Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 469 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 504Likes

post #14041 of 14046 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The USB DAC Input is for attaching something like your computer -- so that it can play stereo digital audio through the OPPO as if the OPPO was a sound card.
--Bob
Thanks much for the quick reply Bob. So which is the best way to go:

1 - Digital coax from computer into digital coax to Oppo?
2 - USB from computer into USB asynchronous Oppo input?
3 - Wireless file sharing from Windows 10 computer to Oppo?
4 - Dedicated external hard drive into Oppo usb?
5 - or???

I'm looking for the best-sounding solution - that's the primary consideration.

Also, it's my understanding that the Oppo won't do multichannel audio (eg:SACD) through the digital coax or asynchronous input.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14042 of 14046 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked: 2972
Quote:
Originally Posted by seditious3 View Post
Thanks much for the quick reply Bob. So which is the best way to go:

1 - Digital coax from computer into digital coax to Oppo?
2 - USB from computer into USB asynchronous Oppo input?
3 - Wireless file sharing from Windows 10 computer to Oppo?
4 - Dedicated external hard drive into Oppo usb?
5 - or???

I'm looking for the best-sounding solution - that's the primary consideration.

Also, it's my understanding that the Oppo won't do multichannel audio (eg:SACD) through the digital coax or asynchronous input.

Thanks again!
Asynchronous DAC Input is Stereo only. And SACD licensing prohibits transmission of SACD content over S/PDIF (Optical and Coax) connections due to the lack of copy protection.

There are several considerations here. Using a directly attached hard drive is the simplest, and lets you play all the media file formats the 105 supports, both stereo and multi-channel.

Using Wifi or Ethernet to access files on an SMB server is very similar to using a directly attached drive. Accessing files on a DLNA server adds setup complexity, but once you figure out how, DLNA servers can offer advantages. For example you can use some application that knows about that DLNA server to browse its files and "push" the files to the OPPO for playback -- so you are not bound to the file browser built into the OPPO or OPPO's iOS or Android MediaControl app.

All of those cases involve the OPPO rendering a music file into audio. Sometimes you might want to play audio your computer knows how to play but the OPPO doesn't -- such as from a music generating program or from a fancy playback app that runs on your computer. So long as you are OK with stereo into the OPPO, the easiest way to do THAT is to use the Asynchronous USB DAC input on the OPPO and have your computer treat the OPPO as a fancy "sound card".

If you want best quality for file formats the OPPO knows how to play, a directly attached hard drive is definitely the way to start. It's simplest.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14043 of 14046 Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Asynchronous DAC Input is Stereo only. And SACD licensing prohibits transmission of SACD content over S/PDIF (Optical and Coax) connections due to the lack of copy protection.

There are several considerations here. Using a directly attached hard drive is the simplest, and lets you play all the media file formats the 105 supports, both stereo and multi-channel.

Using Wifi or Ethernet to access files on an SMB server is very similar to using a directly attached drive. Accessing files on a DLNA server adds setup complexity, but once you figure out how, DLNA servers can offer advantages. For example you can use some application that knows about that DLNA server to browse its files and "push" the files to the OPPO for playback -- so you are not bound to the file browser built into the OPPO or OPPO's iOS or Android MediaControl app.

All of those cases involve the OPPO rendering a music file into audio. Sometimes you might want to play audio your computer knows how to play but the OPPO doesn't -- such as from a music generating program or from a fancy playback app that runs on your computer. So long as you are OK with stereo into the OPPO, the easiest way to do THAT is to use the Asynchronous USB DAC input on the OPPO and have your computer treat the OPPO as a fancy "sound card".

If you want best quality for file formats the OPPO knows how to play, a directly attached hard drive is definitely the way to start. It's simplest.
--Bob
Thanks again, that's what I thought about it all (was just unaware of the asynch DAC issue). Hard drive enclosure on the way!

post #14044 of 14046 Old Today, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm sure this is here in the thread, but can I connect my Ipod directly to the Oppo or do I need to do something to make that connection?

Alternatively, I assume if I download Tidal on my existing computer that connected to the same network as the Oppo I can "stream" the music. I do have the computer and Oppo wired to the network, is that a better option than using wireless?
post #14045 of 14046 Old Today, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tidal Track Numbers

Is anyone having the problem of track numbers accumulating with a 105d using the Tidal app ? The track numbers just keep going up album after album. Also when I skip to the next track it will still show the first track playing at the bottom of the app on my Android tablet. Oppo says it's Tidal fault and Tidal says it's the Oppo app. Did finally find someone at Oppo that heard of it and said they are working on it, that was Nov. Have removed and reloaded Tidal and Media app many times. Thanks.
post #14046 of 14046 Old Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper77 View Post
I'm sure this is here in the thread, but can I connect my Ipod directly to the Oppo or do I need to do something to make that connection?

Alternatively, I assume if I download Tidal on my existing computer that connected to the same network as the Oppo I can "stream" the music. I do have the computer and Oppo wired to the network, is that a better option than using wireless?
You run Tidal on the Oppo and use the Tidal app on the iPad to interact with Tidal wirelessly.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page