Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 460 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 485Likes

post #13771 of 13789 Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
A friend of mine sold me (practically gave it away) the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c Cd Player, I have always liked the way this unit sounds. Since the player is older it does not provide usb inputs for hard drives, etc. I am wondering if I could use the Oppo 105 as a USB transport unit and then listen to music using the Cambridge Dacs.

Is there a way to do this without passing the audio signal through the Oppo dacs?
Yes. and you'd have to use the optical or SP/dif output from the Oppo to the equal input of the CA.
Your USB files would also need to be compatible with the player and there are also restrictions on
what can be output over those outputs on any given player including the Oppo.
If you are primarily talking redbook audio, then you are good to go.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 13789 Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Yes. and you'd have to use the optical or SP/dif output from the Oppo to the equal input of the CA.
Your USB files would also need to be compatible with the player and there are also restrictions on
what can be output over those outputs on any given player including the Oppo.
If you are primarily talking redbook audio, then you are good to go.
Excellent, Thank you.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #13773 of 13789 Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmcdonald View Post
Where is the best place to buy high resolution "studio" quality .flac and DSD files of classical music?
www.aixrecords.com
www.channelclassics.com
www.naxos.com/blu-ray_audio.asp
www.eclassical.com
www.prestoclassical.co.uk
www.nativedsd.com
www.hdtracks.com
www.DSDfile.com
www.2l.no
www.pentatonemusic.com
www.highresaudio.com
www.highdeftapetransfers.com
www.qobuz.com
www.onkyomusic.com
http://ototoy.jp/top
http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez
http://downloadsnow.net
http://creamusic.net/classical/308-v...dvd-audio.html
Also check out Berlin Philharmonic's digitalconcerthall.com even though it's only 256kbits AAC (but their in-house label for purchase has up to 192/24!)

I listen to 99.9% classical/opera and still buy physical media (SACDs, Blu-ray DVD-Audio) more than streaming or downloads. My latest acquisition was the Solti RING on a single Blu-ray DVD-A, amazing!)
Smarty-pants likes this.

---
Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Head-amp: Pathos Aurium
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphone: AKG K812 Pro, K553, Sennheiser HD600
post #13774 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
A friend of mine sold me (practically gave it away) the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c Cd Player, I have always liked the way this unit sounds. Since the player is older it does not provide usb inputs for hard drives, etc. I am wondering if I could use the Oppo 105 as a USB transport unit and then listen to music using the Cambridge Dacs.

Is there a way to do this without passing the audio signal through the Oppo dacs?
Have you A/B compared them? IMO the Oppo 105 is heads and shoulders above that Cambridge in sq...
post #13775 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarth View Post
Have you A/B compared them? IMO the Oppo 105 is heads and shoulders above that Cambridge in sq...
It's like some people buying high-end turntables for their old vinyls thinking they sound better than hi-res audio. Always cracks me up.

---
Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Head-amp: Pathos Aurium
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphone: AKG K812 Pro, K553, Sennheiser HD600
post #13776 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
It's like some people buying high-end turntables for their old vinyls thinking they sound better than hi-res audio. Always cracks me up.
I always respect people's perception as I like people to respect mine. I asked a question and it was answered by Smarty-pants, your comments do not contribute to my original concern, therefore your comment is just condescending.
Arrius likes this.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #13777 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
quick question.
am i better off with a 105 or 103?
my uncle has both and is getting a 105d so he told me to pick either one of his older ones(103 or 105) to keep.
i currently have a decent onkyo 709 receiver and a Samsung KS8000 TV if that helps
post #13778 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The only reason to get the 105 is for its superior analog audio decoding and ability to plug in music files directly from a computer via its USB port. For most people, the 103 makes more sense. But...if you can pick either one and don't have to pay any more, then take the 105 for its future greater resale value.

post #13779 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The only reason to get the 105 is for its superior analog audio decoding and ability to plug in music files directly from a computer via its USB port. For most people, the 103 makes more sense. But...if you can pick either one and don't have to pay any more, then take the 105 for its future greater resale value.
i was leaning towards the 105 as well the only concern was if i had enough space in my entertainment cabinet.
is there any minimum space the 105 needs for air flow?
post #13780 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The 105 also has a head phone jack.
post #13781 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
The 105 also has a head phone jack.
is it any good? i have some Senheisser HD650s but haven't gotten around to getting a dedicated amp for them.
post #13782 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama View Post
is it any good? i have some Senheisser HD650s but haven't gotten around to getting a dedicated amp for them.
I have the same Senheisser HD650s and they sound great for me. The DAC section is the same that is used for the analog out.
post #13783 of 13789 Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 60
That's a yes btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source (F), Matinee (C), MotionFX (S), Motion4 (.4), (2) Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #13784 of 13789 Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama View Post
i was leaning towards the 105 as well the only concern was if i had enough space in my entertainment cabinet.
is there any minimum space the 105 needs for air flow?
When it comes to a free Oppo player, you just find a way to make room for it.
Yes you will need to have some space above the 105 for heat dissipation.
How much room depends on how closed off the player is on all sides.
The 105 is also vented on top and doesn't really run "hot" the majority of the time.
You might get away with just a few inches, but more if you want to play it safe.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #13785 of 13789 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Technical query of a problem kind but not been able to find anything through the search function so apologies if it's came up before.

I also suspect the solution is a repair or check via an engineer but thought I would check here.

Recently been rebuilding my system and the Oppo has returned to being my main stereo player-which is my main use-stereo reproduction.

A few things changed in my system prior to the problem occurring so here is the background.

I bought a new Sony TV. I got a new amp and speakers. Things were working fine the first week. I decided to try using the Oppo as an input via optical digital cable from my TV to put the sound through my system. Worked fine after a bit of jiggling about. I did find though that you had to re-power the Oppo to get the input option to work again-a bit fiddly and annoying. Shortly after this I started to get audio drop outs when listening to music-quite often after powering up....just a few seconds where the stereo sound would drop out. I thought it might be related to the digital in being used so I dropped this off by removing the cable etc.

I am pretty certain all audio settings are as should be but I still get the drop outs on an intermittent basis-again often after initially powering the Oppo up-I tend to put it on standby-I find a power down causes the problem to go but the odd time even then you get a drop out.

It is not the new amp as I have set up an old Sony Blu Ray and cannot re-create the effect playing music from that. It will do it on the Oppo whether I am using balanced cables or RCA's. So it is affecting both audio outputs.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
post #13786 of 13789 Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
^ My guess would be that you are getting copy protection check failures on the HDMI signal path and the audio is getting muted while the system does an HDMI retry.

To test that, get some audio playing and then physically disconnect the HDMI outputs from the OPPO. You will get an audio cut out while the player reacts to the fact that it is no longer connected via HDMI, and then the Analog audio output you are using should come back. The question is, do you get any Analog audio dropouts while there's no HDMI connected?

You should also not have HDMI Input cables connected to the OPPO. And of course if you are playing something simple like a CD you can disconnect the HDMI outputs before even powering up the player since you won't need video to get that going.

Now, if you discover that removing the HDMI connections cures the problem, then you need to look to your HDMI cabling.

Since you have new gear, you may also have new HDMI cabling. One common problem with new cables is that they are still kinky from the packaging, and that puts tension on the plugs in the sockets. It only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw up the connection. So make sure all the plugs are fully inserted straight into their sockets with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks) tugging on the plugs. HDMI is an end to end protocol so you have to check the entire length of the HDMI signal path.

Other potential HDMi problems can come from the length of the cables you are using and your choice of Resolution and Deep Color. For example, if you are now using 4K video with your new display, your cables may not be up to the task.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13787 of 13789 Old Today, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ My guess would be that you are getting copy protection check failures on the HDMI signal path and the audio is getting muted while the system does an HDMI retry.

To test that, get some audio playing and then physically disconnect the HDMI outputs from the OPPO. You will get an audio cut out while the player reacts to the fact that it is no longer connected via HDMI, and then the Analog audio output you are using should come back. The question is, do you get any Analog audio dropouts while there's no HDMI connected?

You should also not have HDMI Input cables connected to the OPPO. And of course if you are playing something simple like a CD you can disconnect the HDMI outputs before even powering up the player since you won't need video to get that going.

Now, if you discover that removing the HDMI connections cures the problem, then you need to look to your HDMI cabling.

Since you have new gear, you may also have new HDMI cabling. One common problem with new cables is that they are still kinky from the packaging, and that puts tension on the plugs in the sockets. It only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw up the connection. So make sure all the plugs are fully inserted straight into their sockets with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks) tugging on the plugs. HDMI is an end to end protocol so you have to check the entire length of the HDMI signal path.

Other potential HDMi problems can come from the length of the cables you are using and your choice of Resolution and Deep Color. For example, if you are now using 4K video with your new display, your cables may not be up to the task.
--Bob
Bob Thanks actually think I might have changed the HDMI cable recently when resorting the TV. I don't use an HDMI input however the HDMI is always connected to the TV so you might well be correct.

I will update with my findings so that others may benefit. You are an absolute credit to these forums.
post #13788 of 13789 Old Today, 01:32 AM

Interestingly enough my Oppo HDMI set up was the cable furthest stretched to make the input-on the side rather than in the centre so I've changed that about-probably could do with looking at the quality of the cable as well but will test as recommended when it's a decent time to try music.
post #13789 of 13789 Old Today, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post
Interestingly enough my Oppo HDMI set up was the cable furthest stretched to make the input-on the side rather than in the centre so I've changed that about-probably could do with looking at the quality of the cable as well but will test as recommended when it's a decent time to try music.
Just to add removing the HDMI cable whilst playing music totally recreates the identical type of drop out I was experiencing -so it looks very like the case this is the root cause. I haven't had a repeat since changing my cables about but I will continue to monitor this.

Thanks again Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player