post #1531 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 02:24 AM
FMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

The "trick" I've had to use a couple of times is called rebooting the 105 frown.gif
That along with patients has been rewarded. I found the Kinsky app to be unintuitive on Android. BubbleUPnP works well as a controller with the deck. Using dbPowerAmp Asset server. Overall a good combination.
Styln

Thanks Stylyn

Patience worked. I am using JRiver>JRemote (iPad) and it is working great now. Takes some time for the Oppo to be seen by JRiver after launch but is seen immediately on the iPad now. Using the JRiver DLNA although I also have Asset. Pretty happy with the setup. With Authentication setup you are also able to talk back to your library (IE change ratings, etc) on the iPad.

The only issue I have is stopping the stream. The Stop function on the Oppo remote acts like next song. Home has no effect.

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 AM

Liked: 15
Got the 105 to replace my SCD-XA777ES and clutter (xstreamer and stand alone BR player). Did not do a 1:1 yet. Will give the OPPO some time to run in aka me getting familiar with its functions. In 2-3 months I will give it a go. Im curious and a little "afraid" as the Sony has always positively impressed me, not in the latest because I did not expect this level of performance from a Sony. For an OPPO the build is quite good, however the Sony is still winning in this department. Disc tray is still smooth as silk and sturdy. Not so with the 105. Naja, as long as the sound is coming out properly wink.gif
Other reason is to use a superior DAC to connect to my Sonos main room install. Out of the box this is already a heavenly improvement. The usage is 95/5 for Sonos vs. dedicated disc spinning primarily due to ease of use. Randomising my library is amazing and lets me rediscover hidden gems. And the one remote to controll all is a killer item for the family smile.gif

One thing I find a nuisance is the many clicks needed to change the source (i do not use a screen at this point) I'd wish there would be dedicated buttons for this. Also, I cannot see from the stream if it is decoding HDCD. The spinner clearly indicates this.
And I have not found a way to add subtitles .srt files to my .mkv movies. Anyone can help with this?

Overall happy with the box. I almost got myself a 95 earlier this year, however two shipments did not make it (assuming they were sent at all wink.gif. Happy with how this turned out though as the biggest miss with the 95 is the failing dig in.
Cheers,
Dodo
post #1533 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 05:08 AM

Liked: 10
Hello guys... I have a question.

Currently I'm using a parasound 1206 power-amp with an Onkyo TX-NR3008 as a pre-amp. I was considering the Oppo 103 as my next bluray player, but maybe the 105 is also an option.

Why not use the 105 as an pre-amp?
Changes are big that the Dacs in the 105 outperform the 3008 dacs, but will they really do? But when using the 105 alone I cannot benefit from the roomcorrection Audessy XT32, and other reciever specific adjustements anymore. The question is will I miss that? My listening-room is not really treated, but it sounds quite well in my opinion. On the other hand I have the feeling I've got less redundant functionality in the equipment-chain when using only the 105 with the Para 1206.

What I use a lot in the Onkyo is playing stereo music in 2.1 Stereo-mode. Can I do that with the 105 as well?

So the question is:
Oppo 103 -> Onkyo 3008 -> Parasound 1206

versus

Oppo 105 --> Parasound 1206

Greetings
Remco
post #1534 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

Thanks - I'll look into that plan. My one issue is that I'd like to have Zone 2 playback and I like that I could use the Stereo outs and they'd create a downmix of 5.1 material, but the sound of the Stereo DAC is so noticeably better and different than the multi-ch L/R that I hate hate hate to waste it on Zone 2 - seems like a crime against nature. But I may have to be criminal go that way - Zone 2 has to be hooked up analog. I'm not dead sure the multi-ch DACs sound any better than those in the Marantz...maybe, but not nearly as obvious as the Stereo DAC.
How do you have HDMI set - Dual or Split? Are you using the HDMI output at all for audio or going all analog?

I have HDMI 1 into the Denon receiver but I turn off the HDMI audio in the Audio Format Setup and only use the analog. I then pass the video signal from the Oppo/Apple TV through to the TV. I use the default Split A/V option in the settings for that reason and I don't have anything on HDMI 2.

There is a note on page 64 in the User Manual about a hardware limitation that SACD/DSD output is only available from HDMI 2. To listen to DSD using HDMI 1 you have to convert DSD to PCM.

I haven't tried any of the Zone 2 options so can't help you there sorry. I would just let my AVR handle the additional zones. I think page 18, the third bullet, might be what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1535 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boekhour View Post

Currently I'm using a parasound 1206 power-amp with an Onkyo TX-NR3008 as a pre-amp. I was considering the Oppo 103 as my next bluray player, but maybe the 105 is also an option.
Changes are big that the Dacs in the 105 outperform the 3008 dacs, but will they really do? But when using the 105 alone I cannot benefit from the roomcorrection Audessy XT32, and other reciever specific adjustements anymore. The question is will I miss that? My listening-room is not really treated, but it sounds quite well in my opinion. On the other hand I have the feeling I've got less redundant functionality in the equipment-chain when using only the 105 with the Para 1206.
What I use a lot in the Onkyo is playing stereo music in 2.1 Stereo-mode. Can I do that with the 105 as well?
So the question is:
versus
Greetings
Remco

Yes. See my post on how I am doing that with a Denon receiver. Please note though that I am using only analog from the Oppo and I have disabled Audyssey XT32 as I am only interested in "correcting" frequencies associated with my room (i.e. < 300Hz). My Paradigm Perfect Bass Kit does a similar function as the Audyssey.

Unless your listening area is nice and flat in terms of accurate frequency response <300Hz my recommendation for you would be to leverage the Audyssey XT32 so use the HDMI output from the Oppo BDP-103. You can look at the graphs that Audyssey has produced in your Onkyo to see what is going on. They are not perfect but can give you an idea of problem areas. Sometimes you can't hear a dip or a peak unless it is constant. Also, you should never try and correct a dip, especially a big dip due to it being position dependant and power-draining. Try and move the subwoofer around before you try and equalise these. Concentrate on the frequencies < 300Hz.

Feeding analog to the Onkyo and then resampling/A to D is not the best option. Unless you need to use the DAC and the headphone amplifier I would recommend you go with the BDP-103.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1536 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 06:24 AM

Liked: 13
I Know I'm in the minority here, but I have sent my 105 back. I spent two, 8 hour days with the system trying to get the best sound out of it. I'm not really interested in the picture quality. I never rent movies.Although my wife and I watch movies, they are off of the cable.I planned on watching a few off of the player,but primarily, I wanted it for the sound system. I tried every different configuration in the book, and I just was not impressed.It was not any better than my old junk JVC that I have had for 10 years. I'm an old rock and roller, and I wanted it to have... " thump" and clarity. The 5.1 analog outputs sounded flat, to me. And using it I could never get the second zone to work(out in garage). I didn't spend much time trying to resolve this issue as I knew I wasn't liking the sound anyway. I ended up using the RCA's out,as that was my only other good choice, and it was unimpressive to both of us.(I never tried the optical as I figured it would be about the same).We had just recorded 12/12/12 concert on the Time Warner supplied DVR and it was much ,much better sounding than the Oppo. Pink Floyd was clear, clean and hard hitting. The Oppo wasn't. My father has been dead for a decade now, but I remember him telling me when I was a kid that "It don't do you any good to put a gold ring in a hogs nose.... Its still a hog". My old Marantz 7500 with no HDMI is the hog, and I think I would be better suited to get a new Marantz 7007,or 6007, receiver with a Oppo 103. My 5 Miller Kreisels are 4 ohm anyway, and I'm sure they would like the power increase.
post #1537 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by boekhour View Post

So the question is:

versus

Greetings
Remco

I think you will find that the significant difference made by the loss of Audyssey XT32 EQ is nowhere near compensated for by any audible difference between modern DACs. This is especially so in an untreated room where the room-created distortions are only being removed or attenuated by electronic EQ.

DACs are just a commodity these days - typically they cost a few dollars.

TKO1 likes this.
post #1538 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3740 View Post

I Know I'm in the minority here, but I have sent my 105 back. I spent two, 8 hour days with the system trying to get the best sound out of it. I'm not really interested in the picture quality. I never rent movies.Although my wife and I watch movies, they are off of the cable.I planned on watching a few off of the player,but primarily, I wanted it for the sound system. I tried every different configuration in the book, and I just was not impressed.It was not any better than my old junk JVC that I have had for 10 years. I'm an old rock and roller, and I wanted it to have " thump"and clarity. The 5.1 analog outputs sounded flat ,to me. And using it I could never get the second zone to work(out in garage). I didn't spend much time trying to resolve this issue as I knew I wasn't liking the sound anyway. I ended up using the RCA's out,as that was my only other choice, and it was unimpressive to both of us. My father has been dead for a decade now, but I remember him telling me when I was a kid that "It don't do you any good to put a gold ring in a hogs nose.... Its still a hog". My old Marantz 7500 with no HDMI is the hog, and I think I would be better suited to get a new Marantz 7007,or 6007, receiver with a Oppo 103. My 5 Miller Kreisels are 4 ohm anyway, and I'm sure they would like the power increase.

Based on your review I wouldn't even recommend an Oppo. If this is the way you plan on using it then just pick up a Sony or a Panasonic and save yourself $300.00.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1539 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I Know I'm in the minority here, but I have sent my 105 back. I spent two, 8 hour days with the system trying to get the best sound out of it. I'm not really interested in the picture quality. I never rent movies.Although my wife and I watch movies, they are off of the cable.I planned on watching a few off of the player,but primarily, I wanted it for the sound system. I tried every different configuration in the book, and I just was not impressed.It was not any better than my old junk JVC that I have had for 10 years. I'm an old rock and roller, and I wanted it to have... " thump" and clarity. The 5.1 analog outputs sounded flat, to me. And using it I could never get the second zone to work(out in garage). I didn't spend much time trying to resolve this issue as I knew I wasn't liking the sound anyway. I ended up using the RCA's out,as that was my only other good choice, and it was unimpressive to both of us.(I never tried the optical as I figured it would be about the same). My father has been dead for a decade now, but I remember him telling me when I was a kid that "It don't do you any good to put a gold ring in a hogs nose.... Its still a hog". My old Marantz 7500 with no HDMI is the hog, and I think I would be better suited to get a new Marantz 7007,or 6007, receiver with a Oppo 103. My 5 Miller Kreisels are 4 ohm anyway, and I'm sure they would like the power increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Based on your review I wouldn't even recommend an Oppo. If this is the way you plan on using it then just pick up a Sony or a Panasonic and save yourself $300.00.
Cheers.
Tony

I agree with your assessment based on his intended use.

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #1540 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 AM

I Know I'm in the minority here, but I have sent my 105 back. I spent two, 8 hour days with the system trying to get the best sound out of it. I'm not really interested in the picture quality. I never rent movies.Although my wife and I watch movies, they are off of the cable.I planned on watching a few off of the player,but primarily, I wanted it for the sound system. I tried every different configuration in the book, and I just was not impressed.It was not any better than my old junk JVC that I have had for 10 years. I'm an old rock and roller, and I wanted it to have... " thump" and clarity. The 5.1 analog outputs sounded flat, to me. And using it I could never get the second zone to work(out in garage). I didn't spend much time trying to resolve this issue as I knew I wasn't liking the sound anyway. I ended up using the RCA's out,as that was my only other good choice, and it was unimpressive to both of us.(I never tried the optical as I figured it would be about the same).We had just recorded 12/12/12 concert on the Time Warner supplied DVR and it was much ,much better sounding than the Oppo. Pink Floyd was clear, clean and hard hitting. The Oppo wasn't. My father has been dead for a decade now, but I remember him telling me when I was a kid that "It don't do you any good to put a gold ring in a hogs nose.... Its still a hog". My old Marantz 7500 with no HDMI is the hog, and I think I would be better suited to get a new Marantz 7007,or 6007, receiver with a Oppo 103. My 5 Miller Kreisels are 4 ohm anyway, and I'm sure they would like the power increase.

Cheers.
Tony

Thanks for your input.. So I guess you are telling me they all sound the same and spending more money won't necessarily get you better sound.? ....ie. All the technology goes toward picture quality?
post #1541 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Are Oppos made in America? If for no other reason I will purchase one of theirs and spend a little more. ...

Made in China. Design and development is done in the US.

-Bill
post #1542 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

The player does not know the difference between a test disc and any other disc. If you have any THX certified discs, they have test tones suitable for speaker level calibration.[/quote

I have Digital Video Essentials HD Basics. I can't see the video with the 105's speaker configuration overlay. Is there another disc with just the test tones
post #1543 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cheers.
Tony
Thanks for your input.. So I guess you are telling me they all sound the same and spending more money won't necessarily get you better sound.? ....ie. All the technology goes toward picture quality?

No, that's not what I am saying... your negative review coupled with your intention to watch movies off cable and not rent them - no interest in picture quality and you don't like the sound from the Oppo, which BTW, is completely the opposite of everyone on this forum, suggests you would be better off buying a regular BluRay player that outputs HDMI to your new Marantz and save yourself the extra money.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1544 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:

No, that's not what I am saying... your negative review coupled with your intention to watch movies off cable and not rent them - no interest in picture quality and you don't like the sound from the Oppo, which BTW, is completely the opposite of everyone on this forum, suggests you would be better off buying a regular BluRay player that outputs HDMI to your new Marantz and save yourself the extra money.
Cheers.
Tony

I'm not being negative Tony. Blatantly honest, yes.I just stated what my findings were, as other member's of this Forum,little as they my be, might be interested in the CD audio findings,more so than the "overall movie experience". I'm just not a movie buff,I race cars all summer and am the Union President for a large Corporation. Quite frankly, it keeps me so busy I don't really have much time for movies. Maybe someday when I retire I can find the time, right now I don't. But I thank you for your input, as I value the members on this forum as a resource that has taken many, many years to acquire.
post #1545 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Hi all,

I am about to tackle installation of a new 105 which is replacing an 83. My cabinet is very unfriendly to deal with thus I'd like to get this right the first time. I also just bought a Mac Mini which I would like to use as media server/HTPC with the 105. If you don't mind I have a few questions before I get started:

1) Can I use the power cord from the 83 with the 105? I ask because it is already hooked up to the panamax conditioner and it would be much easier to leave it. I'm happy to switch it out if necessary but if they are both equal in performance then I will use the 83's cord into the 105.

2) I have an Integra 8.8 receiver which is now about 6 years old so I'd like the Oppo to do all audio/video processing for my system, including the Mac Mini and preferably my cable box. So when hooking up the 105 to the receiver should I simply us HDMI 1 out into the Integra? Will this still allow processing to occur in the Oppo or do I have to attach the analog outs from the Oppo into the Integra too? I want the best audio quality for stereo listening for sure. Should I thus hook up both the analog stereo outs and hdmi to the integra?

3) I'm currently highly befuddled by how best to hook up the Mac Mini to the Oppo. Ideally I would like to be able to use my plasma TV (which is connected to the Integra) as the Mac Mini's screen but again, having the oppo process the audio and video outputted from the Mini. So how would I best accomplish this? If I plug the HDMI out from the Mac Mini into the HDMI In of the Oppo will the Oppo then process audio/video from the Mini and concurrently display the Mini's screen on the plasma? The Mac Mini also has digital audio out as well as usb audio out .. would either of these be preferable to HDMI for music? Can I plug both the Mac Mini's hdmi out AND the USB out into the Oppo's USB DAC and then use the computer to change the output selection as needed? Any reason to hook up the optical out AND the usb out of the mini into the optical and usb dac of the Oppo .. if inputting just one, which is preferred (I assume USB)?

4) Since the Mac Mini will be connected to my wireless network via Airport can I plug an ethernet cable between the Oppo LAN and the Mac Mini ethernet port in order to connect the Oppo to the network (and thus avoid using the Oppo wireless adapter)?

5) I know the Oppo doesn't natively support ALAC files, but, if they are stored on the Mac Mini in iTunes, and the mac mini is hardwired to the Oppo via hdmi, usb or optical, will the Oppo play/transmit the ALAC files?

6) Since the Oppo has 2 HDMI inputs and I'd like to hook up the Mac Mini and the cable box does it matter which HDMI input, front or back, they are inserted in?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm hoping to get this right the first time, any help is greatly appreciated.
post #1546 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Yes. See my post on how I am doing that with a Denon receiver. Please note though that I am using only analog from the Oppo and I have disabled Audyssey XT32 as I am only interested in "correcting" frequencies associated with my room (i.e. < 300Hz). My Paradigm Perfect Bass Kit does a similar function as the Audyssey.

You bass manage at 300Hz?  

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1547 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 09:46 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

Ok, I'm not sure I get it yet. I have the Apple TV hooked up to the Optical input and I listen to Internet Radio. The oppo's analog outs are connected to the pre amp's analong in.
So when I change the crossover, would I hear the difference in this set up?
I thought the corssover is only when the maching is playing a disc.

The crossover can affect the analog outs:

- it should always affect the multichannel analog outputs for speakers set to small
- it can affect the Stereo Outs if they are set to L/R rather that Stereo Downmix, and L/R is set to small; if you are using the Stereo Outs for L/R. But there is a bug I have encountered - Stereo Downmix gets internally reset - toggle the fronts to large, then back to small to re-enable the crossover or maybe toggle L/R and Stereo Downmix, I haven't tried that as a solution.

If your Apple TV is playing through the Stereo Outputs and they are set to Stereo Downmix, the crossover will have no affect since all channels including the sub channel are downmixed to stereo.

Stephen Powell
post #1548 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by foveus View Post

Hi all,
I am about to tackle installation of a new 105 which is replacing an 83. My cabinet is very unfriendly to deal with thus I'd like to get this right the first time. I also just bought a Mac Mini which I would like to use as media server/HTPC with the 105. If you don't mind I have a few questions before I get started:
1) Can I use the power cord from the 83 with the 105? I ask because it is already hooked up to the panamax conditioner and it would be much easier to leave it. I'm happy to switch it out if necessary but if they are both equal in performance then I will use the 83's cord into the 105.

The 105 is grounded (3 prong outlet). The 83 is not (2 prong). So no, you cannot use the 83 power cord.

Enjoy the 105. I am.
post #1549 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I ended up using the RCA's out,as that was my only other good choice, and it was unimpressive to both of us.(I never tried the optical as I figured it would be about the same).
I think I would be better suited to get a new Marantz 7007...

As far as the analog outs sounding the same as the optical. There's a fundamental misunderstanding going on here. The analog out sound should be defined by the Oppo converters which are very good and one of the primary reasons for choosing the 105. The optical output sound is defined only by the source material and whatever comes after the Oppo. In that configuration the Oppo is merely passing on a digital stream for some other device to make sound good with whatever DACs it has.

If the sound differences in these outputs are difficult to differentiate, then it is probably because the other components in the system cannot resolve them - or that possibly the room is too big a factor; I don't know what you have done to your garage - carpeted floor / wall treatments / furniture / etc - but if it is like my garage with bare floor, bare ceiling, bare walls, metal doors - the only way music sounds good in there is with me in my car, engine off, windows up with the car audio system on.

As far as the Marantz 7007 goes, for audio it is terrible as the amplifiers cannot hold up. It may be fine for movies and non-critical listening, but I had one briefly and it was just not good. Pick it up - it weighs less that a decent 1990s stereo amp. There's just nothing to it - and the sound reflects that. I don't know what your 7500 Marantz is like, but if it can really do 4 ohms and weighs more than 40 lbs, you should hang onto it or get ready to really be frustrated upgrading it. The 7007s and new breed of AV all-in-ones are only rated to 6ohms and believe me you will get no increase in real power out of them, in fact just the opposite.

Stephen Powell
post #1550 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

You bass manage at 300Hz?  

Kal,

I only worry about room correction for frequencies below 300Hz. That's based on years of research by Drs Toole and Olive where according to them anything higher and you are trying to correct the speakers and not the room. My speakers, Revel Concertas have a very flat frequency response.

Quote:
In general, if the speaker has been competently designed, it should probably be left alone at frequencies above about 300 to 500 Hz, whatever the room-curves look like. - Dr. Toole from his essay Science in the Service of Art

Quote:
Regarding your above question about the room correction to a loudspeaker like the Revel Salon that is known to have a smooth frequency response and directivity, yet the in-room measurements indicate a peak in the midrange from the room?

In cases like this, you have to ask yourself what caused the peak? Normally peaks associated with room resonances will not be visible above 300-400 Hz and at those frequencies the peak will vary from seat to seat.

Constructive/destruction interferences between the direct and reflected sounds can cause a peak in the midrange but normally this disappears and changes with microphone location. If you do 3-6 spatial-averages, the peak should disappear, and the need to equalize goes away.

If the peak survives spatial averaging then I suspect the problem is with the loudspeaker. If the loudspeaker has constant or smooth directivity you can equalize out the peak and improve the on and off-axis sound produced by the loudspeaker.

If you don't know the on/off-axis behavior of the loudspeaker, you risk improving the reflected sounds at the expense of the direct sound.

Finally, if you own Revel Salons, they don't need any equalization except below 300 Hz where the room dominates what you hear If you own good loudspeakers, you should focus on correcting the low frequency acoustical interactions between the loudspeaker and room. - Excerpt from Dr. Olive's Audio Musing blog on The Subjective and Objective Evaluation of Room Correction Products.

Cheers.

Tony
stevepow likes this.
post #1551 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM

@TKO1 ^^^^^

That probably explains my love/hate with Audyssey (and I don't have XT32) - I like some of what it does, but it creates some oddness in the higher frequencies and the graphic correction is more extreme than I would ever want to do manually. I'd have to get their pro-kit though to correct it - that or give up the dynamic EQ, which I do like - when I do my own graphics in Audyssey, it disables the dynamic EQ. The strange sounding Audyssey top-end is I think what keeps driving me back to straight analog and "pure" set on both the Oppo and my PrePro.
TKO1 likes this.

Stephen Powell
post #1552 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@TKO1 ^^^^^
That probably explains my love/hate with Audyssey (and I don't have XT32) - I like some of what it does, but it creates some oddness in the higher frequencies and the graphic correction is more extreme than I would ever want to do manually. I'd have to get their pro-kit though to correct it - that or give up the dynamic EQ, which I do like - when I do my own graphics in Audyssey, it disables the dynamic EQ. The strange sounding Audyssey top-end is I think what keeps driving me back to straight analog and "pure" set on both the Oppo and my PrePro.

That agrees with my experiences exactly. The highs with XT32 were significantly boosted with my Denon AVR4311.

Anthem's ARC allows you to configure the settings to not correct above a certain frequency which is why I preferred it to Audyssey XT32. Before that I used the Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System which did a very good job. Now the Paradigm PBK handles my Paradigm sub frequencies and I opted to leave my speakers untouched above 80Hz. Is it perfect, no. But there are only a few minor peaks and dips above 80Hz and nothing more than 2dB on either side so I have chosen to live with it.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1553 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Quote:

Cheers.
Tony

I'm not being negative Tony. Blatantly honest, yes.I just stated what my findings were, as other member's of this Forum,little as they my be, might be interested in the CD audio findings,more so than the "overall movie experience". I'm just not a movie buff,I race cars all summer and am the Union President for a large Corporation. Quite frankly, it keeps me so busy I don't really have much time for movies. Maybe someday when I retire I can find the time, right now I don't. But I thank you for your input, as I value the members on this forum as a resource that has taken many, many years to acquire.

Go to Walmart and get yourself a BD player with HDMI for under $200..

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #1554 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM

I'm getting only STEREO as the option to configure the OPPO USB DAC under Win7 64 Bit.

Can this player not "upconvert" (sorry for the poor terminology) stereo digital music files from my PC, to 7.1 Multichannel?

Thanks for any responses/help.
post #1555 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Dodo View Post

Got the 105 to replace my SCD-XA777ES and clutter[...]. Im curious and a little "afraid" as the Sony has always positively impressed me, not in the latest because I did not expect this level of performance from a Sony. For an OPPO the build is quite good, however the Sony is still winning in this department.

Had the very rare Sony CDP-R1 and DAS-R1 combination for Redbook. Sounded really good.

Had a Sony SCD-XA9000ES, modified by the sadly-now-retired Richard Kern. Superclock, Black Gate caps, etc. Sounded really good.

Had a modded Denon 3910 for DVDs and DVD-Audio. Sounded really good.

Got an Oppo 83SE just for Blu-ray. Sounded really good.

All of this was connected with a rat's nest of cables and two Zektors.

Started playing with the heretical idea of using the SE for DVDs. Worked great. Got rid of the Denon.

Upgraded to the Oppo 95. Sounded really really good.

Started playing with the even more heretical idea of using the Oppo for SACDs in addition to Blu-rays. Sounded really really good. Got rid of the XA9000ES.

Held onto the Sony pair for sentimental reasons, but realized we hadn't used it for ages, instead using the Oppo. Finally got rid of that, and the Zektors, and the cables.

Upgraded to the Oppo 105. Couldn't be happier.

The tray, yes, it was nicer in both of the Sonys, but read Oppo's FAQ about the tray. The externally visible tray is just there to hand the disc to the real tray, which is beefy.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #1556 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Kal,

I only worry about room correction for frequencies below 300Hz. That's based on years of research by Drs Toole and Olive where according to them anything higher and you are trying to correct the speakers and not the room. My speakers, Revel Concertas have a very flat frequency response.
Cheers.
Tony

Right.  But unless your Paradigm Sub is crossed over at 300Hz, the main speakers are all subject to the effects of room modes between 300Hz and whatever the selected bass management crossover is.  There's nothing I see in your quotes (or in what I have read) to indicate that one should avoid EQ in that range unless there has been effective physical management of room treatment.  

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1557 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Right.  But unless your Paradigm Sub is crossed over at 300Hz, the main speakers are all subject to the effects of room modes between 300Hz and whatever the selected bass management crossover is.  There's nothing I see in your quotes (or in what I have read) to indicate that one should avoid EQ in that range unless there has been effective physical management of room treatment.  

You are right and I mentioned that in a follow-up post. My sub is crossed over at 80Hz and I have chosen to live with the minor deviations in the frequency response between 80 and 300Hz since they weren't too bad, especially at the main listening position.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1558 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:

As far as the analog outs sounding the same as the optical. There's a fundamental misunderstanding going on here. The analog out sound should be defined by the Oppo converters which are very good and one of the primary reasons for choosing the 105. The optical output sound is defined only by the source material and whatever comes after the Oppo. In that configuration the Oppo is merely passing on a digital stream for some other device to make sound good with whatever DACs it has.
If the sound differences in these outputs are difficult to differentiate, then it is probably because the other components in the system cannot resolve them - or that possibly the room is too big a factor; I don't know what you have done to your garage - carpeted floor / wall treatments / furniture / etc - but if it is like my garage with bare floor, bare ceiling, bare walls, metal doors - the only way music sounds good in there is with me in my car, engine off, windows up with the car audio system on.
As far as the Marantz 7007 goes, for audio it is terrible as the amplifiers cannot hold up. It may be fine for movies and non-critical listening, but I had one briefly and it was just not good. Pick it up - it weighs less that a decent 1990s stereo amp. There's just nothing to it - and the sound reflects that. I don't know what your 7500 Marantz is like, but if it can really do 4 ohms and weighs more than 40 lbs, you should hang onto it or get ready to really be frustrated upgrading it. The 7007s and new breed of AV all-in-ones are only rated to 6ohms and believe me you will get no increase in real power out of them, in fact just the opposite.

Steve.
Thanks for saving me another disappointment. Considering that I really like my M&Ks, and they are 4 ohm,what would be my choices in upgrading. Please keep it simple as possible. Sounds like some kind of separates.And yes, my 7500 is rated for 4 ohms.I remember when I bought it,the salesman told me to take the Marantz over the Yamaha and Denon( that They sold) because of my M&Ks. Too bad I can't use my Hafler 500 sitting upstairs. It's rated 225 I believe.
I still believe I'm going to end up with a 103.........But with what, I'm not so sure
post #1559 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

Upgraded to the Oppo 105. Couldn't be happier.
The tray, yes, it was nicer in both of the Sonys, but read Oppo's FAQ about the tray. The externally visible tray is just there to hand the disc to the real tray, which is beefy.
Good to know there is a similar experience out there with a Sony from the hey day smile.gif I know about the "real" tray, still like the Sony's external build better though wink.gif

No answer for my .srt topic? frown.gif

Cheers,
Dodo
post #1560 of 11688 Old 12-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

A quick plug for Bill's BDP 103/105 Unofficial FAQ! He's been doing this since early BDP-83 (and maybe earlier) days. It's contains an incredible amount of useful information that will surely improve both the quality of your system and your ability to enjoy it. Read the manual? Sure. But most everything you really want to know is in Bill's FAQ!
Thank you Bill,
Styln

Thx Styln for sharing. Good tips on quick input selection etc. Did notice that he claims that GPT formatted drives work, which is not my experience. My 3tb drives do not do the USB trick. If anyone has different experiences it'd be good to read them.

Cheers,
Dodo
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page