Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 436 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 392Likes
post #13051 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I understand, although, since the reason for this purchase is to ensure optimal sound quality in the playback of cd and SACD's, the 105 is really needed,

John
Ok. I just didn't get the feeling from your previous posts that you were going to use the 105's analog outputs because you were concerned about using an external DAC and digital outputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13052 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Ok. I just didn't get the feeling from your previous posts that you were going to use the 105's analog outputs because you were concerned about using an external DAC and digital outputs.
Sorry about the confusion, Dan. I was referencing using an external DAC only as a remotely hopeful means of possibly routing a Blu Ray music disc's audio to my main music system. I know that isn't possible with SACD's, and the 105 will be more than adequate, on it's own, for cd s via it's own DAC.

John
post #13053 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
What about a REALLY long HDMI cable through the wall/ceiling?

Believe me, I would go to those kind of lengths but I doubt the 105's remote would work from another room, amongst other issues! Honestly, knowing I have a far superior Blu Ray player, especially with Darbee that is just sitting in my music system, unavailable to my home theater, will be very frustrating. Given the setup in the two rooms, it simply wouldn't be feasible to disconnect and move it back and forth, either.

John
post #13054 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 109
You could use either a long hdmi cable or xlrs and the oppo app for control
post #13055 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks. I'm new to the 105 and a little dated in my A/V savvy, so go easy on me... I've read well over a hundred pages of the thread and, while it's all great content, I did kind of glaze over after a while. I have a 105 arriving in a couple days and it's only just dawned on me that my connection scenario may be a challenge.

Here's what I have: an older Denon 2809ci reciever. A pair of Simaudio W6 monoblock amps. A Panasonic plasma. And a minicomputer running Kodi as my only video source, backended by a NAS. And speakers obviously.

My primary desire for the 105 is redbook audio playback. I have no particular desire for multichannel audio listening. I'm pleased with my video capabilities using Kodi and generally rip or record all my video material so it's unlikely I'll ever use the 105 for its bluray or dvd handling. However it may be worthwhile running my Kodi HDMI output through the 105 for superior video processing, Darby etc and then to the Denon for audio processing.

I currently use the Denon's analog outputs to feed the two monoblock amps via RCA ICs for RL speakers and its internal amps for other speakers. But I really would prefer to use the amp's XLR inputs and I understand connecting them this way to the 105 would provide the music audio nirvana I'm seeking, courtesy of the pure direct path and superior DACs that connection offers.

For audio from the video source however... this presents an obvious problem. I'm wondering if it's possible to connect my monoblocks to both the 105 via XLR and to the Denon as I have now. There could only ever be one signal source active at any given time - either XLR when playing CDs or RCA when playing video (Kodi->105->Denon via HDMI). Seems ideal, given my electronics ignorance... Can someone provide me an indication of how expensive a mistake this would be to connect? ;-)

Robert
post #13056 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Believe me, I would go to those kind of lengths but I doubt the 105's remote would work from another room, amongst other issues! Honestly, knowing I have a far superior Blu Ray player, especially with Darbee that is just sitting in my music system, unavailable to my home theater, will be very frustrating. Given the setup in the two rooms, it simply wouldn't be feasible to disconnect and move it back and forth, either.

John
As JimSatala77 suggested, there are a number of ways to deal with this.

For control of the player, Oppo's app could be used to control it over your home network. If you want to use the IR remote, there's the option of using an IR repeater (you run a cable between the 2 rooms and setup a remote IR receiver in the room the player isn't in).

For getting audio/video to the other room, there are various options for long HDMI cables, using cables with Redmere technology, HD-BaseT, etc. To get just analog audio to the other room, a long pair of XLR or RCA cables could be used. Which option would obviously depend on which room the player is put in.

So if you really want to use the player in both systems, there definitely are ways to make it happen.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #13057 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phydeaux View Post
Hi folks. I'm new to the 105 and a little dated in my A/V savvy, so go easy on me... I've read well over a hundred pages of the thread and, while it's all great content, I did kind of glaze over after a while. I have a 105 arriving in a couple days and it's only just dawned on me that my connection scenario may be a challenge.

Here's what I have: an older Denon 2809ci reciever. A pair of Simaudio W6 monoblock amps. A Panasonic plasma. And a minicomputer running Kodi as my only video source, backended by a NAS. And speakers obviously.

My primary desire for the 105 is redbook audio playback. I have no particular desire for multichannel audio listening. I'm pleased with my video capabilities using Kodi and generally rip or record all my video material so it's unlikely I'll ever use the 105 for its bluray or dvd handling. However it may be worthwhile running my Kodi HDMI output through the 105 for superior video processing, Darby etc and then to the Denon for audio processing.

I currently use the Denon's analog outputs to feed the two monoblock amps via RCA ICs for RL speakers and its internal amps for other speakers. But I really would prefer to use the amp's XLR inputs and I understand connecting them this way to the 105 would provide the music audio nirvana I'm seeking, courtesy of the pure direct path and superior DACs that connection offers.

For audio from the video source however... this presents an obvious problem. I'm wondering if it's possible to connect my monoblocks to both the 105 via XLR and to the Denon as I have now. There could only ever be one signal source active at any given time - either XLR when playing CDs or RCA when playing video (Kodi->105->Denon via HDMI). Seems ideal, given my electronics ignorance... Can someone provide me an indication of how expensive a mistake this would be to connect? ;-)

Robert
It's usually a bad idea to connect something to both the RCA and XLR inputs on an amp. Before even thinking about doing this, read the amp manual and if it isn't clear call the manufacturer to see if they recommend doing this.

But another option could be to eliminate the Denon receiver and use the volume control on the Oppo. The computer could be connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo and the Oppo could be connected directly to your amps. If you do this, make sure you setup the volume control on the Oppo for variable rather than fixed and make sure you start at a low volume level initially to figure out what a good output level is on the Oppo for your amp/speaker combo.
post #13058 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
As JimSatala77 suggested, there are a number of ways to deal with this.

For control of the player, Oppo's app could be used to control it over your home network. If you want to use the IR remote, there's the option of using an IR repeater (you run a cable between the 2 rooms and setup a remote IR receiver in the room the player isn't in).

For getting audio/video to the other room, there are various options for long HDMI cables, using cables with Redmere technology, HD-BaseT, etc. To get just analog audio to the other room, a long pair of XLR or RCA cables could be used. Which option would obviously depend on which room the player is put in.

So if you really want to use the player in both systems, there definitely are ways to make it happen.
Thanks GSR, I wasn't truly aware of the options I might have for dual use. The long HDMI cable shouldn't present that much of an issue. Using the Oppo app, could I control the 105 via my iPad, or my Android phone?

John
keikihula and JimSatala77 like this.
post #13059 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Thanks GSR, I wasn't truly aware of the options I might have for dual use. The long HDMI cable shouldn't present that much of an issue. Using the Oppo app, could I control the 105 via my iPad, or my Android phone?

John
Yes either work exactly the same
post #13060 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Yes either work exactly the same
Thank you Jim. Looks like I'll be able to have the best of both worlds now. My ideal was to have the 105 capable of sending Blu Ray video and sound to my downstairs home theater and act as a CD/SACD player in my upstairs music system. Great news!

Now the question is finding a 30 foot HDMI cable that will send 1080p signals that far.

John

Last edited by John Clark; Yesterday at 01:04 PM.
post #13061 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It's usually a bad idea to connect something to both the RCA and XLR inputs on an amp. Before even thinking about doing this, read the amp manual and if it isn't clear call the manufacturer to see if they recommend doing this.

But another option could be to eliminate the Denon receiver and use the volume control on the Oppo. The computer could be connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo and the Oppo could be connected directly to your amps. If you do this, make sure you setup the volume control on the Oppo for variable rather than fixed and make sure you start at a low volume level initially to figure out what a good output level is on the Oppo for your amp/speaker combo.
Thanks GSR, sounds like good advice. I did read the manual for the amps and it gave no indication regarding using both inputs. I'll send Simaudio a note for their advice.

With regard to eliminating the Denon, that may be perfectly acceptable if I had an addtional three amps for the center and rear surround speakers or if the Denon allows access to its internal amps for those channels - I'll have to investigate that. However, I do have a question about operation of the 105 in that configuration:

I somehow got the impression that the 105's XLR outputs were only active in pure direct two-channel mode and wouldn't be active when in the digital decoding modes (HDMI input selected). Thinking through this a bit, maybe that would be unusual unless it was a configuration option. If it's not and the XLR outputs are active no matter the input type, then my original idea wouldn't be option anyway (assuming the amps could use both input types) as the amp would see both the 105 XLR and Denon RCA signals when playing the HDMI source.

Could you clarify my muddled thinking in this regard?

Thank you and cheers...
Robert
post #13062 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Thank you Jim. Looks like I'll be able to have the best of both worlds now. My ideal was to have the 105 capable of sending Blu Ray video and sound to my downstairs home theater and act as a CD/SACD player in my upstairs music system. Great news!

Now the question is finding a 30 foot HDMI cable that will send 1080p signals that far.

John

I've been using this one for years without issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-UL...dge+hdmi+cable

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #13063 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
I've been using this one for years without issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-UL...dge+hdmi+cable

S~
Thanks. I would never have expected such an affordable cable to work so well. You may have saved me a bundle of money.

John
post #13064 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Thanks GSR, sounds like good advice. I did read the manual for the amps and it gave no indication regarding using both inputs. I'll send Simaudio a note for their advice.

With regard to eliminating the Denon, that may be perfectly acceptable if I had an addtional three amps for the center and rear surround speakers or if the Denon allows access to its internal amps for those channels - I'll have to investigate that. However, I do have a question about operation of the 105 in that configuration:

I somehow got the impression that the 105's XLR outputs were only active in pure direct two-channel mode and wouldn't be active when in the digital decoding modes (HDMI input selected). Thinking through this a bit, maybe that would be unusual unless it was a configuration option. If it's not and the XLR outputs are active no matter the input type, then my original idea wouldn't be option anyway (assuming the amps could use both input types) as the amp would see both the 105 XLR and Denon RCA signals when playing the HDMI source.

Could you clarify my muddled thinking in this regard?

Thank you and cheers...
Robert
All of the outputs on the Oppo players are active 24/7.
So, in theory, you could hook up HDMI, optical, RCA, XLR all at the same time and get audio and/or video
on all outputs, depending on the material being played and what equipment you have the outputs plugged into.
You also have the ability to turn the HDMI audio OFF if you are going to use the analog audio and not the digital audio output.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #13065 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
With regard to eliminating the Denon, that may be perfectly acceptable if I had an addtional three amps for the center and rear surround speakers or if the Denon allows access to its internal amps for those channels - I'll have to investigate that.
If the Denon has a multi-channel analog input, you could send the Oppo's center and surround outputs through it. Find a volume level on the Denon that allows you to balance the output level of all channels on the Oppo and leave it there. Use the Oppo's volume control to adjust the volume from that point on.
post #13066 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

Thank you both for your assistance, I think it's crystal clear now that utilizing the 105 as suggested by GSR will be the best option for me. I have validated that my Denon does have analog inputs, so I should be good to go.

Looking forward to the 105 arriving.

Cheers!
Robert

RLW
post #13067 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Just read a comment from a CNET review that the current standard for HDMI only rates 1080P signals for a 25 foot maximum. Should I be concerned?

John
post #13068 of 13070 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I have a 35 ft. run without issue, even with 3D.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #13069 of 13070 Old Today, 03:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Just read a comment from a CNET review that the current standard for HDMI only rates 1080P signals for a 25 foot maximum. Should I be concerned?

John
I would say "be aware". If HDMI displays flakey behavior then long cable length is one of the things to consider.

People have had good results with Monoprice Redmere cables for long runs. They employ additional chips to boost the distance. (I have not used one myself).

-Bill
JimSatala77 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #13070 of 13070 Unread Today, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

John
You can go to monoprice and look for 'redmere' hdmi cables, They have 30ft to 50ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page