send (push) your digital media from your networked drive to your 105 using a uPnP control point app running on your iPhone/iPad (tv not required ). I believe the My Cloud is a DLNA certified device. You need a dlna media server running (preferably on your My Cloud's processor). You'll have to check if your storage device has a media server package that can be installed on it. My Synology NAS does. Granted, there are limitations in using DLNA to communicate with your Oppo. For one, you will lose gapless playback for audio, and I believe, certain format types of subtitles for movies also. You just have to weigh if you can live with them. DLNA is not rock solid. There's always some hiccups/crashes from time to time.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-08-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #11981 of 13724 Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
With the BDP-105 and 105D, you aren't going to increase the noise floor until the volume gets below 50%,
and even then the difference is VERY minimal.
Generally speaking though, if you are are using an external volume control from something like a pre/pro,
then it's probably best to just keep the volume at 100% in the player,
or even put the menu volume setting at "fixed" so it isn't accidentally turned down.
scirica likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #11982 of 13724 Old 12-09-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So what is the deal with the nice bag they have in the box? DO I use this when I go to Sam's Club or Aldi?!!
post #11983 of 13724 Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brap View Post
So what is the deal with the nice bag they have in the box? DO I use this when I go to Sam's Club or Aldi?!!
Or you can use it to carry your curlers and hair dryer when you go out of town.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #11984 of 13724 Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Use it if you need to carry lesser gear in public. To avoid the shame.
--Bob
post #11985 of 13724 Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Apple just made available a new version of Oppo's Media Control app (V 3.0.3) for iOS devices.

Check it out! Hope it's more stable/robust!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	412801  

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-10-2014 at 07:12 AM.
post #11986 of 13724 Old 12-09-2014, 10:11 PM
NW.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
I've got a bit of a BDP-105 firmware history question. I have a US based BDP-105 (I live in Japan). I could have sworn last year I played an Australian DVD Region (not too sure how it even played PAL?). But this year when I tried to play the very same DVD, on the very same player, it wouldn't play. The only thing I can think of that had changed over the past 12 months is the firmware.

Did Oppo ever have a firmware where the region code wasn't properly locked down and fixed in latter firmwares?
Quote:
Well actually currently it performs as to be expected (a US BDP-105 not being able to play a DVD from Australia). But now it makes me wonder how in the world it worked before last year? I've never tried the Superdisk s/w mod. So this is baffling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
It has never been possible to play non-region-1 DVDs on Oppo players without some kind of altered firmware or hack.
The best guess I can offer is that your player may have been altered in such a way that enabled the playback of said disc.
The easiest way to enable region free playback of DVDs on the Oppo players is with the SUPERDISK.
I believe you need to run the Superdisk again whenever you update the firmware.
You just need to burn it to disc and then run it in the player. Then your player will be able to play all regions of DVDs.
This method does not effect Blu-ray playback and for a North American player, that will still be locked to Region-A.
If you want region free playback for Blu-ray, then you will need a hardware mod.

Just to clarify this. The BDP-105 plays both NTSC and PAL DVDs out of the box. The US version out of the box (unmodified) will play region 1 DVDs, or DVDs coded for multiple regions that include region 1, or DVDs coded for all regions. It's certainly possible to have an Australian DVD coded for all regions or multiple regions including region 1 and if it was the BDP-105 should play it. That said, if you are not able to play the same DVD (and not just a different copy/version of the same title?) that you were able to play earlier in your ownership then that suggests, as Smarty-pants says, that your BDP-105 had been modified (absent some hardware fault). Did you get your player sealed in the box or did someone - who might have applied SuperDisc - set it up for you? Did anyone else tinker with it?

Most of what I've read about SuperDisc suggests that the multi-region software mod generally survives firmware upgrades, but there are apparently times when it will need to be applied again. If you decide to run SuperDisc then you must use a CD-R and not a DVD-R.
post #11987 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW. View Post
Just to clarify this. The BDP-105 plays both NTSC and PAL DVDs out of the box. The US version out of the box (unmodified) will play region 1 DVDs, or DVDs coded for multiple regions that include region 1, or DVDs coded for all regions. It's certainly possible to have an Australian DVD coded for all regions or multiple regions including region 1 and if it was the BDP-105 should play it. That said, if you are not able to play the same DVD (and not just a different copy/version of the same title?) that you were able to play earlier in your ownership then that suggests, as Smarty-pants says, that your BDP-105 had been modified (absent some hardware fault). Did you get your player sealed in the box or did someone - who might have applied SuperDisc - set it up for you? Did anyone else tinker with it?

Most of what I've read about SuperDisc suggests that the multi-region software mod generally survives firmware upgrades, but there are apparently times when it will need to be applied again. If you decide to run SuperDisc then you must use a CD-R and not a DVD-R.
Mystery solved! And rather embarrassingly as to be expected, "User error"...or more precisely "user with failing memory". I had a look at the DVD again and it actually says Region 2. Meaning that most likely I played it through my Japanese PS3 instead & had nothing to do with my Oppo. Sorry for the misinformation. But I truly appreciate your responses.
scirica likes this.
post #11988 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Mystery solved! And rather embarrassingly as to be expected, "User error"...or more precisely "user with failing memory". I had a look at the DVD again and it actually says Region 2. Meaning that most likely I played it through my Japanese PS3 instead & had nothing to do with my Oppo. Sorry for the misinformation. But I truly appreciate your responses.
I was even going to post another reply earlier and never did,
saying that one time I had the same thought process about a disc playing in the 105 and not playing later.
It turned out that my memory was confused and the player it did play on was the BDP-93 and not the -105.
It happens...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #11989 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey, guys. Is there a reason the speaker trim adjustments would not work? I have my 105D directly connected to an amp, downmixed stereo. The speaker trim for the level does not seem to have any effect.

Thoughts?

5.1 System
Denon AVR-2312CI | Oppo BDP-105D | Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 | Energy Take Classic | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV
2.1 System
Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound Halo A 21 | Parasound Halo P 5 | Rega RP-3 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #11990 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Are you using the dedicated stereo outputs? If so, do you have the Stereo Signal setting in the Audio Processing menu set to "Down-mixed Stereo"? If so, that's the reason.

The speaker trim adjustments in Speaker Configuration apply to the multi-channel outputs and normally do not carry over to the dedicated stereo outputs. The default setting for the dedicated stereo outputs is for a full range down-mixed stereo output with the down-mixing performed separately to any down-mix occurring for the multi-channel outputs. If you change the Stereo Signal setting to "Front Left/Right", the dedicated stereo DAC will take the digital feed for the front left and right channels of the multi-channel DAC and deliver higher quality conversion to analog for those 2 channels and this also results in any speaker trim settings made in Stereo Configuration being carried over to the dedicated stereo outputs.

So if you answered "Yes" to both my questions above, simply change the Stereo Signal setting to "Front Left/Right".
jake9 likes this.
post #11991 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post
Hey, guys. Is there a reason the speaker trim adjustments would not work? I have my 105D directly connected to an amp, downmixed stereo. The speaker trim for the level does not seem to have any effect.

Thoughts?
If you are using the Left Front / Right Front output jacks of the multi-channel Analog set, and have set Speaker Configuration > Down-Mix set to STEREO, the only speaker trims that should have any effect are for Left Front and Right Front (and Subwoofer if you turn it back ON). I.e., you can not alter how the Center and Surround channels contribute to that down-mix.

If, instead, you are using either the RCA or XLR output pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs, and if you have Stereo Signal set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO (so that those outputs operate independently of the settings for the multi-channel Analog set), then no speaker level trims are available for those. I.e., the Speaker Configuration speaker level trims are for the MULTI-CHANNEL outputs.

If the last content you have played is an SACD disc or DSD media files with SACD Output set to use DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. Or if the last content you have played is via the Asynchronous USB DAC Input. Then play something else, like a CD, and try the speaker level trims again. Those forms of playback bypass audio processing in the 105D, and it is not re-enabled again until you play something else. The speaker trims are part of audio processing.
--Bob
jake9 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #11992 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone tell me what would happen given the following:

1- I have an oppo 105D
2- I have an ISCOO III lens
3- I have a 2:35-1 screen
4- I have a Sony VPL 50 projector

now as everyone knows, when using the oppo, you can press the zoom - stretch button - I slide my ISCO III lens into place and voila I have wonderful scope ratio movies no black bars.

Now lets change up things

I replace the sony vpl 50 project with a sony 500/600ES 4k projector

now I do the same thing, except I hit the resolution button to upscale my oppo from 1080p/24 to 4k/2k at I assume 24p -- -and now I send the image to my project the 500 ES in this case, and now I press the stretch button what would happen? would it stretch like what happens when I use that button on 1080p resolution?

this is the oppo stretching not the projecto since my vpl50 certainly cannot do that. I cannot test this since I do not have 'yet' a 4k projector and the manual for the oppo does not state anywhere I can find (perhaps I missed it) that when in 4k upscaling 'stretch will not work' is this true? anyone have such a configuration and tried it?

regards
Charles2006
post #11993 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you are using the Left Front / Right Front output jacks of the multi-channel Analog set, and have set Speaker Configuration > Down-Mix set to STEREO, the only speaker trims that should have any effect are for Left Front and Right Front (and Subwoofer if you turn it back ON). I.e., you can not alter how the Center and Surround channels contribute to that down-mix.

If, instead, you are using either the RCA or XLR output pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs, and if you have Stereo Signal set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO (so that those outputs operate independently of the settings for the multi-channel Analog set), then no speaker level trims are available for those. I.e., the Speaker Configuration speaker level trims are for the MULTI-CHANNEL outputs.

If the last content you have played is an SACD disc or DSD media files with SACD Output set to use DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. Or if the last content you have played is via the Asynchronous USB DAC Input. Then play something else, like a CD, and try the speaker level trims again. Those forms of playback bypass audio processing in the 105D, and it is not re-enabled again until you play something else. The speaker trims are part of audio processing.
--Bob
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I only have two speakers so I am using the dedicated stereo analog outputs, not the LF-RF outputs, so that's the answer. I wish that was clearer. But thank you.

My amplifier has left and right gain levels. I will have to use those to adjust the levels then.

5.1 System
Denon AVR-2312CI | Oppo BDP-105D | Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 | Energy Take Classic | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV
2.1 System
Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound Halo A 21 | Parasound Halo P 5 | Rega RP-3 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #11994 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I only have two speakers so I am using the dedicated stereo analog outputs, not the LF-RF outputs, so that's the answer. I wish that was clearer. But thank you.

My amplifier has left and right gain levels. I will have to use those to adjust the levels then.
Why do you need to adjust trim on a 2-ch setup? Are your speakers not matched? If you're not sitting dead center between your two speakers, wouldn't the 105's "speaker distance" setting be more appropriate?
post #11995 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Why do you need to adjust trim on a 2-ch setup? Are your speakers not matched? If you're not sitting dead center between your two speakers, wouldn't the 105's "speaker distance" setting be more appropriate?
The right speaker seems to be just a tad louder than the other. I don't know why. Could be the room or something like that.

5.1 System
2.1 System
post #11996 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Furniture, flooring, pictures on the wall, a table...
post #11997 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

It's also possible it is just a false impression.

Jake9, play a test track from a calibration disc, such as the LPCM 2.0 track from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, and check the actual level coming from your two front speakers with an SPL meter.

Set the SPL meter to Slow response and "C" weighting. Hold it at arms length, pointing straight up to the ceiling, with the tip located at seated ear height at your center seating location.

A mismatch between what should be matched speakers could mean a driver is not firing in the softer sounding speaker. Go put your ear up close to each driver and make sure all are producing sound.

------------------------------------------------

Of course if you are not already using the multi-channel Analog outputs, there's and easy fix for this. You can configure the L/R dedicated stereo outputs (either RCA or XLR) to respond to all the settings that affect the LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set by setting Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT.

For proper stereo listening, you will need to configure LF/RF as Large (so that bass is not steered to the Subwoofer output). You can set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO if you want to listen to multi-channel content as well out of this stereo pair. But that's not necessary if you are only playing stereo content.

Indeed you can ALSO wire the multi-channel Analog outputs normally so long as you are OK with the same settings for LF/RF as work for your stereo listening on L/R.
--Bob

post #11998 of 13724 Old 12-11-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles2006 View Post
Can anyone tell me what would happen given the following:

1- I have an oppo 105D
2- I have an ISCOO III lens
3- I have a 2:35-1 screen
4- I have a Sony VPL 50 projector

now as everyone knows, when using the oppo, you can press the zoom - stretch button - I slide my ISCO III lens into place and voila I have wonderful scope ratio movies no black bars.

Now lets change up things

I replace the sony vpl 50 project with a sony 500/600ES 4k projector

now I do the same thing, except I hit the resolution button to upscale my oppo from 1080p/24 to 4k/2k at I assume 24p -- -and now I send the image to my project the 500 ES in this case, and now I press the stretch button what would happen? would it stretch like what happens when I use that button on 1080p resolution?

this is the oppo stretching not the projecto since my vpl50 certainly cannot do that. I cannot test this since I do not have 'yet' a 4k projector and the manual for the oppo does not state anywhere I can find (perhaps I missed it) that when in 4k upscaling 'stretch will not work' is this true? anyone have such a configuration and tried it?

regards
Charles2006
I do not recall if the vertical stretch can be done while also scaling to 4k. I don't have a 4k display so I can't test that feature.

I also don't know if 4k can be output as 24fps. I know the scaling is somewhat limited.
Remember the hardware in the player is now a few years old.
The manual for the BDP-105 does say this...
>>"For content that has a 50Hz or 60Hz (59.95Hz) frame rate, the output will be 4Kx2K at 25Hz or 30Hz (29.97Hz)."<<

I know the "D" models (BDP-105D and BDP-103D) do have the ability to
output 4K/50 and 4K/60 in YCbCr 4:2:0 data format on the HDMI-1 output. That is not possible on the non-D models.
So that would be a plus for you since you already have a -105D.

However, an important factor that you may not be thinking of, it that whatever 4k display you do get,
it may do the scaling to 4k better than what the Oppo can do, and if that is the case, then the other factors might be moot.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 12-11-2014 at 04:31 PM.
post #11999 of 13724 Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Turning off HDMI audio

The output of a DirecTV HD-DVR goes via HDMI to my Oppo 105. HDMI 2 from the Oppo goes to a Cary Cinema 11a. Since I introduced the C11a I sometimes lose audio when I pause or reverse a recorded program and need to switch to HDMI 2 and back to HDMI 1 to restore audio . Cary suggested I try coaxial from the DVR to the C11a or HDMI direct from the DVR to the C11a. It's easy to make the coaxial connection or to use an HDMI switch so the DVR and Oppo can share an HDMI input to the Cary -- a Sony XA5400ES uses the other HDMI input. If I use coaxial, is there a way to turn off HDMI audio from the remote or do I need to go into the menu?

db
post #12000 of 13724 Old 12-12-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^You have to go into the menu to turn off hdmi audio.
It isn't something most people would need to do on the fly. Usually a set it and forget it setting.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player