Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 423 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 302Likes

post #12661 of 12687 Old 03-24-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If not having an app that exists when you buy the player is unacceptable, then don't buy the player and buy another product that has the apps you want. If a new app comes along AFTER you buy the player, Oppo has made no promises to add new apps, so I don't see how that can possibly be unacceptable. None of us knows for sure why Tidal hasn't been (and possibly won't be) added, but if Tidal won't work with Oppo (just as an example - we do know this is why Oppo doesn't have an Amazon app) then there's nothing Oppo can do.

Adding an app may be (relatively) simple from a technology point of view, but these things require licensing agreements and getting 2 companies to work together, which often are not so simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Not to mention that in some cases the decision about whether or not to support the app on the Oppo does not rest solely with Oppo. Most of the time, it is the content provider who writes the app and often it is the content provider who decides whether it is worth the trouble to adapt the app to a given platform. Finally, we have no visibility into what, if any, other licensing fees or other weirdness is involved.

Net: taking a dump on Oppo or any other manufacturer for not supporting a given content provider is incredibly naive.
You can calm down guys, I was being flippant because I was in a bad mood dealing with JRivers.

I assure you guys, I understand about licenses and strategic alliances. My naivete is full blow at times but not here.

I love Oppo, and my 105. I have posted previous and with passion, it is my fav piece of equipment ever. The company impresses the heck out of me too.

BTW, I was really addressing Tidal not Oppo.

Seems to me the onus is on them to make their product easily accessed. I don't have Tidal for just this reason.

peace all

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 12687 Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Not to mention that in some cases the decision about whether or not to support the app on the Oppo does not rest solely with Oppo. Most of the time, it is the content provider who writes the app and often it is the content provider who decides whether it is worth the trouble to adapt the app to a given platform. Finally, we have no visibility into what, if any, other licensing fees or other weirdness is involved.

Net: taking a dump on Oppo or any other manufacturer for not supporting a given content provider is incredibly naive.
That's what I meant with the example of Amazon.
post #12663 of 12687 Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,
I'm trying to ARC feed my 105's ARC hdmi1 out from a new Samsung 8550; specifically streaming Amazon prime HD movie. NO Audio! Should I resort to optical feed from tv to oppo?
post #12664 of 12687 Old 03-25-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiself View Post
Hi all,
I'm trying to ARC feed my 105's ARC hdmi1 out from a new Samsung 8550; specifically streaming Amazon prime HD movie. NO Audio! Should I resort to optical feed from tv to oppo?
The optical feed will sound better than the arc.
post #12665 of 12687 Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfiself View Post
Hi all,
The TV will have a specific HDMI port that supports ARC.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
post #12666 of 12687 Old 03-25-2015, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You are sorely mistaken about the optical being better. ...optical can only do 5.1...alot of streaming services are using DD+ and DTS that is 7.1 surround sound that cam only be transmitted thru hdmi..you have to make sure that you select the arc input on the oppo that has the cable connected to it and that you are connected to the correct input on your TV that has arc support and then that in the settings on your tv you have it set to the digital sound you want
post #12667 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
You are sorely mistaken about the optical being better. ...optical can only do 5.1...alot of streaming services are using DD+ and DTS that is 7.1 surround sound that cam only be transmitted thru hdmi..
Dolby Digital Plus yes... But I'm not aware of any streaming service that currently offers DTS. And I'm also not aware of any streaming service that has offered Dolby Digital Plus with 7.1 channels!

There are a few DVB-T2 services within the EU who are using Dolby Digital Plus instead of AAC-LC or HE-AAC, but again I'm not aware of any that have offered Dolby Digital Plus with 7.1 channels. Which is a great shame because many Smart TV's offer on-board Dolby Digital Plus decoders.

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #12668 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
You are sorely mistaken about the optical being better. ...optical can only do 5.1...alot of streaming services are using DD+ and DTS that is 7.1 surround sound that cam only be transmitted thru hdmi..you have to make sure that you select the arc input on the oppo that has the cable connected to it and that you are connected to the correct input on your TV that has arc support and then that in the settings on your tv you have it set to the digital sound you want
My ears do not deceive me-the arc sound is off.

owner of LG 65EC9700
post #12669 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Quote:
You are sorely mistaken about the optical being better. ...optical can only do 5.1...alot of streaming services are using DD+ and DTS that is 7.1 surround sound that cam only be transmitted thru hdmi..
Dolby Digital Plus yes... But I'm not aware of any streaming service that currently offers DTS. And I'm also not aware of any streaming service that has offered Dolby Digital Plus with 7.1 channels!

There are a few DVB-T2 services within the EU who are using Dolby Digital Plus instead of AAC-LC or HE-AAC, but again I'm not aware of any that have offered Dolby Digital Plus with 7.1 channels. Which is a great shame because many Smart TV's offer on-board Dolby Digital Plus decoders.

Cheers
I guess that you have never heard of Vudu?
It it's hdx has titles with 7.1 and CinemaNow uses DTS and MGO is switching over to DTS
post #12670 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Quote:
That should not be the case. ARC is more restrictive than "normal" HDMI audio, but it can carry the same stuff you can get from the TV on Optical so long as the TV itself isn't restricting things.

Check your TV settings to make sure it is not set to send a Stereo down mix for ARC.
--Bob
post #12671 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Below is an email I just sent to Oppo. The Auto Resume feature on my 105D is really annoying me!

Hello,

I have a question on they way the Auto Resume feature is working on my 105D. If I stop a CD/SACD and power the player off then power it back up playback resumes without hitting the play button. I do not recall the Auto Resume feature working with earlier FW versions with my 103. I listened to an SACD last night and it played through completely then the 105D went to the Home menu. This morning when I powered up the 105D the SACD started playing from the beginning without hitting play. I do not understand why playback would start on its own when there was no resume spot as the SACD played to the end. I have the Auto Play feature off. I don't like to complain but the way the Auto Resume feature is now working is very annoying. I like to turn on my system let it warm up then start playback when I hit play. I would very much appreciate it if Oppo could look at revising the Auto Resume feature so it only works when the play button is used. Thank you for your time!

Take care, Bill

Bill
eljr likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12672 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess that you have never heard of Vudu?
It it's hdx has titles with 7.1 and CinemaNow uses DTS and MGO is switching over to DTS
Sadly, the last time I checked, the VuDu and CinemaNow services did not function for us UK Oppo owners

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #12673 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello All,

I have an Oppo BDP-105D, I recently purchased a logitech "livingroom" K830. I am able to move through menus and select letter from onscreen "keyboard" in the youtube app of the Oppo but can not type in the search window. Anyone have experience with this?
post #12674 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post
Quote:
That should not be the case. ARC is more restrictive than "normal" HDMI audio, but it can carry the same stuff you can get from the TV on Optical so long as the TV itself isn't restricting things.

Check your TV settings to make sure it is not set to send a Stereo down mix for ARC.
--Bob
So your saying that optical/coax isn't restricted to 6 channel audio anymore?
Since when? Why does Dolby and DTS bother and every tv manufacturer I have ever heard of claim that HDMI is the best quality audio connection?
I am very interested in this if you can tell me where I'm going wrong....I'm open to learning more about electronics it's always changing these days
post #12675 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ What I said was that if the TV can send it out over Optical, then it can also send it out over ARC.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12676 of 12687 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Quote:
^ What I said was that if the TV can send it out over Optical, then it can also send it out over ARC.
--Bob
OK Sorry, I misunderstood I had what you said flipped around, I thought you were saying optical was better than hdmi and could do 8 channel, I apologize profusely
post #12677 of 12687 Old Today, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Integra DHC 80.1 & Oppo

Hello

I am running the Oppo 105D 5.1 multi channel out into my Integra DHC 80.1. How do I know if I am hearing the Oppo's DAC's or the Integra's DAC's

Do I need to mess with the settings?

Thanks in advance
post #12678 of 12687 Old Today, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblebum View Post
Hello

I am running the Oppo 105D 5.1 multi channel out into my Integra DHC 80.1. How do I know if I am hearing the Oppo's DAC's or the Integra's DAC's

Thanks in advance
Well, the 105D's analog outputs are the product of its DAC's (Digital to Analog Converters), so the big question is what is your Pre-Pro doing to this nice Oppo analog signal? It could possibly be converting the analog signal to digital (i.e. Audyssey room correction), then back to analog using its own DAC's, which would defeat the benefit of the 105D's DACs. Basically, you can't be doing any digital signal processing in your Pre-Pro (you need a straight pass-thru of the analog signal) to hear the 105D's DACs.
barfle likes this.
post #12679 of 12687 Old Today, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblebum View Post
Hello

Thanks in advance
My Yamaha receiver's multi channel inputs automatically bypass room correction (bass management) and any processing, so when I listen to the multi channel signal from my 105 I am hearing the Oppo's DACs . Question is, does your Integra's multi channel inputs bypass all processing. Your manual should tell you.
post #12680 of 12687 Old Today, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Below is an email I just sent to Oppo. The Auto Resume feature on my 105D is really annoying me!

Hello,

I have a question on they way the Auto Resume feature is working on my 105D. If I stop a CD/SACD and power the player off then power it back up playback resumes without hitting the play button. I do not recall the Auto Resume feature working with earlier FW versions with my 103. I listened to an SACD last night and it played through completely then the 105D went to the Home menu. This morning when I powered up the 105D the SACD started playing from the beginning without hitting play. I do not understand why playback would start on its own when there was no resume spot as the SACD played to the end. I have the Auto Play feature off. I don't like to complain but the way the Auto Resume feature is now working is very annoying. I like to turn on my system let it warm up then start playback when I hit play. I would very much appreciate it if Oppo could look at revising the Auto Resume feature so it only works when the play button is used. Thank you for your time!

Take care, Bill

Bill
Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered it back up with the 688 and playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12681 of 12687 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered it back up with the 688 and playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.

Bill
Not much "harmony" there then. I'm so glad you've managed to track down your issue...
Bill Mac likes this.

post #12682 of 12687 Old Today, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Not much "harmony" there then. I'm so glad you've managed to track down your issue...
You got that right . I just have to figure out what type of extra signal the 688 is sending to cause the auto playback.

Bill

post #12683 of 12687 Old Today, 04:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

I believe by default the Harmony sends Play when the activity selects the player. As I recall there's a configuration setting to not do that.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 04:11 PM.
post #12684 of 12687 Old Today, 05:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I believe by default the Harmony sends Play when the activity selects the player. As I recall there's a configuration setting to not do that.
--Bob
Bob,

That could be it, thanks. The only question is why I didn't have this issue before the latest FW with the 103 and now with the 105D. I've had the 688 for quite awhile and this issue has only been happening for a month of two.

Bill

post #12685 of 12687 Old Today, 05:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

It's probably nothing more complicated than a difference in timing of whether the OPPO sees the unwanted Play command before or after it is ready to accept commands.

If you've recently reloaded your configuration into the Harmony, the timing difference could be there, too. I.e., even though you didn't make a change in the Harmony, simply reloading it or updating its firmware can cause it to act differently in subtle ways. (One of the things I find most annoying about the Harmony remotes -- if you go a long time between updating your Harmony configuration, it can be pretty scary wondering what will change when you finally do so.)

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12686 of 12687 Old Today, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I am wanting to play some .mkv files I have stored on my main computer and I am having an issue connecting my BDP-105 to my Mac Pro over my network. I have no issues connecting to my network, I can see my computer just fine. But when I type in my username and password it keeps giving me a login error "incorrrect username or password". I have no issues logging onto my main computer from any of the other computers in my house, which are all macs, using the same username and password I am typing in on the Oppo, and I have windows file sharing turned on in my filing sharing preferences. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
post #12687 of 12687 Old Today, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by speters View Post
Hey All,

I am wanting to play some .mkv files I have stored on my main computer and I am having an issue connecting my BDP-105 to my Mac Pro over my network. I have no issues connecting to my network, I can see my computer just fine. But when I type in my username and password it keeps giving me a login error "incorrrect username or password". I have no issues logging onto my main computer from any of the other computers in my house, which are all macs, using the same username and password I am typing in on the Oppo, and I have windows file sharing turned on in my filing sharing preferences. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
The SMB protocol, as implemented on Macs, is sadly not compatible with many other devices. Your main option would be to run a DLNA server on your Mac. The Oppo would be able to see that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page