Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 455 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 465Likes
post #13621 of 13627 Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Do you have a set of headphones? Plug them into the headphone jack of your 105, and see if you get audio from a DSD file. Just trying to rule out issues with your downstream equipment. There is no other settings to switch on your 105....if you can currently play DSD via attached usb drive, the 105 will play it via DLNA.
Thanks, I tried the headphones and they don't play anything either. The other thing I noticed is that my files are showing up in the Oppo folder/file menu as WAV files, even though they are .dsf or .flac files. This is when I am pulling from the Minimserver. Is there another server that is know to work with Oppo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13622 of 13627 Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post
Thanks, I tried the headphones and they don't play anything either. The other thing I noticed is that my files are showing up in the Oppo folder/file menu as WAV files, even though they are .dsf or .flac files. This is when I am pulling from the Minimserver. Is there another server that is know to work with Oppo?
Okay.....so now it seems like your issue not only affects .dsf playback, but .flac playback also via dlna. Are you 100% certain those exact files in question will play perfectly as .dsf and/or .flac from an attached usb drive on your 105? If so, then the culprit sure looks like the dlna server. However, you said you have other dlna servers, right? (JRiver, and NAS native dlna servers)....and you've tried them all with the same results. You should give the SMB protocol a try just to show you can playback your audio files via your home network. Your NAS should have SMB available to be enabled. Once you have that going, your 105's onscreen network browser should be able to access your NAS's filesystem via SMB. Or you can use Oppo's mediaControl app to access your NAS's audio file system via SMB.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 09:29 PM.
post #13623 of 13627 Unread Today, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Okay.....so now it seems like your issue not only affects .dsf playback, but .flac playback also via dlna. Are you 100% certain those exact files in question will play perfectly as .dsf and/or .flac from an attached usb drive on your 105? If so, then the culprit sure looks like the dlna server. However, you said you have other dlna servers, right? (JRiver, and NAS native dlna servers)....and you've tried them all with the same results. You should give the SMB protocol a try just to show you can playback your audio files via your home network. Your NAS should have SMB available to be enabled. Once you have that going, your 105's onscreen network browser should be able to access your NAS's filesystem via SMB. Or you can use Oppo's mediaControl app to access your NAS's audio file system via SMB.
DanF8500,

Just to be clear, the flac files play fine but they show up in the album folder as .wav files. But I've isolated that to just one server. I have multiple NAS and that seems to only happen with one of them, so I'm not worried about it. It must be a characteristic of that server which I will dig into later (it could be that Minimserver is presenting everything as WAV).

I have a second 105 in another room that I tested this morning. I can pull .dsf files and play them using the MediaControl app on my iPad and via the Network folder search using the Oppo remote (which I assume is SMB). I can also push them to that 105 via JRiver with no problem. The only difference between this 105 and the other one is this one only has an HDMI connection to the pre-pro, so the Oppo is converting to PCM before sending to the pre-pro for DA conversion. In the one that doesn't work, I am using the 7.1 analog out to a different pre-pro, so Oppo is doing the DAC. Flac files work fine but not dsf in this mode.

Later today I will try swapping 105's just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the 105 hardware. Both 105's are running the same firmware and the same config other than the one where I use the 7.1, I have the HDMI audio turned off. Again, flac files can be pulled or pushed without issue, I just can't get dsf or dff files to play.

Karl
post #13624 of 13627 Unread Today, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
DanF8500,

Just to be clear, the flac files play fine but they show up in the album folder as .wav files. But I've isolated that to just one server. I have multiple NAS and that seems to only happen with one of them, so I'm not worried about it. It must be a characteristic of that server which I will dig into later (it could be that Minimserver is presenting everything as WAV).

I have a second 105 in another room that I tested this morning. I can pull .dsf files and play them using the MediaControl app on my iPad and via the Network folder search using the Oppo remote (which I assume is SMB). I can also push them to that 105 via JRiver with no problem. The only difference between this 105 and the other one is this one only has an HDMI connection to the pre-pro, so the Oppo is converting to PCM before sending to the pre-pro for DA conversion. In the one that doesn't work, I am using the 7.1 analog out to a different pre-pro, so Oppo is doing the DAC. Flac files work fine but not dsf in this mode.

Later today I will try swapping 105's just to make sure there isn't something wrong with the 105 hardware. Both 105's are running the same firmware and the same config other than the one where I use the 7.1, I have the HDMI audio turned off. Again, flac files can be pulled or pushed without issue, I just can't get dsf or dff files to play.

Karl
If your flacs are showing up a WAV, it is entirely possible that your DLNA server is set up to do transcoding - which you definitely do NOT want it doing. You need audio transcoding turned off for best results with the Oppo - which can play most audio file types in their native format without any need for transcoding.

Any half-decent DLNA server will provide a way to turn transcoding off. You might want to investigate yours.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #13625 of 13627 Unread Today, 01:38 PM

I found the problem. In the JRiver DLNA Server there is a parameter for streaming DSD over DOPe. I assumed this needed to be on to send DSD files to the Oppo. I was wrong. Once I unselected this parameter, I was able to both pull and push DSD files to the Oppo. No cover art or much meta data but at least I can listen. The Oppo display says PCM, so I'm not sure what that means.

The other issue with Dsf files showing as WAV is specific to that particular NAS which is set up to down convert anything higher than 24/192 since I am using room correction filters in that room and the filters don't work above 24/192. When I look at the files on all my other NAS from the Network folder on the Oppo or from their iPad app, they show as the correct file types.

Is there any way to tell that the files are being played at the correct bit depth and sample rate?
post #13626 of 13627 Unread Today, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
The other issue with Dsf files showing as WAV is specific to that particular NAS which is set up to down convert anything higher than 24/192 since I am using room correction filters in that room and the filters don't work above 24/192.
I suggest you don't have "that particular NAS" transcode your dsd.dsf files to pcm.wav files. Your Oppo can transcode dsd to pcm just fine by itself!

EDIT: By-the-way... When the Oppo's are set-up to transcode dsd audio to pcm audio, the pcm audio stream will be reported as being 88.2KHz/24-bit.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; Today at 02:46 PM.
post #13627 of 13627 Unread Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
I found the problem. In the JRiver DLNA Server there is a parameter for streaming DSD over DOPe. I assumed this needed to be on to send DSD files to the Oppo. I was wrong. Once I unselected this parameter, I was able to both pull and push DSD files to the Oppo. No cover art or much meta data but at least I can listen. The Oppo display says PCM, so I'm not sure what that means.

Is there any way to tell that the files are being played at the correct bit depth and sample rate?
I know what that means. It means your 105 is converting DSD to PCM. Not sure if this is what you want. When DSD is converted to PCM, your 105 can still do audio processing(bass/crossover, down mixing, trim, distance, etc) on its analog outputs. However, if you want your 105 to convert DSD Direct to analog, then you wont be able to do any audio processing. The 105 setting that gives you this option (DSD or PCM options) is called "SACD Output". I can elaborate more on that setting if you don't understand it. It's pretty self explanatory though.

Last edited by DanF8500; Today at 03:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page