Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 457 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 492Likes

post #13681 of 13900 Old 06-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5G compatible wireless adapter? Roku stick self-powered?

greetings,

2 questions:

1) besides the standard, 2.4GHz wireless adapter included with the oppo 105D, are there 105D compatible oppo/third party wireless adapters that work on 5G networks?

2) is the Roku stick self powered when plugged into the front usb port? if not, into one of the usb ports on the back?

thanks so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13682 of 13900 Old 06-10-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by oolalajp View Post
greetings,

2 questions:

1) besides the standard, 2.4GHz wireless adapter included with the oppo 105D, are there 105D compatible oppo/third party wireless adapters that work on 5G networks?

2) is the Roku stick self powered when plugged into the front usb port? if not, into one of the usb ports on the back?

thanks so much in advance!
You will still have to use the wireless dongle included with the player because it is specifically coded
to work with the Oppo 10x series players.

It all depends on what Roku stick you are referring to. The specific one designed to integrate with the 10x players
is the MHL version of the stick, and by default when it is plugged into the front MHL port of the player,
it will be powered by the MHL port so no external power will be needed.
However it's not advisable to use that particular stick from Roku anymore unless you have it on an older version of Roku firmware
because their latest version disabled 1080p output and the stick is now crippled to 720p output only.
Roku acknowledges that they have done this but have not offered any explanation as to why or if they will ever fix it.
It would be better to buy a different type of streaming device to pair with the Oppo 10x players right now.
No other version of Roku will be "self powering" like the MHL version, so all other versions or boxes will need to use
separate USB power or wall socket power to work.
post #13683 of 13900 Old 06-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You will still have to use the wireless dongle included with the player because it is specifically coded
to work with the Oppo 10x series players.

It all depends on what Roku stick you are referring to. The specific one designed to integrate with the 10x players
is the MHL version of the stick, and by default when it is plugged into the front MHL port of the player,
it will be powered by the MHL port so no external power will be needed.
However it's not advisable to use that particular stick from Roku anymore unless you have it on an older version of Roku firmware
because their latest version disabled 1080p output and the stick is now crippled to 720p output only.
Roku acknowledges that they have done this but have not offered any explanation as to why or if they will ever fix it.
It would be better to buy a different type of streaming device to pair with the Oppo 10x players right now.
No other version of Roku will be "self powering" like the MHL version, so all other versions or boxes will need to use
separate USB power or wall socket power to work.
thank you so much for your thorough answers. so, i guess the 105D's wireless network capabilities are limited to using the included 2.4GHz dongle.?. that's seems odd and is a little disappointing, actually. i'm surprised there's no workaround to get the unit to work on a 5G network or some third party solution. seems like a ripe market. well, i'd buy a wireless dongle that did that for me with the 105D.

as for the roku, sorry, i was referring the streaming stick 3600D. has anyone out there ever paired it with the 105D? if so, any warnings? suggestions? advice? opinions?
post #13684 of 13900 Old 06-10-2016, 07:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
thank you so much for your thorough answers. so, i guess the 105D's wireless network capabilities are limited to using the included 2.4GHz dongle.?. that's seems odd and is a little disappointing, actually. i'm surprised there's no workaround to get the unit to work on a 5G network or some third party solution. seems like a ripe market. well, i'd buy a wireless dongle that did that for me with the 105D.

as for the roku, sorry, i was referring the streaming stick 3600D. has anyone out there ever paired it with the 105D? if so, any warnings? suggestions? advice? opinions?
There's the option of connecting the Oppo's Ethernet port to a wireless access point that provides whatever flavor of wireless access you need.

For the Roku, unless you have the MHL version, it's really no different than connecting any other HDMI source to the HDMI inputs on the player.
post #13685 of 13900 Old 06-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
No, there is no other USB network adapter out there that works with the Oppo. That said, there are LOTS of wired-to-wireless "bridge" devices out there that you can use. Just connect the bridge to your wireless network and then connect the wired port of the Oppo to a wired connection on the bridge.

Here is an example. I used something similar before I bit the bullet and put a wired network drop in my media cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Wirel...less+ac+bridge

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #13686 of 13900 Old 06-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 1511
^ If you use Apple Airport for your Wifi, an Airport Express will do this for you too. Just run Ethernet from it to the OPPO.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13687 of 13900 Old 06-17-2016, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hi!

I have a couple of questions hope somebody can help me.

I bought two subwoofers 1 month ago and and hooked it to the oppo-105

i ordered 1 specialy made cable made by supra cables 1rca to 2rca because the oppo only have one sub out.

my questions are.

1. i have set all speakers to small in the oppo and stereo signal front left/right and the crossover to 80hz(subs crossover is in the bottom 150hz)

but i can`t hear any difference at all when i change the crossover in the oppo from 40hz to 200hz :/ i have never experienced this when i used other preamps.

is there a setting i have missed?

2.when i change the stereo front left/right to downmix stereo the sound gets much louder in the whole frequency range not only in the bass.
also why is that?

3. if i have the subs amplifier volume set to 50 of 100 and have to set the oppos sub output to +5db to get even balanced sound is it better if i turn up the subs volume to maybe 60 and down the oppo to +-0db for any reason?

4.and finally if i have the XLR ouputs at -6db does it mean that if i go to volume 100 on the oppo i wont get full available volume output?
this is just something ive been wondering i dont think i go to 100 anyway

Thanks in advance!

//Mike
post #13688 of 13900 Old 06-18-2016, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post
Hi!

I have a couple of questions hope somebody can help me. I bought two subwoofers 1 month ago and and hooked it to the oppo-105. i ordered 1 specialy made cable made by supra cables 1rca to 2rca because the oppo only have one sub out. my questions are.

1. i have set all speakers to small in the oppo and stereo signal front left/right and the crossover to 80hz(subs crossover is in the bottom 150hz) but i can`t hear any difference at all when i change the crossover in the oppo from 40hz to 200hz :/ i have never experienced this when i used other preamps. is there a setting i have missed?

2.when i change the stereo front left/right to downmix stereo the sound gets much louder in the whole frequency range not only in the bass.
also why is that?

3. if i have the subs amplifier volume set to 50 of 100 and have to set the oppos sub output to +5db to get even balanced sound is it better if i turn up the subs volume to maybe 60 and down the oppo to +-0db for any reason?

4.and finally if i have the XLR ouputs at -6db does it mean that if i go to volume 100 on the oppo i wont get full available volume output?

Thanks in advance!

//Mike
Sounds like quite a bit of strangeness, Mike. My only recommendation here is to triple check your subwoofer config. settings to ensure nothing's being by-passed, etc. at the sub.

Otherwise, as one who prefers to keep things very simple, I'm just using 2-channel outputs via the 2-channel XLR outs to the amp (2-components only) and not long ago I augmented my full-range speakers with a subwoofer via the 2-channel RCA outs. And I've been satisfied with the results, well, that is once I dialed in the subwoofer via its controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Articulate Listening Room.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1503785  
post #13689 of 13900 Old 06-18-2016, 06:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post
Hi!

I have a couple of questions hope somebody can help me.

I bought two subwoofers 1 month ago and and hooked it to the oppo-105

i ordered 1 specialy made cable made by supra cables 1rca to 2rca because the oppo only have one sub out.

my questions are.

1. i have set all speakers to small in the oppo and stereo signal front left/right and the crossover to 80hz(subs crossover is in the bottom 150hz)

but i can`t hear any difference at all when i change the crossover in the oppo from 40hz to 200hz :/ i have never experienced this when i used other preamps.

is there a setting i have missed?

also why is that?

Thanks in advance!

//Mike
1) This is probably a configuration error in your subs, but start by checking the basics. Put the OPPO Crossover back to 80 and the Stereo Signal Setting to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. I'm assuming you have the Dedicated L/R Analog outs wired INSTEAD OF the Left Front / Right Front outs of the multi-channel Analog set.

Confirm that DTS Neo:6 Mode is set to OFF.

Now use the built-in Test Tones in the OPPO to confirm your wiring and double-check your speaker levels. Confirm that sound is coming from the correct speakers and the subs in turn and that the volume levels are reasonably matched.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You can't use the player's built-in Test Tones to check the Crossover function. The Test Tones do not go through the Crossover.

Instead play a wide frequency calibration tone from a calibration disc into the front speakers or play a piece of MONO OR STEREO music (i.e., not multi-channel music as it may already have Sub content in its LFE channel) with good bass component to it and get used to how that sounds. Touch your hand to the front grill of the Sub to confirm it is producing bass output. Now disconnect the Sub output from the OPPO. The test piece should sound as if bass has been lost. Now change the Crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz. You should notice much more loss of low frequencies (since the Sub is still disconnected) at 200Hz. Plug the Sub output back in and unplug the main speaker outputs or turn off their amp. Again compare 40Hz to 200Hz. There should be more content going to the Sub at 200Hz. If you've got these results then the Crossover is working.

As to the Subs themselves, make sure you have the built in Crossover in the Subs either bypassed or turned up to the highest frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible. The Subs may have a separate setting to protect them from frequencies that are too low -- typically set around 25Hz. Don't confuse these two settings.

With two Subs you need to make sure the Subs are in proper Phase with each other as well as with the main speakers (usually using Left Front as the surrogate for the set of main speakers). If the Subs are out of Phase their output can cancel. There's a whole forum here on Subs were you can find help on configuring Subs and adjusting bass response in your listening room.

------------------

2) When you switch the Stereo Signal setting to DOWN-MIXED STEREO all of the multi-channel content is now coming out of Left Front and Right Front (again assuming you have wired the Dedicated L/R outs for that). But it is ALSO still coming out of your other speakers! So the volume goes up.

----------------

3) Yes, in general it is best to not use speaker volume trims above 0dB. For the subs you have the easy fix of turning up the volume on the Sub so that you can use a 0dB Sub trim in the OPPO.

-------------

4) Yes, but if you are mixing XLR and RCA outs you need to balance the inherent level difference between them. It is better to lower the XLR as you have done than to boost the RCA trims above 0dB.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-18-2016 at 08:30 AM.
post #13690 of 13900 Old 06-21-2016, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Sorry if this is a dump question but is there any point to plug my subwoofer into the Oppo if I am using a two channel preamp with bass management?
It is only 2 speakers and a subwoofer so I wasn't sure if plugging the subwoofer signal would decode the LFE track.

Equipment list:
B&W 803d, Rythmik F12SE, Emotiva XSP-1, Emotiva XPA-2, Oppo 105, Project 2Xperience Classic, Panamax M5300-PM, Panasonic 60ST60
post #13691 of 13900 Old 06-21-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by eorr23 View Post
Sorry if this is a dump question but is there any point to plug my subwoofer into the Oppo if I am using a two channel preamp with bass management?
It is only 2 speakers and a subwoofer so I wasn't sure if plugging the subwoofer signal would decode the LFE track.
You could.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #13692 of 13900 Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Probably not a good idea because you'll run into problems keeping the main volume level on your 2 channel preamp in sync with the volume level for the sub output on the Oppo.
post #13693 of 13900 Old 06-22-2016, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
You may be able to do this and have it work properly, or you mayn't be able to do it successfully. It is all going to depend on your preamp.

The problem is that the volume control on the preamp is not going to control the volume of the sub so when you change the speaker volume, the sub volume will not change. The only volume control that affects the sub out from the Oppo is the Oppo's own volume control.

Does your preamp have an input which you can set to home theatre bypass? If it does you can make this kind of setup work. You connect the analog outs from the Oppo to the preamp using an input set to home theatre bypass, and you connect the sub to the sub out on the Oppo. Using home theatre bypass mode on the preamp means that the preamp's volume control will not work for that input. The Oppo's volume control becomes the only volume control and works to control the volume of both sub and speakers in tandem and volume adjustments will affect both speakers and sub equally.

There are some setting issues on the Oppo. You have a choice of using the front left and right channel analog outputs from the multichannel outputs, or the dedicated stereo outputs. If you choose to use the dedicated stereo outputs you need to set the Stereo Signal setting to "Front L/R" and then in the speaker configuration panel you should set the down mix to stereo, set the sub to on, the front left and right speakers to small, and set a crossover. You are also going to have to balance the levels for these outputs by adjusting the trim levels. If you don't match speaker and sub levels using the trim settings, the sub level will not match the speaker level and the low bass will either be too soft or too loud. In order to adjust the trim levels you are going to have to use either the test tones from the Oppo or a disc with test tones for setting trim levels. You will need to use a sound pressure level meter (set the weighting to C or, better still, Flat if the meter has that option, and the speed to slow). You will not be able to match levels accurately or satisfactorily by ear so forget about trying to make this work if you do not have access to a sound pressure level meter though if you don't have a separate meter you may be able to get an app for your smart phone which will enable you to use it to make the measurements. You also need to set the Oppo's output setting to variable instead of fixed which is the default or otherwise the Oppo's volume control is not going to work and you are going to pass a maximum volume signal to both speakers and sub which could end up damaging them and hurting your ears.

There is no way at all of making this work if you are using a digital out from the Oppo to the preamp if it has its own DAC because the Oppo's volume control has no effect on digital output.

If your preamp does not have a home theatre bypass setting then it is best to forget this idea completely because you are going to have problems keeping the volume for the speakers and the sub in sync with each other as gsr has said.
post #13694 of 13900 Old 06-22-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
My main speakers are getting their xo's reworked. All I have are my subs, out from my 105, and the TV speakers. Doesn't sound the best, but it does good for me for now.
post #13695 of 13900 Old 06-22-2016, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Thanks Mongo, David, and GSR.
I think I will just leave it the way it is so I don't complicate things.

Equipment list:
B&W 803d, Rythmik F12SE, Emotiva XSP-1, Emotiva XPA-2, Oppo 105, Project 2Xperience Classic, Panamax M5300-PM, Panasonic 60ST60
post #13696 of 13900 Old 06-28-2016, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2 part question:

I'm considering purchasing the 105 to use as media server/ pre-amp and I'm looking at an older McIntosh MC126 multi channel power amp I found for sale at a very nice price. The Mac is a 6 channel 80wpc power amp, bridgeable to 3 channels @275w, which I think would suit my 3.1 KEF LS50 speaker setup very nicely. Only problem I see is the 105 recommends a 47k input impedance and the Mac has a 20k impedance. Is this a deal breaker? What issues could I expect if I went this way?

2nd question: Alternately, I am considering using my Rogue Cronus Magnum II integrated for stereo amplification with the 105, but I also would want to have a center channel for movies. How would I do this? Would/ could I use the dedicated stereo outputs into the Rogue at the same time I am outputting center channel sound from the 7 channel outputs (into a mono block > LS50)? If this would work technically, would I be able to use the Oppo volume control for all three channels (I'm thinking no)? Or would I want to hook up all 3 channels out the 7 ch outputs? The problem I see with that is I am sending an already pre-ampilifed signal to the pre-amplifier in the integrated (which isn't good) right? Or what? My brain has reached its limit, how would you suggest working with this setup?

Last edited by katzmo; 06-29-2016 at 09:07 AM.
post #13697 of 13900 Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ For your second question:

Set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and wire the L/R from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs to your stereo amp. This setting makes the Dedicated L/R outs act just like the LF/RF outs of the multi-channel set, responding to all the settings that normally apply to LF/RF.

Also wire Center and Sub out of the multi-channel set to your Mono amp (for Center) and to your Sub.

In Speaker Configuration, set Down-Mix to 5.1. Then also go into the individual settings for each speaker and turn the Left Surround and Right Surround speakers OFF. At this point, you will have Left Front / Right Front enabled (and going out the Dedicated L/R outs), Center enabled, and Sub enabled. I.e., your desired 3.1 speaker configuration. Set LF/RF/C to SMALL if you want Crossover processing to happen (bass steering from them to the Sub), and pick a Crossover frequency.

When playing multi-channel content, the side and rear surround channels, when present, will be down-mixed into Left Front / Right Front.

Using a calibration track -- such as the 5.1 LPCM Channel ID track on AIX Audio Calibration Blu-ray -- set volume trim levels in Speaker Configuration for LF/C/RF/Sub to produce the same SPL level. Ignore the test tones for the surround speakers. (Down-mix levels for the surrounds will be done automatically -- the surround speaker volume trims don't apply.)

Volume control on the OPPO will then keep things in balance as you raise and lower the output volume.
--Bob
arsMatrix likes this.

post #13698 of 13900 Old 06-30-2016, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My 105D will not play Downton Abby season 1, both disc smooth at all. The motion is all jerky. I thought they were defective discs but they play 70% better on another player still not perfect but watchable the 105 is not watchable.

Is there any history of these discs not playing well?
post #13699 of 13900 Old 06-30-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
My 105D will not play Downton Abby season 1, both disc smooth at all. The motion is all jerky. I thought they were defective discs but they play 70% better on another player still not perfect but watchable the 105 is not watchable.

Digital is digital - either it works or not. 70% is not working. Disk is defective.

Reggie
Family Room:75" 4K HDR Sony 940D/Marantz AV8802A/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv C61K/Roku 4K
Basement: 70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds/ Directv Genie HR-54/Roku 4K
post #13700 of 13900 Old 06-30-2016, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post

The entire series played flawlessly on my 105D.
post #13701 of 13900 Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
I recently bought a 105d to replace a Sony blu ray player. I notice a skipped frame or something similar. I notice it on game of thrones several times an episode. Also noticed it on The new Star Wars blu Ray.

Anyone have a similar issue? I just saw it on an episode of Game of thrones and rewound back to that part and it didn't happen again.

Going from 105d to Onkyo 5509 to Epson 8350.

Thanks.
post #13702 of 13900 Old 07-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ For your second question:

Set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and wire the L/R from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs to your stereo amp. This setting makes the Dedicated L/R outs act just like the LF/RF outs of the multi-channel set, responding to all the settings that normally apply to LF/RF.

Also wire Center and Sub out of the multi-channel set to your Mono amp (for Center) and to your Sub.

In Speaker Configuration, set Down-Mix to 5.1. Then also go into the individual settings for each speaker and turn the Left Surround and Right Surround speakers OFF. At this point, you will have Left Front / Right Front enabled (and going out the Dedicated L/R outs), Center enabled, and Sub enabled. I.e., your desired 3.1 speaker configuration. Set LF/RF/C to SMALL if you want Crossover processing to happen (bass steering from them to the Sub), and pick a Crossover frequency.

When playing multi-channel content, the side and rear surround channels, when present, will be down-mixed into Left Front / Right Front.

Using a calibration track -- such as the 5.1 LPCM Channel ID track on AIX Audio Calibration Blu-ray -- set volume trim levels in Speaker Configuration for LF/C/RF/Sub to produce the same SPL level. Ignore the test tones for the surround speakers. (Down-mix levels for the surrounds will be done automatically -- the surround speaker volume trims don't apply.)

Volume control on the OPPO will then keep things in balance as you raise and lower the output volume.
--Bob
Thanks for the 411 Bob, I now have the Oppo and have been playing around with configurations for a couple days. Here's what I've settled on, using what I have on tap the best way I can...

I am keeping my Marantz AVR in the mix so I have a center channel and for DirectTv which benefits greatly from the AVR's Audyessey processing and room correction. I had it going into the Oppo at first but without the processing it was clearly not as good as before.

The Oppo handles everything else, which is mostly Tidal for 2 channel listening and AppleTV4 for Netflix, Hulu, Movies. For those the Oppo is doing all the AVR-like processing (with your suggested settings) and I have the dedicated stereo outs and 7.1 center and sub outs to the AVRs 7.1 inputs. I then have the Marantz LF/RF pre-outs to the Cronus Magnum II for better stereo amplification. I set the AVR to Pure Direct and I think everything sounds pretty damn good. But I'm still learning this stuff so maybe there's a better way to do this using this equipment, what do you think?

The Oppos DAC does wonders on AppleTVs Apple Music lossy streaming, but in this setup I have no ability to apply AVRs room correction or DSP on shows and Movies, I guess because the analogue 7.1 input from the Oppo bypasses the AVR DAC- which is overall a good thing if thats the case. But is there another way to feed the Apple TVs audio to the AVR which will maintain the signal integrity of the Oppo, but gives me the option to add processing when I so choose? Does using an Oppo digital out to the AVR accomplish this or does it instantly get reprocessed up by the AVRs DACS? I'm thinking it would be OK if I switch between Pure Direct for music (unfettered Oppo signal?) and a surround mode for Movies?
post #13703 of 13900 Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ If you want to use the DACs you paid for in the 105, you need to use the Analog outputs of the player. The Digital to Analog Converters of the 105 are not in the signal path at all if you use digital audio output.

For the Analog output of the OPPO to be processed by the Marantz, the Marantz would first have to re-digitize that Analog audio, then process it, then convert it back to Analog for output. That last step uses the DACs in the Marantz.

The alternative is to send digital audio to the Marantz. All of the content you are playing starts in the player as digital audio. By sending digital audio to the Marantz you eliminate the conversation to Analog output in the OPPO, and the re-digitizing of that back into digital in the Marantz.

To send digital audio to the Marantz, the BEST way to do it is via HDMI -- if, of course, your Marantz has HDMI inputs. Optical or Coax digital audio output from the OPPO will not carry all the formats that HDMI can carry. For example, no SACD audio disc output. And for Blu-ray movies, the Optical/Coax outputs will be restricted to the lossy "compatibility" track which is included on Blu-ray discs for just such connections, since they don't provide copy protection. The lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA tracks, or their equivalent in high bit-rate LPCM digital audio, can only go out digitally on the HDMI outputs.
--Bob

post #13704 of 13900 Old 07-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
1) This is probably a configuration error in your subs, but start by checking the basics. Put the OPPO Crossover back to 80 and the Stereo Signal Setting to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. I'm assuming you have the Dedicated L/R Analog outs wired INSTEAD OF the Left Front / Right Front outs of the multi-channel Analog set.

Confirm that DTS Neo:6 Mode is set to OFF.

Now use the built-in Test Tones in the OPPO to confirm your wiring and double-check your speaker levels. Confirm that sound is coming from the correct speakers and the subs in turn and that the volume levels are reasonably matched.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You can't use the player's built-in Test Tones to check the Crossover function. The Test Tones do not go through the Crossover.

Instead play a wide frequency calibration tone from a calibration disc into the front speakers or play a piece of MONO OR STEREO music (i.e., not multi-channel music as it may already have Sub content in its LFE channel) with good bass component to it and get used to how that sounds. Touch your hand to the front grill of the Sub to confirm it is producing bass output. Now disconnect the Sub output from the OPPO. The test piece should sound as if bass has been lost. Now change the Crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz. You should notice much more loss of low frequencies (since the Sub is still disconnected) at 200Hz. Plug the Sub output back in and unplug the main speaker outputs or turn off their amp. Again compare 40Hz to 200Hz. There should be more content going to the Sub at 200Hz. If you've got these results then the Crossover is working.

As to the Subs themselves, make sure you have the built in Crossover in the Subs either bypassed or turned up to the highest frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible. The Subs may have a separate setting to protect them from frequencies that are too low -- typically set around 25Hz. Don't confuse these two settings.

With two Subs you need to make sure the Subs are in proper Phase with each other as well as with the main speakers (usually using Left Front as the surrogate for the set of main speakers). If the Subs are out of Phase their output can cancel. There's a whole forum here on Subs were you can find help on configuring Subs and adjusting bass response in your listening room.

------------------

2) When you switch the Stereo Signal setting to DOWN-MIXED STEREO all of the multi-channel content is now coming out of Left Front and Right Front (again assuming you have wired the Dedicated L/R outs for that). But it is ALSO still coming out of your other speakers! So the volume goes up.

----------------

3) Yes, in general it is best to not use speaker volume trims above 0dB. For the subs you have the easy fix of turning up the volume on the Sub so that you can use a 0dB Sub trim in the OPPO.

-------------

4) Yes, but if you are mixing XLR and RCA outs you need to balance the inherent level difference between them. It is better to lower the XLR as you have done than to boost the RCA trims above 0dB.

--Bob
Hi Bob!

First of all I'm miike888 but couldn't log into my account:/ so made a new one.

I had a friend over with REW and UMIK to make the necessary measurements on the oppo to see what is up.

after one hour of measurements through the USB DAC input we saw that throught that input there is no bass management only 2.0!

we had no other cables that day to try some other inputs.

so one question i have is which is the best way to use REW and an UMIK on a oppo 105?

And if we move back to the bassmangement issue i have i tried some things thou and strange is the first name.

i listened to music through Tidal and sat beside the subwoofer and wanted to try different crossovers so i went into the menu "speaker configuration" and just wanted to see what happened if i turned off the subwoofer(note:all speakers set to small)
here is the weird thing! nothing happened:/ the subwoofer was still playing i changed the front speakers to large and tried again on to off with the subwoofer but still nothing still playing!

i was thinking what the h.....is with this device

Hope to get some help on this bass management "issue" on the oppo!

Thanks in advance.

//Mike
post #13705 of 13900 Old 07-03-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 207
How are you connected to your amps/AVR/processor? If you are connected via anything but the analog outs of the Oppo, bass/speaker management of any sort will not work. The speaker configuration settings of the 105 only work for the analog outs.

post #13706 of 13900 Old 07-03-2016, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
How are you connected to your amps/AVR/processor? If you are connected via anything but the analog outs of the Oppo, bass/speaker management of any sort will not work. The speaker configuration settings of the 105 only work for the analog outs.
Hi!

Connected via analog out from oppo to amplifier and subs.

//Mike
post #13707 of 13900 Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Unrelated to recent posts.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the OPPO 105D's level of musicality these past 2 years. I purchased it completely on a whim and since I owned a $9k Esoteric UX-3SE I never would have purchased the 105D had it not been for their satisfaction guarantee or your money back program.

After burning in the 105D, I noticed the 105D was a bit more musical than my Esoteric. So I sold the Esoteric.

Then I removed my preamp and started using the 105D's passive volume attenuator and the 105D became even more musical in several ways.

Then I started by-passing the 105D's CD transport and playing music via a dedicated SSD drive and using my iPad and OPPO's app for my interface and once the USB section burned in, there was yet another significant leap in the OPPO's level of musicality.

Recently a very audio savvy friend (and distributor) 2000 miles away had rebuked my thoughts on the OPPO 105D, saying he didn't like the SABRE DAC's, etc. I'd wished I could have demo'ed for him what the 105D was capable of doing but alas.

But recently my friend called me to say he's now quite impressed with and has a newfound respect for the OPPO as he got a chance to critically listen to it at a local friend's house. He didn't go into much detail but I was glad to hear of his discovery.

I'd love to see what OPPO could do if they were to design an all-out pedal-to-the-metal audio-only version of the OPPO. Like an all-aluminum chassis (to better transfer unwanted vibrations), remove the CD transport and the multi-channel board, step up the quality of the IEC inlet, the fuse, wires, and a few other tweaks here and there.

The OPPO already is a very serious performance contender as my Esoteric was no slouch and it cost $7500 more than the OPPO. But it was not even in the same league as the OPPO once I took advantage of some of the OPPO's other features.

I've no doubt what OPPO might do if they designed an audio-only all-out version.
post #13708 of 13900 Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stehno View Post
Unrelated to recent posts.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the OPPO 105D's level of musicality these past 2 years. I purchased it completely on a whim and since I owned a $9k Esoteric UX-3SE I never would have purchased the 105D had it not been for their satisfaction guarantee or your money back program.

After burning in the 105D, I noticed the 105D was a bit more musical than my Esoteric. So I sold the Esoteric.

Then I removed my preamp and started using the 105D's passive volume attenuator and the 105D became even more musical in several ways.

Then I started by-passing the 105D's CD transport and playing music via a dedicated SSD drive and using my iPad and OPPO's app for my interface and once the USB section burned in, there was yet another significant leap in the OPPO's level of musicality.

Recently a very audio savvy friend (and distributor) 2000 miles away had rebuked my thoughts on the OPPO 105D, saying he didn't like the SABRE DAC's, etc. I'd wished I could have demo'ed for him what the 105D was capable of doing but alas.

But recently my friend called me to say he's now quite impressed with and has a newfound respect for the OPPO as he got a chance to critically listen to it at a local friend's house. He didn't go into much detail but I was glad to hear of his discovery.

I'd love to see what OPPO could do if they were to design an all-out pedal-to-the-metal audio-only version of the OPPO. Like an all-aluminum chassis (to better transfer unwanted vibrations), remove the CD transport and the multi-channel board, step up the quality of the IEC inlet, the fuse, wires, and a few other tweaks here and there.

The OPPO already is a very serious performance contender as my Esoteric was no slouch and it cost $7500 more than the OPPO. But it was not even in the same league as the OPPO once I took advantage of some of the OPPO's other features.

I've no doubt what OPPO might do if they designed an audio-only all-out version.
Burning in a blu ray player?
post #13709 of 13900 Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Burning in a blu ray player?
How may I help you with your naïveté ???
post #13710 of 13900 Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stehno View Post
How may I help you with your naïveté ???
Please enlighten me?

Do you have those holders that keep your wires off of the floor too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player