Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 406 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 270Likes

post #12151 of 12516 Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoattilathehun View Post
Hello. I just wired in my new BDP-105 a couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to work except that I cannot get test tones. CDs, DVDs, BluRays, and SACDs all play just fine, but no test tones. The screen says test tone "on" (or off, when I toggle), but there is no sound. I checked with OPPO support and was told that I either must have a headphone connected to the headphone output (I don't) or I am using a digital output connection.

I am running the Oppo direct to amp (5.0) via dedicated stereo RCA outputs (plus center and surround outputs). Relevant settings are SACD multichannel, Secondary Audio off, HDMI audio off, coax/optical Bitstream (but nothing connected), SACD PCM, Speaker configuration: Front Left & Right: Large, 0 trim; Center and rears: small 0 trim; Subwoofer off; Down Mix: 5.1; Crossover 110hz; Stereo Signal: Down-mixed stereo. I am feeding the dedicated stereo outputs to a subwoofer, using the subwoofer crossover to feed the main front speakers. My only digital output connection is HDMI 1 to the TV. As suggested by Oppo, I upgraded Firmware to BDP10X-77-0827.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
The highlighted setting above is your problem. Selecting Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO means the Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R output pairs (both the RCA and the XLR pair) operate independently of the Speaker Configuration controls that adjust the multi-channel Analog outputs.

That includes Volume Trims and the Test Tones.

Instead, set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. Wire your choice of the Dedicated L/R pairs and also the remaining speaker connections from the multi-channel set. The Dedicated L/R pair will now respond to all the Speaker Configuration settings (including Crossover) which normally affect the Left Front / Right Front pair from the multi-channel Analog set.

Also note that in a 5.1 speaker configuration your pair of Surround speakers should be connected to the SIDE Surround outputs of the player, regardless of how far back you have them physically located. If you have them connected to the REAR Surround outputs and are trying to get Test Tones to play when you select the Side speakers in Speaker Configuration, then of course that won't work either.

Once you've corrected the above, to get a test tone to play:

1) Remove any disc and make sure you are not playing content from an Internet app or media file (attached or over the network). Also make sure the Input setting of the player is set to Blu-ray Player -- i.e., that Home Menu is showing when you are not doing anything.

2) Go into Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration, scroll around to Test Tones and turn them ON. Then scroll to each speaker in turn to select the Test Tone for that speaker. Only speakers that are enabled will have a Test tone.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-03-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12152 of 12516 Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The highlighted setting above is your problem. Selecting Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO means the Dedicated Stereo Analog L/R output pairs (both the RCA and the XLR pair) operate independently of the Speaker Configuration controls that adjust the multi-channel Analog outputs.

That includes Volume Trims and the Test Tones.

Instead, set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. Wire your choice of the Dedicated L/R pairs and also the remaining speaker connections from the multi-channel set. The Dedicated L/R pair will now respond to all the Speaker Configuration settings (including Crossover) which normally affect the Left Front / Right Front pair from the multi-channel Analog set.

Also note that in a 5.1 speaker configuration your pair of Surround speakers should be connected to the SIDE Surround outputs of the player, regardless of how far back you have them physically located. If you have them connected to the REAR Surround outputs and are trying to get Test Tones to play when you select the Side speakers in Speaker Configuration, then of course that won't work either.

Once you've corrected the above, to get a test tone to play:

1) Remove any disc and make sure you are not playing content from an Internet app or media file (attached or over the network). Also make sure the Input setting of the player is set to Blu-ray Player -- i.e., that Home Menu is showing when you are not doing anything.

2) Go into Setup > Audio Processing > Speaker Configuration, scroll around to Test Tones and turn them ON. Then scroll to each speaker in turn to select the Test Tone for that speaker. Only speakers that are enabled will have a Test tone.
--Bob
YES THAT DID IT. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
post #12153 of 12516 Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I sure hope Oppo is paying into Bob's 401K because he sure deserves it. 😀
Smarty-pants, Mongo171 and jxz2000 like this.
post #12154 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 01:03 PM

Yeah for Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I sure hope Oppo is paying into Bob's 401K because he sure deserves it. 😀
Right on! I let Oppo support know that Bob on AVS forum was able to solve my test tone problem. I said it in a way that was not overly snarky but made the point that Bob was able to fix what Oppo support was not.
post #12155 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoattilathehun View Post
Right on! I let Oppo support know that Bob on AVS forum was able to solve my test tone problem. I said it in a way that was not overly snarky but made the point that Bob was able to fix what Oppo support was not.
Bob (along with some others in this thread) is actually a Beta Testers. That means they get the product before we do and have extreme knowledge of the field in the equipment they are testing. OPPO support is nothing to sneeze at. 99% of the time, Bob or another Beta Tester can fix the problem.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #12156 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Front HDMI input problem

My front HDMI input has 2 problems. With an XFinity cablebox, I get video, but no sound. With Chromecast, I get the white "chromecast" text briefly as it's booting, then nothing (so I know the video connection is working). Both work fine through the rear HDMI input.

I have searched high and low and gone 'round and 'round with Oppo support, but can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

Help! At this point, my only option seems to buy an external powered switcher and feed those into the rear connector.

Thanks
post #12157 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 213
^ Hmm, that seems odd. Especially with the cable box.
I don't have either one of your devices, but I have the Roku MHL stick, and it works perfectly in the front MHL port.
Assuming there isn't some other issue, it sounds to me like your hardware may be broken and need repaired.

A couple more things to try would be...
Make sure you have the very latest firmware installed, and even if you do, try re-installing it via USB or CD method.
This could help resolve the possibility of a partially corrupt firmware installation.
After that, do a full reset to factory default settings and power cycle the player.

All of that may be a pita to do, but if there is something corrupt in the software/firmware, it could fix the issue before
possibly sending it in to Oppo for repair.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #12158 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quick question....Have a Samsung 75" 4K TV but with only 1 HDMI cable running to the TV. If I wanted to watch a DVD I would physically have to remove the HDMI cable from the cable box to the Oppo 105d. PITA for sure. Just added a Paradigm Soundscape Soundbar and it sounds awesome when I have the HDMI out from the cable box.

I now have the cable box out HDMI out into Oppo105d and then the lone HDMI cable running the the TV. Now I can watch TV or a BR without having to switch the HDMI cable.

But....I swear the audio now out of the sound bar sounds very different now that it is running through the Oppo. Seemed to be louder (checked volume on Oppo and it's 100%) and had a bit more life when the HDMI was coming out of cable box to tv.

Could the Oppo be adding extra processing of something to the sound?

Thanks.
post #12159 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I'm currently having trouble with my Oppo 105 feeding my sub via the XO.

I as many times before am running sweeps with REW via the USB input with my laptop. I noticed that the subwoofer is not engaging even though I have properly set up the options. I have the subwoofer on, the speakers set to small, and the stereo signal set to "down-mixed stereo." I connected the fronts via the XLR outputs. The subwoofer is connected properly because during movies the subs engage fine. However, when feeding a stereo signal via the USB input, it does not divert the lower frequencies to the subwoofer. I have also tested this by running sweeps from 20-200hz and playing low frequency sine waves, i.e. 40 hz. I have played with the crossover by setting it very high, i.e. 150 hz and the subwoofer is still not engaged via music or via REW. The crossover has no effect via my experiments with REW on the USB input. I have not tried another input, because I don't have a source for those other inputs.

I wanted to stop short of factory resetting the Oppo before I get some advice. (don't want to reprogram all the settings).
post #12160 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Now I'm just confused, both down-mixed and front left/right option for stereo signal both engage the sub but with differing results?
post #12161 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Nevermind, talked to Oppo CS and they informed me that there is no bass management on the USB input. All other inputs utilize bass management. Set the stereo signal to Front left/right and everything works fine.
post #12162 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Figured out my issue as well. It was down mixing to 7.1.

All is good!
post #12163 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 View Post
I'm currently having trouble with my Oppo 105 feeding my sub via the XO.

I wanted to stop short of factory resetting the Oppo before I get some advice. (don't want to reprogram all the settings).
I'm pretty sure that the Save Settings functionality will address that situation.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #12164 of 12516 Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424x View Post
My front HDMI input has 2 problems. With an XFinity cablebox, I get video, but no sound. With Chromecast, I get the white "chromecast" text briefly as it's booting, then nothing (so I know the video connection is working). Both work fine through the rear HDMI input.

I have searched high and low and gone 'round and 'round with Oppo support, but can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem.

Help! At this point, my only option seems to buy an external powered switcher and feed those into the rear connector.

Thanks
Sounds like your 105 needs warranty service.

Try setting the cable box to output 480p only (not 480i). 480p is the "simplest" HDMI signal. Test via the rear HDMI input to make sure what you've done is working as expected (use the Info button on the OPPO remote to confirm what's coming in), then test with the front HDMI input. Use a non-premium channel for testing as they won't be copy protected. (We are keeping things simple.)

If this works via the rear Input but not via the front Input (same cable in both cases), then I'd say the player needs service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12165 of 12516 Old 01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello? Anyone home???

I think I got a new one. I have the IR extender from OPPO. It works when it's plugged in. However, when I use the USB connector on it in the OPPO Rear USB Port, I can't turn the unit On. Every other button on the remote works. I just can't turn on my OPPO?

Ideas?

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #12166 of 12516 Old 01-06-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Hello? Anyone home???

I think I got a new one. I have the IR extender from OPPO. It works when it's plugged in. However, when I use the USB connector on it in the OPPO Rear USB Port, I can't turn the unit On. Every other button on the remote works. I just can't turn on my OPPO?

Ideas?
Which power-off mode do you have it in?

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #12167 of 12516 Old 01-06-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Which power-off mode do you have it in?
Energy Efficient.

post #12168 of 12516 Old 01-06-2015, 06:13 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Energy Efficient.
Which shuts off power to the USB ports... I'd suggest using the USB power adapter that comes with the IR extender kit to power the IR extender. Or switch the player to Quick Start mode, which might keep the USB power on (I'm not 100% sure of that).
post #12169 of 12516 Old 01-06-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Which shuts off power to the USB ports... I'd suggest using the USB power adapter that comes with the IR extender kit to power the IR extender. Or switch the player to Quick Start mode, which might keep the USB power on (I'm not 100% sure of that).
Thanks, gsr. Never thought of the USB port being turned off. Duh!

post #12170 of 12516 Old 01-06-2015, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Flac

Hi, I have the BDP-105. If I hook up a hard drive full of music ripped in FLAC can I hook that up to the USB on the OPPO and it be able to play FLAC files or does it just do MP3? Does it support ALAC from iTunes?

Just wondering how user friendly it is regarding various music files.

Out of all the USB inputs available on the OPPO which one would you recommend hooking up the hard drive to, so that it uses the DAC's in the OPPO for playback. If I want to use one USB for the hard drive and another for an Apple TV box are there 2 USB's that are considered the best for music playback.

I sure do appreciate any help from you good folks and sorry for being so lazy to ask. I was just offered a large music collection on a hard drive, I was just planning on using the Apple TV box. I so hope OPPO likes FLAC

I'm recovering from setting up a whole home Router/Hard Drive/Server - The Apple Time Machine
Just upgraded from 6mbps DSL to 50 mbps Cable = Awesome - Had to set up new modem.
Just set up new TV
Just Got a PONO and figuring out the PONO website and got it set up and bought/downloaded and played my first 192/24 HD files and I'm in love.

So my 49 year old red neck brain is about to explode, that's why I just asked these questions about the OPPO, sorry about taking the short cut :-)

Thanks !!!
post #12171 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamawoody View Post
Hi, I have the BDP-105. If I hook up a hard drive full of music ripped in FLAC can I hook that up to the USB on the OPPO and it be able to play FLAC files or does it just do MP3? Does it support ALAC from iTunes?

First thing, have a look at the FAQ: Media Files

The USB inputs for hard drives are the same in quality. There is a different, square-shaped USB port on the back for a computer interface.

All audio produced by the player's analog outputs uses it's DACs. HDMI, optical and coax outputs do not. (This is "by definition").

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #12172 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamawoody View Post
Hi, I have the BDP-105. If I hook up a hard drive full of music ripped in FLAC can I hook that up to the USB on the OPPO and it be able to play FLAC files?

YES

Does it support ALAC from iTunes?

Don't know

Plays a LOT of them!!

Out of all the USB inputs available on the OPPO which one would you recommend hooking up the hard drive to, so that it uses the DAC's in the OPPO for playback.

There is an "Asynchronous" USB input in the back .
The other two definitely support USB sticks and HDD's

If I want to use one USB for the hard drive and another for an Apple TV box are there 2 USB's that are considered the best for music playback.

See above

I sure do appreciate any help from you good folks and sorry for being so lazy to ask. I was just offered a large music collection on a hard drive, I was just planning on using the Apple TV box. I so hope OPPO likes FLAC

FLAC is NOT a problem!!

Thanks !!!

Your Welcome,
Sorry I couldn't go into more detail about "ALAC" and the "asynchronous" USB input.

I am sure BOB Pariseau will!!!!

Cheers
post #12173 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys. Is anyone concerned about the fact that the player only has 100Mbps ethernet? I really wish they would have thrown in Gigabit ethernet. I have had some issues streaming bluray rips through SMB shares.
post #12174 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 08:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpenney View Post
Hi guys. Is anyone concerned about the fact that the player only has 100Mbps ethernet? I really wish they would have thrown in Gigabit ethernet. I have had some issues streaming bluray rips through SMB shares.
Welcome to AVSForum.

Wired ethernet is not the bottleneck there. It has plenty of bandwidth for BR copies. You might look at your server or the router.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #12175 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 08:53 AM

OK. I am just using a 5 year old Windows 7 PC as a server. And Rogers gigabit home router.
Is there a better (faster) to "serve" the files?
post #12176 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpenney View Post
OK. I am just using a 5 year old Windows 7 PC as a server. And Rogers gigabit home router.
Is there a better (faster) to "serve" the files?
If you are using Gigabit gear and still having throughput problems the cause may be that you have failed to enable "flow control" in that gear.

What happens is that the faster gear overruns the 100Mbps gear, causing resends which clobber throughput. One common symptom is that things work OK if you switch to Wifi! That's because Wifi enforces "flow control".

If the speed problem is in the server there are lots of possible causes, including fragmented disc drives, and other software running in the background chewing up performance.

100Mbps Ethernet is plenty fast for streaming the types of files the OPPO can play.
--Bob
post #12177 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 09:56 AM

One more quick question. Would I get better sound quality by having an inexpensive preamp (Nikko BetaII) in the mix and having the oppo volume at 100, or by ditching the pre and just hooking straight into my power amp (Emotiva XPA-5). The problem is without the preamp, i cannot turn the oppo volume up too high, and I read somewhere it is best to have the oppo volume at 100.
post #12178 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

What's your normal listening level? If it is above 70 don't worry about it. If it is below 30 consider a pre-amp or just some in line attenuators.
--Bob
post #12179 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
What's your normal listening level? If it is above 70 don't worry about it. If it is below 30 consider a pre-amp or just some in line attenuators.
--Bob
With xlr it is below 30. with rca it is higher. I did buy some CHEAP xlr attenuaters. Meh, I guess i will just have to do some more experimenting. Thx again.
post #12180 of 12516 Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

gsr,

After some unscientific experimentation, I found out that with Quick Start enabled, both USB ports in the rear are not turned on. So, I went back to the AC adapter and Energy Efficient mode.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page