Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 462 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 491Likes

post #13831 of 13837 Old 09-21-2016, 03:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
I thought XLR for analog output that's why I using it specific for music. no? if they are both analog and digital then I should be fine using xlr for both movies and music!! Thanks.
Your amp only has analog inputs. XLR and RCA are just 2 different types of connections. They aren't both analog and digital - they're analog. Looking at this image (which is of a BDP-105D, but the connections are the same):

The outputs marked "STEREO AUDIO OUT", "XLR BALANCED STEREO AUDIO OUT", "FR", "FL", "SR", "SL", "SW", "C", "SBR", and "SBL" are all analog outputs; any of which could be connected to inputs on your amp as needed.
jvinhj240 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13832 of 13837 Old 09-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, the XLR act of FL and FR?
post #13833 of 13837 Old 09-21-2016, 07:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvinhj240 View Post
So, the XLR act of FL and FR?
The XLR Balanced Stereo Audio Out and RCA Stereo Audio Out can act as FL and FR or they can be configured to contain a 2 channel downmix of what's currently playing. Page 76 of the BDP-105D user manual explains the options:

Quote:
Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO and the XLR BALANCED STEREO audio terminals. The available options are:
  • Down-mixed Stereo – The stereo or down-mixed stereo signals are processed and sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals.
  • Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC hardware originally as signed to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multi-channel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output. When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group. The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected.
In your case, you would want to select the front left/right option, which will send the dedicated stereo outputs the same content that the FL/FR outputs get, but using the better DAC configuration for those outputs.

Last edited by gsr; 09-22-2016 at 03:43 AM.
post #13834 of 13837 Old 09-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok , make alot of sense now. Thank you.
post #13835 of 13837 Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
with the pending release of the 203, the 205 can't be far behind

i'd love a 5 series Oppo for 2 channel audio, wonder what discount will be put on the new old stock and the used market?

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510
Oppo 103
SVS Prime Towers, Prime Centre, SB-2000 sub
Shaw HDPVR-630
Thorens TD160, Pioneer PL-512, PS3
post #13836 of 13837 Old 09-23-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcugk View Post

i'd love a 5 series Oppo for 2 channel audio, wonder what discount will be put on the new old stock and the used market?
203 = Q4 2016
205 = Q4 2017

I doubt 205 will improve on the 2.0 or 5.1 audio of 105, most likely it'll only add extras like built-in Wifi and BT... and I have no need for 4K, so I'm keeping my 105 forever.

---
Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/JRMC upsampling to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Head-amp: Pathos Aurium
AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010
Headphone: AKG K812 Pro, K553, Sennheiser HD600
post #13837 of 13837 Old 09-23-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcugk View Post

I am not sure Wolfy above is correct in assuming a 205 player will not improve on analog audio over a 105 or 105D.
We have seen Special Editions of the 10x players in other countries over the past couple years,
so perhaps they may take some engineering of those players and incorporate it into a new player,
but no matter what product it is, it can always be improved upon.
I'd be willing to bet, at the very least, they will probably include a newer 32bit DAC since that is what the market is trending to.
Who knows what else could be improved upon, but of course they have to keep it affordable compared to ultra high end
audiophile gear out there, so it won't be too crazy, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I also don't know if they will discount old stock of 10x players, but it's doubtful based on their past sales tactics.
Technically the BDP-105 has already been discontinued for like a year now, and replaced by the 105D version.
They still sell both versions of the 103 model though.
They have also had small mass quantities of refurbished players in the past at a substantial discount.
Oppo has attached the same full warranty to them that was included with a brand new player,
and pretty much everyone who purchased one of their refurbished players claimed they were indistinguishable
from a brand new player, and functioned and a new player too, so that deemed to be a good buy for those customers.
If you are interested in such a player, you can check their website, and if they don't have any in stock,
some people have been known to get one by contacting them directly, and Oppo comes up with one or they
can put you on a waiting list.
As far as I know though, I don't think they have ever offered discounts on their brand new players.
...not even when a new player comes to market. Some people surmised that some of the refurbished players
they sold were actually new stock sold as refurbs, but I can not confirm that.

In general, oppo feels that their products are competitively priced compared to the competition and offer
great features, performance and support for the price paid.
Other brands start out with overinflated prices and then you get 10-20% off on release day,
and maybe more as the product ages or sales slump, but again Oppo doesn't play that game.
Heck I just bought a new AVR at a huge discount compared to it's original MSRP and I feel it's
still probably not worth what I paid for it, but c'est la vie as they say.
What you don't find, is people saying the same thing about their Oppo players.
woof07 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page