Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 469 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 504Likes

post #14041 of 14065 Old 02-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The USB DAC Input is for attaching something like your computer -- so that it can play stereo digital audio through the OPPO as if the OPPO was a sound card.
--Bob
Thanks much for the quick reply Bob. So which is the best way to go:

1 - Digital coax from computer into digital coax to Oppo?
2 - USB from computer into USB asynchronous Oppo input?
3 - Wireless file sharing from Windows 10 computer to Oppo?
4 - Dedicated external hard drive into Oppo usb?
5 - or???

I'm looking for the best-sounding solution - that's the primary consideration.

Also, it's my understanding that the Oppo won't do multichannel audio (eg:SACD) through the digital coax or asynchronous input.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 14065 Old 02-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked: 3298
Quote:
Originally Posted by seditious3 View Post
Thanks much for the quick reply Bob. So which is the best way to go:

1 - Digital coax from computer into digital coax to Oppo?
2 - USB from computer into USB asynchronous Oppo input?
3 - Wireless file sharing from Windows 10 computer to Oppo?
4 - Dedicated external hard drive into Oppo usb?
5 - or???

I'm looking for the best-sounding solution - that's the primary consideration.

Also, it's my understanding that the Oppo won't do multichannel audio (eg:SACD) through the digital coax or asynchronous input.

Thanks again!
Asynchronous DAC Input is Stereo only. And SACD licensing prohibits transmission of SACD content over S/PDIF (Optical and Coax) connections due to the lack of copy protection.

There are several considerations here. Using a directly attached hard drive is the simplest, and lets you play all the media file formats the 105 supports, both stereo and multi-channel.

Using Wifi or Ethernet to access files on an SMB server is very similar to using a directly attached drive. Accessing files on a DLNA server adds setup complexity, but once you figure out how, DLNA servers can offer advantages. For example you can use some application that knows about that DLNA server to browse its files and "push" the files to the OPPO for playback -- so you are not bound to the file browser built into the OPPO or OPPO's iOS or Android MediaControl app.

All of those cases involve the OPPO rendering a music file into audio. Sometimes you might want to play audio your computer knows how to play but the OPPO doesn't -- such as from a music generating program or from a fancy playback app that runs on your computer. So long as you are OK with stereo into the OPPO, the easiest way to do THAT is to use the Asynchronous USB DAC input on the OPPO and have your computer treat the OPPO as a fancy "sound card".

If you want best quality for file formats the OPPO knows how to play, a directly attached hard drive is definitely the way to start. It's simplest.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14043 of 14065 Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Asynchronous DAC Input is Stereo only. And SACD licensing prohibits transmission of SACD content over S/PDIF (Optical and Coax) connections due to the lack of copy protection.

There are several considerations here. Using a directly attached hard drive is the simplest, and lets you play all the media file formats the 105 supports, both stereo and multi-channel.

Using Wifi or Ethernet to access files on an SMB server is very similar to using a directly attached drive. Accessing files on a DLNA server adds setup complexity, but once you figure out how, DLNA servers can offer advantages. For example you can use some application that knows about that DLNA server to browse its files and "push" the files to the OPPO for playback -- so you are not bound to the file browser built into the OPPO or OPPO's iOS or Android MediaControl app.

All of those cases involve the OPPO rendering a music file into audio. Sometimes you might want to play audio your computer knows how to play but the OPPO doesn't -- such as from a music generating program or from a fancy playback app that runs on your computer. So long as you are OK with stereo into the OPPO, the easiest way to do THAT is to use the Asynchronous USB DAC input on the OPPO and have your computer treat the OPPO as a fancy "sound card".

If you want best quality for file formats the OPPO knows how to play, a directly attached hard drive is definitely the way to start. It's simplest.
--Bob
Thanks again, that's what I thought about it all (was just unaware of the asynch DAC issue). Hard drive enclosure on the way!

post #14044 of 14065 Old 02-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm sure this is here in the thread, but can I connect my Ipod directly to the Oppo or do I need to do something to make that connection?

Alternatively, I assume if I download Tidal on my existing computer that connected to the same network as the Oppo I can "stream" the music. I do have the computer and Oppo wired to the network, is that a better option than using wireless?
post #14045 of 14065 Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tidal Track Numbers

Is anyone having the problem of track numbers accumulating with a 105d using the Tidal app ? The track numbers just keep going up album after album. Also when I skip to the next track it will still show the first track playing at the bottom of the app on my Android tablet. Oppo says it's Tidal fault and Tidal says it's the Oppo app. Did finally find someone at Oppo that heard of it and said they are working on it, that was Nov. Have removed and reloaded Tidal and Media app many times. Thanks.
post #14046 of 14065 Old 02-23-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper77 View Post
I'm sure this is here in the thread, but can I connect my Ipod directly to the Oppo or do I need to do something to make that connection?

Alternatively, I assume if I download Tidal on my existing computer that connected to the same network as the Oppo I can "stream" the music. I do have the computer and Oppo wired to the network, is that a better option than using wireless?
You run Tidal on the Oppo and use the Tidal app on the iPad to interact with Tidal wirelessly.

db
post #14047 of 14065 Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I did not get a response in the Oppo 205 thread so please excuse me for posting this in the 105 thread because it is actually related to both and I am an Oppo 105 owner.

I am interested in the 205 but I have a question regarding the Pandora app on the 105. I currently listen to Pandora using the app on my 105 and through the 7.1 analog outs. It sounds excellent this way but with the lack of streaming apps on the 205 would I be able to use something like Chromecast Ultra connected to the HDMI input on the 205 and still listen to Pandora through the 7.1 analog outs? Thanks for any input.

Paradigm Studio 20v5-fronts
Paradigm Studio CC-490v5-center
Paradigm Studio 10v5- side surrounds,Monitor surround 3v7-bck surr
Oppo BDP-105/LG 65C6
Marantz SR-5010(as preamp) Emotiva BasX A-700amp
SVS SB-1000
post #14048 of 14065 Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OPPO has not yet released any details on the upcoming UDP-205 player, so nobody can really answer your question.

However for the UDP-203 player, currently available, yes. Anything you play into the HDMI Input of the player is available on the Analog audio outputs as well as on HDMI.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14049 of 14065 Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
^ OPPO has not yet released any details on the upcoming UDP-205 player, so nobody can really answer your question.

However for the UDP-203 player, currently available, yes. Anything you play into the HDMI Input of the player is available on the Analog audio outputs as well as on HDMI.
--Bob
Thanks Bob for your input. I appreciate it.

Paradigm Studio 20v5-fronts
Paradigm Studio CC-490v5-center
Paradigm Studio 10v5- side surrounds,Monitor surround 3v7-bck surr
Oppo BDP-105/LG 65C6
Marantz SR-5010(as preamp) Emotiva BasX A-700amp
SVS SB-1000
post #14050 of 14065 Old 03-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So my I have set up my 105's XLR and HDMI outputs to Marantz 8802 inputs. Blu-ray input for the obvious and XLR for dedicated 2 channel listening. I assigned that input on my Marantz to CD and analog. So I wanted to ask what are the best settings in Oppo for 2 channel listening. I have set my tower speakers to small and set the crossover to 40hz and stereo down mix in the "audio processing" menu of the Oppo. Am I missing anything? I want to use the Oppo's DAC and make sure I didn't miss anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life is what you make it.......
post #14051 of 14065 Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post
So my I have set up my 105's XLR and HDMI outputs to Marantz 8802 inputs. Blu-ray input for the obvious and XLR for dedicated 2 channel listening. I assigned that input on my Marantz to CD and analog. So I wanted to ask what are the best settings in Oppo for 2 channel listening. I have set my tower speakers to small and set the crossover to 40hz and stereo down mix in the "audio processing" menu of the Oppo. Am I missing anything? I want to use the Oppo's DAC and make sure I didn't miss anything

Look for the Stereo Signal setting -- separate from the settings in Speaker Configuration, and set that to DOWN MIXED STEREO. Also make sure you have DTS Neo:6 Mode set to OFF.

Set that way the stereo output on the XLR pair will be independent of the settings that apply to the multi-channel Analog outs. In particular there will be no Crossover processing on them, so you won't lose bass. You'll get a full frequency range signal on them to that stereo input of your AVR.
--Bob

post #14052 of 14065 Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:

Currently, bass management in the Oppo will throw away all redirected bass when using the Marantz XLR inputs.

If you want to use bass-management and the Oppo DACs, use the Marantz 7.1 analog inputs and dedicated RCA outputs. The Marantz cannot perform bass management on the 7.1 analog inputs. The Oppo sub channel is then used.

Bass Management from the Marantz digitizes the signal, which defeats the use of the Oppo DAC.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | BDP-105D | HA-1 | PM-1 | Emotiva XMC-1 | ATI Signature AT6002 x 2 + AT6006 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG B6 | Lumagen 2020
post #14053 of 14065 Old 03-05-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 290
40hz sounds awfully low for the crossover setting. A rule of thumb I have always used is to set the crossover to roughly double the -3 db low end of your main speakers. I have speakers with 27db as the -3db point and thus set my crossover to 60hz. There should always be some overlap between your main speakers and the sub so that you get a nice smooth blend. Also be aware that your XLR output is going to be 6db hotter than the RCAs so you should be careful with volume settings on your 8802.

post #14054 of 14065 Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
40hz sounds awfully low for the crossover setting. A rule of thumb I have always used is to set the crossover to roughly double the -3 db low end of your main speakers. I have speakers with 27db as the -3db point and thus set my crossover to 60hz. There should always be some overlap between your main speakers and the sub so that you get a nice smooth blend. Also be aware that your XLR output is going to be 6db hotter than the RCAs so you should be careful with volume settings on your 8802.
He's describing Stereo XLR cabling -- no Subwoofer cable. That means if he uses a Crossover at all in the OPPO, the bass below the Crossover is simply being discarded.
--Bob

post #14055 of 14065 Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 AM

I'm using two SVS SB-13 ultras via the XLR inputs of the 8802a but if I did need to use the crossover I guess I should be at 80hz or something.
Bob what do think about what RichB is saying.
I'm not trying to use 5.1 so I'm confused. I thought the 105 XLR's were for pure 2 channel listening.

post #14056 of 14065 Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I'm using two SVS SB-13 ultras via the XLR inputs of the 8802a but if I did need to use the crossover I guess I should be at 80hz or something.
Bob what do think about what RichB is saying.
I'm not trying to use 5.1 so I'm confused. I thought the 105 XLR's were for pure 2 channel listening.

The Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs of the OPPO 105 (both the RCA pair and the XLR pair) can be configured in two different ways, controlled by the Stereo Signal setting.

With Stereo Signal set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO, the Dedicated Stereo outs operate independent of the settings that apply to the multichannel Analog outputs (other than Volume and Mute). The Dedicated Stereo outs get a "Stereo" down-mix, are treated as Large (meaning no Crossover processing), and are treated as equidistant -- regardless of what's set in the Speaker Configuration menu.

On the other hand, with Stereo Signal set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, the Dedicated Stereo outs respond to all the settings that normally apply to the Left Front / Right Front outs of the multi-channel Analog set. This allows people to wire a pair of the Dedicated Stereo outs INSTEAD of wiring the normal RCA LF/RF outs as part of their multi-channel wiring.

This is why I told you to set Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO. It means you'll get a full frequency range Stereo output on that XLR pair *REGARDLESS* of what you have set in Speaker Configuration for the multi-channel Analog outs.
--Bob

post #14057 of 14065 Old 03-05-2017, 01:01 PM

Thank you Bob, well explained.
So with this recommendation of yours, is the best way based on what I have?

post #14058 of 14065 Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thank you Bob, well explained.
So with this recommendation of yours, is the best way based on what I have?

Stereo Signal set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO is the best, and simplest way to send full frequency range out that XLR pair. It will also get you a Stereo down-mix on that XLR pair if you are playing multi-channel content. You can wire the multi-channel outputs separately, at some later time if you'd like, and adjust their Speaker Configuration settings as you like without messing up what's also going out on that XLR pair.
--Bob

post #14059 of 14065 Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM

New question for the experts here. I currently have ripped around 70gigabytes of music files. They are organized by artist folders and in the folder is the album name followed by the actual songs. My question is if the Oppo is able to generate its own playlist or do I have to create. Maybe even sort by the genres. I see the options on top but how do they work?

post #14060 of 14065 Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 AM

New question for the experts here. I currently have ripped around 70gigabytes of music files. They are organized by artist folders and in the folder is the album name followed by the actual songs. My question is if the Oppo is able to generate its own playlist or do I have to create. Maybe even sort by the genres. I see the options on top but how do they work?

post #14061 of 14065 Old 03-17-2017, 10:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

As I recall you can create a TEMPORARY playlist in the OPPO via Yellow button. But only 1 and only temporary.

A better approach is to build CUE files which refer to a subset of the tracks in the same folder as the CUE file. Then you treat the CUE file as a folder.

The Linux file system also lets you build folders of links to files elsewhere. Play that folder and the linked tracks play.
--Bob

post #14062 of 14065 Old Today, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure if this issue has been covered, but the last two movies I have tried to watch have had consistent audio drop outs. Watching Moana 90% through with no problem, then the sound starts cutting out until the finish. Next movie, deep water, much worse, audio drops very 10 seconds randomly. I did the latest update last week, not sure if that's related. Anyone else have issues?
post #14063 of 14065 Old Today, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandworms View Post
Not sure if this issue has been covered, but the last two movies I have tried to watch have had consistent audio drop outs.
Not at all; I have the up to date firmware and I've been watching about six or seven movies per week with absolutely zero issues.

Since Moana is a very new release, I'll let others say whether they have seen issues with it.
post #14064 of 14065 Old Today, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Not sure if this issue has been covered, but the last two movies I have tried to watch have had consistent audio drop outs. Watching Moana 90% through with no problem, then the sound starts cutting out until the finish. Next movie, deep water, much worse, audio drops very 10 seconds randomly. I did the latest update last week, not sure if that's related. Anyone else have issues?
Have you tried a movie that worked in the past
post #14065 of 14065 Old Today, 08:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Check that your HDMI cables haven't come loose. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.

Unplug and replug each end of each HDMI cable from end to end in the signal chain, making sure the plugs are fully inserted straight into the sockets with nothing tugging on them in any direction.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page