Forum Jump: 
 199Likes

post #12061 of 12084 Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Level settings

OK I think I'm going about this right but please let me know if you have suggestions for better settings. I have a 105D acting as player and pre amp for a 5.1 setup, xlr to the l/r channel amp and rca to the mid/surround amp, rca to sub.

Using the RCA outs as reference (0dB), the sub out is -10dB and the xlr outs are +6dB which all needs to be adjusted. Is it best to set the trim of the xlr outs to -6dB and turn the gain on the sub +10dB? At least, is this a good place to start at before taking measurements and making finer adjustments? Is there a difference in sound quality depending on where I adjust the gain for sub?

Thanks in advance!

Associated equip: emotiva xpa2/xpa3 amps, sunfire hrs-12 sub, infinity rs3b mains, rs5b surrounds, energy rclcr center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 12084 Old 12-22-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain322 View Post
OK I think I'm going about this right but please let me know if you have suggestions for better settings. I have a 105D acting as player and pre amp for a 5.1 setup, xlr to the l/r channel amp and rca to the mid/surround amp, rca to sub.

Using the RCA outs as reference (0dB), the sub out is -10dB and the xlr outs are +6dB which all needs to be adjusted. Is it best to set the trim of the xlr outs to -6dB and turn the gain on the sub +10dB? At least, is this a good place to start at before taking measurements and making finer adjustments? Is there a difference in sound quality depending on where I adjust the gain for sub?

Thanks in advance!

Associated equip: emotiva xpa2/xpa3 amps, sunfire hrs-12 sub, infinity rs3b mains, rs5b surrounds, energy rclcr center
Yes you are correct, and you want to avoid putting the channel trims in the "+" range if possible to avoid potential clipping.
So, adjust them to level the output from speaker to speaker while staying below -0-. (IE: -6 for the XLR L/R).
Try doing all of the sub calibration on the sub itself if possible.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #12063 of 12084 Old 12-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I respectfully suggest that if you are running HDMI connections for audio/video from your BD player . . there is no noticeable difference, so save yourself a bunch of money and go with the Sony & buy some extra favorite blu-rays to watch.
OK. I Havel revel f 208 fronts and am running them with an Emotiva xpa2.
Can I connect the oppo 105 directly to the stereo amp and run the rest of my system with my onkyo . Will that be a better sound than running it through the recievers pre outs.i watch a lot of movies but listen to a lot of classical music to too
post #12064 of 12084 Old 12-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
I have a Sony BDP-790 a BDP-7200 and an OPPO 105D what I can tell you infatically is the oppo is the best...but the the 790 and 7200 are very very good and if you aren't hooking up analog 7.1 or 2.0 outputs they will be a good choice because they do a great job with DSD and movie playback the load times are terrible though.
the 790 has a second HDMI output for audio only and the 7200 has dual processors with very good DACS ....but the oppo is hands down the best...you have to decide if it's worth spending 4xs the amount of Sony to get the best and I would only do it if you plan on using the XLR outs from the Oppo or its 7.1 analog outs for your surround processor and love SACD Multi and Stereo as I do.
I know the oppo is a better unit build wise and "weighs" more than a Sony 790 but my question has still not been answered. Does the oppo actually sounded better for two channel listening . I what way? Can you use the analog outs with an he I out for the other channels for movies.
post #12065 of 12084 Old 12-23-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 99
All of the Oppo's outputs are active so you can connect it multiple ways simultaneously and control switching via your AVR or preamp. The analog outs may or may not sound better. Since we are talking the 105x, I would guess that the sound would definitely be better but it ultimately depends on your overall system. If you're in the U.S., Oppo has a 30-day trial period and you could try one out. The only cost if you don't like it would be return shipping.

post #12066 of 12084 Old 12-23-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
All of the Oppo's outputs are active so you can connect it multiple ways simultaneously and control switching via your AVR or preamp. The analog outs may or may not sound better. Since we are talking the 105x, I would guess that the sound would definitely be better but it ultimately depends on your overall system. If you're in the U.S., Oppo has a 30-day trial period and you could try one out. The only cost if you don't like it would be return shipping.
Thanks . I really don't want to spend 1400$ on something that maybe will sound better. However I do love my classical music and would do so. How about the video. Does it look notacibly better. I have a very nice JVC projector that is great IMO. I just got the Revel f208 and really like them.
post #12067 of 12084 Old 12-23-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteff View Post
Thanks . I really don't want to spend 1400$ on something that maybe will sound better. However I do love my classical music and would do so. How about the video. Does it look notacibly better. I have a very nice JVC projector that is great IMO. I just got the Revel f208 and really like them.
Based on your questions I really think you need to audition the Oppo, and if possible in your own setup. No offense, but your questions are quite open to interpretation as one person's good is not necessarily another's. As was mentioned before, take Oppo up on the 30 day policy and find out. They are solidly built, great universal players. I have the 105D and am very happy.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12068 of 12084 Old 12-23-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Based on your questions I really think you need to audition the Oppo, and if possible in your own setup. No offense, but your questions are quite open to interpretation as one person's good is not necessarily another's. As was mentioned before, take Oppo up on the 30 day policy and find out. They are solidly built, great universal players. I have the 105D and am very happy.
Thank you. I will try it . I really like what I read about them but you are right I really need to try it in May own setting.
post #12069 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Bitstream or LPCM

Absent a center channel there was no dialog from a DTS-HD MA sound track when the HDMI output of the Oppo 105 was set to bitstream. Setting the output to LPCM restored dialog. With bitstream is a processor unable to parse the center channel to front RL? I presume it's related to absence of speaker management with DSD.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #12070 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Absent a center channel there was no dialog from a DTS-HD MA sound track when the HDMI output of the Oppo 105 was set to bitstream. Setting the output to LPCM restored dialog. With bitstream is a processor unable to parse the center channel to front RL? I presume it's related to absence of speaker management with DSD.

db
If you were sending HDMI DSD to your processor (i.e., playing an SACD disc with SACD Output DSD set in the OPPO), and had the processor set to do DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, then yes, it is highly likely the processor can NOT down-mix while doing that. Such processing is done digitally using LPCM digital audio, and you've bypassed the conversion to LPCM both in the OPPO and in the processor.

If you were instead sending HDMI DTS-HD MA Bitstream to your processor (which is different from DSD), the processor SHOULD have been able to create a "phantom center" for you -- steering Center content to both Left Front and Right Front. You'll need to check the limitations of your processor in the owner's thread here for your processor. It may be for example that the processor can do that for a 48KHz track, but not for a 96KHz or 192KHz track. There may also be settings in your processor which disable its down-mixing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 08:07 AM.
post #12071 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Getting very confused about this and couldn't find the exact same problem elsewhere. My problem is that the oppo has taken over - the audio and picture are so much better than my other equipment I can't resist putting everything through it. I care quite a lot more about music quality that movie playback so I have done the following with inevitable confusions:

oppo XLR direct into power amp for left and right and all music, usb, cd and other basically music formats.
oppo into Yamaha r2067 AV amp through hdmi for centre and surround related things like blu ray. The problem is, as you will know this leads to unsynchronised sound when I playback movies. I guess I need to delay the oppo somehow (but I need to delay both left right and the picture as well I guess so that the surround stuff is in sync. Ultimately Id probably buy a three channel power amp but for now what's the best solution with my existing kit?

Sorry if this is massively obvious but it has confused me no end!

Graham
post #12072 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 70
gandt154: Setup Menu > Audio Processing > A/V Sync.
post #12073 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

There's nothing you can do in the player itself to alter the timing for just the HDMI audio or just the Analog audio.

Odds are your AVR is adding delay to the HDMI audio coming into it to compensate for its own video processing time or in response to a requested delay asked by the TV.

Look for an auto lip sync setting in the AVR and turn that off. Also try setting the AVR to "HDMI pass through", so it knows it should not process the video itself.

If those don't fix it, this mixed Analog/HDMI audio configuration probably can't be made to work.
--Bob
post #12074 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

I'm using my 105 as a pre/pro connected to a Samsung 75" 4k display. I have the OPPO's resolution set on 4Kx2K and the 4Kx2K's output set to "Forced". The TV's menu shows it is receiving a 3840 x 2160 resolution, its native resolution. Is the OPPO up scaling resolutions less then 4K? The picture quality is very good.
post #12075 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Yes.
--Bob
post #12076 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

Thanks, again, Bob. Switching back and forth I'd say the OPPO does a better job of up scaling then the TV.

Last edited by elphillips; Yesterday at 11:37 AM.
post #12077 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post
I'm using my 105 as a pre/pro connected to a Samsung 75" 4k display. I have the OPPO's resolution set on 4Kx2K and the 4Kx2K's output set to "Forced". The TV's menu shows it is receiving a 3840 x 2160 resolution, its native resolution. Is the OPPO up scaling resolutions less then 4K? The picture quality is very good.
All 4K TVs and the Oppo resolution are not truly 4K but are double the 1920x1080 of HDTV. That means they are all 3840x2160. True 4K is reserved for movie theater systems and is not a home system.

post #12078 of 12084 Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 189
^ Thank you party pooper Merry Christmas!

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #12079 of 12084 Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pearce View Post
I'm considering using an Oppo 105D directly connected to my Bryston amps to replace an Esoteric DV-50 and Anthem AVM20. This could work out very well for Hi Rez disc playback (I think) with analog bass management (Outlaw Audio ICBM) given my quasi-ITU setup, full range speakers and good room. The issue is that my wife listens to JazzFM a lot. It is available on the internet, but I'm not sure how best to go about streaming it to the Oppo.
hdmi from laptop

bam

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12080 of 12084 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
As far as direct playback from the Oppo to the Bryston, i called Oppo about 2 weeks ago and asked about going direct from the Oppo to an amp, the tech guy said to try it, he said it may sound good, it may sound like crap, it depends on the amp. He also said "we have pre-amps"for a reason".

makes sense to me

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12081 of 12084 Old Today, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oppo gives you a 30-day trial. If it doesn't work for you, you pay only return shipping. You could try the Oppo and, if it works for you, then get rid of your other gear.
as it is not marketed nor recommended as a pre, is it fair to reject it at oppo's expense for this reason?

post #12082 of 12084 Old Today, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
as it is not marketed nor recommended as a pre, is it fair to reject it at oppo's expense for this reason?
Not necessarily. They don't market it as a pre-amp because it has limited connections, connection types and is not compatible with all amps. It works well, within its limitations, for a lot of people but not so well for others. The only way to know whether it is suitable to your system and needs is to try it out in your system.

post #12083 of 12084 Old Today, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not necessarily. They don't market it as a pre-amp because it has limited connections, connection types and is not compatible with all amps. It works well, within its limitations, for a lot of people but not so well for others. The only way to know whether it is suitable to your system and needs is to try it out in your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliKid2013 View Post
As far as direct playback from the Oppo to the Bryston, i called Oppo about 2 weeks ago and asked about going direct from the Oppo to an amp, the tech guy said to try it, he said it may sound good, it may sound like crap, it depends on the amp. He also said "we have pre-amps"for a reason".

anyway, that's just me

happy holiday

post #12084 of 12084 Old Today, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Digital Input Help...

I have a Sonos “Connect” that I have connected to my105’s digital in. I am running my 105 asa pre/pro to my Rotel amps. I do noticethat I have to turn the volume on both the Sonos and Oppo all the way up to getdecent volume. Playing bluerays I don’thave any problem with volume at all. Isthis a limitation of the 105 being used as a pre/pro vs an actual pre/pro or isthere a setting that will boost my volume for my digital inputs? Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player