Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 442 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 465Likes

Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 AM
DAB
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmahid View Post
Can some rationally informed soul tell me definitively the sonic advantages of xlr vs. rca? I have a moderately decent system consisting of PSB Synchrony Ones driven by an integrated NAD M3 amp plus Oppo 105 as my source. The distance between the Oppo and my amp using highly rated rca interconnects is less then 3 feet. I listen to lossless & hi-res music via usb, Sacds, CDs and hard-wired streaming flacs. The sound is exceptional, but am tempted to try xlr just for the heck of it...though it seems to be a 'cool' rather then tangible option. Anyone...?

I too have a modest 5.1 system; PSB Silver Stratus> Oppo 105> Denon X3100.
I had just recently > PSB Silver Stratus >Oppo 105 {using XLR > 2 ch. pre amp> XLR/RCA to a Denon 3803} I also experimented with the RCA & XLR to see any sonic differences- could not find any. 3’ from Denon to Oppo.
With the new AVR - I have run just HDMI- still have not found any major difference is Sound quality. Thou, I have only had the new AVR for only a month. I think Audyssey contributes to the over all more accurate SQ.
db

Last edited by DAB; 09-15-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I'm checking out the dbpoweramp page now. It looks perfect for my needs. I was/am curious how ripped CDs get properly classified by artist/album on my DLNA server, but I guess this software makes that process simple. Very cool.

I'll report back and let others know how this software worked for me. I love the free trial, so I can take it for a spin (pun intended!).
Your physical organization of your music on your NAS (directory/file names) is up to you, which is what CD ripping software will create on your hard drive. This will be something simple like a directory created based on the artist's name, then subdirectories of the artist's Albums, followed by audio files/cover art within the Album directories. However, that's just the physical structure. A DLNA server uses embedded tags in each of your audio/video files to create its own relational directory structure based on artist, album, genre, etc and uses that to categorize/index your media. This bookkeeping is only as good as the accuracy of each your audio files' embedded data tags. You can still use your physical directory structure to push media to your Oppo player, but that's not how the DLNA server sees your media.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	424EECE7-6CDB-423A-9813-ACA9FF7EDE12.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	941498  

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-15-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclaw View Post
BTW do you guys rip Blu rays?
I have all my Blu Rays on my NAS and just stream them. I guess it all depends on your preference and how much space you have.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Your physical organization of your music on your NAS (directory/file names) is up to you, which is what CD ripping software will create on your hard drive. This will be something simple like a directory created based on the artist's name, then subdirectories of the artist's Albums, followed by audio files/cover art within the Album directories. However, that's just the physical structure. A DLNA server uses embedded tags in each of your audio/video files to create its own relational directory structure based on artist, album, genre, etc and uses that to categorize/index your media. This bookkeeping is only as good as the accuracy of each your audio files' embedded data tags. You can still use your physical directory structure to push media to your Oppo player, but that's not how the DLNA server sees your media.
Dan, that thumbnail photo you attached, what is that running on an iPad?? I assume it is some sort of app??
Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
An iOS app called Creation 5 has thousands of internet radio stations you can stream to your Oppo player. Not sure there is a free trial offer for the Creation 5 app, but it's a cool interface that will look for any DLNA servers and media renderers(Oppo player) on your home network and push networked media to your renderers for playback.

Dan: just downloaded this on your recommendation. I can see all the sources, but how do I push to play via the Oppo??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Bryston Model T, Mini-T Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIKED View Post
I have all my Blu Rays on my NAS and just stream them. I guess it all depends on your preference and how much space you have.
If you have this mastered would you please PM your workflow to me. I tried MKV it took over an hour to copy Reds 2 and then I had alphabet soup of files and no play structure. I need the second step.

Thank you
Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Dan, that thumbnail photo you attached, what is that running on an iPad?? I assume it is some sort of app??
Yes. It's an iPad....that's the Creation 5 app I was telling you and others about.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Dan: just downloaded this on your recommendation. I can see all the sources, but how do I push to play via the Oppo??
Sorry...I was away for a while. So, did you select your Oppo player from the list of available "players" in the upper right corner of the app? Once selected, then you need to select your "Source", which would be your network drive (NAS or PC drive). In order for the app to see this drive, you need a DLNA media server running on you home network. I just got an update to the C5 app tonight....looks like they added a new search feature by cover art...I'll have to give this a try.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A4D16CC9-F9F2-4C3B-81D4-AF6F00344D7C.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	942546  

Last edited by DanF8500; 09-15-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry...I was away for a while. So, did you select your Oppo player from the list of available "players" in the upper right corner of the app? Once selected, then you need to select your "Source", which would be your network drive (NAS or PC drive). In order for the app to see this drive, you need a DLNA media server running on you home network.

Yes, I can see that, which is the same as using Control 5 as a control point. The Oppo Media Control app can do that. I was trying to get the radio stations on Control 5 to play via the Oppo. I couldn't see how to do that. Any clues?

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Bryston Model T, Mini-T Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
Old 09-15-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I can see that, which is the same as using Control 5 as a control point. The Oppo Media Control app can do that. I was trying to get the radio stations on Control 5 to play via the Oppo. I couldn't see how to do that.
I wonder if you need to add another component to C5 to see "Radio" Stations.....It has been a while since I bought the app....not sure if you can see what I'm seeing....see my attachment below....I just click "Radio".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04F704D0-02B7-4702-9EA8-7D5FA97F0374.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	942554  
Old 09-15-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I wonder if you need to add another component to C5 to see "Radio" Stations.....It has been a while since I bought the app....not sure if you can see what I'm seeing....see my attachment below....I just click "Radio".

I see the radio stations, and they will play to my McIntosh MX121 (AirPlay). I can't see how the Oppo plays when selected. Is there something that I have to do on the Oppo?

Thanks for your help!

My current SACD list
Old 09-15-2015, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I see the radio stations, and they will play to my McIntosh MX121 (AirPlay). I can't see how the Oppo plays when selected. Is there something that I have to do on the Oppo?

Thanks for your help!
Not sure I'm following you. When you're pushing radio stations to your Oppo player, you don't really see anything happening on the C5 app, except the radio station is in play mode. I don't think you even get current song playing on the app screen (I don't know why this is), like I would when I'm playing stations from my iPad. If you look at the front display of your Oppo player, you should see the seconds counter counting forward to tell you the station is playing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	46739536-7E31-49EF-800C-7C7FB104E69D.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	942562  
Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure I'm following you. When you're pushing radio stations to your Oppo player, you don't really see anything happening on the C5 app, except the radio station is in play mode. I don't think you even get current song playing on the app screen (I don't know why this is), like I would when I'm playing stations from my iPad. If you look at the front display of your Oppo player, you should see the seconds counter counting forward to tell you the station is playing.

After a couple of reboots of the Oppo 105D, it's working. Thanks!

My current SACD list
Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I use DBPowerAmp to rip to FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) which, by default, organizes them to artist/album folders. For simplicity, you can rip to the Apple equivalent, ALAC.

- Rich
I just downloaded the Trial of dBpoweramp.

What settings do you folks use??

I'm assuming you folks here rip to FLAC, which encoding do you use??

The Default compression lossless level Number 5, the highest is losseless level number 8 or the "Lossless Uncompressed", which is above #8 ?

I'm guessing best to use Losseless Uncompresed ??

--

Compression affects how much effort goes into compressing the audio, all compression modes give the same decoded audio (it is lossless after all), the higher compression levels will give a small % file size saving, but will require more time to compress and decompress. Compression Level 0 requires the least compression time, whilst Compression Level 8 the most. Uncompressed is a special compression mode with stores 16 bit audio in an uncompressed state.

------------

Thx!!

Last edited by Cain; 09-19-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:

The Default compression lossless level Number 5, the highest is losseless level number 8 or the "Lossless Uncompressed", which is above #8 ?

I'm guessing best to use Losseless Uncompresed ??

--

Compression affects how much effort goes into compressing the audio, all compression modes give the same decoded audio (it is lossless after all), the higher compression levels will give a small % file size saving, but will require more time to compress and decompress. Compression Level 0 requires the least compression time, whilst Compression Level 8 the most. Uncompressed is a special compression mode with stores 16 bit audio in an uncompressed state.

------------

Thx!!

I use FLAC but ALAC is essentailly the same level of Lossless compression and both have the advantage of allowing track meta data to be embedded.
I used the default FLAC 5 since it made little difference to the file size.

- Rich
Cain likes this.

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15
Old 09-22-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm sorry to be a pain but how do you see the audio information on the player for the file being played? I am after the file type and or bit rate when it is being pushed to oppo over dlna server.

I always thought that you hit the info button while playing a file but mine doesn't do anything and not sure why.

Is that correct?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

You need to stay with the default compression setting (ie: 5). The last time I checked the Oppo struggled to play Flac files using 7 and 8...
Cain likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
You need to stay with the default compression setting (ie: 5). The last time I checked the Oppo struggled to play Flac files using 7 and 8...
I don't think I've tried 7 or 8, but I rip mine at 6 and they play fine.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I don't think I've tried 7 or 8, but I rip mine at 6 and they play fine.
The compression setting is just that. It has nothing to do with quality, it just determines how much time you spend compressing. In reality it makes no difference other than you can save a few MB of space with more compression. The Oppo has no issues playing all the above.
Cain and JimSatala77 like this.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclaw View Post
If you have this mastered would you please PM your workflow to me. I tried MKV it took over an hour to copy Reds 2 and then I had alphabet soup of files and no play structure. I need the second step.

Thank you
I Use CloneBD and its works great in combination with anydvdhd.. I have almost 46TB of uncompressed BDMV and DVD ifo's I know what you are talking about with the 100's of clips per film I had that problem before i got clone bd I was using jriver and it did that
Old 09-27-2015, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi All - I've been away from AVS for a while now, but my AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-57 -- not the UE22 issue) just died and I may not want to repair/replace it.

I don't want to necessarily re-open any old discussions, but I did a quick scan of the forum (it's huge!) and couldn't find any recent comments on my topic.

Anyway - how have people's general experiences been using the 105 as a pre-amp? Have there been any specific power amp compatibility issues? I'll need to use an HDMI switcher in front of the 105's input - have there been any specific compatibility issues with switchers? Any recommendations on a switcher (how's the MonoPrice stuff)?

I realize I'll give up automated DSP room calibration making the switch to the Oppo, but I did find there was a ton of other features on the AVR that I just never used. I have a pretty simple set up, so if I can get away with the 105 as the pre-amp that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
JD
Old 09-27-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_alpha View Post
Hi All - I've been away from AVS for a while now, but my AVR (Pioneer Elite SC-57 -- not the UE22 issue) just died and I may not want to repair/replace it.

I don't want to necessarily re-open any old discussions, but I did a quick scan of the forum (it's huge!) and couldn't find any recent comments on my topic.

Anyway - how have people's general experiences been using the 105 as a pre-amp? Have there been any specific power amp compatibility issues? I'll need to use an HDMI switcher in front of the 105's input - have there been any specific compatibility issues with switchers? Any recommendations on a switcher (how's the MonoPrice stuff)?

I realize I'll give up automated DSP room calibration making the switch to the Oppo, but I did find there was a ton of other features on the AVR that I just never used. I have a pretty simple set up, so if I can get away with the 105 as the pre-amp that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
JD
I use my 105 as a preamp. Works fine. Just make sure the OPPO output won't blow the input of your amp.

I assume you're asking about an HDMI switch. I used one for about a minute (or thereabouts) and I had no problem with it. Just didn't like that I couldn't control it with a remote. I'm disabled and going to the TV stand to make adjustments is a pain. I like Monoprice stuff. Shouldn't have any problem with it.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra X2 (BIG BADA BOOM); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So has anyone figured out how to trigger amplifiers to come on when using this with no reciever? I tried using one of the USBs but it didn't trigger the amps to come on.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:19 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
So has anyone figured out how to trigger amplifiers to come on when using this with no reciever? I tried using one of the USBs but it didn't trigger the amps to come on.

Did you try USB2 (rear)? I believe that one powers with the unit.
If so, then you might try contacting Emotiva and make sure the ET-3 can trigger on with 5 volts.
f so, that should work.

- Rich

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by RichB; 09-30-2015 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks Mongo.

I thought I would have seen more responses - maybe the 105D thread is more active?

If I were to use the 105 as a pre, and I went with a 5.1 set-up with a single power amp, would there be any advantage to hooking up the FL and FR to the dedicated stereo outs and the rest of the channels to the multi-outs on the 105? I won't ask about mixing the balanced stereo and unbalanced multi-outs as I think I already read somewhere that that's a no-no. I'm going to have short cable runs in any case. I've been playing around with a pretty high-end guitar rig, and in that context balanced connections make a lot of sense. I'm less convinced about their use in consumer audio given the electronics noise floor is so much lower to begin with.

The last few posts here also reminded me to ask - Do power amps nowadays generally come with remote controls? I haven't owned a power amp since like the mid-90's!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
I thought I would have seen more responses - maybe the 105D thread is more active?

If I were to use the 105 as a pre, and I went with a 5.1 set-up with a single power amp, would there be any advantage to hooking up the FL and FR to the dedicated stereo outs and the rest of the channels to the multi-outs on the 105? I won't ask about mixing the balanced stereo and unbalanced multi-outs as I think I already read somewhere that that's a no-no. I'm going to have short cable runs in any case. I've been playing around with a pretty high-end guitar rig, and in that context balanced connections make a lot of sense. I'm less convinced about their use in consumer audio given the electronics noise floor is so much lower to begin with.
Yes, you should use the dedicated stereo outs for FL and FR. Just make sure you go into the setup menu and configure them as FL & FR instead of the default stereo or you'll end up with a 2 channel downmix that duplicates the content from the sides and surrounds into the FL and FR. The DAC board for the dedicated outputs is better than the one for the multichannel outputs - same DAC chip, but implemented better.

Quote:
The last few posts here also reminded me to ask - Do power amps nowadays generally come with remote controls? I haven't owned a power amp since like the mid-90's!
Power amps don't come with remote controls as they're just amps. You may want to explore using the rear USB output on the Oppo to trigger the amp on and off.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Power amps don't come with remote controls as they're just amps. You may want to explore using the rear USB output on the Oppo to trigger the amp on and off.
Parasound amps come with an audio trigger option I find convenient. You miss the first few seconds of sound unless you can repeat the source, but everything we listen to is recorded so it's not a problem to replay a second or so. Once triggered on, there is a delay before the amp is triggered off when audio is not present. The audio trigger is especially useful for center and surround channels that often are not active.

db
Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Guys

Is there a link on this forum that talks about setting up a Mac mini to the 105D asynchronous USB?

Thanks much
Old 09-30-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
None of them worked for me Rich. Tried them all.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhenson View Post
None of them worked for me Rich. Tried them all.

What are your amp(s)?

Do you have anything that you can plug into the USB1/2 ports in the rear to see if there is power?
Any USB device with an LED would do.

If the USB output is working, then it may be that your amps require more than 5 volts to turn on.
In that case, you could wire to a device like the ET-3 and let it generate 12 volt triggers for your amps.

- Rich

Last edited by RichB; 09-30-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player