Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 426 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 314Likes

post #12751 of 12776 Old 04-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
^ While watching a DD 2.0 program, press Info button on the OPPO remote. The Top line will show you what the OPPO sees coming in on the HDMI input. If it is not DD 2.0, then there is likely a setting in the cable box that needs to be adjusted. For example, some boxes default to using Analog audio outputs for stereo program content.

Meanwhile, the bottom line of the OPPO Info display shows what it is putting out on each of the two HDMI outputs. If you have both of the outputs hooked up, with Split A/V set, keep in mind that audio will be muted on the HDMI 1 output (the one that should be going to the TV).

Also check to see if you have audio on the Analog outputs. A simple way to check that would be to plug in headphones.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 12776 Old 04-11-2015, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply. I am not sure if I confused you or just did not provide enough info. I am using the analog outputs direct to my amps. The info display does show DD 2.0. That is how I know that it is the channels with DD 2.0........

As I was typing that last sentence, it dawned on me that we had a power outage the other day. I just checked and indeed my front channel amp was off. My center and rear amps both have analog power switches. So those remained on. But my fronts where off. What a fool I am! But thank you for your input as it made me think about my analog outputs going to separate amps.

Regards,
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ While watching a DD 2.0 program, press Info button on the OPPO remote. The Top line will show you what the OPPO sees coming in on the HDMI input. If it is not DD 2.0, then there is likely a setting in the cable box that needs to be adjusted. For example, some boxes default to using Analog audio outputs for stereo program content.

Meanwhile, the bottom line of the OPPO Info display shows what it is putting out on each of the two HDMI outputs. If you have both of the outputs hooked up, with Split A/V set, keep in mind that audio will be muted on the HDMI 1 output (the one that should be going to the TV).

Also check to see if you have audio on the Analog outputs. A simple way to check that would be to plug in headphones.
--Bob
scirica likes this.
post #12753 of 12776 Old 04-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Glad you got it figured out! Yes, loss of an amp can be confusing.
--Bob
scirica likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12754 of 12776 Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone know of the chances of having Tidal / Spotify on Oppo, much like Netflix, etc.?

post #12755 of 12776 Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ OPPO has made no announcements.
--Bob

post #12756 of 12776 Old 04-13-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post
Anyone know of the chances of having Tidal / Spotify on Oppo, much like Netflix, etc.?
Slim chance...best way to enjoy tidal is airplay with an i-device to your avr or sonos in the chain.

---------------------------------------------------------------
gear: 3x JTR 212HT ~ 4x JTR 8LP ~ 2x JTR Orbit Shifter LFU ~ 11x Elemental Designs eD6c ~ Marantz SR7008 ~ Panasonic PT-AE8000U ~ Elite 176" 2.35 ATS
post #12757 of 12776 Old 04-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ OPPO has made no announcements.
--Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
Slim chance...best way to enjoy tidal is airplay with an i-device to your avr or sonos in the chain.
I was just trying my luck, it appears they are more interested in streaming video content than music. I did email Oppo but the answer was a 'may-be', so will have to stick with ickStream for the moment.

Thanks guys.
post #12758 of 12776 Old 04-14-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I'm running Tidal via the pc app running on my media server. I can therefore play it through JRiver and take advantage of upsampling, etc. Sounds great!

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #12759 of 12776 Old 04-14-2015, 03:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post
I was just trying my luck, it appears they are more interested in streaming video content than music. I did email Oppo but the answer was a 'may-be', so will have to stick with ickStream for the moment.
As with any other service they may want to offer, both parties have to reach an agreement for it to happen. So even if they want to add Tidal, it's a non starter if Tidal isn't interested in working with them.
post #12760 of 12776 Old 04-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
As with any other service they may want to offer, both parties have to reach an agreement for it to happen. So even if they want to add Tidal, it's a non starter if Tidal isn't interested in working with them.
Obviously that's the case, just that with increasing 'audiophile' hardware signing up with Tidal for lossless streaming, hopefully Tidal would come to Oppo one day. To me such combo would be quite awesome.
post #12761 of 12776 Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have my 105 going directly to an Emotiva amp so there is no AVR or pre-pro. The Xbox is connected to the Oppo's rear HDMI which works great. I recently connected the television to Oppo's optical in. I'm getting some really bad lip synching from the TV. Are there any settings in the Oppo to fix this issue?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #12762 of 12776 Old 04-25-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I have my 105 going directly to an Emotiva amp so there is no AVR or pre-pro. The Xbox is connected to the Oppo's rear HDMI which works great. I recently connected the television to Oppo's optical in. I'm getting some really bad lip synching from the TV. Are there any settings in the Oppo to fix this issue?
Unfortunately, no. I had the same issue connecting my Verizon/Motorola STB to the Oppo via coax. The Oppo's processing is too slow, resulting in lip sync. I solved it by going from the STB to my preamp, bypassing the Oppo.
post #12763 of 12776 Old 04-26-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Guys, I don't want to hijack the thread so you can PM a reply if you don't mind, but I am looking for input on XLR attenuators/pads.

I know it is a common discussion with 105 owners, and I need some for a preamp/amp/efficient speaker problem using XLR cables.

Just looking for insight and a reliable brand.

I know PE has some that I think are Dayton, Amazon has Hosa and Whirlwind.

Thanks.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
post #12764 of 12776 Old 04-27-2015, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Guys, I don't want to hijack the thread so you can PM a reply if you don't mind, but I am looking for input on XLR attenuators/pads.

I know it is a common discussion with 105 owners, and I need some for a preamp/amp/efficient speaker problem using XLR cables.

Just looking for insight and a reliable brand.

I know PE has some that I think are Dayton, Amazon has Hosa and Whirlwind.

Thanks.
If you go the L-pad route, I don't see how they will improve the already fabulous sonics the OPPO is capable of achieving. In fact, I suspect they will take you in the wrong direction.

Have you tried using the OPPO's passive volume attenuator and plug your balanced cables straight into the amp? You should hear an immediate and very noticeable music improvement. On the other hand, your systems dynamics won't be quite the same either. But if you swapped in a high-powered amp, things should balance out pretty wonderfully. My amps are 575 wpc and as one who takes great pride in my system's dynamics, I have no intention of going back to an active preamp. Especially after noticing how much distortion is induced (raising the noise floor) by an active preamp's amplified gain stage.

Not to mention that with one less component, you have one less power supply having to deal with noisy AC coming in from the street, one less power supply inducing internally-generated vibrations that remain trapped, and one less component chassis capturing and trapping air-borne and internally-generated vibrations.

Then of course there's the money saved from having one less component, one less pair of ic's, one less shelf, and less real estate space required for your system.

You can't lose going this route. In any performance-oriented industry, less always translates to more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Speakers a large sharper.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	903.7 KB
ID:	688561  
post #12765 of 12776 Old 04-29-2015, 04:17 PM

Connecting a headphone amp to the 105

Hi all,

Assuming the 105's 2-channel analog outputs are already in use for my preamp/amp-speaker chain, would the l/r outputs of the multichannel outs be the best way to connect a headphone amp that uses rca connections only (no option for balanced)? Or would it be better to connect to the tape outs from the preamp, thereby retaining use of the higher quality dacs that the 105 uses for its stereo outs? (The preamp is a Classé CP-45, about 20 years old; interconnects from 105 to preamp are Transparent MusicLink Super). Of course, one's ears are the final judges; just want to hear any thoughts anyone might offer. Thanks- David
post #12766 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by david515mi View Post
Hi all,

Assuming the 105's 2-channel analog outputs are already in use for my preamp/amp-speaker chain, would the l/r outputs of the multichannel outs be the best way to connect a headphone amp that uses rca connections only (no option for balanced)? Or would it be better to connect to the tape outs from the preamp, thereby retaining use of the higher quality dacs that the 105 uses for its stereo outs? (The preamp is a Classé CP-45, about 20 years old; interconnects from 105 to preamp are Transparent MusicLink Super). Of course, one's ears are the final judges; just want to hear any thoughts anyone might offer. Thanks- David
You can easily use the L/R output from the player, but just make sure you go into the setup menu of the 105
and make sure the STEREO SIGNAL option is set to "Down-mixed Stereo".
This way the L/R connections will always output properly downmixed 2-channel audio.

Another option I have tried with success, was to connect an XLR->RCA cable from the balanced output of the player.
Of course you don't actually get balanced audio, but it essentially works the same as using the RCA output.

Also nothing wrong with using the tape output from your Classe either, but I would maybe try it both
'from the Oppo' and 'from the Classe' and pick which ever one sounded the best to my ears.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #12767 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You can easily use the L/R output from the player, but just make sure you go into the setup menu of the 105
and make sure the STEREO SIGNAL option is set to "Down-mixed Stereo".
This way the L/R connections will always output properly downmixed 2-channel audio.

Another option I have tried with success, was to connect an XLR->RCA cable from the balanced output of the player.
Of course you don't actually get balanced audio, but it essentially works the same as using the RCA output.

Also nothing wrong with using the tape output from your Classe either, but I would maybe try it both
'from the Oppo' and 'from the Classe' and pick which ever one sounded the best to my ears.
Thanks, Smarty- great advice; I never would have thought of the xlr to rca solution.
post #12768 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question for Oppo 105d owners: Can the 105D use the sbr out (subwoofer rca out), while playing 2 channel through the xlr outs? I want to use this for stereo music listening. I could never get it to work on my Oppo 95.

To clarify, can I use my sub through lfe out with my front main speakers?

Last edited by firefightingrob; 05-01-2015 at 10:55 AM.
post #12769 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Is there a firmware update coming to address stability issues? My 105 has acted pretty erratic when streaming from my NAS and using the iOS app. Also the YouTube streaming from my phone sometimes freezes up where I have restart the player. Anyone else running into this?
post #12770 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightingrob View Post
Question for Oppo 105d owners: Can the 105D use the sbr out (subwoofer rca out), while playing 2 channel through the xlr outs? I want to use this for stereo music listening. I could never get it to work on my Oppo 95.

To clarify, can I use my sub through lfe out with my front main speakers?
Yes, by configuring the XLR outputs to act as if they were the LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel set. Note that the XLR outputs are, by design, +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs, so you'll need to compensate for this when balancing the sub's volume knob against the output of the XLR jacks.

See this article from the OPPO Digital Knowledge Bass:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15

--Bob

post #12771 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know.
post #12772 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Do any of you really knowledgeable guys (and you know who you are ) remember what the numberic code is that you can enter when in the setup menu that tells you what region the player is set to? I seem to remember it had a couple of 7s in it but that's all I remember. Thanks in advance.

post #12773 of 12776 Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lan question with the 105. When everything is working fine with one router means 105 recognize my pc and able to access any shared files, plays back without any problem. Once a new router and modem is used, this time a Cisco DPC 3848, my 105 does not recognize my PC in the network. Why? Some setting on the new router/modem prevent networking with 105? Any help?
post #12774 of 12776 Old 05-02-2015, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Do any of you really knowledgeable guys (and you know who you are ) remember what the numberic code is that you can enter when in the setup menu that tells you what region the player is set to? I seem to remember it had a couple of 7s in it but that's all I remember. Thanks in advance.

Do not click OK unless you want to reset everything.

This does not show what my JVB Digital region free is set to, but does tell me if the SuperDisk region change is still in effect.
post #12775 of 12776 Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this with DSD material... Everyone seems to agree that the DAC volume control in the 105 works really well at not degrading sound quality. I've recently readjusted the gains on my amps to take my "normal" listening volume on the Oppo from ~35 to ~65. Non-DSD material sounds the same, but there has been a very noticeable increase in the quality/detail of DSD based material. Does anyone know if the DAC uses a different method for volume control with DSD? I would think because of the nature of DSD, the previously described bit dropping doesn't work? The detail increase has been mainly in upper octave sounds, guitar string "attack" and the front end dynamics mainly. Also, much more realistic vocal "air".

I've repeated this a few times and I don't think I'm imagining it. I would like to do more work to raise the Oppo volume control level, but don't have the equipment to test output clipping. I would hope that Oppo has designed everything in a way that would allow you to run near ~0 on the volume and not clip with reference source material. After all, the fixed output setting is at "0"?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
post #12776 of 12776 Old Today, 06:24 PM

I'm well outside my realm on this, which is a good thing. That allows me to simply take a SWAG.

The OPPO seems to do a fine job with reproducing DSD, just as it does with other formats. Some of my DSD recordings are quite detailed and on the OPPO a few can even sound perhaps a bit hot mic'ed or overly bright.

That said, your upping the gain at the amps might simply be emphasizing recordings already on the bright side of life and perhaps pushing the envelope a bit. Whereas less bright or less detailed recordings just sound a bit more detailed.

But let me ask you this? Since an active preamp has an amplified gain and in my very limited experience that amplified gain stage induces distortion, are you not reintroducing that same or similar distortion when you up the gain stage at the amps?

Have you noticed any delicate or pristine details smearing or becoming inaudible? Have you tried any critical listening with your most familiar recordings since you upped the gains at the amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page