Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 451 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 493Likes

post #13501 of 13903 Old 11-27-2015, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the excellent information Bob, very helpful.

Cheers!

RLW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13502 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
Tidal is a breeze on the Oppo and the iPad. As long as you are on the latest firmware for the Oppo and the current version of the iPad app it is very intuitive. Just do it!
Out of interest, is the Tidal music video service also supported on the Oppo?

Over here in the UK their lossless audio service costs £19.99, which currently equates to around $30.00 US. So it ain't cheap

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #13503 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 07:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
^ No Music Video support yet. OPPO has made no statement whether that might be coming.
--Bob
post #13504 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm reading through this huge thread but wanted to post a question for the most recent opinions, I know what I'm asking has been discussed at length but would appreciate some info. The preamp in my 7.1 channel main living room system has died (Emotiva UMC-200). I can get it repaired under warranty but I'm seeing what my other upgrade options are. I'd like to consider the BDP-105 for my 7.1 channel preamp. I currently only use DirecTV as a source. We would probably get into streaming using the BDP-105 as well as use it for SACD as well as my hi res and redbook FLAC library. I've got an Emotiva XPA-3 for the front soundstage and a XPA-500 for the surrounds. Am I asking for trouble using the BDP-105 in this system or do you think I could make it work with decent sound quality?
post #13505 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Perinne View Post
I'm reading through this huge thread but wanted to post a question for the most recent opinions, I know what I'm asking has been discussed at length but would appreciate some info. The preamp in my 7.1 channel main living room system has died (Emotiva UMC-200). I can get it repaired under warranty but I'm seeing what my other upgrade options are. I'd like to consider the BDP-105 for my 7.1 channel preamp. I currently only use DirecTV as a source. We would probably get into streaming using the BDP-105 as well as use it for SACD as well as my hi res and redbook FLAC library. I've got an Emotiva XPA-3 for the front soundstage and a XPA-500 for the surrounds. Am I asking for trouble using the BDP-105 in this system or do you think I could make it work with decent sound quality?
I don't run a preamp in my system. Been happy for almost 3 years.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #13506 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
I'd like to consider the BDP-105 for my 7.1 channel preamp. I currently only use DirecTV as a source. We would probably get into streaming using the BDP-105 as well as use it for SACD as well as my hi res and redbook FLAC library.Am I asking for trouble using the BDP-105 in this system or do you think I could make it work with decent sound quality?
In one of my setups, DirecTV goes via HDMI to an Oppo BDP-105. Balanced analog from the Oppo goes to a Parasound A 21 that drives a pair of KEF LS50s supplement by a Velodyne HGS-10 and SMS-1 bass manager. The sound with this setup is excellent, especially when playing a BD or SACD.

db
post #13507 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I spend the afternoon trying to get the ME850 lay some fine music into the ATC SCM40.

I should say my Oppo is connected to a Emotiva pre and then to an Emotiva 5 Channel Power .

My focal domes are set as small with certain calibration within the Opp.

But this impacts the Balanced stereo output. What was can I swap between the two systems as I cannot keep re configuring Down Mix every time I switch it.

Also other issue is there is no place to disable all this speaker calibration.
I don't want to be changing speaker distances, levels, down mix setting also disabling img NEO processing everytime I want to listen to music.

There is no place to disable the crossover

Hoping Bob can help
post #13508 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 PM

I spend the afternoon trying to get the ME850 lay some fine music into the ATC SCM40.

I should say my Oppo is connected to a Emotiva pre and then to an Emotiva 5 Channel Power .

My focal domes are set as small with certain calibration within the Opp.

But this impacts the Balanced stereo output. What was can I swap between the two systems as I cannot keep re configuring Down Mix every time I switch it.

Also other issue is there is no place to disable all this speaker calibration.
I don't want to be changing speaker distances, levels, down mix setting also disabling img NEO processing everytime I want to listen to music.

There is no place to disable the crossover

Hoping Bob can help
post #13509 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 314
You can run the multichannel outs from the 105 (including the RCA front L and R outs) to one input on the Emotive and all of the speaker calibration will apply to those outputs.

You can run the XLR stereo outs to another input on the Emotive, with the stereo signal setting in the 105 set to "Downmixed Stereo" and that will disable all speaker calibration, including crossover,. for the XLR outs.

There are down sides to running things this way, When you select the stereo input on the Emotive for the XLR inputs, you are not going to have any sub input so you're going to be running on whatever bass your speakers can deliver on their own. You also lose the higher quality DAC processing from the front left and right channels when playing multichannel sound.

That's the only way I know of in which you can swap easily between multichannel output with a sub and bass management, and pure stereo output without bass management.
post #13510 of 13903 Old 11-28-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
You can run the multichannel outs from the 105 (including the RCA front L and R outs) to one input on the Emotive and all of the speaker calibration will apply to those outputs.

You can run the XLR stereo outs to another input on the Emotive, with the stereo signal setting in the 105 set to "Downmixed Stereo" and that will disable all speaker calibration, including crossover,. for the XLR outs.

There are down sides to running things this way, When you select the stereo input on the Emotive for the XLR inputs, you are not going to have any sub input so you're going to be running on whatever bass your speakers can deliver on their own. You also lose the higher quality DAC processing from the front left and right channels when playing multichannel sound.

That's the only way I know of in which you can swap easily between multichannel output with a sub and bass management, and pure stereo output without bass management.
Seems like a kind of got it.

Just one thing clarify, the stereo output is going to a different power amp which then feeds floor standers and no sub.

I will play flac and dsd which is stereo and not multichannel, does that make sense ?
post #13511 of 13903 Old 11-29-2015, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am currently using Tidal by a Windows 7 professional PC connected to Oppo 105D (EU version) by USB DAC IN (then Oppo 105D is connected to stereo Genelec 8050B active studio monitors by XLR). All OK, but I was told that Tidal PC application can only use DirectSound driver and not ASIO or WASAPI (as instead Foobar2000 can do, and I verified this by looking at windows mixer: it is active for Tidal and not for Foobar2000 if ASIO or WASAPI output device is selected) and that DirectSound driver LOWERS Audio Quality. Is it true? Is DirectSound so bad in Windows 7 professional? What exactly is going on? Is it possible to avoid this problem? Is Tidal addressing this problem (maybe updating its PC app)?
Unfortunately I can not use Oppo Tidal App (provided by the new Oppo 105D firmware) since it requires MediaControll App that requires WiFi that I do not want to use (WiFi is necessary to connect the Tablet or Smartphone to Oppo 105D): is this true? Moreover I think Tidal PC app is more confortable and powerful to search music than Tidal Oppo app (and videos are supported).
In my opinion Oppo 105D lacks (only) a web control user interface such as the one found in Marantz network players (e.g. NA8005): http://manuals.marantz.com/NA8005/EU...SYvqvctpcd.php

Last edited by campus1; 12-03-2015 at 01:43 AM.
post #13512 of 13903 Old 11-29-2015, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertqaz View Post
Seems like a kind of got it.

Just one thing clarify, the stereo output is going to a different power amp which then feeds floor standers and no sub.

I will play flac and dsd which is stereo and not multichannel, does that make sense ?

That makes sense. Basically, the Stereo Signal setting in the Oppo allows you to have the multichannel DAC and the Stereo DAC each process a signal completely separately, and to deliver the results of their processing to different amps or to different inputs on the same AVR or Pre-Pro. You swap between the 2 different outputs of the Oppo by changing the amp you use or changing the input on the AVR or Pre-Pro.

You aren't limited to stereo sources with the stereo outputs from the Oppo. Multichannel source material will be down mixed to stereo in the stereo processing path, and stay multichannel in the multichannel processing path. Both paths are physically separate. You have the choice of hearing multichannel material in either multichannel or stereo simply by swapping between the amps, or the AVR/Pre-Pro inputs. It's your choice.
post #13513 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hey guys

Quick question: is there an advantage to separating the audio and video signal from the Oppo to tv and processor? Meaning using hdmi 1 for video and 2 for audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13514 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 05:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by romavictor View Post
Quick question: is there an advantage to separating the audio and video signal from the Oppo to tv and processor? Meaning using hdmi 1 for video and 2 for audio.
Not unless your processor is doing something that doesn't allow the video to pass through unmolested or your TV supports 3D (or 4K) and the processor doesn't or you want to send DSD to your processor (DSD is only supported on the HDMI 2 output on the Oppo, unless you have the "D" version of the Oppo). Most AVR's and processors these days will pass video through without any issues, so unless you have a specific reason to do so, I always recommend using just a single HDMI output from the Oppo. There's also no harm in trying it both ways and going with what you prefer.
romavictor likes this.
post #13515 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Hey guys

Hi,

See Post #22326 through to Post #22365 from the below link for a full and "spirited" discussion of this EXACT question........LOL

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

I and others always recommend using both HDMI outs where possible and NOT feeding video through an AVR unnecessarily whilst others, including GSR obviously, are of the opposing view.

Have a read, form your own opinion and do what YOU want.

Cheers
romavictor likes this.

Last edited by linger63; 12-01-2015 at 07:17 AM.
post #13516 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
Hi,

See Post #22326 through to Post #22365 from the below link for a full and "spirited" discussion of this EXACT question........LOL

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

I and others always recommend using both HDMI outs where possible and NOT feeding video through an AVR unnecessarily whilst others, including GSR obviously, are of the opposing view.

Have a read, form your own opinion and do what YOU want.

Cheers

I'm getting an error with that link

post #13517 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 07:39 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
I'm getting an error with that link

Try this link.
linger63 likes this.
post #13518 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I just got Tidal Hifi and I must admit I am really enjoying using it through my 105. It's nice that oppo still releases major updates for their product.

Equipment list:
B&W 803d, Rythmik F12SE, Emotiva XSP-1, Emotiva XPA-2, Oppo 105, Project 2Xperience Classic, Panamax M5300-PM, Panasonic 60ST60
post #13519 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:

I think most would tell you that the Oppo direct to the amp(s) is the preferable way to go. I route my 105 directly to an older Emotiva UPA-7 amp and am very pleased with the results.

Since the 105 is limited to one HDMI input in the back, once you connect your DirecTV you've pretty much exhausted your HDMI inputs. I run my Xbox One through the HDMI input in back to for vids and some of the Xbox apps.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #13520 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Since the 105 is limited to one HDMI input in the back, once you connect your DirecTV you've pretty much exhausted your HDMI inputs. I run my Xbox One through the HDMI input in back to for vids and some of the Xbox apps.
There's and HDMI input in the front as well.

post #13521 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

^ There's also the option of adding a HDMI switch between the Oppo and the devices you want to send through it if more inputs are needed.
post #13522 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorr23 View Post
I just got Tidal Hifi and I must admit I am really enjoying using it through my 105. It's nice that oppo still releases major updates for their product.
What specific steps did you take to get Tidal up and running, and how do you control it? I want to try it with my 105D first then with my 105. I have an iPad, an unused Mac Mini, and an iMac in our media room. Is there a preference about which I might use? The iPad or Mini might be used in the living room with the 105.

db
post #13523 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In regards to connecting a DirecTV receiver to the 105's HDMI in, I read where one owner could not get pay channels such as HBO, Starz, etc to work but other channels would. Is this a real current issue with the Oppo?
post #13524 of 13903 Old 12-01-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 1216
I have DirecTV plugged into HDMI and all of the pay channels come in.
post #13525 of 13903 Old 12-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
What specific steps did you take to get Tidal up and running, and how do you control it? I want to try it with my 105D first then with my 105. I have an iPad, an unused Mac Mini, and an iMac in our media room. Is there a preference about which I might use? The iPad or Mini might be used in the living room with the 105.

db
Update your 105D and 105 to the latest firmware and also install the latest OPPO MediaControl app on your iPad.

When you run MediaControl for the 105D or 105 you will see Tidal among the choices on the Browse sources page.

Now go to the Tidal website on your Mac and establish an account. In MediaControl, select Tidal and log in to that same account.

Voila! Tidal runs on the OPPO controlled by the MediaControl app. The Mac is only used to create the account on the Tidal website.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 12-02-2015 at 05:44 AM.
post #13526 of 13903 Old 12-02-2015, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Just as an update, I set the Oppo back to 2160p and I no longer see the jaggies during the beginning of Planes, Trains and Automobiles that I did before, strange.

Could have just been a fluke, or perhaps a recent software update for the TV fixed a bug.
post #13527 of 13903 Old 12-02-2015, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Bob. I'll try it.

db
post #13528 of 13903 Old 12-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Late to the topic, but I also use Tidal now since it gives you a 3 month trial period. After the 1st day of use, I made up my mind that I'm going to keep it and pay the $20 a month. To me, it's definitely worth it.

As for controlling the 105D, I use my iPad Mini 2 along with the LUMIN app. In order to use the LUMIN app, you have to be running a NAS with both MinimServer and BubbleUPnP server. I went this way because I feel the Oppo Media Control app sucks. It's slow at loading the NAS and Tidal inventory, not to mention at least through Tidal, it loads all of the tracks into a playlist which I suppose is fine, but it never lets you completely delete the playlist, always leaving the very first track in there. And when the album you put in there plays the last track, it rolls over to the left over track of the previous album. Again, it sucks.

The LUMIN app on the other hand is extremely clean, elegant and a pleasure to use. It has the same class and feel as the JRiver JRemote app that I've been used to for the past couple of years. Ever since I got the Minim and Bubble servers up and running on my Synology NAS and loaded the LUMIN app, I shut down my dedicated JRiver laptop and haven't looked back.

And lastly, since just a couple nights ago as an experiment, I started using my 105D as the preamp as well, bypassing my McIntosh preamp and being connected directly into my Odyssey Khartago Kismet amp. So far, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the results. I only use the 2-ch audio outputs, not the L & R channels in the 7.1 outputs.

Honestly, the only reason I bought the 105D was for its audio DAC and network/streaming capabilities. The video/blu-ray section is just a bonus. I've maybe played 3 blu-rays in it since I've had it. 99% of the time, I'm streaming FLAC files and Tidal through it. The other 1% is TV, which I have the cable box plugged into the HDMI input on the back of the 105D to get not only the better sound quality, but also utilize the Darbee/video section of the 105D. Oh, and I have the Roku plugged into the front with a nifty little angle adapter that keeps the Roku almost right up against the face of the unit.

I do have one question... Does anyone else have issues with these units freezing up on them randomly? Granted, I do keep my system up and running literally 24/7, however my brother doesn't, and he has similar issues with his 103.

Oh, and a bonus question... LOL! Do you think there will ever be a firmware update that gets these units to play FLAC gapless? Is it software related or hardware limited? I'd kind of find it hard to believe it to be the latter as the Marantz NA6005 I had for a short while (cost half as much as the 105) played not only FLAC gapless but also DSD!

If anything, I will probably get the AURALiC Aries Bridge and connect it to the 105D to solve that gapless issue. Having that pause in between tracks just ruins it for me when I'm listening to my classical music and Pink Floyd. Actually, any album that has gapless tracks. It's quite annoying.

"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch

Last edited by Anamorphic; 12-05-2015 at 10:41 AM.
post #13529 of 13903 Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post

I do have one question... Does anyone else have issues with these units freezing up on them randomly? Granted, I do keep my system up and running literally 24/7, however my brother doesn't, and he has similar issues with his 103.

Oh, and a bonus question... LOL! Do you think there will ever be a firmware update that gets these units to play FLAC gapless? Is
I have noticed instability with my Oppo player as a DLNA renderer (lockups) paired with different DLNA Media servers/uPnP control software. Utilizing the SMB protocol is more stable, at least for me it has been. I know that won't help you much though.

Gapless FLAC on your Oppo player is supported, but not via DLNA. It is supported via network, but only with the SMB protocol while using Oppo's Media Control app.

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-05-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #13530 of 13903 Old 12-05-2015, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I have noticed instability with my Oppo player as a DLNA renderer (lockups) paired with different DLNA Media servers/uPnP control software. Utilizing the SMB protocol is more stable, at least for me it has been. I know that won't help you much though.

Gapless FLAC on your Oppo player is supported, but not via DLNA. It is supported via network, but only with the SMB protocol while using Oppo's Media Control app.
So in other words, an AURALiC Aries is in my future.

I don't know that it has anything to do with DLNA or SMB. It's an almost guarantee that both my 105 and my brother's 103 freezes when loading a blu-ray every time, but mine will also freeze while streaming music.

Just a few minutes ago, even though the wifi icon was showing on the 105's display, it was no longer being seen by the network. Keep in mind this was in mid-track of an album on Tidal, though it does it with my NAS as well. Even after multiple reboots and the wifi icon reappearing on the display after a couple of seconds, the only thing that solves it is pulling the plug for about a minute.

As for the gapless issue, I think it would be a wise move for Oppo to rewrite some software to get these players to also stream gapless via DLNA since I'm sure even more people use that rather than SMB.

"I don't care if he's Mohamed "I'm Hard" Bruce Lee!" - Brick Top Polford: Snatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page