Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Late to the topic, but I also use Tidal now since it gives you a 3 month trial period. After the 1st day of use, I made up my mind that I'm going to keep it and pay the $20 a month. To me, it's definitely worth it.
As for controlling the 105D, I use my iPad Mini 2 along with the LUMIN app. In order to use the LUMIN app, you have to be running a NAS with both MinimServer and BubbleUPnP server. I went this way because I feel the Oppo Media Control app sucks. It's slow at loading the NAS and Tidal inventory, not to mention at least through Tidal, it loads all of the tracks into a playlist which I suppose is fine, but it never lets you completely delete the playlist, always leaving the very first track in there. And when the album you put in there plays the last track, it rolls over to the left over track of the previous album. Again, it sucks.
The LUMIN app on the other hand is extremely clean, elegant and a pleasure to use. It has the same class and feel as the JRiver JRemote app that I've been used to for the past couple of years. Ever since I got the Minim and Bubble servers up and running on my Synology NAS and loaded the LUMIN app, I shut down my dedicated JRiver laptop and haven't looked back.
And lastly, since just a couple nights ago as an experiment, I started using my 105D as the preamp as well, bypassing my McIntosh preamp and being connected directly into my Odyssey Khartago Kismet amp. So far, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the results. I only use the 2-ch audio outputs, not the L & R channels in the 7.1 outputs.
Honestly, the only reason I bought the 105D was for its audio DAC and network/streaming capabilities. The video/blu-ray section is just a bonus. I've maybe played 3 blu-rays in it since I've had it. 99% of the time, I'm streaming FLAC files and Tidal through it. The other 1% is TV, which I have the cable box plugged into the HDMI input on the back of the 105D to get not only the better sound quality, but also utilize the Darbee/video section of the 105D. Oh, and I have the Roku plugged into the front with a nifty little angle adapter that keeps the Roku almost right up against the face of the unit.
I do have one question... Does anyone else have issues with these units freezing up on them randomly? Granted, I do keep my system up and running literally 24/7, however my brother doesn't, and he has similar issues with his 103.
Oh, and a bonus question... LOL! Do you think there will ever be a firmware update that gets these units to play FLAC gapless? Is it software related or hardware limited? I'd kind of find it hard to believe it to be the latter as the Marantz NA6005 I had for a short while (cost half as much as the 105) played not only FLAC gapless but also DSD!
If anything, I will probably get the AURALiC Aries Bridge and connect it to the 105D to solve that gapless issue. Having that pause in between tracks just ruins it for me when I'm listening to my classical music and Pink Floyd. Actually, any album that has gapless tracks. It's quite annoying.
"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch
Last edited by Anamorphic; 12-05-2015 at 10:41 AM.