Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 409 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 303Likes

post #12241 of 12702 Old 01-16-2015, 01:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dumb question - can someone help me with this situation: (Have Anthem d2v3d) would like to get Oppo BDP105D -

1. Issue is I read on this board that the Oppo 105D has better video processing than the Anthem processor - so Is there a way on the Anthem processor to disable video processing and allow the oppo 105D passthrough using the oppo scaling? Or I have to have anthem process the signal from the oppo?

2. I read that Oppo can output a video signal via HDMI directly to TV and then output the audio signal to second HDMI on processor - is this correct?

What is better way to go here? I would like to utilize the Anthem's HDMI switching instead of having to use my TV input to select between Processor and Oppo for signal - but can you use the Anthem Processor's switching without initiating video processing of the signal?

thanks for any guidance as it will help me decide to pull the trigger on the oppo 105D. One other issue is I read that oppo is releasing some new players this year since Panasonic released its first 4k player. Sounds like waiting might be the best thing to do. Thoughts?

thanks
Conrad

Last edited by JDCaduceus; 01-16-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12242 of 12702 Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCaduceus View Post
Dumb question - can someone help me with this situation: (Have Anthem d2v3d) would like to get Oppo BDP105D -

1. Issue is I read on this board that the Oppo 105D has better video processing than the Anthem processor - so Is there a way on the Anthem processor to disable video processing and allow the oppo 105D passthrough using the oppo scaling? Or I have to have anthem process the signal from the oppo?

2. I read that Oppo can output a video signal via HDMI directly to TV and then output the audio signal to second HDMI on processor - is this correct?

What is better way to go here? I would like to utilize the Anthem's HDMI switching instead of having to use my TV input to select between Processor and Oppo for signal - but can you use the Anthem Processor's switching without initiating video processing of the signal?

thanks for any guidance as it will help me decide to pull the trigger on the oppo 105D. One other issue is I read that oppo is releasing some new players this year since Panasonic released its first 4k player. Sounds like waiting might be the best thing to do. Thoughts?

thanks
Conrad
#2 Is exactly what I (and many others do) HDMI 1 goes directly to the display and HDMI 2 goes to your processor for Audio.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12243 of 12702 Old 01-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCaduceus View Post

thanks
Conrad
The D2v/3D offers "THROUGH" as a Video Configuration choice for its HDMI Inputs 1-4.

That said, if you have the OPPO sending 1080p to the D2v/3D, and have the default Picture settings set in the D2v/3D, it won't be doing any video processing anyway. There's no work for it to do.

There's a thread devoted to D2v/3D "tweaking" in the Receivers, Processors, Amps forum here, so details on how to configure the Anthem would probably best be asked there.

The 105D can upscale output to 4K. If you want to use 4K video you'll have to use you cabling choice #2 , as the Anthem does not pass 4K video. That will work fine, too. HDMI 1 from the OPPO to your TV and HDMI 2 from the OPPO to the Anthem for audio.

At this point, there is no info on when OPPO might make a native, 4K player. Best guess is not this year.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12244 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Bob

I can just run HDMI out of my cable box and into the 105 HDMI in, correct?

Then send the HDMI out to the TV. ?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12245 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Yes. To take best advantage of the video processing in the OPPO, set the cable box to "native" resolution output, so it sends out the same resolution as is coming in for each program. Expect an HDMI handshake each time you change between channels at different resolutions.
--Bob
eljr likes this.
post #12246 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes. To take best advantage of the video processing in the OPPO, set the cable box to "native" resolution output, so it sends out the same resolution as is coming in for each program. Expect an HDMI handshake each time you change between channels at different resolutions.
--Bob
if I want to bypass the oppo processing for watching the news and the like I can't though, correct?

the unit must be on, it does not work as a bypass if not turned on

correct?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12247 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
if I want to bypass the oppo processing for watching the news and the like I can't though, correct?

the unit must be on, it does not work as a bypass if not turned on

correct?
The unit must be ON. There is no HDMI "pass through" in stand-by.

Which processing were you thinking of disabling? If you have a modern, digital TV, the video you are watching gets scaled and de-interlaced (as necessary) at some point ANYWAY. It is either done in the cable TV box (i.e., when you set fixed, 1080p output from that box), or in the OPPO, or in your TV itself. If you are cabled through the OPPO, you might as well let the OPPO do that work.
--Bob
eljr likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12248 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The unit must be ON. There is no HDMI "pass through" in stand-by.

Which processing were you thinking of disabling? If you have a modern, digital TV, the video you are watching gets scaled and de-interlaced (as necessary) at some point ANYWAY. It is either done in the cable TV box (i.e., when you set fixed, 1080p output from that box), or in the OPPO, or in your TV itself. If you are cabled through the OPPO, you might as well let the OPPO do that work.
--Bob
so I can run hdmi from the cable box to the oppo and then out to the TV hdmi in for sports and movies....

and also

send component digital from the cable box to the TV for the news and "junk viewing"

this way I don't need turn on the Oppo for the junk viewing

that's what I though but before I move everything I wanted to verify

thanks bob

post #12249 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Sure, you can do that. Note that Component Video is not Digital. It is Analog. The digital video broadcast signal coming in on the cable is converted to Analog for output in the cable box, using the video DACs in the cable box.

I suggest you do some comparison of your "junk viewing" through the OPPO vs. that direct, Component Video connection. Most cable boxes have godawful Analog video output stages, which means their Component Video output is not nearly as good as it could be.
--Bob
scirica likes this.

post #12250 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 100
The following press note was released last fall:

4K Blu-ray is officially on the way. According to Victor Matsuda, Chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association Global Promotions Committee, the BDA expects the specs for 4K Blu-ray to be finalized in the first half of 2015, paving the way for commercial availability by the end of the year. This means we can expect to see actual 4K Blu-ray movies and players available in stores by Christmas next year.

Apart from the jump to 4K resolution (3840 × 2160p) we can also expect 4K Blu-ray to support higher frame rates (up to 60fps), an expanded color gamut along with high dynamic range (HDR), as well as HEVC/H.265 encoding to compress 4K movies more efficiently and allow for higher bit rates. The group is currently exploring the possibility of increasing the disc capacity to 66GB or 100GB.

This means Oppo won't have time to release a player this year, so probably they'll show a prototype next year at CES 2016 at the earliest.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #12251 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi everybody...
I have question about bass response from MCH out from oppo.
It just isnt so loud and tight as from my prepro.I did increase level on the sub itself,but now i have to attenuate it on bryston pre/sp1.7/as much as -10db,which is max it can do.Even on this setting bass is much better,fuller comparing to oppo.My spl meter is shoving the same db on prepro and oppo,but during movies or music it seems much louder,cleaner and tighter.

I wouldnt really care much,but bryston doesnt have lossless decoding,only DD,DTS.

Any ideas?
post #12252 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 1462
You'll have to use a good audio test disc, and a SPL meter to calibrate all eight channels (analog multichannel 7.1 out) from your Oppo 105 player.
And you don't want to start with the gain on your subwoofer itself too high (I suggest something between 9 and 10 o'clock).

It's a balancing art to do a good manual calibration that way.

And! Don't sweat it if the overall volume level is less than in your Bryston pre/pro using the digital connection. ...It's quite normal.
post #12253 of 12702 Old 01-17-2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You'll have to use a good audio test disc, and a SPL meter to calibrate all eight channels (analog multichannel 7.1 out) from your Oppo 105 player.
And you don't want to start with the gain on your subwoofer itself too high (I suggest something between 9 and 10 o'clock).

It's a balancing art to do a good manual calibration that way.

And! Don't sweat it if the overall volume level is less than in your Bryston pre/pro using the digital connection. ...It's quite normal.
That is exactly what i did,calibration disc,spl meter,volume at 9-10,but still,bass too weak.
And volume on all channels are calibrated to the same level..subwoofers too,either on oppo or bryston.there is no diff.in overall volume,just on sub.channel.

Again,sub is calibrated to the same
level,but it just doesnt sound good,seems much quieter,weak.

Thanks for reply..

Last edited by misko72; 01-18-2015 at 12:20 AM.
post #12254 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 12:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 219
^ Are you using any crossover settings in the player itself, and also in the pre-amp?
All crossover hardware are different, and it could be that the crossover settings between the two are set differently,
and even if they are set the same, "frequency roll off" could be quite different.
It may be worth playing around with the crossover settings to see if that does or doesn't help.
Personally though, I use the BDP-105D connected directly to power amps and subwoofer and don't notice any lack of sub output with crossover set to 80HZ.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #12255 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Your Bryston pre/pro; what kind of control(s) do you have over its multichannel analog input? ...Channel levels? ...Sub channel level? ...Sub trim?
post #12256 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 01:01 AM

Ok,i try to answer to both of you guys..
Oppo is connected via digital and mch.outs,when using digital bryston is doing decoding,when mch out is in use,oppo is decoding,no mixing bass management,i am aware of the mess it can produce.So no processing on inputs.
Its either one doing decoding,never both of them.
Sub crossover is disabled too.
Tryed lower/increase fq.not better.
post #12257 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I replied two long posts but I deleted them both by accident. ...@ least 40 minutes lost forever.

Anyway, it is the multichannel analog connection that does not give you a satisfying sub level.
Same here; from my Oppo 103 to my Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pro. ...The Oppo 103 has limited bass management for its analog multichannel Out, and no Audyssey MultEQ XT32.
So I prefer the HDMI connection in my case.

But you have a better player with better sound from its multichannel analog Out, the 105 BD player.
I don't really know what to tell you because in my case I hate the multich. analog sound of my 103; it is dull, boring, dead, without life, ...

I experimented with all type of connections, even the digital Coax. one is still connected.
I would have bought the 105 but I mainly use the HDMI connection.
And my next pre/pro (Dolby Atmos and dts:x, and Auro-3D) would most likely be an affordable Marantz pre/pro, or some like that (less than four grands; I am very poor).
I don't have thirty grands for a pre/pro, then another $150,000 for the speakers and room.

HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 is on my agenda too. ...So is 4K, still 3D, and I'm not sure when I'll plug back one of my turntables, if...

The best I can tell you right now, is to experiment but you already did.

Let see what other members have to say now.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-18-2015 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
post #12258 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The Bryston SP1.7 pre/pro; time to upgrade soon?

Let see what Mr. Bob Pariseau can say regarding the analog Subwoofer channel Out of the Oppo 105 going to your Bryston pre/pro.
...So that you can benefit of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding from inside.
I understand your situation @ 100%.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-18-2015 at 02:02 AM.
post #12259 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The Bryston SP1.7 pre/pro; time to upgrade soon?
Thanks for advice..
Well,i just did upgrade to oppo just because mch.outputs and lossless decoding...but i may have made a mistake..actually downgraded if using 5.1 instead of digital.
And about sound being dull and lifeless-in my case sound is very good and enveloping,very good separation between channels,except Lfe channel,it is just weak....
For example when there are explosions,it sound just fine,but these rumblings and roars are just almost inaudible.When switched between pre and player during movies it is very obvious.
Maybe its not that good player as i thought it would be...
post #12260 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My multichannel analog sound is very dull because I'm used to better digital bass management and also because of Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

You have both a better player and pre/pro for multichannel analog sound; you just need that Subwoofer channel level in harmony with the rest, that's all.
But it's a big all, because it is the most important channel in your overall room sound projection. ...Then the center channel.

Try this:
Change the phase on your subwoofer; a 180 degree opposite.
post #12261 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 02:27 AM

Try this:
Change the phase on your subwoofer; a 180 degree opposite.[/QUOTE]

Did it already,no result...
post #12262 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought of that. ...That you actually did try before.

Here's the thing: The toughest act to balance in your room is the Bass. And the Oppo 105 doesn't do that. ...It does not EQ your subwoofers.
...For that you would need a sub(s) with integrated DSP parametric equalization. ...Or a pre/pro with its own EQ system.
Bryston's philosophy is just the opposite; EQ your room with acoustical treatments, and not your speakers.
{Bryston doesn't use any Room Cal. and EQ system in their pre/pros.}
People buy their speakers for the sound quality, usually, and Bryston respect that.

Me, if I was you, and that movies are important to me in my home theater room (they actually are), I would get DSP EQ.
Because the low bass (subwoofer & all) from 10Hz to 250Hz is the toughest region of the full audio spectrum to properly balance in any room.
There are usually modals @ 30Hz, 60Hz, 125Hz, 180Hz, 240Hz that need correction. ...And without a good EQ system it's very hard to adjust; read quasi impossible. Even a separate Sub EQ would help you a great deal; the parametric variety.

Also, you are in the analog domain, and most best EQs use digital processing.

Your Bryston SP1.7 is over ten years old; it is an analog pre/pro. ...For the analog audiophile purists. ...Not for the home theater aficionados of today with multiple subwoofers who need digital equalization. That, is what I truly think. ...Today everything is digital HDMI (audio, and video).

The Oppo 105 is for the analog purists, and also for the digital home theater aficionados. Your Bryston SP1.7 is for the analog audiophiles, without any DSP of any sort.

* Try to find a used Subwoofer parametric EQ that you can integrate between your Oppo and Bryston. ...For that quality/level bass you are looking for.
eljr likes this.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-18-2015 at 11:04 AM.
post #12263 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM

I do have parametric eq.built in subwoofer and is in use...i had big peak around 20hz which is pretty much gone now..
My room is well treated with absorbers,corner chunk bass traps,..i paid good amount of time with placing sub in my room,.
So for me i dont care much about extensive digital eq.
I can understand that bryston philosophy might seem different by today standards,but oppo is just everything home theater aficionados would ever want.
Then how come 10 years old bryston is performing much better Lfe management,comparing to top player today.
I have bought it just because of dts hd ma and dd true hd,.
Maybe there is solution to this....
post #12264 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the solution is to mix and match new (Oppo 105) with new (2014-15 pre/pro). ...HDMI for Home Theater duties; with digital bass management and a good Room Calibration and EQ system (DSP). ...Dirac Live, Room Perfect, Audyssey XT32, JRiver, Datasat, Synthesis, Quantum Logic, etc.

Your Bryston pre/pro is the best (of course; it's Canadian made), but it has no HDMI connectors.
You thought very good to play analog and get the Oppo 105. ...But you are still incomplete, as it appears.
Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA (lossless multichannel audio for movies, and music too, and up to 7.1) are there in your Oppo 105 (internal decoders) when using the analog 7.1-channel connection, and that subwoofer channel is hard to dial in perfectly.

* About getting a MiniDSP DDRC-88A separate unit with Dirac Live? ...Good for 7.1, and it uses the analog connections, and it's only a thou ($1,000).
=> www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-18-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #12265 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

post #12266 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 12:26 PM

I dont really want to spend any more money for now..
My subwoofer is playing very good when using bryston,i manage to get pretty good fq response just by finding best spot for it,then i treated the room to get that flat FR.
So if the sub can play so good with prepro,why it can not play this good using oppo?

BTW,thanks for taking your time to answer my questions..👍
post #12267 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanks for links,gonna check it out..
post #12268 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If you haven't done so, you should email Oppo. Their tech support is excellent. I've used my 105 as an analog source directly to amps and a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that controls a pair of HGS-15s. Lack of LF has never been a problem. I disagree with using the 105 as a digital source. If there is a problem with the LFE of your unit, I'd get that fixed. Your 105 should be splendid for music and HT. In my current setup, analog stereo from the 105 is bypassed by a preamp so other sources can share access to the amps. The 105 controls the 7.1 level when it's the source. And it is the source not only for Blu-rey but a DirecTV HD-DVR connects to it via HDMI. Music in 7.1 DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD can be a particularly enjoyable experience.

db
post #12269 of 12702 Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Using the BDP-105D as a DAC for Computer Audio

In case anyone here is using their BDP-105D with the USB inputs from a MAC that runs Audirvana, do you have favorite Izotope SRC settings to upsample the music that you feed the Oppo's DAC?
post #12270 of 12702 Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
If you haven't done so, you should email Oppo. Their tech support is excellent. I've used my 105 as an analog source directly to amps and a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager that controls a pair of HGS-15s. Lack of LF has never been a problem. I disagree with using the 105 as a digital source. If there is a problem with the LFE of your unit, I'd get that fixed. Your 105 should be splendid for music and HT. In my current setup, analog stereo from the 105 is bypassed by a preamp so other sources can share access to the amps. The 105 controls the 7.1 level when it's the source. And it is the source not only for Blu-rey but a DirecTV HD-DVR connects to it via HDMI. Music in 7.1 DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD can be a particularly enjoyable experience.

db
If i havent compared it directly with prepro,i would be sattisfied with overall sound too,but when i switch to processor decoding,there is obvious weakness in lfe channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page