Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 464 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 493Likes

post #13891 of 13918 Old 11-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliran.I View Post
Hello everyone!
I wanted to share my experience with the Oppo BDP-105D I purchased about one month ago. Overall, I am very impressed with its video processing capabilities as my satellite box is connected to it to upscale and improve PQ. I can't comment on Blu ray quality since I never had a BD player before but it's phenomenon!
I also bought it in the notion I could use it as a Netflix streamer (which does a very good job with overall satisfying PQ). However, yesterday I discovered, while exploring the Netflix app on my LG OLED, that Netflix provide a lot more subtitles (such as Herbrew, Russian, Romanian, Arabic and more) that I wasn't even aware that are available because on Oppo's Netflix I was only able to choose between English and Polish subtitles!
I contacted Netflix regarding this matter and after chatting with them for more than 40min (while he checked the issue with their tech team), he informed me that because the Netflix version on the Oppo is outdated, it doesn't support the streaming of all the subtitles that are available from Netflix (my version is 2013.2.4). Netflix also said there shouldn't be a problem for Oppo to provide an updated version of Netflix for their Blu Ray players and they will also forward this matter to Oppo in order to speed up this process up. After ending my conversation with Netflix, I decided to send an email to Oppo to find out if they are aware of this issue or have a fix for that.
Here is their respond to my inquiry:

"Eliran,

Unfortunately the player will not support Unicode, and we do not have any font libraries for foreign languages like Hebrew. We do hope to allow for this in our upcoming UHD players as they have new increased functionality and memory functions.

Best Regards,

Customer Service "

I wasn't expecting to receive such answer from a reputable company who is renowned for their "fantastic" customer service. I just paid one month ago 1800$ for a Blu Ray player that I am not able to get any updates for its applications? Moreover, this is something they are proud of and market it as a Netflix media support. It even has a special button on the remote for 'Netflix' so providing this small update is impossible?! I just bought their flagship player and now because they are about to release a new player, I need to buy the new one instead in order to enjoy the "new" capabilities?!
The other thing that doesn't make any sense is the support of Unicode that the representative claimed the player doesn't support. How come I am able to watch movies with foreign subtitles such as Hebrew using a simple SRT file? If there was no support by the player, I wouldn't be able to do that. How come in the 'Setup Menu' under 'Language' I can choose Hebrew in the 'Subtitle Language' section?
The worst part is that before I purchased the Oppo and I went to the store, they confirmed the full support of all languages even on Netflix! That is a big mislead and I really feel like I got cheated!

I would be happy to hear your experience regarding to these issues, if anyone encountered them. Also, it will be a great thing if some of the owners will complain about this issue too so maybe putting some pressure on Oppo will lead to a good outcome.

Thanks!

Your issue seems to be primarily with the functionality and limitations of the interface for external streaming services built into the Oppo. I use a Roku 3 with the hdmi input on the oppo. Now, you have the full functionality of all Roku streaming channels (that are kept current) with the benefit of superior audio and video processing of the oppo. Best of both worlds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13892 of 13918 Old 11-23-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Purchased a Marantz av7702mkii to replace my aging Rotel 1068. If I want the Marantz to decode versus the Oppo I set the hdmi output to bitstream?

Thanks for any help!

Shane
post #13893 of 13918 Old 11-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUShane View Post
Purchased a Marantz av7702mkii to replace my aging Rotel 1068. If I want the Marantz to decode versus the Oppo I set the hdmi output to bitstream?

Thanks for any help!

Shane
Shane,

That is what I do on a -95. I haven't any reason to think that the -105 wonder box would be any different.

Congrats on your unit, and enjoy.

Mike

post #13894 of 13918 Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I've been playing with the Deep Colour setting on my 105. I use HDMI2 out so there are only 3 options, 36 bit, 30 bit, and off which is 24 bit. It doesn't matter which setting I choose, when I check the Info display, it tells me that HDMI2 is outputting 24 bits. If I swap to HDMI1 out, I get more options and the Info display reports that the 105 is outputting whatever I select.

So, there is obviously a problem with HDMI2 and Deep Colour. Either there is no deep colour output, the options in the HDMI Options panel are wrong, and the Info display is reporting things correctly, or HDMI2 does deliver deep colour output but the Info display reports output from HDMI2 incorrectly. I'm not certain which it is, there are times when I think I can see a difference with Deep Colour on and times when I don't think I can see a difference and the manual says the difference is subtle if it does make a difference but either way there is a problem. Either there are no deep colour options for HDMI2 out in which case the settings menu is wrong, or there is deep colour output and the Info display is wrong.

Has anyone else noticed this?
post #13895 of 13918 Old 11-25-2016, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I can't get my 105 to stream music files from my laptop. The 105 sees the network but I can't get it to access the music.

I've been uploading my favorite CD's to the laptop and would like to use this feature. I had it working earlier but now doesn't appear to be working. I'm running Windows 10.

Any advice or help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks,
Dan

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #13896 of 13918 Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I can't get my 105 to stream music files from my laptop. The 105 sees the network but I can't get it to access the music.

I've been uploading my favorite CD's to the laptop and would like to use this feature. I had it working earlier but now doesn't appear to be working. I'm running Windows 10.

Any advice or help would be greatly apprciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Have you given sharing permission to the file folder containing your music on your laptop?

post #13897 of 13918 Old 11-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Have you given sharing permission to the file folder containing your music on your laptop?
Yes, I have 'Share This Folder' checked in windows in my Music folder. I hate this stuff, it's like trying to track down why my lights don't work on my lawn tractor.

post #13898 of 13918 Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to ask, but what file type are you saving them as? Wav files won't be seen.

Denon AVCA10SE
Anthem MCA-50
Paradigm Studio 100s Paradigm CC690 Paradigm Studio 20s
Paradigm Studio Sub12 Definitive Technology Supercube 2
Oppo BDP-105
Samsung AU60D8000
post #13899 of 13918 Old 11-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
Yes, I have 'Share This Folder' checked in windows in my Music folder. I hate this stuff, it's like trying to track down why my lights don't work on my lawn tractor.
Also remember that oppo is only compatible with windows7 file sharing protocol (windows10 does not work). Microsoft changed something in encryption. But DLNA server works fine.
post #13900 of 13918 Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
Also remember that oppo is only compatible with windows7 file sharing protocol (windows10 does not work). Microsoft changed something in encryption. But DLNA server works fine.
This was fixed long ago in a Windows update. It does work now.
gsr likes this.

post #13901 of 13918 Old 11-28-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
I've been playing with the Deep Colour setting on my 105. I use HDMI2 out so there are only 3 options, 36 bit, 30 bit, and off which is 24 bit. It doesn't matter which setting I choose, when I check the Info display, it tells me that HDMI2 is outputting 24 bits. If I swap to HDMI1 out, I get more options and the Info display reports that the 105 is outputting whatever I select.

So, there is obviously a problem with HDMI2 and Deep Colour. Either there is no deep colour output, the options in the HDMI Options panel are wrong, and the Info display is reporting things correctly, or HDMI2 does deliver deep colour output but the Info display reports output from HDMI2 incorrectly. I'm not certain which it is, there are times when I think I can see a difference with Deep Colour on and times when I don't think I can see a difference and the manual says the difference is subtle if it does make a difference but either way there is a problem. Either there are no deep colour options for HDMI2 out in which case the settings menu is wrong, or there is deep colour output and the Info display is wrong.

Has anyone else noticed this?
I'm going to answer my own query. I hadn't been able to work out what bit depth signal the TV was receiving because the info display on my E6 does not show that. Then I realised that the video info screen I can bring up on my Marantz AVR does display bit depth details. So:

Output from HDMI2 on the 105:

Using 4:2:2 colour space, the bit depth on the Marantz display shows "–––"

Using 4:4:4 colour space, the bit depth on the Marantz display shows 24 bits for all 3 deep colour settings, 36 bit, 30 bit, and Off (24 bit".

If I swap to using output from HDMI 1 on the 105, and 4:4:4 colour space, the bit depth displayed in the Marantz's info window is exactly the same as the bit depth selected in the deep colour options on the 105.

What that means is that there is a bug in the 105's firmware.

Either you cannot get deep colour 30 or 36 bit output from HDMI2 because getting those bit depths requires the use of the QDEO processing chip which is bypassed for HDMI2 output, or the 30 and 36 bit deep colour selections in the deep colour options for HDMI2 are not working correctly.

That means that if you want to try experimenting with deep colour settings on the 105 you have to be using HDMI1 out for the video signal.

Oppo need to either remove the HDMI2 deep colour options from the menu if deep colour output is unavailable from HDMI2 or they need to identify the reason that deep colour output from HDMI 2 is not working and fix it gif deep colour output should be available from HDMI2.
post #13902 of 13918 Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1471 Post(s)
Liked: 1531
^ If you have HDMI 1 cabled when you are testing HDMI 2, try physically unplugging the HDMI 1 output and check HDMI 2 again.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #13903 of 13918 Old 11-28-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Only 1 output connected at a time.
post #13904 of 13918 Old 12-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htimseel View Post
I have to ask, but what file type are you saving them as? Wav files won't be seen.

Yes, saved as WAV files. I'll change one and see if that works.

Weird because I was playing files prior to converting to Windows 10.

post #13905 of 13918 Old 12-06-2016, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Oppo as pre for Magnepan 7.1 theater

I'm using two of Danny Richie's W-Frame subs as bottoms for Magnepan 1.7 front speakers. A problem developed with selecting "small" for the front speakers. This setting also affected the OB subs. I contacted Oppo and they said that if you set the FL and FR speakers to small in the configuarator, all three potential outputs for the FL & FR speakers have very little bass below 80hz. These three are include: the stereo outs, the XLR outs as well as the analog FL & FR.

Danny Richie (the designer of the OB subs) suggested making up a small splitter box which would contain a .1uF cap to roll off the full signal 6db below 72hz to the 1.7 amp. This size cap is calculated for my Odyssey Stratos amp. Other amps will vary. The box would also route a full signal out to the two OB woofers where it would be pass through a LPF set to 80hz. The parts are coming.

Since Oppo enables vol adjustment, I thinking about using the XLR outs and putting the caps directly inline to the 1.7 amp. Then I should be able to reduce the vol with software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sub proposal.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1812649  

Last edited by oneartist; 12-06-2016 at 01:29 PM.
post #13906 of 13918 Old 12-08-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need to replace the Roku 3400x stick that is connected to the BDF-105 with the Roku model 3600R stick.
Are there any issues/problems/compatibility issues with using the 3600R stick with the BDF-105?
Thanks
post #13907 of 13918 Old 12-08-2016, 08:18 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by beertap View Post
I need to replace the Roku 3400x stick that is connected to the BDF-105 with the Roku model 3600R stick.
Are there any issues/problems/compatibility issues with using the 3600R stick with the BDF-105?
Thanks
The 3400x is the MHL version of the streaming stick, which you can operate by using the Oppo remote control and gets its power from the front HDMI on the Oppo (which is the MHL capable input).

The 3600R is not a MHL version of the streaming stick, so you won't be able to control it with the Oppo remote and it will need an external USB power source.

So if you switch to the 3600R, you'll need to use the Roku remote control or the Roku app on something like an iOS or Android device to control it and you'll need to provide a power source for it (a USB cable connected to one of the Oppo's USB ports probably isn't a good idea as the specs indicate it needs 1.5A). Other than that, it should work just fine.
post #13908 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi all,

I've had the 105 for two years now, but recently upgraded to my first HDMI capable receiver, which I will set up later today. My question is, do most people run the video through the receiver or run multiple HDMI cables out of the Oppo, one the TV and one to the receiver? My new receiver is the Yamaha 3060.
Thanks.
post #13909 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Just an fyi here. The majority of my CDs are ripped in WAV format. I use the JRiver media server on a windows 10 machine and I have no problem streaming WAV files to the Oppo.
post #13910 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post
Quote:
Just an fyi here. The majority of my CDs are ripped in WAV format. I use the JRiver media server on a windows 10 machine and I have no problem streaming WAV files to the Oppo.
JRiver can convert WAV to FLAC.
post #13911 of 13918 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Ahh, interesting. I'm using Serviio, perhaps it's that that doesn't allow WAV files.

Denon AVCA10SE
Anthem MCA-50
Paradigm Studio 100s Paradigm CC690 Paradigm Studio 20s
Paradigm Studio Sub12 Definitive Technology Supercube 2
Oppo BDP-105
Samsung AU60D8000
post #13912 of 13918 Old Today, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Ahh, interesting. I'm using Serviio, perhaps it's that that doesn't allow WAV files.
It could be. I started using windows media player. When that stopped working, I went to foobar. Now that I have a windows 10 machine I decided to pay the $50 for Jriver, because I liked the interface. But when I started using it, it would only output in MP3, even though my music is a collection of WAV and FLAC files. I had to post on the Jriver forum to find out how to get the out put the same as the original source. It was an audio setting I needed to change, now the stream gets to the Oppo in WAV or Flac. I am not familiar with your media server but perhaps there is an audio output setting you can change. The only drawback with WAV is I still can't get the Oppo to display the album art, but at least it sounds good.
post #13913 of 13918 Old Today, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
JRiver can convert WAV to FLAC.
Thanks - yes I have done that with several CDs I ripped using WAV. I still can't get the Oppo to display the album art when I do this though.
post #13914 of 13918 Old Today, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Thanks - yes I have done that with several CDs I ripped using WAV. I still can't get the Oppo to display the album art when I do this though.
Although it's technically possible to place meta-data and album art within WAV contained files, very few devices can (parse) read such information. By contrast, there are no such issues with Flac

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #13915 of 13918 Old Today, 10:55 AM

Quote:
This is not correct. I have a windows 10 machine the streams WAV and Flac files via jriver.
post #13916 of 13918 Old Today, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
This is not correct. I have a windows 10 machine the streams WAV and Flac files via jriver.
I don't have a problem with JRiver or WindowsMedia using DLNA protocol.
What I had problem was the windows file sharing (SMB), the one that you get when right click on a folder choose 'Share', my oppo could not authenticate with my Win10 server.

Some other person that it should be fixed now but I have not retried it recently.
post #13917 of 13918 Old Today, 11:16 AM

Quote:
What I had problem was the windows file sharing (SMB), the one that you get when right click on a folder choose 'Share', my oppo could not authenticate with my Win10 server.

Some other person that it should be fixed now but I have not retried it recently.
Oh ok, I got you. file sharing and streaming is great when it works flawless. But sometimes getting all these machines to play nice together can be a hassle. I find it's best to use a hard wire connection if possible, but sometimes that's not always possible, as in my case. Good luck with your issue.
post #13918 of 13918 Old Today, 01:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:

A Windows 10 update somewhere along the way resolved the problem, so SMB shares from Windows 10 systems now work just fine and have for a while now.

Quote:
Oh ok, I got you. file sharing and streaming is great when it works flawless. But sometimes getting all these machines to play nice together can be a hassle. I find it's best to use a hard wire connection if possible, but sometimes that's not always possible, as in my case. Good luck with your issue.
Though I agree with the recommendation to use a wired network connection whenever possible, the issue had nothing to do with a wireless versus wired network connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player