Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 462 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 491Likes

post #13831 of 13849 Old 09-21-2016, 03:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
I thought XLR for analog output that's why I using it specific for music. no? if they are both analog and digital then I should be fine using xlr for both movies and music!! Thanks.
Your amp only has analog inputs. XLR and RCA are just 2 different types of connections. They aren't both analog and digital - they're analog. Looking at this image (which is of a BDP-105D, but the connections are the same):

The outputs marked "STEREO AUDIO OUT", "XLR BALANCED STEREO AUDIO OUT", "FR", "FL", "SR", "SL", "SW", "C", "SBR", and "SBL" are all analog outputs; any of which could be connected to inputs on your amp as needed.
jvinhj240 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13832 of 13849 Old 09-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, the XLR act of FL and FR?
post #13833 of 13849 Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
So, the XLR act of FL and FR?
The XLR Balanced Stereo Audio Out and RCA Stereo Audio Out can act as FL and FR or they can be configured to contain a 2 channel downmix of what's currently playing. Page 76 of the BDP-105D user manual explains the options:

Quote:
Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals. The available options are:
  • Down-mixed Stereo – The stereo or down-mixed stereo signals are processed and sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals.
  • Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC hardware originally as signed to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multi-channel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output. When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected.
In your case, you would want to select the front left/right option, which will send the dedicated stereo outputs the same content that the FL/FR outputs get, but using the better DAC configuration for those outputs.

Last edited by gsr; 09-22-2016 at 03:43 AM.
post #13834 of 13849 Old 09-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok , make alot of sense now. Thank you.
post #13835 of 13849 Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
with the pending release of the 203, the 205 can't be far behind

i'd love a 5 series Oppo for 2 channel audio, wonder what discount will be put on the new old stock and the used market?

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
SVS Prime Towers, Prime Centre, SB-2000 sub
Shaw HDPVR-630
Thorens TD160, Pioneer PL-512, PS3
post #13836 of 13849 Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcugk View Post

i'd love a 5 series Oppo for 2 channel audio, wonder what discount will be put on the new old stock and the used market?
203 = Q4 2016
205 = Q4 2017

I doubt 205 will improve on the 2.0 or 5.1 audio of 105, most likely it'll only add extras like built-in Wifi and BT... and I have no need for 4K, so I'm keeping my 105 forever.

---
Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Head-amp: Pathos Aurium
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphone: AKG K812 Pro, K553, Sennheiser HD600
post #13837 of 13849 Old 09-23-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcugk View Post

I am not sure Wolfy above is correct in assuming a 205 player will not improve on analog audio over a 105 or 105D.
We have seen Special Editions of the 10x players in other countries over the past couple years,
so perhaps they may take some engineering of those players and incorporate it into a new player,
but no matter what product it is, it can always be improved upon.
I'd be willing to bet, at the very least, they will probably include a newer 32bit DAC since that is what the market is trending to.
Who knows what else could be improved upon, but of course they have to keep it affordable compared to ultra high end
audiophile gear out there, so it won't be too crazy, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I also don't know if they will discount old stock of 10x players, but it's doubtful based on their past sales tactics.
Technically the BDP-105 has already been discontinued for like a year now, and replaced by the 105D version.
They still sell both versions of the 103 model though.
They have also had small mass quantities of refurbished players in the past at a substantial discount.
Oppo has attached the same full warranty to them that was included with a brand new player,
and pretty much everyone who purchased one of their refurbished players claimed they were indistinguishable
from a brand new player, and functioned and a new player too, so that deemed to be a good buy for those customers.
If you are interested in such a player, you can check their website, and if they don't have any in stock,
some people have been known to get one by contacting them directly, and Oppo comes up with one or they
can put you on a waiting list.
As far as I know though, I don't think they have ever offered discounts on their brand new players.
...not even when a new player comes to market. Some people surmised that some of the refurbished players
they sold were actually new stock sold as refurbs, but I can not confirm that.

In general, oppo feels that their products are competitively priced compared to the competition and offer
great features, performance and support for the price paid.
Other brands start out with overinflated prices and then you get 10-20% off on release day,
and maybe more as the product ages or sales slump, but again Oppo doesn't play that game.
Heck I just bought a new AVR at a huge discount compared to it's original MSRP and I feel it's
still probably not worth what I paid for it, but c'est la vie as they say.
What you don't find, is people saying the same thing about their Oppo players.
woof07 likes this.
post #13838 of 13849 Old 09-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Public Beta Firmware BDP10X-83-0918B Released for the OPPO 10x Players

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-83-0918B.aspx

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105 and BDP-105D Blu-ray Disc players.

Special Notice:
Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you CAN revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the current Official release version BDP10X-83-0715, the major changes included in this version are:

1) Resolved a no audio issue with certain receivers when playing DD+ 5.1 content from Netflix and Vudu.
2) Resolved an issue where the player would automatically power off when receiving commands via a TCP connection.
3) General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples

All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13839 of 13849 Old 09-28-2016, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello !

the 105D is a beautiful audio player, specially on DSF files. But not gapless :-(

Here the answer I just received from Oppo team :

"The ability to support Gapless Playback for DSD files is being investigated, but at the moment the player will not support any form of Gapless Playback for file types like AIFF, ALAC and DSD."

So if we are many people to ask for gapless, it may work :-)

Another point : it is connected to a preAmp (Karan) via XLR. I have noticed a weird behavior : if I switch on the Oppo before switching on the preAmp, there is no sound. If I switch on the preAmp first, then the oppo, then it works perfectly. Don't understand why.

Thx
post #13840 of 13849 Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyapounov View Post
Hello !

the 105D is a beautiful audio player, specially on DSF files. But not gapless :-(

Here the answer I just received from Oppo team :

"The ability to support Gapless Playback for DSD files is being investigated, but at the moment the player will not support any form of Gapless Playback for file types like AIFF, ALAC and DSD."

So if we are many people to ask for gapless, it may work :-)

Thx
I would agree and have requested this from Oppo in the past as well.
If it doesn't work in the 10x players, then it probably won't work in the 20x players either,
and if it gets fixed for either one of them, it will likely get migrated to the other series as well (at least I hope so).
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it though. They likely have a long list of priorities right now,
and this one is probably near the bottom.
post #13841 of 13849 Old Today, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I currently have a 105D installed in my 2ch music and love it. My father recently purchased a 105D and uses the 5.1 channel analog outputs to a Sony DA777ES receiver (5 channel analog input). He recently purchased a Panasonic UB900 4K UHD player. The Panasonic UHD player has 2 HDMI outputs, HDMI 1 output is Video/Audio, HDMI 2 is Audio Only. Is it possible to connect the HDMI 2 output which is audio only to the HDMI input on the back of the 105D? Could the 105D process the audio from the Panasonic player?

Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Marantz SR6010 - Samsung UBD-K8500 - Samsung 65JS8500 (calibrated) - Definitive Technology BP-8060ST
Definitive Technology CS-8060HD - Definitive Technology SR-8040BP -
Definitive Technology PM800 (4) ceiling mounted - SVS PC12-NSD (2)

2 Channel Marantz PM8004 - Oppo BDP-105D - Music Hall MMF-5.1 - iFi iPhono - Paradigm 7se MkII
post #13842 of 13849 Old Today, 11:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post
The Panasonic UHD player has 2 HDMI outputs, HDMI 1 output is Video/Audio, HDMI 2 is Audio Only. Is it possible to connect the HDMI 2 output which is audio only to the HDMI input on the back of the 105D? Could the 105D process the audio from the Panasonic player?
That should work. Just be aware that the Oppo won't accept Dolby True HD or DTS HD bitstreams, so you would need to convert those to LPCM before sending the audio to the Oppo.
post #13843 of 13849 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^^^ Thank you and yes, it is working perfect with audio sent as PCM from the Panasonic UHD player

Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Marantz SR6010 - Samsung UBD-K8500 - Samsung 65JS8500 (calibrated) - Definitive Technology BP-8060ST
Definitive Technology CS-8060HD - Definitive Technology SR-8040BP -
Definitive Technology PM800 (4) ceiling mounted - SVS PC12-NSD (2)

2 Channel Marantz PM8004 - Oppo BDP-105D - Music Hall MMF-5.1 - iFi iPhono - Paradigm 7se MkII
post #13844 of 13849 Old Today, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
A friend of mine sold me (practically gave it away) the Cambridge Audio Azur 840c Cd Player, I have always liked the way this unit sounds. Since the player is older it does not provide usb inputs for hard drives, etc. I am wondering if I could use the Oppo 105 as a USB transport unit and then listen to music using the Cambridge Dacs.

Is there a way to do this without passing the audio signal through the Oppo dacs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarth View Post
Have you A/B compared them? IMO the Oppo 105 is heads and shoulders above that Cambridge in sq...
I gave my 840C away as well to someone who couldn't afford a system. He really likes it. The OPPO 105 sounds much better playing Redbook CD's (classical and jazz) directly or via digital inputs than the 840C. I also tried, but didn't keep, a Cambridge 851D DAC. Same result, the OPPO 105 was better. A Benchmark DAC2 HGC was (is) better than any of these options. It's of course more expensive if budget is an issue.
post #13845 of 13849 Old Today, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My oppo 105 keep on freezing when I switch source. It does it everyday if I want to change let say from USB to netflix, or While netflix and HMDI input. Anyone have this problem?
post #13846 of 13849 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Well just got my Oppo back from repairs, Oppo's service is Class A all around.

I have been saving all of my blu ray library to hard drives, so far so good.

I have a question, some of the early Harry Potter blu ray discs feature a 5.1 PCM soundtrack of very good quality that I would like to save, but it shows as Audio not supported when I try to play it back on the Oppo using the front USB input (actually, the audio is not supported shows on every other device that I have as well)

So all other tittles have been working flawlessly with the exeption of a few Harry Potter tittles with the PCM 5.1 soundtrack, Is there anything else I can do? Should I choose the lower quality Digital mix available?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #13847 of 13849 Old Today, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
It's like some people buying high-end turntables for their old vinyls thinking they sound better than hi-res audio. Always cracks me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
I always respect people's perception as I like people to respect mine. I asked a question and it was answered by Smarty-pants, your comments do not contribute to my original concern, therefore your comment is just condescending.
Luismarnrara, it would seem that you would want responses to your post that contributed to answering or resolving your original concern or question. In your post you didn't ask for help in expanding on your original text, that is "contribute to my original concern."

Condescending usually includes an element of patronizing. If Wolfy701's response was directed at you, which evidently it was, it certainly wasn't patronizing. It was direct.

Normally I wouldn't bring up the above issues with a post. I would just ignore them. I'm just doing so to show how unproductive doing so is!

Lots of people disagree with others perceptions, judgments, perhaps even what day of the week it is, on this forum, often in very abrupt terms. This forum has a free exchange of ideas (think 1st Amendment). Creating a sweeter, nicer environment, with lots of concern for PC, would take a lot away from it. Ignoring what is disagreeable, and that varies greatly with the individual, is likely the best choice.
post #13848 of 13849 Old Today, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

So, I just found out that the software I am using to rip has some problems with PCM soundtracks.

post #13849 of 13849 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Luismarnrara, it would seem that you would want responses to your post that contributed to answering or resolving your original concern or question. In your post you didn't ask for help in expanding on your original text, that is "contribute to my original concern."

Condescending usually includes an element of patronizing. If Wolfy701's response was directed at you, which evidently it was, it certainly wasn't patronizing. It was direct.

Normally I wouldn't bring up the above issues with a post. I would just ignore them. I'm just doing so to show how unproductive doing so is!

Lots of people disagree with others perceptions, judgments, perhaps even what day of the week it is, on this forum, often in very abrupt terms. This forum has a free exchange of ideas (think 1st Amendment). Creating a sweeter, nicer environment, with lots of concern for PC, would take a lot away from it. Ignoring what is disagreeable, and that varies greatly with the individual, is likely the best choice.
Really?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page