Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 471 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 512Likes

post #14101 of 14111 Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok, thank you. I will try a firmware reinstall. If no luck I will contact Oppo tech support. Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14102 of 14111 Old 06-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3520 Post(s)
Liked: 4514
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicD909 View Post
Ok, thank you. I will try a firmware reinstall. If no luck I will contact Oppo tech support. Cheers.
I just had another thought on this: If you have any USB disks plugged into the player, try unplugging them from the player. It may be the disk is not responding properly while the player is trying to mount it.

While you are at it, temporarily disconnect networking from the player (unplug the Wifi dongle and any Ethernet cable).

If doing these cures the problem, then the issue is likely in whatever you had plugged in. Reconnect things one at a time until you find the culprit.

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14103 of 14111 Old 06-16-2017, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, sorry for this question as I'm sure I have seen it before however, I've just spent an hour looking for it and can't find it and I'm getting tired.
My Denon died, I was using it as a pre amp. So as of 90 mins ago, the Oppo 105 is now going straight to the Anthem MCA50 amp.
How can I have my speakers set to large and still get the sub to work?
I am listening to Cds at the moment and unless I go small there is no sub.
My speakers are well big enough to handle full range and I'm sure I read somewhere this was possible.

Also, do you think there may be an upgrade to create a 5ch stereo mode or all channel stereo instead of Neo6?
That's one difference I've found already that sounded better with the Denon.

Thanks in advance.

Denon AVCA10SE
Anthem MCA-50
Paradigm Studio 100s Paradigm CC690 Paradigm Studio 20s
Paradigm Studio Sub12 Definitive Technology Supercube 2
Oppo BDP-105
Samsung AU60D8000

post #14104 of 14111 Old 06-16-2017, 04:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3520 Post(s)
Liked: 4514
Quote:
Originally Posted by htimseel View Post
Ok, sorry for this question as I'm sure I have seen it before however, I've just spent an hour looking for it and can't find it and I'm getting tired.
My Denon died, I was using it as a pre amp. So as of 90 mins ago, the Oppo 105 is now going straight to the Anthem MCA50 amp.
How can I have my speakers set to large and still get the sub to work?
I am listening to Cds at the moment and unless I go small there is no sub.
My speakers are well big enough to handle full range and I'm sure I read somewhere this was possible.

Also, do you think there may be an upgrade to create a 5ch stereo mode or all channel stereo instead of Neo6?
That's one difference I've found already that sounded better with the Denon.

Thanks in advance.
I'd be surprised if there were additional feature upgrades to the 105 at this point. OPPO has done late in life upgrades in the past, but they are always a surprise.

The normal way to get Sub bass with full range speakers would be to set the speakers to SMALL and set a lower Crossover frequency. Keep in mind that Crossover rolls in over about a factor of 2 in frequency. So if you set Crossover to say 60Hz, that means you are saying your speakers are good for quality bass output, at volume, all the way down to 30Hz. Sub Boost, applied external to the player, should be +15 dB in this configuration, so that the Sub output is matched to the main speakers.

If you really want Double Bass -- bass from BOTH the Left/Right front speakers and the Sub you CAN do that, but it is not really correct sound reproduction:

1) Wire the Dedicated Stereo Analog RCA pair and also the Subwoofer RCA jack from the multi-channel set.

2) Set Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO. This means the Dedicated RCA pair will get a full range signal.

3) Meanwhile set LF/RF SMALL in the multi-channel Analog Speaker Configuration (even though they are not wired). This enables Crossover to the Sub out.

4) Select a Crossover frequency. Steered bass will come out on the Sub jack even as full range is coming out on the Dedicated pair.

5) Adjust the volume knob on your Sub to get the blend you want. Since you are doubling the bass output, there is no "correct" answer for this. It will be a matter of taste.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #14105 of 14111 Old 06-16-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 173
The Bryston SP3 has a setting for speakers at full range plus sub output, but they don't recommend using it and neither do I. It's too easy to end up with a bloated sound.

I use a 40 Hz crossover for surround and HT with front LR passed to a Parasound JC 2 BP. The subs are not used for stereo, and the JC 2 BP has no provision for subs anyway. The speakers have useful LF extension to 20 Hz. The pair of 15" subs is mostly for movie effects.

db
post #14106 of 14111 Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks for the detailed reply Bob,
I had been faffing about with lower crossover settings as it happens and 60hz seems to work nicely in my room.

I played Pink Floyd The Division Bell 5.1 disc and it sounded really great. Tons of bottom end so no real need to have subs and large settings.

It's only the 5ch stereo option that I miss now, any Oppo peeps reading this please can you look at an upgrade for this setting, it would be excellent to have?!

Thanks again.

Denon AVCA10SE
Anthem MCA-50
Paradigm Studio 100s Paradigm CC690 Paradigm Studio 20s
Paradigm Studio Sub12 Definitive Technology Supercube 2
Oppo BDP-105
Samsung AU60D8000
post #14107 of 14111 Old 07-18-2017, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Strange Problem

Hi,
Recently, my system developed a strange problem that I could use some help and/or thoughts on.

I have a DirecTV receiver connected to the HDMI IN Back of my BDP-105D, and the HDMI1 Out and HDMI2 Out, bith feed TV Displays. Additionally, The analog outs (including the HQ audio) of the 105 connect to an Arcam Receiver's MCH (DVD-A) inputs, and are passed through (direct mode).

A few months back, I started having intermittent audio (breaks of 1/2 second every couple seconds) through the analog link, but ONLY on a few of the DirecTV channels. I thought the winter and spring growth might have affected my Sat line of sight, so I just didn't watch the channels. When I finally took a look at it, branch trimming, fine alignment of dish, didn't help. I then checked and the affected channels are NOT on the same satellite. Hmmm....

Finally (Duh), I turned on the speaker of my Samsung Plasma that is in the same room as the audio system, and the audio is fine on the affected channels. I then (duh) checked the other TV, and that is fine as well. I checked a CD and a Blu-Ray on the 105. Fine.

So, something is happening in the DirecTV->105 HDMI->analog out to receiver, that isn't happening in the 105-> HDMI out link. ONLY on a few channels. (??)

BTW, I am the guy who's Arcam died, and I was asking about analog pass through alternatives, but that was put on hold when the Arcam started working again. I am certainly considering that as a possibility, but this sounds more like a digital handshake issue.

I am going to try to swap a few things around (like, use HDMI front, cables), etc to try to pin it down, but in the mean time, any thoughts would be welcome.

This started sometime in the spring, so perhaps a firmware upgrade?

Jim
post #14108 of 14111 Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post
Hi,
Recently, my system developed a strange problem that I could use some help and/or thoughts on.

I have a DirecTV receiver connected to the HDMI IN Back of my BDP-105D, and the HDMI1 Out and HDMI2 Out, bith feed TV Displays. Additionally, The analog outs (including the HQ audio) of the 105 connect to an Arcam Receiver's MCH (DVD-A) inputs, and are passed through (direct mode).

A few months back, I started having intermittent audio (breaks of 1/2 second every couple seconds) through the analog link, but ONLY on a few of the DirecTV channels. I thought the winter and spring growth might have affected my Sat line of sight, so I just didn't watch the channels. When I finally took a look at it, branch trimming, fine alignment of dish, didn't help. I then checked and the affected channels are NOT on the same satellite. Hmmm....

Finally (Duh), I turned on the speaker of my Samsung Plasma that is in the same room as the audio system, and the audio is fine on the affected channels. I then (duh) checked the other TV, and that is fine as well. I checked a CD and a Blu-Ray on the 105. Fine.

So, something is happening in the DirecTV->105 HDMI->analog out to receiver, that isn't happening in the 105-> HDMI out link. ONLY on a few channels. (??)

BTW, I am the guy who's Arcam died, and I was asking about analog pass through alternatives, but that was put on hold when the Arcam started working again. I am certainly considering that as a possibility, but this sounds more like a digital handshake issue.

I am going to try to swap a few things around (like, use HDMI front, cables), etc to try to pin it down, but in the mean time, any thoughts would be welcome.

This started sometime in the spring, so perhaps a firmware upgrade?

Jim
Hi;
see my post above. I didn't get any bites, but that's ok. I am working on it with oppo and will post what the issue turned out to be in case anyone else runs into this issue

I did some experimenting and it gets stranger. Directv receiver->bdp105d->samsung plasma (HDMI), arcam receiver (analog audio).

When I play certain directv channels (HGTV, Comedy central, etc), I get an audio drop out of say 1/2 second every couple seconds through the analog to my receiver. Not on all channels.

Turn on the speaker on the sammy tv, and the audio plays fine.
Run a digital coax from the bdp to the arcam receiver, and the audio plays fine.
Play anything else through the BDP, Blu-ray, CD, stream, etc, and the audio plays fine.

Jim
post #14109 of 14111 Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum69 View Post
Directv receiver->bdp105d->samsung plasma (HDMI), arcam receiver (analog audio).

When I play certain directv channels (HGTV, Comedy central, etc), I get an audio drop out of say 1/2 second every couple seconds through the analog to my receiver. Not on all channels.

Turn on the speaker on the sammy tv, and the audio plays fine.
Run a digital coax from the bdp to the arcam receiver, and the audio plays fine.
Play anything else through the BDP, Blu-ray, CD, stream, etc, and the audio plays fine.
I'm experiencing similar problems with DirecTV Mini via HDMI to Oppo 205 with analog to Ayre preamp. Brief audio dropout every few seconds, often complete audio dropout when changing channels or recording program thats fixed by reselecting HDMI in the Oppo menu. Didn't occur with previous 105 (suggesting problem is with 205), but doesn't occur with Fire TV or playing a disc (suggesting the problem is with DirecTV). No such problem with the main DirecTV to 105D via HDMI in the HT setup, but that DirecTV wont stay connected to WiFi.

DirecTV's interface seems to be a copy of the TIVO interface. Wondering about going with TIVO and cable.

db
post #14110 of 14111 Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am in a similar situation with the 205, but not using DirecTV. I have a SA8300HD DVR connected to HDMI IN from Optimum online. Sound drops when changing channels, sometimes after switching to HDMI In. I have provided Oppo with diagnostic logs and hopefully the will be able to sort this out in a future firmware update. I had the 105 connected to the same sa8300hd before but in my case didn't see this specific problem until an early firmware update of the 205. Not sure if the 105 shares firmware code base, but it would be a good idea to report this problem to Oppo for review.
post #14111 of 14111 Old 07-20-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelises View Post
I am in a similar situation with the 205, but not using DirecTV. I have a SA8300HD DVR connected to HDMI IN from Optimum online. Sound drops when changing channels, sometimes after switching to HDMI In. I have provided Oppo with diagnostic logs and hopefully the will be able to sort this out in a future firmware update. I had the 105 connected to the same sa8300hd before but in my case didn't see this specific problem until an early firmware update of the 205. Not sure if the 105 shares firmware code base, but it would be a good idea to report this problem to Oppo for review.
Db and Santelises, thanks for your comments. It's nice (?) to know I am not alone. I have contacted oppo support and provide log files (two - one with stations that have drop outs, one without). In my mind this manifested itself somewhere near April, as I thought initially that the trees that have been ever threatening my line of sight to the sats had finally grown enough. I should have known it wasn't that because I didn't get any pixelation...anyhow, my point being is that this issue "appeared", so unless it is a electronic component failure, firmware could be a suspect.

For me this is a bit of a benign problem as I'll just use the optical digital for directv for now.. If this occured on bluray or sacd it would be huge.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page