Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 510Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14071 of 14087 Old 04-02-2017, 05:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 9,109
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
Thanks. I had the impression, and I thought I gained it from reading the manual, that the USB input was for reading and playing stored files, not for accepting and playing an audio stream like a sound card. Will try it when I get home, but only after checking the manual. Don't want to damage the USB port.
Two different USB ports. There are several for connecting USB storage devices (thumb drives, external hard drives) and another labeled USB DAC. The USB DAC port can be connected directly to your PC to allow the Oppo to behave as the sound card for your PC, which should allow any audio format that's supported by the USB DAC input to play; I would expect Tidal to work just fine as that will just be 2 channel LPCM.
tnargs likes this.
gsr is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14072 of 14087 Old 04-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,303
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2879 Post(s)
Liked: 3728
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnargs View Post
Thanks. I had the impression, and I thought I gained it from reading the manual, that the USB input was for reading and playing stored files, not for accepting and playing an audio stream like a sound card. Will try it when I get home, but only after checking the manual. Don't want to damage the USB port.
There are two types of USB ports on the 105. The thin rectangular ports (2 on the back and 1 on the front) are for attaching peripheral devices like USB hard drives.

But also on the back of the 105 is a square shaped socket that's the Asynchronous USB DAC Input.

Get a USB cable with that plug on one end and (most likely) the thin rectangular style plug on the other, and connect your computer to the DAC Input. On the OPPO, press Input button (upper right on the Remote) and select the USB DAC Input from the pop up list.

See page 21 of the Manual.

On the computer side, if you have a Mac you go into System Preferences > Sound > Output and look for the new line that appears which is the DAC Input of the 105. Select that, and ALL audio produced on the Mac will go to the 105's DAC Input instead. You get stereo LPCM going between the computer and the 105. Note that the DAC Input goes STRAIGHT to the DAC in the 105, so there's no audio processing possible other than Volume control in the 105. In particular, no Crossover processing or Speaker Distance processing regardless of your Speaker Configuration settings.

(LPCM up to 192kHz presented to the DAC Input will also come out on the Digital audio outputs of the 105 -- e.g., HDMI Audio.)

If you are using a Windows computer, you will need to install a driver in Windows so that it knows how to talk to the DAC Input on the 105. Get that from OPPO here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...5-Support.aspx

--Bob
tnargs and oneartist like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 04-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #14073 of 14087 Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 AM
Member
 
tnargs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Australia
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks Bob and gsr

It's only a hobby
tnargs is offline  
 
post #14074 of 14087 Old 04-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Member
 
elfiself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>jcm2128</strong> <a href="/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/1230#post_22708362"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br><div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block">Originally Posted by <strong>dmusoke</strong> <a href="/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/1200#post_22707900"><img alt="View Post" class="inlineimg" src="/img/forum/go_quote.gif" style=""></a><br><br>
Assuming the input impedance of his amplifier is 5K or greater, the most likely cause of his problem, i believe, is the input sensitivity spec of his amp. If its low, i.e 1V for the XLR like my power amp, then the slightest change in volume from the 4X higher gain Oppo will clip or distort in the amplifier's input hence the distortion Oldav is hearing, similar to what Edwardkim was experiencing as well.</div>
</div>
<br>
As mentioned, I was able to get a two channel Parasound Halo amp working fine with direct XLR from the 105. I am considering an Emotiva for the other three but was concerned about compatibilty. I checked the specs for each:<br><br><b>Parasound</b><br>
Input sensitivity:<br>
1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level<br>
Input impedance:<br>
33 k Ω<br><br><b>Emotiva</b><br>
Input impedance:<br>
unbalanced: 23.5 kohms<br>
balanced: 33 kohms<br>
gain (which I thick is the same as Input sensitivity) is 33 db<br><br>
So it seems like it may work, but I would need the unbalanced on the Emotiva while using the balanced on the Parasound. I am fine with adjusting the trim within the oppo to fine tune the SPL (I have a SPL meter).</div>
</div>
<p>I looked at the Test Report for the 3-Channel Emotiva and it was tested at 1.025V at its input to produce rated power output into 8 and 4 ohms so it should fit your purposes just right.</p>
If it helps, I have been running A BDP-105 via XLRs' to a Halo Parasound A23 for over two years with no issues. My speakers are B&W 685s' and I have a 10" powered sub fed directly from the 105s' SW out.
elfiself is offline  
post #14075 of 14087 Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Member
 
oneartist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Central CA
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
There are two types of USB ports on the 105. The thin rectangular ports (2 on the back and 1 on the front) are for attaching peripheral devices like USB hard drives.

But also on the back of the 105 is a square shaped socket that's the Asynchronous USB DAC Input.

Get a USB cable with that plug on one end and (most likely) the thin rectangular style plug on the other, and connect your computer to the DAC Input. On the OPPO, press Input button (upper right on the Remote) and select the USB DAC Input from the pop up list.

See page 21 of the Manual.

On the computer side, if you have a Mac you go into System Preferences > Sound > Output and look for the new line that appears which is the DAC Input of the 105. Select that, and ALL audio produced on the Mac will go to the 105's DAC Input instead. You get stereo LPCM going between the computer and the 105. Note that the DAC Input goes STRAIGHT to the DAC in the 105, so there's no audio processing possible other than Volume control in the 105. In particular, no Crossover processing or Speaker Distance processing regardless of your Speaker Configuration settings.

(LPCM up to 192kHz presented to the DAC Input will also come out on the Digital audio outputs of the 105 -- e.g., HDMI Audio.)

If you are using a Windows computer, you will need to install a driver in Windows so that it knows how to talk to the DAC Input on the 105. Get that from OPPO here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/support/b...5-Support.aspx

--Bob
Thanks to Bob's help, I'm going through the Masters albums and adding the ones I like to a playlist. I don't see a need to stock a music server. Streaming will continue to improve and I've learned to listen to lots of music I'm not familiar with and even though I'm an old guy, I really like a lot of new music. also, my four years active duty got me a nice military discount for Tidal HiFi. Lovin the music.
oneartist is offline  
post #14076 of 14087 Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Newbie
 
Uprize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I posted the following questions below in the OPPO BDP105 Sound Quality Check thread, but wasn’t sure it was the correct thread so I’m reposting here. Actually, I have since found some answers for question 1 from some of the experts in this forum. Therefore, that leaves Q2 and Q3.

1. What are the preferred analog configurations for 2.1 stereo music and playing movies in a 7.1 set up in the OPPO 105D?

2. What base volume level should be set in the AVR to perform the calibration in the OPPO? Should it be at 0 db, or in the case of the Marantz SR7010 at 80? Somewhere in this forum, I read that I should adjust the main volume in the OPPO to the point where my speakers are level matched at 75db, but there was no mention (or none that I could find) of what offsetting volume level should be set in the AVR to begin the calibration.

3. My subs (I have 2) are already level matched for audyssey processing. How do I handle adjusting the gain on the subs without upsetting the audyssey levels should the OPPO calibration call for it? Do I only adjust the sub trim level in the OPPO in that case?

As a side note, it appears the tweeter of my left front Klipsch RP280F is blown (I am only getting sound from the woofers). All connections are intact. Not sure how it happened but I’ll be contacting Klipsch and my dealer shortly.

Thanks!
Stan
Uprize is offline  
post #14077 of 14087 Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,303
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2879 Post(s)
Liked: 3728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprize View Post
Hi,

I posted the following questions below in the OPPO BDP105 Sound Quality Check thread, but wasn’t sure it was the correct thread so I’m reposting here. Actually, I have since found some answers for question 1 from some of the experts in this forum. Therefore, that leaves Q2 and Q3.

1. What are the preferred analog configurations for 2.1 stereo music and playing movies in a 7.1 set up in the OPPO 105D?

2. What base volume level should be set in the AVR to perform the calibration in the OPPO? Should it be at 0 db, or in the case of the Marantz SR7010 at 80? Somewhere in this forum, I read that I should adjust the main volume in the OPPO to the point where my speakers are level matched at 75db, but there was no mention (or none that I could find) of what offsetting volume level should be set in the AVR to begin the calibration.

3. My subs (I have 2) are already level matched for audyssey processing. How do I handle adjusting the gain on the subs without upsetting the audyssey levels should the OPPO calibration call for it? Do I only adjust the sub trim level in the OPPO in that case?

As a side note, it appears the tweeter of my left front Klipsch RP280F is blown (I am only getting sound from the woofers). All connections are intact. Not sure how it happened but I’ll be contacting Klipsch and my dealer shortly.

Thanks!
Stan
If you have a 7.1 speaker setup and want to use Analog out of the OPPO, cable 7.1 Analog to your Marantz. Set the OPPO to a 7.1 down-mix so all channels are available to the Marantz.

For the rest of your questions, you first have to decide whether you want to use the Audyssey room correction processing in your Marantz or bypass it. For the Marantz to do room correction and crossover processing on the Analog input from the OPPO it must first re-digitize that input because such processing is done digitally. Then, after the processing, the results are converted BACK to Analog to send on to your speakers -- using the DACs in the Marantz.

The quality of the re-digitizing, digital processing, and re-conversion back to Analog in the Marantz may conceal what you are trying to hear as the Analog result from the use of the DACs in the OPPO.

The alternative is to configure the Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input from the OPPO doing *NOTHING* but Volume control. I.e., you would be bypassing room correction, crossover processing, down-mixing, surround sound processing, speaker distance adjustment, audio "enhancements" of any sort, etc., etc. All such stuff is done digitally, and if you don't want the Marantz to re-digitize -- and then use its DACs to convert BACK to Analog afterwards -- you need to forego ALL of those features in the Marantz. You need to check the Manual for the Marantz -- and the owner's thread here for your model -- to determine how to do that in your Marantz. Be aware that some AVRs have two levels of Analog Bypass settings. One bypasses all the processing but still does the re-digitizing. You want the other that doesn't even do the re-digitizing. Again check you Marantz info sources.

---------------------------------------------

Now, if you LIKE what the Marantz does for audio processing, believe it is good enough quality to let you hear everything you want to hear from the OPPO, and want to continue using it, then your job for configuring things is SUBSTANTIALLY easier.

First of all, you may want to simply use HDMI Audio to the Marantz instead. That eliminates the conversion to Analog output in the OPPO (using the DACs in the OPPO) and the re-digitizing in the Marantz, since the audio input is already Digital.

But if you want to use Analog from the OPPO -- perhaps for comparison -- you just have to keep in mind that you have the Marantz configured to do ALL THE WORK. So you want to set the Analog output of the OPPO to do *NOTHING*.

So in the OPPO, set all speakers to Large (which turns off Crossover processing) and with 0dB Volume trim. Set all speakers equidistant -- any distance will do so long as they are all the same -- you can just use the factory default 12 foot values. Set DTS Neo:6 Mode to OFF. And as mentioned above set Speaker Configuration > Down-Mix to 7.1.

Again, you can DO all those simple settings because the Audyssey solution in your Marantz will actually handle all this speaker configuration stuff for you including speaker level trims and crossover processing.

If you check your speaker levels afterwards with a calibration disc, it should just work. Because the OPPO is sending equal values for all speakers and the solution in the Marantz is already applying any necessary Volume Trims.

That just leaves Main Volume to set in the OPPO. Normally when feeding Analog into a pre-amp like this you would set Main Volume to 100 (or FIXED, which does the same thing). This sends a full scale signal to the Marantz. You then do Volume adjustment in the Marantz to achiever a comfortable listening level.

The only reason to set a Volume lower than 100 in the OPPO is if you discover the Analog outputs are clipping the inputs of the Marantz for louder audio passages. This will sound like a "harshness" in the loudest passages that goes away if you lower Volume in the OPPO. Typically if present at all it will only take a few steps reduction in Volume in the OPPO to prevent this. Test with your loudest audio passages. This is a set once and forget setting. So if you find Volume 96 in the OPPO insures no clipping when playing your loudest audio passages, then you just leave it at 96 for everything you play.

----------------------------------------------

Things are more complicated if you want to BYPASS all the processing in the Marantz. First you have to figure out how to set the Marantz to do that. Be sure you don't disable the Audyssey solution altogether, as you probably still want to use it for other sources.

When you have figured out how to bypass all that stuff -- how to get true Analog "pass through" in the Marantz, leaving nothing but Volume control -- then you need to start setting things up in the OPPO to handle the processing the Marantz is no longer doing.

So for example, if you want bass steering from the main speaker channels to your Subwoofer you have to set speakers SMALL in the OPPO and pick a suitable Crossover frequency. You also have to enter real speaker distances in the OPPO. You have 7.1 speakers in your setup so you don't need to change the Speaker Configuration > Down-mix. Leave it at 7.1 -- even when you are playing Stereo content and want 2.1 output.

I'm assuming you will continue to use the Marantz for Volume control, even in this Bypass configuration. If so, the same answer applies as above. I.e., you will NORMALLY want to use Volume 100 from the OPPO (or FIXED) to send a full scale signals to the Marantz. Then use Volume control in the Marantz to set a comfortable listening level. As above, you may discover later that you need to reduce Volume a few steps below 100 in the OPPO to eliminate any possibility of clipping.

And that leaves speaker Volume trims. To do those, play a calibration track, such as the LPCM 7.1 Channel ID track from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. Leaving Volume at 100 in the OPPO, adjust Volume on the Marantz to get 75dB SPL measured from the Left Front speaker.

Leaving Volume in the OPPO and Marantz set that way, go around to all the speakers and adjust the individual Volume Trims so that all speakers produce 75dB SPL. Now look at the results. The Trim for Left Front will of course be 0dB because of how you picked the Volume in the Marantz. If any of your Trims are positive values, reduce *ALL* the Trims the same amount so that the LARGEST Trim is 0dB and every other Trim is in NEGATIVE values. So lets say you had Trims that were all between 0 and -3dB except for one that was +4dB. You would lower ALL of them by 4dB so that the large one was now 0dB and the rest were -4 to -7dB. You can make a mental note that the Volume level you have set in the Marantz would need to be raised 4dB to compensate if you wanted to reproduce your 75dB calibrated levels.

The Subwoofer channel needs special care here. The Analog Sub output signal is reduced in voltage compared to the other speaker channels to allow for *LOUD* bass without clipping. That means the Sub signal needs to be increased to match the level of the other speakers.

This Sub Boost should be applied *EXTERNAL* to the player -- for example by raising the volume knob on the Sub itself.

The amount of required Sub Boost is:

1) +10dB if no Crossover processing is happening in the OPPO, or
2) +15dB if Crossover processing *IS* happening in the OPPO.

Typically an AVR like the Marantz will automatically apply +10dB of Sub Boost when you pass the Analog Sub signal through the Marantz. So what if you need +15dB? Well the Marantz may have a setting for that (which with any luck will only apply to this Analog input), or you could adjust the Volume knob on the Sub.

But if you adjust the volume on the Sub that will screw up your Audyssey solution for other sources!

The answer to that usually comes from the fact that when you set up Analog "pass through" in an AVR, its speaker specific trims are also bypassed. So what you can do is raise the volume knob +5dB on the Sub -- to get your pure Analog from the OPPO to have the right Sub level -- and then set a -5dB Sub volume attenuation in the Marantz for all your Digital sources going through Audyssey.

The bottom line is that if the SPL tests you do with the calibration track show the Sub matched in SPL level to the other speakers then you have achieved the correct level of Sub Boost. But you do NOT want to do that by raising the Sub output volume trim in the OPPO. Arrange for the Sub Boost to happen external to the player.

--------------------------------------

The fact that you have two Subs complicates things quite a bit. Again the trick is how to make sure things are set up correctly without screwing up your Audyssey solution.

The Subs need to be matched in volume so they share equally in the bass output. And they also have to be matched in Phase. Any corrections Audyssey might be making for those WILL NOT APPLY when you are using Analog "pass through". So you need to make manual adjustments that work for Analog "pass through" -- using the controls on the Subs themselves. Making adjustments on the Subs will of course screw up your current Audyssey measurements.

By the way, if the Subs are not equidistant, the distance setting you should use for them in the OPPO is the average of their distances. Note that you have to set speaker distances FIRST before you try to adjust Phase to match for the two Subs. Then when adjusting Phase, the usual trick is to power one Sub at a time and adjust its Phase control to best match with your Left Front speaker. When each Sub individually is in Phase with Left Front, then they are also in Phase with each other.

The solution to THIS dilemma is to set up things to work correctly for Analog audio from the OPPO "passed through" the Marantz. And then, leaving the resulting settings on the Subs unchanged, re-do your Audyssey measurement and calculation pass to come up with a new Audyssey solution for your Digital sources based on the newly revised output of your Subs.

There are many possible mistakes you can make in setting up a dual use configuration like this -- i.e., pure Analog from the OPPO while retaining Audyssey for your digital sources -- so it would be wise to confirm the results afterwards by playing your audio calibration test tracks both ways: Analog from the OPPO with "pass through" in the Marantz, and HDMI Digital audio from the OPPO with Audyssey engaged in the Marantz.

--Bob
arsMatrix, scheong and oneartist like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #14078 of 14087 Old 04-23-2017, 08:56 PM
Newbie
 
Uprize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you have a 7.1 speaker setup and want to use Analog out of the OPPO, cable 7.1 Analog to your Marantz. Set the OPPO to a 7.1 down-mix so all channels are available to the Marantz.

For the rest of your questions, you first have to decide whether you want to use the Audyssey room correction processing in your Marantz or bypass it. For the Marantz to do room correction and crossover processing on the Analog input from the OPPO it must first re-digitize that input because such processing is done digitally. Then, after the processing, the results are converted BACK to Analog to send on to your speakers -- using the DACs in the Marantz.

The quality of the re-digitizing, digital processing, and re-conversion back to Analog in the Marantz may conceal what you are trying to hear as the Analog result from the use of the DACs in the OPPO.

The alternative is to configure the Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input from the OPPO doing *NOTHING* but Volume control. I.e., you would be bypassing room correction, crossover processing, down-mixing, surround sound processing, speaker distance adjustment, audio "enhancements" of any sort, etc., etc. All such stuff is done digitally, and if you don't want the Marantz to re-digitize -- and then use its DACs to convert BACK to Analog afterwards -- you need to forego ALL of those features in the Marantz. You need to check the Manual for the Marantz -- and the owner's thread here for your model -- to determine how to do that in your Marantz. Be aware that some AVRs have two levels of Analog Bypass settings. One bypasses all the processing but still does the re-digitizing. You want the other that doesn't even do the re-digitizing. Again check you Marantz info sources.

---------------------------------------------

Now, if you LIKE what the Marantz does for audio processing, believe it is good enough quality to let you hear everything you want to hear from the OPPO, and want to continue using it, then your job for configuring things is SUBSTANTIALLY easier.

First of all, you may want to simply use HDMI Audio to the Marantz instead. That eliminates the conversion to Analog output in the OPPO (using the DACs in the OPPO) and the re-digitizing in the Marantz, since the audio input is already Digital.

But if you want to use Analog from the OPPO -- perhaps for comparison -- you just have to keep in mind that you have the Marantz configured to do ALL THE WORK. So you want to set the Analog output of the OPPO to do *NOTHING*.

So in the OPPO, set all speakers to Large (which turns off Crossover processing) and with 0dB Volume trim. Set all speakers equidistant -- any distance will do so long as they are all the same -- you can just use the factory default 12 foot values. Set DTS Neo:6 Mode to OFF. And as mentioned above set Speaker Configuration > Down-Mix to 7.1.

Again, you can DO all those simple settings because the Audyssey solution in your Marantz will actually handle all this speaker configuration stuff for you including speaker level trims and crossover processing.

If you check your speaker levels afterwards with a calibration disc, it should just work. Because the OPPO is sending equal values for all speakers and the solution in the Marantz is already applying any necessary Volume Trims.

That just leaves Main Volume to set in the OPPO. Normally when feeding Analog into a pre-amp like this you would set Main Volume to 100 (or FIXED, which does the same thing). This sends a full scale signal to the Marantz. You then do Volume adjustment in the Marantz to achiever a comfortable listening level.

The only reason to set a Volume lower than 100 in the OPPO is if you discover the Analog outputs are clipping the inputs of the Marantz for louder audio passages. This will sound like a "harshness" in the loudest passages that goes away if you lower Volume in the OPPO. Typically if present at all it will only take a few steps reduction in Volume in the OPPO to prevent this. Test with your loudest audio passages. This is a set once and forget setting. So if you find Volume 96 in the OPPO insures no clipping when playing your loudest audio passages, then you just leave it at 96 for everything you play.

----------------------------------------------

Things are more complicated if you want to BYPASS all the processing in the Marantz. First you have to figure out how to set the Marantz to do that. Be sure you don't disable the Audyssey solution altogether, as you probably still want to use it for other sources.

When you have figured out how to bypass all that stuff -- how to get true Analog "pass through" in the Marantz, leaving nothing but Volume control -- then you need to start setting things up in the OPPO to handle the processing the Marantz is no longer doing.

So for example, if you want bass steering from the main speaker channels to your Subwoofer you have to set speakers SMALL in the OPPO and pick a suitable Crossover frequency. You also have to enter real speaker distances in the OPPO. You have 7.1 speakers in your setup so you don't need to change the Speaker Configuration > Down-mix. Leave it at 7.1 -- even when you are playing Stereo content and want 2.1 output.

I'm assuming you will continue to use the Marantz for Volume control, even in this Bypass configuration. If so, the same answer applies as above. I.e., you will NORMALLY want to use Volume 100 from the OPPO (or FIXED) to send a full scale signals to the Marantz. Then use Volume control in the Marantz to set a comfortable listening level. As above, you may discover later that you need to reduce Volume a few steps below 100 in the OPPO to eliminate any possibility of clipping.

And that leaves speaker Volume trims. To do those, play a calibration track, such as the LPCM 7.1 Channel ID track from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. Leaving Volume at 100 in the OPPO, adjust Volume on the Marantz to get 75dB SPL measured from the Left Front speaker.

Leaving Volume in the OPPO and Marantz set that way, go around to all the speakers and adjust the individual Volume Trims so that all speakers produce 75dB SPL. Now look at the results. The Trim for Left Front will of course be 0dB because of how you picked the Volume in the Marantz. If any of your Trims are positive values, reduce *ALL* the Trims the same amount so that the LARGEST Trim is 0dB and every other Trim is in NEGATIVE values. So lets say you had Trims that were all between 0 and -3dB except for one that was +4dB. You would lower ALL of them by 4dB so that the large one was now 0dB and the rest were -4 to -7dB. You can make a mental note that the Volume level you have set in the Marantz would need to be raised 4dB to compensate if you wanted to reproduce your 75dB calibrated levels.

The Subwoofer channel needs special care here. The Analog Sub output signal is reduced in voltage compared to the other speaker channels to allow for *LOUD* bass without clipping. That means the Sub signal needs to be increased to match the level of the other speakers.

This Sub Boost should be applied *EXTERNAL* to the player -- for example by raising the volume knob on the Sub itself.

The amount of required Sub Boost is:

1) +10dB if no Crossover processing is happening in the OPPO, or
2) +15dB if Crossover processing *IS* happening in the OPPO.

Typically an AVR like the Marantz will automatically apply +10dB of Sub Boost when you pass the Analog Sub signal through the Marantz. So what if you need +15dB? Well the Marantz may have a setting for that (which with any luck will only apply to this Analog input), or you could adjust the Volume knob on the Sub.

But if you adjust the volume on the Sub that will screw up your Audyssey solution for other sources!

The answer to that usually comes from the fact that when you set up Analog "pass through" in an AVR, its speaker specific trims are also bypassed. So what you can do is raise the volume knob +5dB on the Sub -- to get your pure Analog from the OPPO to have the right Sub level -- and then set a -5dB Sub volume attenuation in the Marantz for all your Digital sources going through Audyssey.

The bottom line is that if the SPL tests you do with the calibration track show the Sub matched in SPL level to the other speakers then you have achieved the correct level of Sub Boost. But you do NOT want to do that by raising the Sub output volume trim in the OPPO. Arrange for the Sub Boost to happen external to the player.

--------------------------------------

The fact that you have two Subs complicates things quite a bit. Again the trick is how to make sure things are set up correctly without screwing up your Audyssey solution.

The Subs need to be matched in volume so they share equally in the bass output. And they also have to be matched in Phase. Any corrections Audyssey might be making for those WILL NOT APPLY when you are using Analog "pass through". So you need to make manual adjustments that work for Analog "pass through" -- using the controls on the Subs themselves. Making adjustments on the Subs will of course screw up your current Audyssey measurements.

By the way, if the Subs are not equidistant, the distance setting you should use for them in the OPPO is the average of their distances. Note that you have to set speaker distances FIRST before you try to adjust Phase to match for the two Subs. Then when adjusting Phase, the usual trick is to power one Sub at a time and adjust its Phase control to best match with your Left Front speaker. When each Sub individually is in Phase with Left Front, then they are also in Phase with each other.

The solution to THIS dilemma is to set up things to work correctly for Analog audio from the OPPO "passed through" the Marantz. And then, leaving the resulting settings on the Subs unchanged, re-do your Audyssey measurement and calculation pass to come up with a new Audyssey solution for your Digital sources based on the newly revised output of your Subs.

There are many possible mistakes you can make in setting up a dual use configuration like this -- i.e., pure Analog from the OPPO while retaining Audyssey for your digital sources -- so it would be wise to confirm the results afterwards by playing your audio calibration test tracks both ways: Analog from the OPPO with "pass through" in the Marantz, and HDMI Digital audio from the OPPO with Audyssey engaged in the Marantz.

--Bob
Fantastic! Bob, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to answer my questions. I also appreciate that you went as far as to lay out my options. You’ve definitely given me a lot to chew on - though I’m leaning towards the analog “pass through” solution you described. I’ll get started on this as soon as my Front Left speaker is repaired or replaced.

Stan
Uprize is offline  
post #14079 of 14087 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
Newbie
 
Redrum69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western New York, USA
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
help with pre/pro replacement

Hi;

I hope that this is the right thread to ask this question. I am confused.

I greatly simplified my system when I got my BDP105D by using my BDP105D to convert optical digital to analog from a squeezebox touch, process the HDMI from my direct TV, play CD's, SACD's DVD's Bluray's, etc. I fed the analog (using the HQ outputs) into the multichannel (labeled DVD-A) input of an Arcam AVR-300, using this avr basically as an analog preamp and amp. The AVR-300 drives a pair of Golden Ear Triton II, a GE center and sats.

I am only looking for 5.1, not trying to stay up with the curve. My primary interest is music with the bonus that Blurays look and sound great.

Well, my AVR-300's power supply failed for the second time, so it's time to replace (fool me once...).

As I get older, I find that my ears aren't what they used to be, and I am satisfied with "pretty darn good".

I was thinking of replacing the arcam with an amp such as the outlaw 5000. I know there are people that swear by using the BDP as a preamp, and others that say don't do it. So, I was looking for a pre-pro that basically does very little, but does it without touching the analog coming out of the BDP-105D, so I get the benefit of what I paid extra for (the bdp105 conversion to analog). I don't mind if it does alot of the other stuff as long as I can use the analog outs from the BDP105 and it just passes them through to the amp in stereo mode.In fact, I would want a 5.1 pass through for 5.1 high res audio formats.

If it can do room correction, I would be willing to give that a try.

What am I missing, under/over thinking? It seems to me that I don't want to have to pay for the bdp105 analog prowess only to pass it on to something that is going to chop it up and put it back together?

help?
Jim
Redrum69 is online now  
post #14080 of 14087 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,303
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2879 Post(s)
Liked: 3728
^ You were doing fine until you tossed in Room Correction!

Room Correction in modern processors is done digitally. That means Analog input (from the OPPO has to be re-digitized, then processed, then converted BACK to Analog for output. That last step uses the DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) in the processor. All of which kind of messes up your idea of a unit that will just pass through the Analog from the OPPO.

There's nothing wrong with Room Correction (done right). I use Anthem Room Correction in my Anthem Statement D2v / 3D and love it. But it is not the straight through signal path you were contemplating.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #14081 of 14087 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
Newbie
 
Redrum69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western New York, USA
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ You were doing fine until you tossed in Room Correction!

Room Correction in modern processors is done digitally. That means Analog input (from the OPPO has to be re-digitized, then processed, then converted BACK to Analog for output. That last step uses the DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) in the processor. All of which kind of messes up your idea of a unit that will just pass through the Analog from the OPPO.

There's nothing wrong with Room Correction (done right). I use Anthem Room Correction in my Anthem Statement D2v / 3D and love it. But it is not the straight through signal path you were contemplating.

--Bob
Right Bob;

I guess I was trying to say (not very well) that non altered stereo signals from the bdp105 were what I was concerned with, but in a 5.1 environment I would be willing to play with correction (and not be too concerned about the extra processing).

So I am back to what I started, what to replace the AVR300 in the BDP105 analog outs (including the HQ stereo outs) -> AVR300 DVD-A inputs -> speakers path now that the AVR300 has died? Choice 1 is nothing, choice 2 is? It seems like choice 2 could be a pre/pro with a stereo direct mode.

Jim
Redrum69 is online now  
post #14082 of 14087 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post
Right Bob;

I guess I was trying to say (not very well) that non altered stereo signals from the bdp105 were what I was concerned with, but in a 5.1 environment I would be willing to play with correction (and not be too concerned about the extra processing).

So I am back to what I started, what to replace the AVR300 in the BDP105 analog outs (including the HQ stereo outs) -> AVR300 DVD-A inputs -> speakers path now that the AVR300 has died? Choice 1 is nothing, choice 2 is? It seems like choice 2 could be a pre/pro with a stereo direct mode.

Jim
Turn it into a pre/pro. Nice and easy and no complications. Except if the 105 don't like your amp. But, that's for another time.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
Mongo171 is online now  
post #14083 of 14087 Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Audiguy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ You were doing fine until you tossed in Room Correction!

Room Correction in modern processors is done digitally. That means Analog input (from the OPPO has to be re-digitized, then processed, then converted BACK to Analog for output. That last step uses the DACs (Digital to Analog Converters) in the processor. All of which kind of messes up your idea of a unit that will just pass through the Analog from the OPPO.

There's nothing wrong with Room Correction (done right). I use Anthem Room Correction in my Anthem Statement D2v / 3D and love it. But it is not the straight through signal path you were contemplating.

--Bob
Right Bob;

I guess I was trying to say (not very well) that non altered stereo signals from the bdp105 were what I was concerned with, but in a 5.1 environment I would be willing to play with correction (and not be too concerned about the extra processing).

So I am back to what I started, what to replace the AVR300 in the BDP105 analog outs (including the HQ stereo outs) -&gt; AVR300 DVD-A inputs -&gt; speakers path now that the AVR300 has died? Choice 1 is nothing, choice 2 is? It seems like choice 2 could be a pre/pro with a stereo direct mode.

Jim
Look at Accessories for Less. Authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz gear for less.
Audiguy3 is offline  
post #14084 of 14087 Old Today, 02:24 AM
Newbie
 
Redrum69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western New York, USA
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Turn it into a pre/pro. Nice and easy and no complications. Except if the 105 don't like your amp. But, that's for another time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Look at Accessories for Less. Authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz gear for less.
Thanks
- Mongo to be clear, are you suggesting my option 1, bdp105 direct to the amp? Since I don't own the amp are their specifications for a proper amp to mate to the bdp? Input Impedence, etc?

- AG - I am not sure why I would be looking for marantz gear? Anything specific? Also, I am not saying I am not ready to spend money, just my listening habit have changed and spending focus has shifted. Many hobbies

My point, and confusion is that I bought the BDP-105 for the high quality analog out. Otherwise I could have spent alot less for the BDP103, right? Since the digital signal (CD, Blu-Ray, FLAC, etc) from the sources is "ideal", I don't get any advantage when I convert the digital source, to high quality analog (BDP105), then back to digital and again to analog (Pre/Pro or AVR), other than if I want room correction, or similar. The Arcam did this, controlled the volume, amplify and didn't take the HQ analog, convert, convert, control volume, amplify, then to speakers.

I would be happy going direct from the BDP105 if I knew I was buying the right amp. I would be happy to buy a pre-pro if I knew there was a stereo direct, same with another avr, but I would be paying for a whole lot of things that I don't use. I think alot of us owned Pre-Pros or avrs when we bought the 105, then shrugged our shoulders and continued to use it for a fraction of what it can do. I have a dead avr, here is my opportunity to change that.

Example - if there is a 5 channel analog preamp that isn't super high end

Jim
Redrum69 is online now  
post #14085 of 14087 Old Today, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post
I bought the BDP-105 for the high quality analog out. Otherwise I could have spent alot less for the BDP103, right?
Wrong. I buy 105s rather than 103s for the flexibility the superior analog provides if I need it. For example, in one setup, I use HDMI from the 105 to a Bryston SP3 prepro that provides the DAC. But in another setup, I use analog from a 105 to an Ayre 5-series preamp that does no digital processing. BTW, that 105 is scheduled to be replaced with a 205 Friday. I don't think you should view it as a waste of money if you want to use HDMI from your 105 for something like room correction by a prepro or integrated. View it instead as providing future flexibility.

db
dbphd is offline  
post #14086 of 14087 Old Today, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Audiguy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Turn it into a pre/pro. Nice and easy and no complications. Except if the 105 don't like your amp. But, that's for another time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Look at Accessories for Less. Authorized dealer for refurbished Marantz gear for less.
Thanks
- Mongo to be clear, are you suggesting my option 1, bdp105 direct to the amp? Since I don't own the amp are their specifications for a proper amp to mate to the bdp? Input Impedence, etc?

- AG - I am not sure why I would be looking for marantz gear? Anything specific? Also, I am not saying I am not ready to spend money, just my listening habit have changed and spending focus has shifted. Many hobbies

My point, and confusion is that I bought the BDP-105 for the high quality analog out. Otherwise I could have spent alot less for the BDP103, right? Since the digital signal (CD, Blu-Ray, FLAC, etc) from the sources is "ideal", I don't get any advantage when I convert the digital source, to high quality analog (BDP105), then back to digital and again to analog (Pre/Pro or AVR), other than if I want room correction, or similar. The Arcam did this, controlled the volume, amplify and didn't take the HQ analog, convert, convert, control volume, amplify, then to speakers.

I would be happy going direct from the BDP105 if I knew I was buying the right amp. I would be happy to buy a pre-pro if I knew there was a stereo direct, same with another avr, but I would be paying for a whole lot of things that I don't use. I think alot of us owned Pre-Pros or avrs when we bought the 105, then shrugged our shoulders and continued to use it for a fraction of what it can do. I have a dead avr, here is my opportunity to change that.

Example - if there is a 5 channel analog preamp that isn't super high end

Jim
69
I have Marantz gear that I use with my OPPO 105. On can run analog directly via XLR or rca 5 channels from the Oppo or use HDMI for signal pcm processing. Lots of options with marantz that has great music capability
Audiguy3 is offline  
post #14087 of 14087 Old Today, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Don't forget the dedicated stereo outputs if you want just stereo.
Mongo171 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off