Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 445 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 482Likes

Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
The dedicated stereo DAC has both XLR and RCA connections for output. If you are connecting multichannel analog outputs and you want to use the dedicated stereo DAC for L and R stereo output, what you do is:

- connect the dedicated stereo RCA outputs on the 105 to the front L and front R inputs on your receiver;

- connect the other channel RCA outputs from the 105's multichannel outs to the other channel inputs on your receiver. Do not make any connections from the front L and front R multichannel outs.

- In the Audio Processing Setup section of the Setup Menu, scroll down to "Stereo Signal" and set that to "Front Left/Right".

That gives you multichannel output with the front left and right channels being handled by the dedicated stereo DAC.

You have an alternative option available. That is to connect all channels of the multichannel output to a multichannel input on your receiver AND ALSO to connect the dedicated stereo RCA outs on the 105 to a separate stereo set of inputs on your receiver. Both sets of outputs are active at all times. If you connect this way you set the "Stereo Signal" setting to "Down-mixed Stereo". Now you get normal multichannel output going to one input on your receiver and a stereo only output going to another input on your receiver. Select the receiver's multichannel input when you're watching video from the 105 and select the receiver's stereo input when you're playing stereo music on the 105. You will not get the advantage of the better quality stereo DAC output while watching video with this option, only with music.

In all probability you will want to do the first setup described but there are situations where the second option has advantages, especially for people using a pre-processor or receiver for video and a separate pre-amp/integrated amp for a stereo system since the second setup method allows the connection of 2 different systems.
Is it possible my Marantz 7008 does not have a seperate front/left audio in? I am just seeing the front/left in the 7.1 audio input. There is an audio in labeled phono next to the analog 7.1 input, could that be used? Probably a dumb question, but I don't see any other audio inputs on back panel.
Rick

RickP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPas View Post
Is it possible my Marantz 7008 does not have a seperate front/left audio in? I am just seeing the front/left in the 7.1 audio input. There is an audio in labeled phono next to the analog 7.1 input, could that be used? Probably a dumb question, but I don't see any other audio inputs on back panel.
Rick
You have 5 sets of 2-ch analog audio inputs just to the left of the phono input on the 7008.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
You have 5 sets of 2-ch analog audio inputs just to the left of the phono input on the 7008.
I know I have the 5.1 audio inputs, but the poster had told me for dedicated stereo not to use the Front/Left input in the analog section, but to use a seperate stereo input and set the oppo to stereo in the set up menu..
Rick

RickP.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know I have the 5.1 audio inputs, but the poster had told me for dedicated stereo not to use the Front/Left input in the analog section, but to use a seperate stereo input and set the oppo to stereo in the set up menu..
Rick
DanF do you mean the inputs that are labeled cd, dvd, etc? If that is the case does that mean I can connect the front/left dedicated stereo rca from the oppo analog to any of the audio assigned inputseven if they are labeled, and use them for my front and left stereo input?
Thanks,
Rick

RickP.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
DanF do you mean the inputs that are labeled cd, dvd, etc? If that is the case does that mean I can connect the front/left dedicated stereo rca from the oppo analog to any of the audio assigned inputs even if they are labeled, and use them for my front and left stereo input?
Thanks,
Rick
They could be labeled Manny, Moe, and Jack, or Tutti Fruitti....it doesn't matter! That is what they are used for; 2-ch input.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Rick
First, I did not tell you to do what you said I told you. What I told you was that there were 2 ways you could connect, that you had a choice, and I also said that you would probably use the other method of connecting.

Second, a 2 channel input is a stereo input. If it has a different identifying name to the other inputs then it is a separate stereo input.

I'm not familiar with your receiver and I did not try looking it up or checking its connections. I gave general advice figuring you could work it out from there. If it only has 5.1 audio outputs, the 2 options I gave you need to be modified as follows:

Option 1 - a single multichannel connection:

- connect the dedicated stereo DAC outputs on the 105 to front left and front right of a 5.1 set of analog inputs;
- connect the centre, left surround, right surround, and sub of the multichannel DAC outputs on the 105 to the other inputs of the same set of analog inputs on the receiver;
- set Stereo Signal setting in the 105's Audio Processing menu to "Front Left/Right".

In the Speaker Configurations settings in the Audio Processing menu, you will also need to set the Down Mix mode to 5.1 channel. I did not mention this in my previous post because I assumed you would be making a 7.1 channel set of connections.

What you are also going to have to do is to set channel trims and a crossover frequency and you have a choice between doing that in the Oppo or in the receiver. Your choice, just follow the instructions for the component that you choose to use. Do not do these settings in both devices.

Option 2- a 5.1 multichannel connection for video and a separate 2 channel connection for music.

- connect the front left, front right, centre, surround left, surround right and sub outputs of the multichannel outputs on the 105 to a single set of 5.1 analog inputs on your receiver,
- connect the stereo RCA outputs from the dedicated stereo DAC in the 105 to a separate 2 channel set of analog inputs on your receiver
- set Stereo Signal setting in the 105's Audio Processing menu to "Down-mixed Stereo".
- in the Speaker Configurations settings in the Audio Processing menu, you will also need to set the Down Mix mode to 5.1 channel.

You are also going to have to set channel trims and a crossover frequency for the multichannel connection and you have the same choice of doing that in the Oppo or in the receiver. Your choice as before, just follow the instructions for the component that you choose to use. Do not do these settings in both devices.

Now, as I said above, what I am telling you is that these are the 2 ways you can choose to connect a 105 to your receiver. You can't connect both ways, it has to be one or the other. It is your choice as to which one you select, I am not telling you which way to do it. It is up to you to work out which of the 2 ways best meets your needs and how you want to use your system. A 105/105D can be a challenging device to connect because it provides options that most other players do not and that means that you have to make choices. I left those choices to you in my earlier post, and I'm still leaving them to you in this post.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
First, I did not tell you to do what you said I told you. What I told you was that there were 2 ways you could connect, that you had a choice, and I also said that you would probably use the other method of connecting.

Second, a 2 channel input is a stereo input. If it has a different identifying name to the other inputs then it is a separate stereo input.

I'm not familiar with your receiver and I did not try looking it up or checking its connections. I gave general advice figuring you could work it out from there. If it only has 5.1 audio outputs, the 2 options I gave you need to be modified as follows:

Option 1 - a single multichannel connection:

- connect the dedicated stereo DAC outputs on the 105 to front left and front right of a 5.1 set of analog inputs;
- connect the centre, left surround, right surround, and sub of the multichannel DAC outputs on the 105 to the other inputs of the same set of analog inputs on the receiver;
- set Stereo Signal setting in the 105's Audio Processing menu to "Front Left/Right".

In the Speaker Configurations settings in the Audio Processing menu, you will also need to set the Down Mix mode to 5.1 channel. I did not mention this in my previous post because I assumed you would be making a 7.1 channel set of connections.

What you are also going to have to do is to set channel trims and a crossover frequency and you have a choice between doing that in the Oppo or in the receiver. Your choice, just follow the instructions for the component that you choose to use. Do not do these settings in both devices.

Option 2- a 5.1 multichannel connection for video and a separate 2 channel connection for music.

- connect the front left, front right, centre, surround left, surround right and sub outputs of the multichannel outputs on the 105 to a single set of 5.1 analog inputs on your receiver,
- connect the stereo RCA outputs from the dedicated stereo DAC in the 105 to a separate 2 channel set of analog inputs on your receiver
- set Stereo Signal setting in the 105's Audio Processing menu to "Down-mixed Stereo".
- in the Speaker Configurations settings in the Audio Processing menu, you will also need to set the Down Mix mode to 5.1 channel.

You are also going to have to set channel trims and a crossover frequency for the multichannel connection and you have the same choice of doing that in the Oppo or in the receiver. Your choice as before, just follow the instructions for the component that you choose to use. Do not do these settings in both devices.

Now, as I said above, what I am telling you is that these are the 2 ways you can choose to connect a 105 to your receiver. You can't connect both ways, it has to be one or the other. It is your choice as to which one you select, I am not telling you which way to do it. It is up to you to work out which of the 2 ways best meets your needs and how you want to use your system. A 105/105D can be a challenging device to connect because it provides options that most other players do not and that means that you have to make choices. I left those choices to you in my earlier post, and I'm still leaving them to you in this post.
Thanks David for the time and help you have put into this, I will figure out what will work best for me. You have given me alot to digest, that's why you got to love this forum, there is so much to learn with upgrading to new and better equipment. Really appreciate your help.
Rick
eljr likes this.

RickP.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

RickP, if I were you, and had a 7008, I'd want to use Audyssey on it. Wouldn't you? If so, why use Oppo's multi-ch analog outputs? It's better to use the hdmi output of your Oppo player, so your 7008 gets a digital signal, and Audyssey can then be utilized. You can still use your 105's dedicated 2-ch analog outputs for CD's, SACD's, or 2-ch audio files to get the benefits of the 105's high quality DAC and associated hardware.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:45 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Rick
Um, take another look to the left of the Phono input and you should find 5 stereo analog inputs labeled CBL/SAT, DVD, Blu-ray, Media Player, and CD. And no, the Phono input cannot be used for this purpose as it has an additional phono preamp stage that would boost the signal too much from anything other than a turntable with a high output moving magnet cartridge.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
RickP, if I were you, and had a 7008, I'd want to use Audyssey on it. Wouldn't you? If so, why use Oppo's multi-ch analog outputs? It's better to use the hdmi output of your Oppo player, so your 7008 gets a digital signal, and Audyssey can then be utilized. You can still use your 105's dedicated 2-ch analog outputs for CD's, SACD's, or 2-ch audio files to get the benefits of the 105's high quality DAC and associated hardware.
That is exactly why I would want the 105 for 2ch analog Stereo playback. I listen to alot of music and my thinking is that the analog 2ch stereo playback will sound alot better than 2ch over HDMI even with my audyssey calibration. Well that is what I'm hoping for from all the reading up on the 105 that I have done. For video and multi channel music playback I would still be using the hdmi which seems will be about the same as what I have now. So is 2ch music over analog dac's worth the price of this player? Seems most people seem to think so....

RickP.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:16 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
That is exactly why I would want the 105 for 2ch analog Stereo playback. I listen to alot of music and my thinking is that the analog 2ch stereo playback will sound alot better than 2ch over HDMI even with my audyssey calibration. Well that is what I'm hoping for from all the reading up on the 105 that I have done. For video and multi channel music playback I would still be using the hdmi which seems will be about the same as what I have now. So is 2ch music over analog dac's worth the price of this player? Seems most people seem to think so....
Just make sure you buy the player from a seller, such as direct from Oppo, with a good return policy. Try listening to music both ways. If you prefer analog, keep the BDP-105. If you prefer HDMI or can't hear a difference, return the BDP-105, get a BDP-103, and do something fun with the extra money.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
Just to clarify:

I'm running the new Oppo beta software (with the Tidal icon) in conjunction with the Oppo Media app, which includes the Tidal player/app.

It's only the "stand alone" Tidal app that I'm having issues with. Playing Tidal through the Oppo 105 and Media player is spot on.

BTW, the two apps are practically identical, only the Oppo Media player includes all the other Oppo functions.
Ok, I spent some time on this and can confirm. Got the same results usng the stand alone tidal app on IPAD. Even after reloading and fooling around with it. Through Oppo works fine.

But, directing output to airplay still works perfectly. (....Broken record keeps playing.....)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollypoint View Post
Ok, I spent some time on this and can confirm. Got the same results usng the stand alone tidal app on IPAD. Even after reloading and fooling around with it. Through Oppo works fine.

But, directing output to airplay still works perfectly. (....Broken record keeps playing.....)
I deleted and reinstalled the Tidal app (stand alone version) from my iPhone (6) and all of "My Music" returned.

Not sure what's going on here but glad it finally worked itself out.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 7397
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
I deleted and reinstalled the Tidal app (stand alone version) from my iPhone (6) and all of "My Music" returned.

Not sure what's going on here but glad it finally worked itself out.
I love the mystery that lurks in the clouds

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone else seen this problem with an Oppo 105D and SACD's?

I have several hundred SACD's and the Oppo works great with most of them.

Earlier this year I found one disc, the new release of the Weezer (Blue Album) on SACD, that crashes the Oppo. Specifically, you put the disc in, it plays for 6 seconds (exactly 6 seconds each time), and then the Oppo locks up. I have to power the Oppo off and on (and eject the disc before it starts playing again) in order to get the Oppo working.

Thinking it was a bug (the Oppo shouldn't lock up in any situation, yes?) but wanting to test variables, I purchase a second copy of Weezer (Blue Album) SACD - exact same problem.

However I'd never seen this with any other disc in a relatively large SACD collection.

Yesterday I found a second disc: Big Guns: The Very Best of Rory Gallagher, disc 1 with the exact same problem. 6 seconds of playback, Oppo locks up.

So question is, has anyone else seen this, and if so or not, any suggestion on how to contact Oppo about it?

-v
Old 10-27-2015, 05:07 AM

Earlier this year I found one disc, the new release of the Weezer (Blue Album) on SACD, that crashes the Oppo. Specifically, you put the disc in, it plays for 6 seconds (exactly 6 seconds each time), and then the Oppo locks up. I have to power the Oppo off and on (and eject the disc before it starts playing again) in order to get the Oppo working.

Thinking it was a bug (the Oppo shouldn't lock up in any situation, yes?) but wanting to test variables, I purchase a second copy of Weezer (Blue Album) SACD - exact same problem.

However I'd never seen this with any other disc in a relatively large SACD collection.

Yesterday I found a second disc: Big Guns: The Very Best of Rory Gallagher, disc 1 with the exact same problem. 6 seconds of playback, Oppo locks up.

So question is, has anyone else seen this, and if so or not, any suggestion on how to contact Oppo about it?

-v
Old 10-27-2015, 05:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionik View Post
any suggestion on how to contact Oppo about it?
There is a contact form on their web page. Definitely get the info to them.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 10-27-2015, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionik View Post

-v
The achilles heel of this product is it's DLNA/JRiver interaction and freeze issues. That said, I have not had an SACD issue.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I hooked up the Oppo 105 to use as a preamp but the sub does not play.

What are some possible reasons?

Old 10-29-2015, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 10-29-2015, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Speakers set to Small and set Subwoofer to On in Speaker Config? Set xo freq? Turn sub On? Sitting in a null?

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Old 10-29-2015, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Speakers set to Small and set Subwoofer to On in Speaker Config? Set xo freq? Turn sub On? Sitting in a null?
sitting in a null?

all others things have been done. Even turned the trim to 10.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dudley View Post
Hi Forum Members
I just returned to Denmark, where I live permanently, with a new BDP-105D for my home theater.

The player is hooked up to my broadband ethernet, so I'm able to use the Home Menu to stream Netfliks’ films (via an Onkyo 876 amplifier and Sony 3D SXRD Projector VPL-HW40ES) from the Danish Netfliks.

As you may know, Netfliks has different DNS codes for different regions around the world, some--for example, the US Netfliks--are a lot better in terms of assortment and newer viewings than others.

To access Nefliks US from Denmark, I have used my computer to stream to the projector, using a free app called Hola (see Internet]) to disguise my DNS location.

It appears that I can do this, without using my computer, directly on the Oppo, as is described on p. 84 (BDP-105D) the user's manual:

"Proxy Setting: Allows you to configure the proxy server settings. The proxy server works as an intermediary for network communications betweens client and other servers, which can provide benefits like security, anonymity, or even circumvent regional restrictions." (my italics)

First, however, I need to input the proxy host name and then the proxy host port number, and this is where I need guidance.

Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance
John Dudley (DK)
Interested... if you get a solution....
Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I live in the UK and use my Oppo exclusively to access US Netflix (and my television for other streaming services). All I do is enter the required DNS codes (which can change quite frequently) I've never bothered configuring a proxy!
A DNS from the States....
Old 10-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:

Use the built in Test Tones to confirm you have the Sub wired correctly -- correct jack on OPPO wired to the line level input of Sub. Check that Sub isn't expecting a Trigger input to come out of Stand By.

Once Test Tones work, next check Sub function with the LFE (Subwoofer) channel of the multi-channel speaker level test track from a calibration disc.

Keep in mind that Crossover can not work when using the Asynchronous USB DAC input or when playing SACD discs or DSD files while SACD Output set to DSD.
--Bob
Old 10-30-2015, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Bello View Post
A DNS from the States....
Yes...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 10-30-2015, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Use the built in Test Tones to confirm you have the Sub wired correctly -- correct jack on OPPO wired to the line level input of Sub. Check that Sub isn't expecting a Trigger input to come out of Stand By.

Once Test Tones work, next check Sub function with the LFE (Subwoofer) channel of the multi-channel speaker level test track from a calibration disc.

Keep in mind that Crossover can not work when using the Asynchronous USB DAC input or when playing SACD discs or DSD files while SACD Output set to DSD.
--Bob
1 what is a trigger input? It has automatic turn on.
2 no calibration disc
3 So... when playing SACD/DSD ihe OPPO will only send signals to left and right channel not the sub?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:
Quote:

--Bob
1 what is a trigger input? It has automatic turn on.
2 no calibration disc
3 So... when playing SACD/DSD ihe OPPO will only send signals to left and right channel not the sub?
Trigger input means the Sub wants a wire from another device telling it to turn on.

A calibration disc is a wise investment. Once you get the Sub working one of the most important next steps is to set the speaker/sub levels properly. You do that with a test tone track and a sound pressure level meter.

If you want Crossover to work when playing SACD discs or DSD files simply set SACD Output to PCM.

Does the Sub work with the built in Test Tones? That's the first step.
--Bob
Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want Crossover to work when playing SACD discs or DSD files simply set SACD Output to PCM.

--Bob
So, the only way to play multi-ch SACDs properly is to set SACD Output to PCM? Can't the 10x players enable LFE output on multi-ch SACD's while SACD Output is set to DSD? Crossover is not needed for LFE output, right?

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-30-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
So, the only way to play multi-ch SACDs properly is to set SACD Output to PCM? Can't the 10x players enable LFE output on multi-ch SACD's while SACD Output is set to DSD? Crossover is not needed for LFE output, right?
Bob was talking about 2 channel SACD's as no crossover processing is possible when output is set to DSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player