Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 431 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 346Likes
post #12901 of 12919 Unread 05-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
^ When you are getting video but no sound, use Info button on the OPPO remote to bring up the on-screen display. The top line will show what the OPPO is receiving for audio. The bottom line will show what it is sending out on the HDMI outputs.

Then check your AVR for what it says it is receiving for audio from the OPPO.

Let's see if this reveals anything.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12902 of 12919 Unread 05-25-2015, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I use a TiVo Romeo via a Lumagen 2020 and have also used it directly on the HDMI back input. Our displays are different through.

You may also want to check your TiVo audio settings.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #12903 of 12919 Unread 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4638 Post(s)
Liked: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
may I suggest a separate thread for bass management discussions? in the Audio Theory Forum...http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...ry-setup-chat/

and that we move on please

thanks
There is a brand new thread now, there. ...Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat Forum's section.

♦ Here => http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34494290
markrubin likes this.
post #12904 of 12919 Unread 05-25-2015, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help selecting tracks on SACDs and DVDs

I have recently purchased an Oppo 105d. I intend to use this purely for audio, and have it attached by Ethernet cable to my PC. I do not have a video monitor in my system. My question concerns playing SACDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs in the Oppo. I have some discs, such as a DVD for Dark Side of the Moon, that have multiple versions of the album on the disc in different formats. Some are 5.1, some are quad, some with differing bit rates. Without a TV monitor attached to the system, how do I select differing versions on the disc? If I want to play the 3d version on the DVD, for example, how can I select that using just the unit, the remote, and/or an Oppo MediaControl app on my iPhone?
post #12905 of 12919 Unread 05-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is it possible to use the 105 USB DAC with bass management (2 channel USB input and 2.1 output)?
post #12906 of 12919 Unread 05-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Alas, no. The data path for the USB DAC input goes straight to the DACs. So no audio processing is possible. Basically all you get is Volume control.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #12907 of 12919 Unread 05-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_D3 View Post
I have recently purchased an Oppo 105d. I intend to use this purely for audio, and have it attached by Ethernet cable to my PC. I do not have a video monitor in my system. My question concerns playing SACDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs in the Oppo. I have some discs, such as a DVD for Dark Side of the Moon, that have multiple versions of the album on the disc in different formats. Some are 5.1, some are quad, some with differing bit rates. Without a TV monitor attached to the system, how do I select differing versions on the disc? If I want to play the 3d version on the DVD, for example, how can I select that using just the unit, the remote, and/or an Oppo MediaControl app on my iPhone?
Items that can only be selected through on-disc menus (such as alternate movie versions) will require a monitor -- or memorizing the commands needed on the remote to make that selection. You might want to look into some of the small HDMI monitors sold for use with video cameras or for in-car installation. Haier is a brand commonly mentioned.

For SACDs, you can toggle between the Stereo audio and the 5.1 audio using the Audio button on the remote. For DVDs you can use the Audio button to cycle through the audio tracks available, so long as all the tracks are in the same, default "title", as opposed to having to select between different titles.
--Bob

post #12908 of 12919 Unread 05-26-2015, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks Bob, I will try those. I don't want to keep a monitor in my listening room on a long term basis. Instead, I may try to use a monitor on a short term basis to figure out what commands I need to use on the remote to get to the correct track that I want to play on the DVD/SACD. I'm just somewhat surprised that to play a purely audio disc on the Oppo, I need to have a video monitor.
post #12909 of 12919 Unread 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Alas, no. The data path for the USB DAC input goes straight to the DACs. So no audio processing is possible. Basically all you get is Volume control.
--Bob
Hi Bob,

How about SPDIF? Can Oppo 105 implement bass management on a 2 channel signal coming through digital RCA (SPDIF) and output 2.1?
post #12910 of 12919 Unread 05-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. Or on HDMI input , or played as a media file on an attached drive or over the house network.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-26-2015 at 05:28 PM.
post #12911 of 12919 Unread Yesterday, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Yes. Or on HDMI input , or played as a media file on an attached drive or over the house network.
--Bob
Hi Bob,
Many thanks for your response. As long as it can apply bass management to S/PDIF input (coming from PC), it'll work for me.

I was told that Oppo does not apply bass management to all three digital input connections (Optical/Coax/USB DAC). But if it does apply it to Coax, it'll solve my problem.
post #12912 of 12919 Unread Yesterday, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_D3 View Post
Thanks Bob, I will try those. I don't want to keep a monitor in my listening room on a long term basis. Instead, I may try to use a monitor on a short term basis to figure out what commands I need to use on the remote to get to the correct track that I want to play on the DVD/SACD. I'm just somewhat surprised that to play a purely audio disc on the Oppo, I need to have a video monitor.
You need a monitor for navigation for the OPPO. Once you get things going, either hit the Pure Audio on the remote or just turn off the monitor.

Last edited by Mongo171; Yesterday at 07:54 AM.
post #12913 of 12919 Unread Yesterday, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
You need a monitor for navigation for the OPPO. Once you get things going, either hit the Pure Audio on the remote or just turn off the monitor.

I use the TV as a monitor. If I hit the Pure Audio using a digital coax (S/PDIF) 2 channel input from PC, will I still be able to apply bass management and get a 2.1 analog output?
post #12914 of 12919 Unread Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. Pure Audio mutes the video to black and turns off the Front Panel display. It has no affect on audio processing.

You can use the Light button (lower right on the Remote) to illuminate the Front Panel display for a few seconds if you need to check time code or track number.
--Bob

post #12915 of 12919 Unread Yesterday, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Once you get things going, either hit the Pure Audio on the remote or just turn off the monitor.
I use the Pure Audio mode whenever my plasma is on when listening to music. It's a great feature on the Oppo players and one that I use all the time.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12916 of 12919 Unread Today, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmachine View Post
Hoping this issue hasn't been posted:

Picked up an OTA Tivo and cannot receive picture and sound simultaneously. Tivo HDMI to both 105's front and back inputs does not have sound. When I try Digital audio, there is sound but no picture. I troubleshot with an HDMI direct to LG display and it worked fine.

Frustrating as I have a DTV that works fine through the 105 via HDMI.

Suggestions?

thanks
Mike
I have a Tivo OTA Romeo as well. If my memory is correct, I did try the HDMI input of the Oppo (in the back) and it worked fine - except I had an issue with lip synch. Then I wired the HDMI of the Tivo directly to my TV, and wired the Tivo's audio optical output to Oppo's optical input. This solved the lip synch issue. This also has another benefit: I can also just watch TV without having to turn on the Oppo and get sound from my TV's built-in speakers. Why? Sometimes I just want to watch the news and don't feel like turning on my entire audio system.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #12917 of 12919 Unread Today, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Howard

ugh -- well that makes it all the more frustrating - I wish it was just lip sync because at least there is sound and a picture.
You connected the dig out to the one nearest the power cable then activated through input select? (not in front of it right now)
I do this and I lose picture..
post #12918 of 12919 Unread Today, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpy20 View Post
Hi Howard

You connected the dig out to the one nearest the power cable then activated through input select? (not in front of it right now)
I do this and I lose picture..
Yes, Tivo has a digital (optical) audio output. Connect that to the Oppo's optical digital input. Also connect Tivo's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI input.

Then turn on your TV and choose the proper input (HDMI input coming from Tivo) and turn down the TV's volume control all the way. Turn on your Oppo and your audio system. Use the input button button on your Oppo remote and choose the optical input. This should bring you picture and sound in perfect harmony!

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #12919 of 12919 Unread Today, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got it -- the TV's HDMI and not the Oppo's
I'll try that tonight

thanks!