Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 459 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 481Likes

post #13741 of 13749 Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Quote:
Originally Posted by miike88 View Post
does anybody know if the crossover slope is 24db on the OPPO?
It is 12db.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13742 of 13749 Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question re speaker distance settings

I assume the speaker distance settings apply whenever the Oppo is playing digital, i.e. Blu-ray or HDMI content, but a) do they apply to a digital stream feeding the rear USB input? or b) do they apply when using the balanced analog outputs?
post #13743 of 13749 Old 07-28-2016, 05:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolezalek View Post
I assume the speaker distance settings apply whenever the Oppo is playing digital, i.e. Blu-ray or HDMI content, but a) do they apply to a digital stream feeding the rear USB input? or b) do they apply when using the balanced analog outputs?
Speaker distance adjustments DO apply to media files read from a hard drive attached to one of the rear, USB, peripheral ports (thin rectangular socket), but do NOT apply to stereo audio sent into the USB DAC port (square socket).

EXCEPTION: When playing media file content from a hard drive attached to a USB peripheral port in DSD digital audio format (the format used on SACD discs), whether or not audio processing happens depends on the SACD Output setting. If you have DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion engaged, the DSD goes directly to the DACs -- so audio processing, including speaker distance adjustment, is bypassed.

Audio sent into the USB DAC port always goes DIRECTLY to the DACs, thus always bypassing all audio processing, regardless of other settings. Meaning you get just Volume control.

The Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) are controlled by the Stereo Signal setting. When that is set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO, the Dedicated L/R outs operate independently of the Speaker Configuration settings for the multi-channel outs. You get a "Stereo" down-mix, with no per-speaker volume trim, no distance adjustment, and no crossover processing -- i.e., they are treated as LARGE. (Main Volume and Mute still apply.)

When set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, the Dedicated L/R outs respond to all the settings that would normally affect the Left Front and Right Front outs of the multichannel Analog set -- including speaker distance adjustment. The intent is that you will wire a Dedicated L/R pair INSTEAD of wiring LF/RF from the multichannel Analog set.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 07-28-2016 at 05:42 AM.
post #13744 of 13749 Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Speaker distance adjustments DO apply to media files read from a hard drive attached to one of the rear, USB, peripheral ports (thin rectangular socket), but do NOT apply to stereo audio sent into the USB DAC port (square socket).

EXCEPTION: When playing media file content from a hard drive attached to a USB peripheral port in DSD digital audio format (the format used on SACD discs), whether or not audio processing happens depends on the SACD Output setting. If you have DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion engaged, the DSD goes directly to the DACs -- so audio processing, including speaker distance adjustment, is bypassed.

Audio sent into the USB DAC port always goes DIRECTLY to the DACs, thus always bypassing all audio processing, regardless of other settings. Meaning you get just Volume control.

The Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) are controlled by the Stereo Signal setting. When that is set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO, the Dedicated L/R outs operate independently of the Speaker Configuration settings for the multi-channel outs. You get a "Stereo" down-mix, with no per-speaker volume trim, no distance adjustment, and no crossover processing -- i.e., they are treated as LARGE. (Main Volume and Mute still apply.)

When set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, the Dedicated L/R outs respond to all the settings that would normally affect the Left Front and Right Front outs of the multichannel Analog set -- including speaker distance adjustment. The intent is that you will wire a Dedicated L/R pair INSTEAD of wiring LF/RF from the multichannel Analog set.
--Bob
Terrifically clear answer. Thank you. I'm using HQPlayer to upsample files sent to the USB DAC port to DSD128 and HQPlayer has very granular (down to the centimeter) distance adjustments, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doubling up by also having the speaker distance active in the Oppo when playing hi-res music files this way.
post #13745 of 13749 Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had our new BDP-105D for a few weeks. Where is the best place to buy high resolution "studio" quality .flac and DSD files of classical music? My investigations online so far indicate that it is the wild west, and that some sources provide files are true high resolution, and some are just upconverted from CD format.

thanks

Keith
post #13746 of 13749 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
post #13747 of 13749 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hdtracks.com is another option. Sign up and they send you discounts monthly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source (F), Matinee (C), MotionFX (S), Motion4 (.4), (2) Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #13748 of 13749 Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerman1226 View Post
After installing the latest beta update, I am getting a low "thump" between songs when playing 24-bit flac files in gapless mod. It doesn't happen with non hi-res flac files. Anyone else experiencing this?
I checked through Beta Tester channels at OPPO and so far it doesn't look like anyone else is hearing this.

Whenever I read about track transition glitches, my first thought is that there's a form of Ground Loop problem -- perhaps a DC bias in the Analog audio path so that Mute is not really 0 volts. But I would expect that to show for all file types.

If the problem is easily repeatable, your best bet is to get a small set of gapless files that exhibit the problem to OPPO Tech Support so they can have the engineers check them out in the lab.

-----------------------------------

Another thing you can try is a reset of the player.

Start by setting Energy Efficient (instead of Quick Start) and doing a power cycle. Energy Efficient means the player does a complete reboot when powered up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13749 of 13749 Old Today, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. nativedsd looks very promising, but hdtracks provides practically no information on the source format; for all I can tell, the high definition FLAC offerings may be no more than upsampled CD's. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page