Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #1261 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No hdmi on my receiver. Using the Oppo as my audio source only. smile.gif So I guess no options besides a universal remote... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I use HD605 cans. The volume is certainly adequate for playing stereo content. If you play multi-channel content, the attenuation that comes with the down-mix to stereo may or may be a problem for you depending on how loud you want to blast your ears. It's not a problem for me.
--Bob

Bob,

did you mean 650 vice 605? I only plan on using them with stereo music.

Cheers.
post #1263 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Prior quote fron FMD: 4) Lack of control/responsiveness from both the player & the remote - Oppo has already replaced the remote once but I am still experiencing issues which I am discussing with them. Very often the controls on the remote and the player do not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

Do yourself a favor and get a RF repeater and an RF universal remote.
IR is for the birds.

Any particular brand of remote to use instead of stock?

My concern with the existing remote (on the 103 and I assume functions similar to the 105) is that when you use it to fast forward thru a track it speeds up in a jagged fashion, e.g., 4 or 8 seconds at a time. My experience from Pioneer and Esoteric remotes on higher end CD players is that they fast forward continuously at a faster and faster speed, but not jaggedly, i.e., the speed goes up exponentially as you push the remote. The sound of the fast forwarding is also not disjointed like the sound of the Oppo remote.

Will a firmware adjustment fix this and enable the remote to operate more like the remote on expensive CD players?

Any suggestions on other brands of remote to operate on the Oppo which will fast forward like remotes on expensive CD players?

Thanks for any advice on this in advance.

HR
post #1264 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Quote:

I use HD605 cans. The volume is certainly adequate for playing stereo content. If you play multi-channel content, the attenuation that comes with the down-mix to stereo may or may be a problem for you depending on how loud you want to blast your ears. It's not a problem for me.
--Bob

Bob,

did you mean 650 vice 605? I only plan on using them with stereo music.

Cheers.

Yes HD650 (not 605). Typo. I edited my post above.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1265 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Regarding the remote, I use URC. MX-980 with a MSC-400 with RS-232 control.( CODES FROM BDP83 ). I have found that you can use the DIAG. PORT on the back of the 105, with a VIDEO SENSOR for total control. This unit only gets better and better.
IR= bad RF= good RS-232= best

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #1266 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym4 View Post

When I switch the audio input on my Classe SSP800 between analog and HDMI I lose the video signal from the Oppo 105 (I use the same HDMI input for video for both) and I can't get it back unless I power off both the Classe and the OPPO.
Anyone else have this problem?

No problem with my setup. The only handshake problem that I had was in the initial connection when my SSP-800 would not lock onto the signal. I turned everything off and powered up again and have not had a handshake problem since, strange happenings sometimes with HDMI. You have video assigned to HDMI using the analog input on the SSP-800? Try a different HDMI cable if possible if the problem goes away you know what was causing it.

I'm still finding the analog sound too bright and thin, but hopefully awaiting break in improvement.

Could it be that your old setup was not allowing detail to pass through? Was your previous player smoother sounding and what player please? I don't know what other components you are using? Same cables (RCA or XLR) used with the Oppo that you were using with the old player? What music did you use to playback and compare?

In my system I noticed more detail but not brighter at all! I was hearing more into the recording when it was well mastered for playback. I have an excuse as I have silver cables and Wilson Watt Puppy 7's which are very analytical and if you have a "bright" component you will notice as soon as you listen. Good luck with your evaluation. Maybe the Oppo is not what you need? Return it if not too late?
post #1267 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:

--Bob

Thanks. Did you try them off the XLR output on the back or purely through the headphone jack in the front?

Cheers.

Tony
post #1268 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 15
Sorry for another technical questions. Thanks to those who have provided answers.

As mentioned previously, I have a Parasound two channel amp and was successful connecting directly to the Oppo. I am now considering returning my new Marantz in replacing it with the Parasound A31 for the front three channels and using the A23 for surround duty (with the Oppo controlling the setup). I have a concern with using two XLR outputs for L/R channel and RCA for the center.

Given the difference in output level (double for XLR), I want to be certain I can maintain consistent SPL between the 3 front channels. I noticed that the Parasound XLR inputs have double the Input Impedence of the RCA inputs ( - will this inherently solve the problem?

The A31 also has gain adjustment (plus or minus 6 db). Lastly, the Oppo does have the trim available for multi-channel. So it seems to me I can get the SPL equal (I am fairly certain of this), but will wondering if the SPL stays in snyc as the volume level changes (i.e. will the XLR channels increase or decrease in SPL faster than the center channel connected via RCA)? Thanks!

Oppo
Output Level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS

Parasound A31
Input impedance:
47 k Ω unbalanced; 94 k Ω balanced
post #1269 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfeingold View Post

No hdmi on my receiver. Using the Oppo as my audio source only. smile.gif So I guess no options besides a universal remote... Thanks!
Then get one of the Logitech remotes, even the cheaper one like the 650 will help you manage multiple devices and their power on/off sequence.
post #1270 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

However the C15 Shunyata hangs halfway out of the C14 inlet and does not give we a warm a fuzzy regarding a solid connection. As a matter of fact I am planning to cable tie the cord to the rack since I have had an instance where it dropped power

Those "audiophile" cables tend to be very bulky, heavy, hard to bend, and often fall out of sockets. XLR is better because it latches, but of course that doesn't help you with a power cord.

You might try using the cord supplied by Oppo. It's free, and is known to work.
stevepow likes this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #1271 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

Using IR-same here. Infrequent and haven't bothered to document the circumstances, but cold reboot required.
Thank you very much
Fury

Is the player located under a plasma display, or in direct sunlight? Both of those can cause IR to go insane. (Guess why I know that.)

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #1272 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi mJim,

All the equipment is in a MA rack, light shielded, with a cCestron Core 3 processor, using the Crestron ir driver for the 93, and a new Crestron emitter, just a few feet, from a 103 and 105. When the lock ups occurred, the Oppo remotes, also failed to unlock either unit. As mentioned, the precise circumstances surrounding lockups have not been documented, BTW, the LCD and projector displays are fed by dual cat6 baluns, approximately 80 and 60 feet away. Looking forward to redoing the Crestron program, with rs232 control. Just too "busy" listening to 105's audio output, over the alleged "break-in" period.

Thank you very much

Fury
post #1273 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 11:35 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjiman View Post

I have an Oppo 95 going direct to Acoustic Energy Pro Sat via balanced XLR. As the voltage output was higher than expected input levels, wrote to my manufacturer. Acoustic Energy support recommended attenuators in this situation.
I went with the Rothwell XLR attenuators. High frequencies seemed to shine better.

I am happy for you that you found a good workaround by using Rothwell XLR inline attenuators.

I am experimenting with another workaround that was posted (#1226) by Bob Pariseau which appear to be working for me as an excellent temporary solution until OPPO provides us with a firmware update that is more user friendly and more powerful.

Currently, I am using -10db which is the max. limit while -12db or -15db would have been better for my setup. I am hoping future OPPO firmwares would provide us with user selectable trimming level between -10db and -20db in increment of -0.5db to cover a wide range of power amps, for 2.x channel setups.

My thanks goes to Bob Parizeau who developed the excellent workaround that does not cost ($$$) and supposedly with no compromise in SQ.
post #1274 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

My 105 which i just installed yesterday is having trouble reading the SACD layer on the Goodbye Yellow Brick road disc. it took 5 tries for it to finally read it. It always came up on the CD layer. It had no trouble with the Dark Side of the Moon hyrbrid. came up on SACD everytime.
I just saw that some have experienced the same and have been sent fixes from Oppo. just contacted them.

Oppo sent a firmware patch and all is well. Put on th GYBR
hybrid disc and it loaded as a SACD the very first time.
post #1275 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

Thanks. Did you try them off the XLR output on the back or purely through the headphone jack in the front?

Cheers.

Tony

Only via the Headphone jack.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1276 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Sorry for another technical questions. Thanks to those who have provided answers.

As mentioned previously, I have a Parasound two channel amp and was successful connecting directly to the Oppo. I am now considering returning my new Marantz in replacing it with the Parasound A31 for the front three channels and using the A23 for surround duty (with the Oppo controlling the setup). I have a concern with using two XLR outputs for L/R channel and RCA for the center.

Given the difference in output level (double for XLR), I want to be certain I can maintain consistent SPL between the 3 front channels. I noticed that the Parasound XLR inputs have double the Input Impedence of the RCA inputs ( - will this inherently solve the problem?

The A31 also has gain adjustment (plus or minus 6 db). Lastly, the Oppo does have the trim available for multi-channel. So it seems to me I can get the SPL equal (I am fairly certain of this), but will wondering if the SPL stays in snyc as the volume level changes (i.e. will the XLR channels increase or decrease in SPL faster than the center channel connected via RCA)? Thanks!

Oppo
Output Level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS

Parasound A31
Input impedance:
47 k Ω unbalanced; 94 k Ω balanced

Use the built-in -6dB attenuation offered by your Parasound for the XLR and you will be good to go. That matches them with the RCA outputs (for all volumes).
--Bob

post #1277 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am not using my 105 in a sophisticated AV setup. But using it in a 2-channel setup, the player reacts very quickly to remote commands (for the most part). That is just one of the things it seems to do so well. And the boot up time is staggeringly better as well. -I've never noticed any command that wasn't faster than the Marantz BD7003 I've been using for the last 3.5 years. I will be using the 105 with a Harmony Remote but haven't had time to set that up yet (hopefully today). Just been using the Oppo remote and it is great.
post #1278 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:42 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srgtfury View Post

Hi mJim,
All the equipment is in a MA rack, light shielded, with a cCestron Core 3 processor, using the Crestron ir driver for the 93, and a new Crestron emitter, just a few feet, from a 103 and 105.
Why aren't you using the IR inputs on the back of the 103 and 105? That would make for a cleaner setup then using IR emitters.
post #1279 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

My concern with the existing remote (on the 103 and I assume functions similar to the 105) is that when you use it to fast forward thru a track it speeds up in a jagged fashion, e.g., 4 or 8 seconds at a time. My experience from Pioneer and Esoteric remotes on higher end CD players is that they fast forward continuously at a faster and faster speed, but not jaggedly, i.e., the speed goes up exponentially as you push the remote. The sound of the fast forwarding is also not disjointed like the sound of the Oppo remote.
Will a firmware adjustment fix this and enable the remote to operate more like the remote on expensive CD players?
Any suggestions on other brands of remote to operate on the Oppo which will fast forward like remotes on expensive CD players?
Thanks for any advice on this in advance.
HR

Im not sure how that has anything to do with the remote? The remote just turns fast forward on or off. How the fast forward works is controlled by the oppo. I think mine has a 'jagged' FF too but never though anything of it and am not too concerned about it.
post #1280 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Been enjoying the 105 for two weeks now - great picture with both DVD and Blu-ray, excellent sound both via HDMI for the movies and 2-channel analog for a variety of audio sources (analog outs to Denon AVR-5805, then out to Goldenear Triton 2s). Only issue I've had was a few lockups when experimenting with video files via local network, probably as a result of selecting unsupported file types.

Just ordered the Roku stick. The Oppo website says to use your Oppo remote to control it. For those who have the stick and the 105, does the stick take the IR commands through the Oppo, or via a sensor on the end of the stick? I'm using RS-232 to control the Oppo and would prefer not to have to set up a separate IR line to control the stick, and if I have to send IR I'd prefer to send it to the Oppo's IR input rather than putting a flasher on the stick. Player is in a cabinet with solid doors, so no line of sight from the seats to the player.

Thanks,

Mike
post #1281 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The ROKU Streaming Stick takes the commands across the HDMI connection, i.e., it will see OPPO remote commands regardless of how you are getting them into the OPPO.

However, the ROKU firmware does not currently pay attention to any commands entered via a USB keyboard.
--Bob

post #1282 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Why aren't you using the IR inputs on the back of the 103 and 105? That would make for a cleaner setup then using IR emitters.

Hi Geoff, Just because the emitters were handy and I don't have the rack completely setup-actually not very close, as i am doing a lotta construction, etc. I'm gping to abandon IR for rs232, though-just haven't had time ,as the number of lockups has been very low.

Thank you very much

fury
post #1283 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply - good to know I won't need to set up another device and line to control the stick.

Mike
post #1284 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

Prior quote fron FMD: 4) Lack of control/responsiveness from both the player & the remote - Oppo has already replaced the remote once but I am still experiencing issues which I am discussing with them. Very often the controls on the remote and the player do not work.
Any particular brand of remote to use instead of stock?
My concern with the existing remote (on the 103 and I assume functions similar to the 105) is that when you use it to fast forward thru a track it speeds up in a jagged fashion, e.g., 4 or 8 seconds at a time.
HR

I am partial to Universal Remote Control products and use them with my 105. Never had a problem with command recognition. You have to be careful what dealer you order them from so you get access to the programming software. It does take a bit of work to get the remote programmed. A lot of people also like the Logitech Harmony products. I guess it depends how comfortable you are with the idea of programming the controller.

I doubt you will find a remote that will change that fast forward behavior.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #1285 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I am partial to Universal Remote Control products and use them with my 105. Never had a problem with command recognition. You have to be careful what dealer you order them from so you get access to the programming software. It does take a bit of work to get the remote programmed. A lot of people also like the Logitech Harmony products. I guess it depends how comfortable you are with the idea of programming the controller.
I doubt you will find a remote that will change that fast forward behavior.

I programed a Harmony 890 a week ago and at that time they did not have the 105 listed. I programed settings for the 103, which is listed, and had no problem.
post #1286 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Just had my 105 for less than my 2 days and i'm happily buffled by some things:

1.    I was watching my YouTube video subscriptions and the picture was clearly better than my 95. Does the YouTube video stream undergo the Qdeo processing on HDMI 1. If not, then i'm buffled as to why the picture looks amazin for some of the low quality video streams i have on my playlist. And yes, YT is way faster than it was on the 95. Cool indeed!

2.  The sound is amazing on many of the well made HD videos on YouTube...and this is only after less than 2 days! Right now, when not using it, i have a MCH SACD playing on repeatedly until i get my rack mount kit from Oppo this week. Peer pressure from this site caused me to start a burn-in session (biggrin.gif)but what what am i supposed to be burning anyways? Resistors(?), Caps(?), inductors(?), IC's(?), PCBs(?), Transformers(?) ...what????smile.gif

- David

lanping09 likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #1287 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ incense

A chalk pentagram is also considered helpful.

post #1288 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Funny answer to question #2smile.gif ... what about #1 ?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #1289 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by beertap View Post

Open headphones, with price of approximately of $200. Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K550-Closed-Back-Reference-Headphones/dp/B006IBILRO

While not open backed, and selling for closer to $300, I've found the new AKG K550 headphones to be a good fit with the BDP-105. They are designed to be easily driven via portable electronics, and so provide plenty of volume. They sound surprisingly open for closed cans.

Styln
post #1290 of 11667 Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried the Sennheiser HD650 headphones with the Oppo BDP=105 headphone output? I would imagine that it delivers sufficient power but just want to check ;-)

Thanks!

Cheers.

Tony

I have, and with two channel music, the headphone O/P had more than sufficient power, at least for my tastes (I try to protect my hearing rolleyes.gif).  For movies, the down-mixed-to-stereo volume was absolutely adequate for me (for example,

a max of around 70 on its scale while watching "The Jackal" last night, which has a very wide dynamic range), but then, I try not to blast my ears.  For TV shows streamed from Netflix (e.g., "Frasier"), I actually needed to reduce the volume to below the nominal setting of 50, to around 40.  Summing up, no problems with the HD 650 yet.

This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page