Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 411 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 234Likes

post #12301 of 12317 Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiself View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm currently running my 105 balanced through a Parasound A23. I'd like suggestions on connecting my Def Tech Pro Sub 100 TL. My options are Oppo SW out RCA to L/R on the 100TL through a splitter or A23 >RCA L/R balanced "Loop Out">100TL L/R. Also in the mix, the sub has its own crossover.
At the moment I have the downmix > Stereo, L/R speakers > small, the sub > on, 105 SW out w/ splitter to the 100TL.
Suggestions / opinions please.
Do you want to use the Crossover in the Sub? Normally you would use the Crossover in the 105.

Also, we need to be sure you are not confusing the Down-Mix STEREO choice in Speaker Configuration with the Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO choice in Audio Processing.

Here's the correct way to add a Subwoofer to a Stereo Analog output configuration from the 105:

1) Set Audio Processing > Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. This configures the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) to respond to Speaker Configuration settings that normally affect the Left Front / Right Front pair of the multi-channel Analog set.

2) Set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix STEREO. This tells the player to down-mix multi-channel content into the Left Front / Right Front pair. Given setting (1) above, that also now applies to either pair of the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs.

3) Set Subwoofer to ON. You have to do this now as setting Down Mix STEREO in (2) turns off the Sub by default.

4) Set Left Front / Right Front to SMALL. This engages Crossover processing for them -- and due to (1) also for the Dedicated Stereo outs.

5) Pick a Crossover frequency according to how much bass you want the Sub to handle. I suggest setting 80Hz to start.

6) Wire the RCA Subwoofer output to your Sub. On the Sub itself, either disable its internal crossover or, if that is not possible, crank it up to the highest possible frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible.

7) Wire your choice of the RCA or XLR pair L/R outputs of the Dedicated Stereo set to your stereo amp.

8) Use a calibration track and an SPL meter to balance the Sub and the front speakers. I suggest the 5.1 LPCM test track from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. Just ignore the test tones for Center and the Surrounds. Leave the Sub volume trim in the OPPO at 0dB and adjust Sub volume using the volume knob on the Sub itself so that the Sub produces the same SPL reading as your L/R speakers. The necessary Sub signal boost will be baked in once you've done this.

Voila! Note that you will need to use the OPPO Volume control (buttons at the top of the remote) to control Main Volume so that the L/R and Sub signals get adjusted together. Confirm that you have Output Volume set to VARIABLE so you can do this.
--Bob
Joe Appierto and elfiself like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-22-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12302 of 12317 Old 01-22-2015, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Bob thanks for the detailed explanation. This is in fact the setup I performed when I came home from work this afternoon. Interestingly the only difference involved setting the sub 3dB above the fronts by SPL. I believe I picked up this recommendation elsewhere in the forum.
Again my thanks Bob.
Larry
post #12303 of 12317 Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2884 Post(s)
Liked: 960
post #12304 of 12317 Old 01-23-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 117
All:

I'm having trouble with the asynchronous USB in. It was working fine connected to my pc-based music server playing DSF files. When I shut down the server last night and started it back up, the Oppo USB DAC was no longer listed as one of my audio devices, even though the Oppo is on, USB input is selected, etc. It's as if the driver disappeared. When I tried to reinstall the driver, it told me I needed to attach the Oppo, in essence telling me the connection was bad. I played with powering on/off both Oppo and server, connecting and disconnecting cables until it finally recognized the Oppo again.

Started server up today, same thing: No Oppo DAC. Anyone else experience this and are there some known root causes for the connection to drop.I'm using a gigawire USB cable from the server to the Oppo. I suppose I can try another cable, but I'm hoping there is a fix or known issue.

Edit: It appears there may be a windows issue. I'm running two DAC's, one each for FLAC and DSD. I don't think Windows is connecting to the Oppo if my Bryston is set as a default/priority. More analysis to do!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list

Last edited by scirica; 01-23-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #12305 of 12317 Old 01-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiself View Post
Bob thanks for the detailed explanation. This is in fact the setup I performed when I came home from work this afternoon. Interestingly the only difference involved setting the sub 3dB above the fronts by SPL. I believe I picked up this recommendation elsewhere in the forum.
Again my thanks Bob.
Larry
The effect known as "Room Gain" results in a small boost of bass which is considered desirable -- part of what differentiates a good listening room from an anechoic chamber. Typical Room Gain values are in the range 2-4dB and movie mixers assume that will be present in home theaters. Large listening rooms or rooms with extensive bass treatment generally have no inherent room gain. Anyway, the upshot is that if you feel it sounds better to you with the Sub's SPL set a couple dB higher than the Mains (as measured using a calibration track and an SPL meter) that's "normal".

Don't overdo it. In particular, there is no such consensus to assume Room Gain in the listening room among people who mix music. It is better to err on the low side when deciding to include Room Gain in your target SPL for the Sub. Say 3dB or less over the measured level for the Mains.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-23-2015 at 12:32 PM.
post #12306 of 12317 Old 01-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
These adjustments are only applicable if you are attempting to measure single-frequency bass tones using the Radio Shack SPL meter -- i.e., to map out the room's bass response vs. frequency. The test tones used for setting levels are a broad mix of bass frequencies, and no such adjustment of the measured SPL level is needed.

Set the SPL meter to "slow" response and "C" weighting. Hold it pointing straight up to the ceiling, at arm's length, with the tip at seated ear height at your primary listening position. Keep the tip away from blocking or reflecting surfaces such as a wall or seat back. I.e., raise the tip a few inches to clear the seat back or move it a foot closer to the screen to get it away from the wall immediately behind the seat.

Also make sure the meter has fresh batteries. These meters give wonky results as the batteries get weak.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 01-23-2015 at 12:33 PM.
post #12307 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hum from Analog Stereo Outputs

Hooked up my new BDP-105D and am getting a serious hum from the 2 CH analog outs. Oppo is connected to a Denon AVR-4520CI receiver. Initially I did connect both the stereo and multi-channel analog outputs to see if there would be any difference in audio.

I first used the DVD input on the receiver for just 2 CH analog, and the multi-channel inputs for surround. Major hum in 2 CH analog mode, nothing in multi-channel mode. I tried different inputs on the receiver, and then disconnected the multi-channel FL/FR and used only the 2 CH FL/FR. Still have the hum. Swapped cables too. Disconnected everything, started over - same result. Never had any hum before from the Denon. Hum only comes from the FL/FR speakers. I have all the multi-channel analog connections in place - the other channels are dead quiet. I get no hum at all over HDMI.

So it appears it's the 2 CH output, which is the primary reason I bought this player. Before I call Oppo, does anyone have anything else I can try?

I appreciate the help.

I love this site!
post #12308 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Hum usually means you have a ground loop. The ground prong of the 3-pin OPPO plug is likely providing the path back to ground to let the current flow. (Your older player may have had a 2-prong plug.) The trick is to find the source of the garbage current.

NOTE: You can use a 3-prong to 2-prong cheater plug to test this, but if it does make the hum go away, be aware that this is not a fix. You've just interrupted the path for current to flow. The SOURCE of the current is still in your system and should be found and fixed, as it will continue trying to find a path to ground, and the effect it has on your audio or video may not be so obvious as this hum.

These days, the single most common source is power line interference coming in along the shield of a cable or satellite TV feed. To test this, disconnect that feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If that fixes it, you need to fix the grounding of that feed where it enters your house.

Ground loop current travels along the shields of the wires connecting the pieces of your system. The devices don't even need to be turned ON. It lies dormant until it finds a path back to ground so current can flow, and then it causes problems like this. Finding the source of the garbage requires some logical detective work.

Start by disconnecting EVERYTHING from your Receiver except for power, the stereo Analog pair from the OPPO (no need for video in or out) and the speaker outputs to your 2 front speakers. The OPPO should have connected to it only power and the Analog output pair to your receiver. Also temporarily plug the OPPO and your receiver into the SAME wall outlet -- no power conditioner or other stuff in between. Again, you have to physically disconnect the cables not in use -- turning devices off is not enough.

Test by playing something that doesn't need video for you to control it, such as a CD.

If you still have hum, call OPPO Tech Support for service. The problem may actually be in your Receiver, even though it did not manifest with the other player. They can help you sort this out.

If you no longer have hum, restore things one step at a time towards your "normal" configuration until the hum returns.

If you find the hum returns when you use MORE than just one wall outlet, then that may mean your wall outlets are not at the same ground potential. This usually has an easy fix done by repositioning the circuit breakers in the breaker box so all circuits used in your home theater are powered from the same rail.

It is rare for hum to be caused by a faulty component -- a faulty OPPO or any of your other devices. It would mean the faulty component is leaking wall power to its chassis shield. The usual culprits are power amps.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 03:55 PM.
post #12309 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trim setting not working!!?

I have an issue all of a sudden…. I decided to go in and fine tune my trim settings on my BDP-105 w/ 7.1 down mix and noticed that all of my trim settings are as I have left them, but they are way off based on my SPL meter settings that I have recorded in my notes. Plus when I go to adjust them up and down I’m not hearing any difference in sound anymore. Should I do a reset to factory defaults or is there something worse happening? Thanks!
post #12310 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post
I have an issue all of a sudden…. I decided to go in and fine tune my trim settings on my BDP-105 w/ 7.1 down mix and noticed that all of my trim settings are as I have left them, but they are way off based on my SPL meter settings that I have recorded in my notes. Plus when I go to adjust them up and down I’m not hearing any difference in sound anymore. Should I do a reset to factory defaults or is there something worse happening? Thanks!
Do you have the latest FW installed?

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #12311 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Do you have the latest FW installed?
I’m at vBDP10X-75-0515… crazy thing, I put in a movie for about 5 minutes, turned off the 105 and then went back in and they are working now? Strange!??
post #12312 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
You do realize those trim settings ONLY work for analog audio, right? (Maybe you do, but just pointing that out)
If you also have any digital audio connection like HDMI or SP/dif, be absolutely sure that you are listening to the
analog audio and not accidentally switched to the digital audio.
I think "DSD direct" may also bypass those settings, but I'm not 100% sure on that one since it's been so long since I tested that.
I have my BDP-105(D) set up to output PCM. ...but, to be sure, just try testing with a PCM, Dolby, or DTS track to see if it acts the same.

Also, as mentioned already, make sure you have the latest firmware revision installed, and if, after significant troubleshooting,
you still can't find the fix, you can also try resetting the player to factory default settings.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #12313 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I’m at vBDP10X-75-0515… crazy thing, I put in a movie for about 5 minutes, turned off the 105 and then went back in and they are working now? Strange!??
You need FW 0827. I know there was a problem with the distance settings. I think this was the FW to solve that.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #12314 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Hum usually means you have a ground loop. The ground prong of the 3-pin OPPO plug is likely providing the path back to ground to let the current flow. (Your older player may have had a 2-prong plug.) The trick is to find the source of the garbage current
--Bob
Thanks Bob for the detailed response. I will have a go at it tomorrow and report back.

I love this site!
post #12315 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You do realize those trim settings ONLY work for analog audio, right? (Maybe you do, but just pointing that out)
If you also have any digital audio connection like HDMI or SP/dif, be absolutely sure that you are listening to the
analog audio and not accidentally switched to the digital audio.
I think "DSD direct" may also bypass those settings, but I'm not 100% sure on that one since it's been so long since I tested that.
I have my BDP-105(D) set up to output PCM. ...but, to be sure, just try testing with a PCM, Dolby, or DTS track to see if it acts the same.

Also, as mentioned already, make sure you have the latest firmware revision installed, and if, after significant troubleshooting,
you still can't find the fix, you can also try resetting the player to factory default settings.
Yeah, Im inside of settings....doing the trim settings. Its working now and I did nothing different than before? Strange, but thanks for you input.
post #12316 of 12317 Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2884 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Oppo works in mysterious ways sometimes.
post #12317 of 12317 Old Today, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Oppo works in mysterious ways sometimes.
I was taught it's either AM or FM when it comes to electronics. Almost Magic or Freaking Magic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page