Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 458 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 481Likes

post #13711 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Please enlighten me?

Do you have those holders that keep your wires off of the floor too
Yes, but they're called cable lifters and those are cryo-treated wires via the full-immersion method.

Like I asked earlier, how may I help you with your naivete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13712 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by miike88 View Post
Hi Bob!

First of all I'm miike888 but couldn't log into my account:/ so made a new one.

I had a friend over with REW and UMIK to make the necessary measurements on the oppo to see what is up.

after one hour of measurements through the USB DAC input we saw that throught that input there is no bass management only 2.0!

we had no other cables that day to try some other inputs.

so one question i have is which is the best way to use REW and an UMIK on a oppo 105?

And if we move back to the bassmangement issue i have i tried some things thou and strange is the first name.

i listened to music through Tidal and sat beside the subwoofer and wanted to try different crossovers so i went into the menu "speaker configuration" and just wanted to see what happened if i turned off the subwoofer(note:all speakers set to small)
here is the weird thing! nothing happened:/ the subwoofer was still playing i changed the front speakers to large and tried again on to off with the subwoofer but still nothing still playing!

i was thinking what the h.....is with this device

Hope to get some help on this bass management "issue" on the oppo!

Thanks in advance.

//Mike
The USB DAC Input goes *DIRECTLY* to the DACs. No audio processing in between. So as you discovered, that also means no Crossover processing.

If you want to send test audio tones through the 105 to check your bass setup you'll need to use Optical, Coax or HDMI audio input.

Your issue with the Sub and Tidal suggests something else is going on. Are your main speaker signal paths wired through the Subwoofer for example?

Try playing a regular CD which has bass content. Make sure DTS Neo:6 Mode is set to OFF in the OPPO so the surrounds are not active. Check whether you still have the inability to turn off the Subwoofer.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13713 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by stehno View Post
Yes, but they're called cable lifters and those are cryo-treated wires via the full-immersion method.

Like I asked earlier, how may I help you with your naivete?
Cable lifters and burning in of blu ray players and I am naive?

Please point me to a tech article that explains the benefits/changes to a blu ray player that is burned in (and then I will apologize)

This is the first I have heard of this. I have had the Oppo 105d for a couple of month now and it's sounds the same as the moment I plugged it in.

Thanks
Ray
tnargs likes this.
post #13714 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 10:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
Cable lifters and burning in of blu ray players and I am naive?
Since these topics are not specific to OPPO, we ask that people pursue them in the http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...ry-setup-chat/ forum.

-Bill
gsr, SeeMoreDigital and tnargs like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #13715 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Several people have claimed their 105 sounded harsh out of the box, and better after many hours of use. Maybe it's real, or maybe a placebo effect. Whatever, it's not worth fighting over here on the forum.
post #13716 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Since these topics are not specific to OPPO, we ask that people pursue them in the http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...ry-setup-chat/ forum.

-Bill
Sorry for getting off topic!

I am not that interested in that discussion so I will drop it.
post #13717 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry for getting off topic!

I am not that interested in that discussion so I will drop it.
Hi, Ray. Didn't mean to sound flippant earlier. Well, sorta' didn't mean to.

We are talking about the OPPO 105D which happens to be a Blu-Ray player.

No technical paper should convince us one way one or another of what we hear / don't hear. Only our hearing along with our interpretation of what we hear should do that. All a technical paper should do, is really just open up our minds a bit to subject matter we may not be familiar with.

That said, I'll just say this specifically about burn-in of the OPPO 105D, a blu-ray player.

If we assume just for the sake of argument that the burn-in concept is real, especially that of the OPPO 105D, then it should stand to reason that all formats compatible with the OPPO 105D should similarly require roughly the same burn-in. Especially since any potential burn-in process including wires, transistors, DACs, op-amps, etc which in and of themselves are indiscriminate regardless of the format being burned in.

The same reasoning should also apply to the use of the OPPO's CD transport vs using the USB ports.

My apologies, sir.

Last edited by stehno; 07-04-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #13718 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
No 'Dislike' button on tapatalk, drat.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

It's only a hobby
post #13719 of 13738 Old 07-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
No 'Dislike' button on tapatalk, drat.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Tell me about it. There's no toilet paper in this stall neither.
post #13720 of 13738 Old 07-05-2016, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The USB DAC Input goes *DIRECTLY* to the DACs. No audio processing in between. So as you discovered, that also means no Crossover processing.

If you want to send test audio tones through the 105 to check your bass setup you'll need to use Optical, Coax or HDMI audio input.

Your issue with the Sub and Tidal suggests something else is going on. Are your main speaker signal paths wired through the Subwoofer for example?

Try playing a regular CD which has bass content. Make sure DTS Neo:6 Mode is set to OFF in the OPPO so the surrounds are not active. Check whether you still have the inability to turn off the Subwoofer.
--Bob
Hi!

the speakers are wired to my 7-channel amplifier and thetis hooked to the oppo FL/FR to the oppo XLR and center speaker to RCA

//Mike
post #13721 of 13738 Old 07-05-2016, 06:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
^ Hang on. You've got the Thetis subwoofer wired to the Left Front / Right Front Analog outputs of the OPPO?

That's wrong. Cable from the Subwoofer output of the OPPO's multi-channel set to the line level input on the Subwoofer. If you want the OPPO to do Crossover processing, disable the Crossover built into the Subwoofer, or if that's not possible, crank it up to the highest available frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13722 of 13738 Old 07-05-2016, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Hang on. You've got the Thetis subwoofer wired to the Left Front / Right Front Analog outputs of the OPPO?

That's wrong. Cable from the Subwoofer output of the OPPO's multi-channel set to the line level input on the Subwoofer. If you want the OPPO to do Crossover processing, disable the Crossover built into the Subwoofer, or if that's not possible, crank it up to the highest available frequency to get it out of the way as much as possible.
--Bob
Haha.no!

i wanted to write that is but it went kind of wrong

Everything is hooked up exactly as it should! no props there.

I found out what was wrong!!!!:/

i tried to do these configurations when just listening to music directly from NAS and it worked perfect!

it is some issues with Tidal that do so you can't change crossover turn off subwoofer and so on.

i just hope the settings stay as i put them i "NAS" mode when i change to Tidal:/

This has to be addressed to OPPO so they can fix it in next software update!

does anybody know if the crossover slope is 24db on the OPPO?

nice to clear things up thou!

//Mike
post #13723 of 13738 Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Switching between DVD-Video and DVD-Audio without screen

Hi.

When a DVD-Audio folder played till its end the player starts DVD-Video folder. There is nothing I can do to play DVD-Audio again till the player finishes DVD-Video layer.

1. Does anybody know how to switch imperatively between DVD-Video and DVD-Audio folders of a DVD-Audio disc without a screen?

2. Is that possible to switch between these folders with a screen? I never used that with a screen. I play only audio discs on this player (BD-Audio, DVD-Audio, SACD)

Thanks
post #13724 of 13738 Old 07-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm getting an Oppo 105D, and I have a few question I need clearing up. I plan to use only the analog portion for the 2channel and 7.1channel. I am using an Onkyo 5008 AVR. When I plug in the 2channel analog cables and want to hear my music, I have an idea of which sound field, which maybe the 'Pure Audio'(or if you have a better idea, let me know).

My question is concerning the 7.1channels with movies. I'm asking if I choose the wrong sound field, wouldn't the Onkyo DAC control the conversation with making the outcome be totally from the Onkyo instead of the DAC from the oppo? If so, which sound field should I select to have the DAC play movies in 7.1 from the Oppo? Also, I have a feeling(and correct if I'm wrong) that I will not be able to use the 9.1(height speakers) by going the path with using the DAC from the Oppo, unless I am wrong and can use one of the height sound fields.
post #13725 of 13738 Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sending it back!

What was very odd, was the Analog and HDMI both sounded the same with music. I was able to switch back and forth between the 2 and if a person closed their eyes they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I believe I was trying to make myself hear a difference, but there was none. Setting up the Multichannel for movies, I heard a difference, but I didn't tweak it to my preference. I wasn't happy with the idea of the music sounding the same either way, and using Multichannel and losing the ability to go 9channel lost me with keeping the player.

I really loved the audio with 2channel which sounded fantastic, but since both sounded the same, I might as well get the 103. Yup, the 103 and not the 103D, I didn't see a $100 difference with the picture changes using the Darbee.
post #13726 of 13738 Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post
I'm getting an Oppo 105D. I plan to use only the analog portion for the 2channel and 7.1channel. I am using an Onkyo 5008 AVR. When I plug in the 2channel analog cables and want to hear my music, I have an idea of which sound field, which maybe the 'Pure Audio'(or if you have a better idea, let me know).

My question is concerning the 7.1channels with movies. I'm asking if I choose the wrong sound field, wouldn't the Onkyo DAC control the conversation with making the outcome be totally from the Onkyo instead of the DAC from the oppo?
I'm confused about what you are doing after reading your two posts. If you're passing analog output from the Oppo through the Onkyo, the Oppo DAC should prevail. If you use HDMI from the Oppo, the Onkyo DAC will prevail, in which case a 103 should serve as well as a 105. If the Oppo 105 and Onkyo 5008 DACs are sonically indistinguishable to you, then you might as well use the cheaper setup.
post #13727 of 13738 Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMP568 View Post
Sending it back!

What was very odd, was the Analog and HDMI both sounded the same with music. I was able to switch back and forth between the 2 and if a person closed their eyes they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I believe I was trying to make myself hear a difference, but there was none. Setting up the Multichannel for movies, I heard a difference, but I didn't tweak it to my preference. I wasn't happy with the idea of the music sounding the same either way, and using Multichannel and losing the ability to go 9channel lost me with keeping the player.

I really loved the audio with 2channel which sounded fantastic, but since both sounded the same, I might as well get the 103. Yup, the 103 and not the 103D, I didn't see a $100 difference with the picture changes using the Darbee.
On the Onkyo, you should be choosing the "pure direct" mode (or whatever Onkyo calls it) to bypass the DAC in the Onkyo to give you the best opportunity to evaluate the Oppo's DAC. However, you're still going to be using the Onkyo's preamp stage which probably isn't going to be good enough to present the Oppo at its best. If you happen to have separate amplifiers, one option would be to try connecting the Oppo directly to the amp, bypassing the Onkyo completely - if you do this, make sure you set the Oppo's volume control to variable instead of fixed in the settings and start out with a low volume level before playing anything. Otherwise, you're in for a very loud surprise.

The bottom line is that if you don't hear a difference or if configuring things so that you do is too inconvenient, the BDP-103 is still a fine player and is probably the best option for most people with AVR's, especially if you want to take advantage of the room correction functionality in the AVR. The difference in cost between the BDP-105 and BDP-103 could also go a long way toward upgrading the AVR to a better model, if you're so inclined.
post #13728 of 13738 Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What's the latest on when an Oppo 4K player may be announced?
post #13729 of 13738 Old 07-18-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 157
There's nothing new. Oppo has leaked that a player is in early design/build/test. Best guess is still late this year for an announcement. Whether availability for purchase will be immediately after that is anyone's guess. In the past, the gap between announcement and availability has usually been short. So maybe 4-6 more months to wait.

post #13730 of 13738 Old 07-18-2016, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Release date: July 18, 2016.
Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release
Main Version: BDP10X-83-0715B
Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1400 (BDP-103), 7B1400 (BDP-105, BDP-105D, BDP-103D)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), MCU15D-01-0930 (BDP-105D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D, 105D)

Special Notice:

Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Release Notes:

1. Resolved a no audio issue when connecting via HDMI Out 1 into VIZIO P-series 4K TVs.
2. Resolved a disc loading issue with the “A Walk in the Woods” Blu-ray Disc.
3. Resolved a playback issue where certain ALAC files would produce static noise.
4. Resolved an issue where the player would sometimes lock up when receiving the RS-232 command to launch VUDU.
5. Resolved an issue where HDMI Out 2 would sometimes output RGB regardless of the HDMI Out 2 color space settings.
6. Resolved an HDMI audio dropout issue that could occur when playing Blu-ray titles with a duration longer than three hours, such as Schindler’s List.
7. Resolved an issue where subtitles would sometimes randomly repeat when playing MKV files with embedded PGS subtitles.
8. Restored the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD audio tracks in MKV files when HDMI Audio is set to Bitstream. If you encounter a no audio issue when playing MKV files, we recommend setting the player’s HDMI Audio setting to Auto (Default) to force the player to output LPCM.
9. Improved compatibility with WAV files using ID3 tags.
arsMatrix likes this.

Last edited by Neuromancer; 07-18-2016 at 04:30 PM.
post #13731 of 13738 Old 07-19-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
does the youtube 4k stream comes natively in 4k from the oppo?

ps:i've tried the oppo105 with a bryston sp-3 and the sound was fantastic in analog mode.
post #13732 of 13738 Old 07-19-2016, 02:42 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post
does the youtube 4k stream comes natively in 4k from the oppo?

ps:i've tried the oppo105 with a bryston sp-3 and the sound was fantastic in analog mode.
No, the current Oppo players don't support any sort of input above 1080P.
post #13733 of 13738 Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Have you tried HDMI from the 105 to the SP3, i.e., using the SP3 DAC? I've tried both, and prefer the SP3 DAC.
post #13734 of 13738 Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Have you tried HDMI from the 105 to the SP3, i.e., using the SP3 DAC? I've tried both, and prefer the SP3 DAC.
yes, tried everything. did prefer the analog out from the oppo to the sp3, in both movies and music.
post #13735 of 13738 Old 07-20-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
No, the current Oppo players don't support any sort of input above 1080P.
i'll rephrase: if i use a youtube 4k content from the oppo interface, will it be outputed in 4k natively thru the hdmi out ?
post #13736 of 13738 Old 07-20-2016, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
i'll rephrase: if i use a youtube 4k content from the oppo interface, will it be outputed in 4k natively thru the hdmi out ?
Nope... It does not work like this audiman!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #13737 of 13738 Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
You can't play content that comes into the player as 4K on the current Oppo players, you're limited to a maximum of 1080P on the input (which includes apps, physical media such as DVD's and Bluray's, streamed media, media played over your local network, and so on).

The Oppo can scale that content to 4K to send to your display, but it won't be native 4K - it will be whatever the original resolution was scaled to 4K.
post #13738 of 13738 Old Today, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:
If you have a 4K youtube video and you surf to it with the Oppo, there will be no 4K video option to select, it will be the 1080P stream (at the absolute highest.)

If you had a 720P projector I'm not sure if the oppo would scale-down the 1080P stream or just select the 720P stream. Either way, it will be 720P, in that case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player