Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 424 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 303Likes

post #12691 of 12698 Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg11 View Post
Yeh, you nailed it Bob - using the 105 input! ... doh ...

Got it on bitstream & later will compare that to pcm + see if there's much difference between the mytek vs oppo dac chips for redbook.
Glad you got it working, but I think you are confused about what's going on here.

The content on a CD is stereo LPCM -- Digital audio. So the output on the Optical or Coax will ALWAYS be stereo LPCM when playing a CD, regardless of whether you have Bitstream set or not for those outputs.

The Bitstream vs LPCM choice only applies when the content is a Bitstream (DD or DTS). I.e., does it get sent out still as a Bitstream or is it decoded into LPCM first?

Also, LPCM is a form of Digital audio. The DACs in the OPPO are never involved when listening to the Digital outputs of the player -- HDMI, Optical, or Coax.

The DACs -- Digital to Analog Converters -- are only involved when listening to the ANALOG outputs of the player.
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 12698 Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another justified correction! ... & I'd already anticipated that response as I was sitting listening just after I sent that bit of confusion ... how many zillion cds have I ripped to pcm on my hd ...

That comparison of dac chips is going thru the same analog preamp & amp from respective mytek & oppo, so I was at least on top of that!

Thanks Bob.
post #12693 of 12698 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered it back up with the 688 and playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.
I was able to tweak the 688 so playback doesn't start automatically . It took multiple attempts and the Harmony software crashing but it's done. Harmony's customer service is pretty much useless unless you want to pay for it . I had to adjust the power up timing sequence from 25,000 ms to 1000 ms and that did it. So now on power up the 105D goes directly to the Home page and not playback. I emailed Oppo to let them know it was my Harmony remote and not the 105D. They responded early this morning with this message.

Bill,
We are glad to hear that you have isolated the cause of the errors to your remote control, rather than the player.
Best Regards

As always amazing service from Oppo !

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12694 of 12698 Old Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Well it turns out the issue isn't with the 105D but with my Harmony 688 remote. I tried powering up the 105D with the supplied Oppo remote and playback did not start on power up. Then I powered the 105D down and powered it back up with the 688 and playback starts on power up. I tried a few tweaks to the 688 so the 105D would not start playback on power up but no luck so far. I'll either post in the remote sub forum or contact Harmony/Logitech.

Bill
Color me skeptical. I don't have a Harmony anything and my 105 does the same thing.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12695 of 12698 Old Today, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was able to tweak the 688 so playback doesn't start automatically . It took multiple attempts and the Harmony software crashing but it's done. Harmony's customer service is pretty much useless unless you want to pay for it . I had to adjust the power up timing sequence from 25,000 ms to 1000 ms and that did it. So now on power up the 105D goes directly to the Home page and not playback. I emailed Oppo to let them know it was my Harmony remote and not the 105D. They responded early this morning with this message.

Bill
you sure that had to do with the Harmony remote?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #12696 of 12698 Old Today, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Color me skeptical. I don't have a Harmony anything and my 105 does the same thing.
You can be any colored anyway you wish but the problem was caused by the Harmony remote . Maybe you didn't read my previous post close enough. When the Oppo remote was used the 105D didn't start playback till the play button was pressed. As soon as I used the 688 for power up the 105D started playing after boot up.

Quote:
you sure that had to do with the Harmony remote?
What's with the ? Yes I'm sure as I powered up the 105D 5-6 times with the 688 after tweaking the timing and it didn't start playing once. Happy now ?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Wyred 4 sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12697 of 12698 Old Today, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Check that you have recent firmware and that you are not confusing the Auto Play and the Auto Resume settings.

Turn Auto Play ON and then back OFF again and test again in case you have some sort of settings corruption.
--Bob
eljr likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12698 of 12698 Old Today, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can be any colored anyway you wish but the problem was caused by the Harmony remote . Maybe you didn't read my previous post close enough. When the Oppo remote was used the 105D didn't start playback till the play button was pressed. As soon as I used the 688 for power up the 105D started playing after boot up.

What's with the ? Yes I'm sure as I powered up the 105D 5-6 times with the 688 after tweaking the timing and it didn't start playing once. Happy now ?

Bill
I like to listen to music while I watch basketball or football. Baseball I haven't watched 35 years so that's a none issue. Soccer I'll watch either way but if my daughter is watching a game with me I have to listen to the soccer broadcasters.

I hope Duke wins this game, it would be ridiculous to not have a team from the best league in the country in the final 4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page