Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 468 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 504Likes

post #14011 of 14038 Old 01-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Bob,
Thanks for your advice. I found a loose wire. Not sure when this happened, but now the sound is normal. That's a big relief! Of course I still have there other issues.
1. Chinese characters are not displayed correctly.
2. Lost subwoofer output. Tried various settings. Could not get it back. At first I thought my subwoofer went bad, but when tried the test tone, I could hear it.
Thanks,
Kan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14012 of 14038 Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Try setting SACD Output to explicit PCM or DSD (whichever you want to use). The Auto setting causes an HDMI handshake to see if the thing on the other end of the HDMI cable can handle HDMI DSD input, even though you have HDMI Audio set to OFF.

I'd try both PCM and DSD to see if one makes a difference.
--Bob
Thanks, but not successful unfortunately.

Oppo 105D; Rotel RMB-1075; Rotel RB-981 (bi-amp); Sony SS X-ED surround-set

Last edited by timovd; 01-29-2017 at 08:51 AM.
post #14013 of 14038 Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
How many HDD can you hook up to a 105D?

I have had four 4tb drives connected using a 4way hub. I tried connecting another another but different hub to add another drive and movies not even relating to the new hub or drive were occasionally skipping.

So is the a max of drives or is another hub say a 6or 8way USB hub a solution?

Also 2 thing that have been a nuisance when playing off a USB drive. One it only remembers the last play from the very last movie you played and not always even then. Second I process all my movies to a movie only file with BDRB and I away have to check to turn on any forced subtitles usually the 3rd subtitle option.
I got a new powered usb 3.0 with 7 ports and it seems to work. I think it being powered is the essential.

post #14014 of 14038 Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 AM

I finally figured the subwoofer issue. I used to be able to set speaker to large and get output to my subwoofer for double bass. With the new firmware, this is not an option. I have to set speaker to small. I guess not all changes are listed.
post #14015 of 14038 Old 02-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowgoo View Post
I finally figured the subwoofer issue. I used to be able to set speaker to large and get output to my subwoofer for double bass. With the new firmware, this is not an option. I have to set speaker to small. I guess not all changes are listed.
You can still get Double Bass if you are running a 2.1 speaker setup. Wire LF/RF to either the RCA or XLR pair of the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs. Wire Subwoofer to the Sub output of the Multi-channel Analog outs.

Set Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO, so LF/RF get full range audio, meanwhile, set LF/RF to SMALL in Speaker Configuration for the Multi-channel Analog outs, and select a Crossover frequency. The Sub will then get steered bass while LF/RF continue to play full range.

Don't forget to check/adjust the Volume knob on your Sub to achieve the double bass balance you want. Also check/adjust Phase for your Sub to eliminate cancellation against LF/RF and achieve max bass from the combo.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14016 of 14038 Old 02-04-2017, 08:19 PM

Thanks Bob! It works.

Not sure if this has been discussed in the forum. One thing I found while trying to fix the problem is that XLR polarity makes a different in sound. In my system I like it better with reversed setting. It will be worthwhile to give it a try to see which way you like better in your system. Now here is the fine print, as far as I can tell, reversing polarity should not do harm, but I cannot guarantee it. Have fun.
post #14017 of 14038 Old 02-08-2017, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
freezing networked music

Hello
I have always had this problem just wondering if anyone can help?
I find that the unit freezes up. a lot. But especially when playing music (flac) via network share on a windows PC. Just last night I was happily playing songs and then the 5th one in the player freezes up. Have to reset it and then its back to normal, for a while...
I have emailed support a long time ago but they really were not very helpful.
Is this a known issue?
Thx!
-Colin
post #14018 of 14038 Old 02-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Try playing music without an HDMI connected.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

post #14019 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Thx. It has been working fine the last 2 nights. Still have my TV hooked via HDMI. Not turned on however.
BTW, is there a difference in sound quality - dedicated USB PC input vs network share?
Network is very convenient for me especially when using the app on my phone.
post #14020 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinpenney View Post
Thx. It has been working fine the last 2 nights. Still have my TV hooked via HDMI. Not turned on however.
BTW, is there a difference in sound quality - dedicated USB PC input vs network share?
Network is very convenient for me especially when using the app on my phone.
With the USB PC input the Oppo essentially operates as a PC sound card and is limited to 2-channel stereo. Network share input allows for multi-channel sound as well as stereo. Other than that, there shouldn't be any sound difference but I have never done a comparison to be sure.

post #14021 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 01:59 PM

Gapless playback isn't working via network streaming unfortunately. I can't hear a difference between USB and network.

post #14022 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timovd View Post
Gapless playback isn't working via network streaming unfortunately. I can't hear a difference between USB and network.

Gapless will work for supported file formats (e.g., FLAC, WAV, APE) streamed from an SMB server (not DLNA).

The trick is, you need to use OPPO's MediaControl app for iOS or Android to do it. You can not command Gapless from SMB using the player's own, built-in network files browser.

To do it using the MediaControl app, navigate in the app to the starting track on your SMB server. Tap and Hold on that track line for a bit. A pop up will appear in the app offering Gapless play. If you've done it right "Gapless" will appear above the time line when the player's video output switches to the Now Playing music screen.

As with Gapless from a directly attached USB drive, a Gapless track transition can only happen if the following track is the same file type and streaming specs as the current track -- same number of channels, same sample rate, same sample size.
--Bob
grill likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14023 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Stream Spotify to my 105?

Been a while since I've been on this forum but learned a lot the first year or two I had my 105. -So, I subscribed to Spotify a few years ago and really am digging on it. Is there anyway to stream it from my computer to the 105? I know there is a Tidal app but I'm pretty happy with the Spot and I have a friend with similar musical taste that has both and prefers Spotify.
post #14024 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post
Been a while since I've been on this forum but learned a lot the first year or two I had my 105. -So, I subscribed to Spotify a few years ago and really am digging on it. Is there anyway to stream it from my computer to the 105? I know there is a Tidal app but I'm pretty happy with the Spot and I have a friend with similar musical taste that has both and prefers Spotify.
Not directly. You might want to look into doing it through and intermediary device like a Roku.
--Bob

post #14025 of 14038 Old 02-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was hoping...

Quote:
Not directly. You might want to look into doing it through and intermediary device like a Roku.
--Bob
you weren't going to say that. Thanks Bob.
post #14026 of 14038 Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Gapless will work for supported file formats (e.g., FLAC, WAV, APE) streamed from an SMB server (not DLNA).

The trick is, you need to use OPPO's MediaControl app for iOS or Android to do it. You can not command Gapless from SMB using the player's own, built-in network files browser.

To do it using the MediaControl app, navigate in the app to the starting track on your SMB server. Tap and Hold on that track line for a bit. A pop up will appear in the app offering Gapless play. If you've done it right "Gapless" will appear above the time line when the player's video output switches to the Now Playing music screen.

As with Gapless from a directly attached USB drive, a Gapless track transition can only happen if the following track is the same file type and streaming specs as the current track -- same number of channels, same sample rate, same sample size.
--Bob
In sorry. I'm streaming flac and DSD from a SMB-server (not using DLNA).
Thanks for clarifying!

post #14027 of 14038 Old 02-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this forum and the 105D.
Quick question. I am somewhat attached to my sonos system and the mobile interface. I have about 3TB of music on a synology NAS. Is the best way to still use the sonos interface to use the sonos connect into the 105D via optical? Or would I get better sound if I abandoned the sonos all together and linked my NAS to the 105D directly?
Thank you for any replies.
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14028 of 14038 Old 02-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timovd View Post
In sorry. I'm streaming flac and DSD from a SMB-server (not using DLNA).
Thanks for clarifying!
Gapless from your SMB server will work for your FLAC files, using the MediaControl app as I described. DSD files are not supported for Gapless, even from a directly attached USB drive.
--Bob

post #14029 of 14038 Old 02-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oppo Control Point Options

Hello - I apologize if this has been covered before, but I cannot find a clear answer from searching the thread. Very simply, what control point options exist for the OPPO Bdp-105 when using as a music streamer/renderer? I am using the Oppo with a QNAP NAS running MinimServer as the server (which I really like). I am using the OPPO Media Control Software on both iPhone and iPAd and it is just not doing it for me. Any suggested options? Thank you.
post #14030 of 14038 Old 02-12-2017, 10:51 AM

Setup SMB on the NAS

post #14031 of 14038 Old 02-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbseclipse View Post
Hello - I apologize if this has been covered before, but I cannot find a clear answer from searching the thread. Very simply, what control point options exist for the OPPO Bdp-105 when using as a music streamer/renderer? I am using the Oppo with a QNAP NAS running MinimServer as the server (which I really like). I am using the OPPO Media Control Software on both iPhone and iPAd and it is just not doing it for me. Any suggested options? Thank you.
Hi!

I tried all of the DLNA IOS clients I could find and finally gave up. Some didn't work at all and none had the functionality of the IOS Remote app for iTunes.

My solution was to go to Roon with a Sonore microRendu feeding the Oppo 105 through the asynch USB port. Great control of my 25K songs on my Synology DS115-play NAS along with the added bonus of including Tidal. Of course, the extra metadata and music reviews/history from Roon was a bonus.

In addition, the support from Roon was outstanding.

Please post if you find a client that works.

Peter

ptruce

Calibrated room - 3 turntables/many phono stages, Oppo 105, Mac Mini, Synology 216play, 5 Event speakers, 5 Aperion speakers, 4 sealed subs & Marantz 8802A - Auro 3D in 10.1 setup.
post #14032 of 14038 Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptruce View Post
Hi!

I tried all of the DLNA IOS clients I could find and finally gave up. Some didn't work at all and none had the functionality of the IOS Remote app for iTunes.

My solution was to go to Roon with a Sonore microRendu feeding the Oppo 105 through the asynch USB port. Great control of my 25K songs on my Synology DS115-play NAS along with the added bonus of including Tidal. Of course, the extra metadata and music reviews/history from Roon was a bonus.

In addition, the support from Roon was outstanding.

Please post if you find a client that works.

Peter
Thank you for your response. Roon does look very cool. What is the purpose of the Sonore in this set up? Doesn't it function as a music renderer/player as well? Mike
post #14033 of 14038 Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbseclipse View Post
Thank you for your response. Roon does look very cool. What is the purpose of the Sonore in this set up? Doesn't it function as a music renderer/player as well? Mike
Roon is a three part system:

Music storage (NAS, generally)

Roon server, usually a computer but can be a high end NAS

Roon end point

Roon server gets the files from the NAS and sends it to the Roon end point, all in digital, which sends it on for playback either digitally or analog.

The Sonore microRendu is a small box that accepts the music file stream directed to it by Roon server from the NAS and then outputs by USB to a DAC - the Oppo 105.

The reason to go through all this is to get the Roon client which is great in playing songs in one's collection and also getting songs from Tidal. One is restricted to having only 30,000 Tidal songs added to your own library so you can play them on playlists. There is no limit on searching and playing the 40 million songs.

Note that all three of the above can be in one computer: storage, Roon server and Roon endpoint. A MacMini can do this easily.

Peter
Bob Pariseau likes this.

ptruce

Calibrated room - 3 turntables/many phono stages, Oppo 105, Mac Mini, Synology 216play, 5 Event speakers, 5 Aperion speakers, 4 sealed subs & Marantz 8802A - Auro 3D in 10.1 setup.
post #14034 of 14038 Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Something I'm noticing on my 105 that never used to happen with my 103 but maybe it's normal not sure if anyone else has seen this. When I power off my 105 sometimes just the LCD read out goes off but the light stays blue on the physical button with oppo logo on it. I then go and manually press the hard button to completely go off. It takes a few seconds but it eventually powers off.
Another issue I've noticed but could be related to my network. When trying to use the MediaControl app on my iPhone it will not find 105. Yet if I go on the 105 I can use pandora, Netflix, YouTube,etc Not sure if it's the app or my network. Even tried entering the IP address and nada.

Life is what you make it.......
post #14035 of 14038 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Liked: 24
Any issues with the latest firmware released on Jan. 23, 2017?

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 2
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 4 Speakers
Sony Bravia KDL-55W800C TV
post #14036 of 14038 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post
Any issues with the latest firmware released on Jan. 23, 2017?
no issues with mine
Process53 likes this.

Panasonic 60PU54
Anthem MRX510, Anthem I225
Oppo 105
SVS Prime Towers, Prime Centre, SB-2000 sub
Shaw HDPVR-630
Rega RP6/Dyna 10X5/Rega Fono, PS3
post #14037 of 14038 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
Something I'm noticing on my 105 that never used to happen with my 103 but maybe it's normal not sure if anyone else has seen this. When I power off my 105 sometimes just the LCD read out goes off but the light stays blue on the physical button with oppo logo on it. I then go and manually press the hard button to completely go off. It takes a few seconds but it eventually powers off.
Another issue I've noticed but could be related to my network. When trying to use the MediaControl app on my iPhone it will not find 105. Yet if I go on the 105 I can use pandora, Netflix, YouTube,etc Not sure if it's the app or my network. Even tried entering the IP address and nada.

If you are patient, the power light should switch after a while without you having to press Power again. If not, give OPPO Tech Support a call as your player may need service. They will likely ask you to start by Resetting the player and doing a re-Install of the firmware.

For the MediaControl app issue, make sure you have IP Control enabled in Setup > Network Setup.

Also make sure you running the latest version of the MediaControl app. The links will be found on OPPO's Support page for the 105:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...5-Support.aspx

--Bob
oneartist likes this.

post #14038 of 14038 Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
If you are patient, the power light should switch after a while without you having to press Power again. If not, give OPPO Tech Support a call as your player may need service. They will likely ask you to start by Resetting the player and doing a re-Install of the firmware.

For the MediaControl app issue, make sure you have IP Control enabled in Setup > Network Setup.

Also make sure you running the latest version of the MediaControl app. The links will be found on OPPO's Support page for the 105:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...5-Support.aspx

--Bob

Thanks Bob, I just noticed I had the power saving mode to on and the dimmer to the lowest possible setting all is good now.
As far the media app goes. I just hardwired my 105 with an Ethernet cable and can access it 99.9% of the time without any issue.
Thanks again.

Life is what you make it.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player