post #12031 of 12037 Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrowe View Post
Yeah, I suspect the remote fell between couch cushions and that volume button got repeatedly pressed into oblivion!

While we're talking about this, is there an optimum "best setting" for the volume?
Turn it up til your ears bleed. Then, back it off a little.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12032 of 12037 Old 12-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrowe View Post
. . . .
While we're talking about this, is there an optimum "best setting" for the volume?
If you are attached to a pre-amp or AVR with its own Volume control, then set the OPPO Volume to 100 (or "Fixed" in Setup, which will also prevent the "it fell in the sofa" problem).

Only back off from 100 if you discover that you are clipping the inputs of your pre-amp -- i.e., harshness in loud passages. Typically, you'll only have to back off a few dB to cure that. Each step of Volume below 100 is -0.5dB attenuation from full scale.

NOTE: Particularly when running Volume 100, it is best not to have any positive valued speaker volume level trims in Speaker Configuration. That small extra increase in volume for a speaker may be enough to clip the input of your pre-amp. Once you've found the correct level trims, if any are above 0, simply lower ALL of them by the same amount so that the biggest is 0 and the rest are negative values. Compensate by raising Volume in the pre-amp to get the desired listening level.

If you are attached to something that does NOT have its own Volume control, then of course set the OPPO Volume to a pleasing listening level. The Rule of Thumb is that if your Volume setting on the 105 or 105D is 70 or higher then you have a good match for direct connection to an amp like this. That's just guidance, and with a good deal of safety margin in that figure.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12033 of 12037 Old Today, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Simple question?

I'm considering using an Oppo 105D directly connected to my Bryston amps to replace an Esoteric DV-50 and Anthem AVM20. This could work out very well for Hi Rez disc playback (I think) with analog bass management (Outlaw Audio ICBM) given my quasi-ITU setup, full range speakers and good room. The issue is that my wife listens to JazzFM a lot. It is available on the internet, but I'm not sure how best to go about streaming it to the Oppo.
post #12034 of 12037 Old Today, 09:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 1007
^ Check to see if it is offered as a channel on ROKU. If so you can get a ROKU Streaming Stick from OPPO and plug it into the Front HDMI/MHL Input. You'll need Wifi networking that the ROKU stick can connect to. You control the stick using the normal OPPO remote for the player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12035 of 12037 Old Today, 09:46 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
I'm considering using an Oppo 105D directly connected to my Bryston amps to replace an Esoteric DV-50 and Anthem AVM20. This could work out very well for Hi Rez disc playback (I think) with analog bass management (Outlaw Audio ICBM) given my quasi-ITU setup, full range speakers and good room. The issue is that my wife listens to JazzFM a lot. It is available on the internet, but I'm not sure how best to go about streaming it to the Oppo.
You might be able to figure out a way to stream it via a DLNA server (I don't have a specific recommendation for one that will support JazzFM) or you could hook a PC up to one of the Oppo's HDMI, digital, or async USB inputs and play the sound from the PC via the Oppo.
post #12036 of 12037 Old Today, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
You're in luck. I discovered a uPnP app some time ago called Creation 5. It was quite buggy when it first released, and its "Rdio" feature, which has thousands of digital radio stations to choose from, wouldn't play nice with my 105. After undergoing quite a few recent revisions, the C5 app is more stabilized, and I can now play a number of the available digital radio stations on my Oppo player. Some stations still don't function, but JazzFM is functioning fine. Creation 5 runs on my iPad (iOS app). The app uses my DLNA server embedded on my Synology NAS to push available radio stations to my 105. The 105 is acting as a media renderer. Very nice. Creation 5 can also stream your digital audio to your 105. Currently, it can't stream DSD audio, but I've been requesting they offer it. We'll see. There's a free trial version of the app, but not sure if JazzFM is part of the free trial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	427426  
lanping09 likes this.
post #12037 of 12037 Old Today, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I stream from my iMac to my Oppo by using the USB out on the iMac to the USB in on the Oppo and use the Oppo DAC.
If you have a Mac, you go into the midi settings and select the Oppo as the output device and it should stream anything on your Mac.

As far as direct playback from the Oppo to the Bryston, i called Oppo about 2 weeks ago and asked about going direct from the Oppo to an amp, the tech guy said to try it, he said it may sound good, it may sound like crap, it depends on the amp. He also said "we have pre-amps"for a reason". So out of pure laziness, I used that as an excuse to not trying to go direct.

B&W 802 Diamonds | ASWCM12 sub | Rotel RSP-1572 pre-amp | Rotel RMB-1585 amp (bi-amping the 802 Diamonds) | Oppo BDP-105 | Samsung UN60H7150 | SurgeX QX515 Surge Suppressor/Power Conditioner | Audioquest Cinnamon HMDI, Ethernet, & USB A/B cables | Tributaries Type 6 Speaker Cables | Tributaries Series 6 Analog Interconnects | Acoustimac DMD-422 acoustic panels.

Last edited by KaliKid2013; Today at 07:34 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page