Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 440 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 413Likes

post #13171 of 13191 Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Can the oppo not play encrypted m2ts files?
No, it will not. That's the whole point of copy protection. You can't copy the files without a decryption step.

You say you already use AnyDVD HD to decrypt other m2ts files; just do the same with these.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13172 of 13191 Old 08-11-2015, 04:48 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky301067 View Post
I was contemplating selling on my 105 to get ready for their Ultra HD Blu-ray player, I might hang onto it a bit longer until till the dust settles if that's the case!

Will any of you guys be thinking of jumping ship if you decide to go 4K, when the new Ultra HD players start rolling out around Christmas time?
Nope it will be not until end of 2016 or 2017 when movies worth seeing will become available and priced reasonably!
post #13173 of 13191 Old 08-12-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 125
And all the needed chipsets are sorted out and working properly.

post #13174 of 13191 Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I'll be ready, in 2017, to get my new UHD Oppo Blu-ray player. ...For now, UHD is not even here and we are not out of the woods with all the issues that are coming up our way...look for a sandstorm on the horizon...it's going to be intense as the next blizzard coming up from our local dairy queen.

The 105 is here in the now...that's all it matters. And when the 115 shows up, we'll be here...with forks, knives and spoons.

* Regarding that minor "ghosting" disturbance on Netflix and the fix (from number 5 and number 8): I got it now.
I will wait alittle longer if only 3D could be added to ultra bluray player & tv's.
post #13175 of 13191 Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, x_machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5183 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post
I will wait alittle longer if only 3D could be added to ultra bluray player & tv's.
Bill, 3D UHD remains the domain of the amateur cineastes/documentary 3D visual composers, not from the Blu-ray Disc Association.

It takes guys like James Cameron to move things around in the right direction. ...I think Avatar 2 is going to be another new eye opener for the movie and Blu-ray industry. Not many people have that extra visual flair, that extra-dimensional vision. ...In pushing the 3D envelope/technology.

I think.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #13176 of 13191 Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 4202
Does the 105 actually have VARIABLE XLR outs driven by its remote that could be wired to a standalone amp and speakers while still having its HDMI feed a pre/pro for HT?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #13177 of 13191 Old 08-13-2015, 04:01 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
Does the 105 actually have VARIABLE XLR outs driven by its remote that could be wired to a standalone amp and speakers while still having its HDMI feed a pre/pro for HT?
Yes, just make sure you go into the Setup menus and set the analog output to variable instead of fixed and set the volume level to a low level (start at something like 5 and gradually turn it up until you find a reasonable listening level) BEFORE hooking your amp and speakers up to the XLR outputs.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #13178 of 13191 Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yes, just make sure you go into the Setup menus and set the analog output to variable instead of fixed and set the volume level to a low level (start at something like 5 and gradually turn it up until you find a reasonable listening level) BEFORE hooking your amp and speakers up to the XLR outputs.
Excellent advice!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk 1801-TLs, Salk 1801b center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #13179 of 13191 Old 08-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Shouldn't that say " just make sure you go into the Setup menus and set the analog output to variable instead of fixed and set the volume level to a low level (start at something like 5) BEFORE hooking your amp and speakers up to the XLR outputs and then gradually turn it up until you find a reasonable listening level."

I totally agree about setting the low volume level before turning the amp on but turning the volume up before hooking the amp and speakers to the XLR outputs won't let you hear anything so you can't decide what a reasonable listening level is.
post #13180 of 13191 Old 08-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
^ A much safer approach than grabbing the cables with wet hands and turning up the volume until your hair stands on end....
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13181 of 13191 Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
Shouldn't that say " just make sure you go into the Setup menus and set the analog output to variable instead of fixed and set the volume level to a low level (start at something like 5) BEFORE hooking your amp and speakers up to the XLR outputs and then gradually turn it up until you find a reasonable listening level."
Yeah, I probably should have worded it differently (I responded while waiting for some code to compile at work, which doesn't take long...), but I would hope the reader could figure that out...
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #13182 of 13191 Old 08-14-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 4202
Quote:
as I though, appreciate the confirmation

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #13183 of 13191 Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Yes. Set Stereo Output = FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and wire the dedicated XLR L/R outs in place of the RCA LF/RF outs of the multi-channel set. Be aware that by design the XLR outputs are +6dB hotter than the RCA outputs. Whatever you are connecting them to may provide a way to compensate for that (often a switch setting). Otherwise you will need to adjust for that in the speaker trims.

Set that way, the dedicated XLR L/R outs will respond to all the Speaker Configuration settings which would normally apply to the regular RCA LF/RF outs of the multi-channel set, including the SMALL choice.

At the other end of the cables, note that some AVRs will not be happy if you try to use XLR and RCA inputs at the same time. Check the Manual for the AVR.
--Bob
Hi bob!

ok so you mean i should gain the RCA outputs to 6+ to have the same output level as the XLR:s?

And the second question....on my 105D should i use HDMI 1 or 2? when connected straight to tv. is there any differences on the two outputs?

Thanks in advance.

//Mike
post #13184 of 13191 Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post
Hi bob!

ok so you mean i should gain the RCA outputs to 6+ to have the same output level as the XLR:s?
//Mike
Not Bob, but some, perhaps most, devices that can receive both XLR and RCA inputs pad the XLR input so you don't experience a 6 dB shift as you switch among inputs, so you should check the receiving unit before setting gain.

db
post #13185 of 13191 Old 08-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
Hi bob!

And the second question....on my 105D should i use HDMI 1 or 2? when connected straight to tv. is there any differences on the two outputs?

Thanks in advance.

//Mike
It's better to drop the XLRs (set Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and set level trims for LF/RF -6dB) rather than raising all the other speaker channels if you find you need to make the adjustment using the speaker level trims in the OPPO. But as just posted above the first thing to check is whether your Amp already has an option for -6dB attenuation of XLR input -- often done by a switch setting at the sockets. If so, do the level matching that way.

I.e., start by checking levels using a calibration disc and an SPL meter -- I recommend the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray -- and only adjust if you find you need to.

As I mentioned, some AVRs and Amps won't be happy (won't work correctly) if you try to mix XLR and RCA inputs when cabling multi-channel Analog. So check that first in your Manual.

--------------------------------------

HDMI 1 should always be your preferred choice for the cable intended to carry the video you will be watching. That's the output that gets you access to the video processing. For example, there's no Darbee processing on the video that goes out on HDMI 2 from your 105D.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 08-14-2015 at 10:39 AM.
post #13186 of 13191 Old 08-14-2015, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
It's better to drop the XLRs (set Stereo Signal = FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and set level trims for LF/RF -6dB) rather than raising all the other speaker channels if you find you need to make the adjustment using the speaker level trims in the OPPO. But as just posted above the first thing to check is whether your Amp already has an option for -6dB attenuation of XLR input -- often done by a switch setting at the sockets. If so, do the level matching that way.

I.e., start by checking levels using a calibration disc and an SPL meter -- I recommend the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray -- and only adjust if you find you need to.

As I mentioned, some AVRs and Amps won't be happy (won't work correctly) if you try to mix XLR and RCA inputs when cabling multi-channel Analog. So check that first in your Manual.

HDMI 1 should always be your preferred choice for the cable intended to carry the video you will be watching. That's the output that gets you access to the video processing. For example, there's no Darbee processing on the video that goes out on HDMI 2 from your 105D.
--Bob
I was under the impression that the darbee was applied to both outputs when set to dual and that it was limited to hdmi input 1...the reason I saythis is because i can adjust the darbee while watching thru hdmi output 2 and that id the only output that i can get to output bitstream dsd and dtshd/dolby true?
I only use 1 hdmi out because of my processor and I really would like to get the facts because the handbook mentions hdmi inputs on the darbee and hdmi outputs for the bitstream
post #13187 of 13191 Old 08-14-2015, 11:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
I was under the impression that the darbee was applied to both outputs when set to dual and that it was limited to hdmi input 1...the reason I saythis is because i can adjust the darbee while watching thru hdmi output 2 and that id the only output that i can get to output bitstream dsd and dtshd/dolby true?
I only use 1 hdmi out because of my processor and I really would like to get the facts because the handbook mentions hdmi inputs on the darbee and hdmi outputs for the bitstream
On the BDP-103D, both HDMI outputs can handle bitstreaming DSD. There are no output limitations for Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio - both HDMI outputs can bitstream those. As Bob said, only HDMI output #1 can utilize Darbee processing. If you're only using 1 HDMI output, use HDMI output #1 and you'll be all set. The Dual vs Split A/V output setting only applies if you have both outputs connected to active devices.
post #13188 of 13191 Old 08-15-2015, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

--Bob
Hi!

about the XLR and RCA used mixed on my amp the owners manual tells me this.

"Each input may be independently switched to either unbalanced or balanced" unit is Sherbourn 5-200.

So looks like there is no problem there.

Can you specify why it is better to lower the output lever on the XLR:s rather than gain the RCA:s? is it because of some distortion issue?

Thanks in advance.

//Mike
post #13189 of 13191 Old 08-15-2015, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Can you specify why it is better to lower the output lever on the XLR:s rather than gain the RCA:s? is it because of some distortion issue?
Yes, distortion. There's a Note in the manual which says "Increasing the Trim Level above 0dB may result in distortion if the original audio level is already high. When this occurs the waveform becomes clipped and audible distortion cane heard. In this situation, it is necessary to reduce the Trim Level until the distortion is removed. When using the Trim Level for speakers, it is recommended that you set the least sensitive speaker's trim Level to 0dB, and set the other speakers' Trim Level to negative values."
post #13190 of 13191 Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi!

about the XLR and RCA used mixed on my amp the owners manual tells me this.

"Each input may be independently switched to either unbalanced or balanced" unit is Sherbourn 5-200.
If the manual tells you that I think it's pretty likely the unit attenuates balanced inputs so the level doesn't change as you select among inputs. I'd start by not trimming the output of the Oppo to accommodate balanced connections.

db
post #13191 of 13191 Old Today, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

5 v trigger from USB for amp

When I asked Bob about a 5 v trigger for an amp derived from USB, he suggested some posters had done it and that I post here. Is there anyone out there who has built such a trigger cable, and would you be willing to build another for pay? I want to trigger a Proceed HPA amp from an Oppo 95. Right now I go from a 95 balanced to an HPA 3 that drives a pair of KEF LS50s. I could add a Proceed PAV (analog preamp) to the loop to provide a trigger. The unused PAV and PDSD are already in the rack, but I had planned to remove them as part of a declutter.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page