Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 424 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 303Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #12691 of 12706 Old 03-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg11 View Post
Yeh, you nailed it Bob - using the 105 input! ... doh ...

Got it on bitstream & later will compare that to pcm + see if there's much difference between the mytek vs oppo dac chips for redbook.
Glad you got it working, but I think you are confused about what's going on here.

The content on a CD is stereo LPCM -- Digital audio. So the output on the Optical or Coax will ALWAYS be stereo LPCM when playing a CD, regardless of whether you have Bitstream set or not for those outputs.

The Bitstream vs LPCM choice only applies when the content is a Bitstream (DD or DTS). I.e., does it get sent out still as a Bitstream or is it decoded into LPCM first?

Also, LPCM is a form of Digital audio. The DACs in the OPPO are never involved when listening to the Digital outputs of the player -- HDMI, Optical, or Coax.

The DACs -- Digital to Analog Converters -- are only involved when listening to the ANALOG outputs of the player.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12692 of 12706 Old 03-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Member
 
jamesg11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another justified correction! ... & I'd already anticipated that response as I was sitting listening just after I sent that bit of confusion ... how many zillion cds have I ripped to pcm on my hd ...

That comparison of dac chips is going thru the same analog preamp & amp from respective mytek & oppo, so I was at least on top of that!

Thanks Bob.
jamesg11 is offline  
post #12693 of 12706 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered it back up with the 688 and playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.
I was able to tweak the 688 so playback doesn't start automatically . It took multiple attempts and the Harmony software crashing but it's done. Harmony's customer service is pretty much useless unless you want to pay for it . I had to adjust the power up timing sequence from 25,000 ms to 1000 ms and that did it. So now on power up the 105D goes directly to the Home page and not playback. I emailed Oppo to let them know it was my Harmony remote and not the 105D. They responded early this morning with this message.

Bill,
We are glad to hear that you have isolated the cause of the errors to your remote control, rather than the player.
Best Regards

As always amazing service from Oppo !

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #12694 of 12706 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 5,232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered it back up with the 688 and playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.

Bill
Color me skeptical. I don't have a Harmony anything and my 105 does the same thing.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #12695 of 12706 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 5,232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I was able to tweak the 688 so playback doesn't start automatically . It took multiple attempts and the Harmony software crashing but it's done. Harmony's customer service is pretty much useless unless you want to pay for it . I had to adjust the power up timing sequence from 25,000 ms to 1000 ms and that did it. So now on power up the 105D goes directly to the Home page and not playback. I emailed Oppo to let them know it was my Harmony remote and not the 105D. They responded early this morning with this message.



Bill
you sure that had to do with the Harmony remote?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #12696 of 12706 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Color me skeptical. I don't have a Harmony anything and my 105 does the same thing.
You can be any colored anyway you wish but the problem was caused by the Harmony remote . Maybe you didn't read my previous post close enough. When the Oppo remote was used the 105D didn't start playback till the play button was pressed. As soon as I used the 688 for power up the 105D started playing after boot up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
you sure that had to do with the Harmony remote?
What's with the ? Yes I'm sure as I powered up the 105D 5-6 times with the 688 after tweaking the timing and it didn't start playing once. Happy now ?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #12697 of 12706 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Color me skeptical. I don't have a Harmony anything and my 105 does the same thing.
Check that you have recent firmware and that you are not confusing the Auto Play and the Auto Resume settings.

Turn Auto Play ON and then back OFF again and test again in case you have some sort of settings corruption.
--Bob
eljr likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #12698 of 12706 Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 5,232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
You can be any colored anyway you wish but the problem was caused by the Harmony remote . Maybe you didn't read my previous post close enough. When the Oppo remote was used the 105D didn't start playback till the play button was pressed. As soon as I used the 688 for power up the 105D started playing after boot up.



What's with the ? Yes I'm sure as I powered up the 105D 5-6 times with the 688 after tweaking the timing and it didn't start playing once. Happy now ?

Bill
I like to listen to music while I watch basketball or football. Baseball I haven't watched 35 years so that's a none issue. Soccer I'll watch either way but if my daughter is watching a game with me I have to listen to the soccer broadcasters.

I hope Duke wins this game, it would be ridiculous to not have a team from the best conference in the country in the final 4.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #12699 of 12706 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I like to listen to music while I watch basketball or football. Baseball I haven't watched 35 years so that's a none issue. Soccer I'll watch either way but if my daughter is watching a game with me I have to listen to the soccer broadcasters.

I hope Duke wins this game, it would be ridiculous to not have a team from the best conference in the country in the final 4.
What does the above have to do with the 105 or your earlier posts about the Harmony remote and the 105?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #12700 of 12706 Old Today, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Netflix and the 105?

I don't use Netflix very much but noticed the last two movies I watched (Shooter and Rain Man) had an odd intermittent crackling noise. Would this be an issue with Netflix or the application with the 105? I use a wired connection from my PC. Thanks for any thoughts on this .


Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #12701 of 12706 Unread Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 5,232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
What does the above have to do with the 105 or your earlier posts about the Harmony remote and the 105?

Bill
nothing

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #12702 of 12706 Unread Today, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
nothing
So I guess that post would be as many refer to as "trolling" . At least in the future I know what I'm dealing with .

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #12703 of 12706 Unread Today, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 5,232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
So I guess that post would be as many refer to as "trolling" . At least in the future I know what I'm dealing with .

Bill
no Billie, that was trying to make peace with a thin skinned poster

-------------------------------

some people don't know enough to let things go

this is where you take a bow

happy now?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #12704 of 12706 Unread Today, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
no Billie, that was trying to make peace with a thin skinned poster

-------------------------------

some people don't know enough to let things go

this is where you take a bow

happy now?
Wow . You posted earlier basically doubting my findings and when I posted that it was factual you post something totally off topic. Then I gave my opinion of that post. Then you post the above. Thin skinned not in the least. But it seems someone else might be . At least I was able to correct the playback issues with my 105D all on my own . So yes I'm quite happy. Rock on brother, I'm outta here .

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
post #12705 of 12706 Unread Today, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 5,232
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Wow . You posted earlier basically doubting my findings and when I posted that it was factual you post something totally off topic. Then I gave my opinion of that post. Then you post the above. Thin skinned not in the least. But it seems someone else might be . At least I was able to correct the playback issues with my 105D all on my own . So yes I'm quite happy. Rock on brother, I'm outta here .

Bill
Billie, I questioned your findings and you became insulted.

When I realized that simply not accepting your assertion at face value had bothered you I changed the subject to avoid any more comfortableness as I like you and your posts. When you did not let it go I told you how it was. Now drop it.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #12706 of 12706 Unread Today, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 5,156
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Ok. Starting to get reports. Let's move on, please.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off