15Likes

post #1801 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

Another thing, now that I have had the unit for a couple of weeks, the bass is increasing like crazy. It went from pretty anemic out of the box needing about DBs increase (+15 out of my Fathom F113 + 3db trim from the oppo) for music and movies. Now, for movies I had to take out the +3 DB trim altogether and for movies I am at +12DBs or less (depending on the movie, Prometheus required about +8 only). Music is about the same. Really remarkable break in. I experienced the same thing with the 95, but it took longer than 2 weeks.
Thanks!

Well that is encouraging.

I was beginning to get depressed about the Bass response I was getting.

How many hours would you say it took before you noticed this increase?

That said, I am still not happy about the Stereo Only (no subwoofer) capability from the USB DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleClef View Post

That said, I am still not happy about the Stereo Only (no subwoofer) capability from the USB DAC.

Let it burn in 150hrs and you should notice a nice bass increase with more refinement to come!
post #1803 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Let it burn in 150hrs and you should notice a nice bass increase with more refinement to come!

Sorry for the uninformed question ( I have LOTS of them (LOL)), but would just turning the unit on and letting it sit, count as hours in the burn-in period, or must it be actively playing or processing something?

Thanks.
post #1804 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

This doesn't apply when running stereo XLR outs to a processor that is doing bass management, correct?
post #1805 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

- SACD 5.1 Disc Loaded

What SACD are you using? Not that it should matter... ;-)

Does it work for all SACDs that are 5.1?

I have a few of them (e.g. Pink Floyd, Dire Straits) that I could exactly recreate the scenario.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1806 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Finally, if you want to try SACD DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, you should ONLY play the Stereo layer of your SACDs. There is no audio processing possible and so if you play the 5.1 layer the extra channels just get discarded. Now when doing this -- again because there is no audio processing -- the speakers are treated as Large (no Crossover). And so there will be NO SUBWOOFER OUTPUT. There's no LFE channel in the 2.0 layer of course, and there's no bass being steered to the Sub from the mains. The upshot is that you don't have to fiddle with the volume setting on the Sub because the Sub will be silent! Voila!
--Bob

Bob, when playing DSD direct to analog from 5.1 sources, do all the settings for speaker distance and trims remain in place? I ask this because you say that for DSD the speakers will be defaulted to Large. I have currently set up my speakers to small with -6DB trims to the xlrs fr/fl and I have adjusted the distances to match my room, but I am wondering if all of that is for naught?

Another thing, now that I have had the unit for a couple of weeks, the bass is increasing like crazy. It went from pretty anemic out of the box needing about DBs increase (+15 out of my Fathom F113 + 3db trim from the oppo) for music and movies. Now, for movies I had to take out the +3 DB trim altogether and for movies I am at +12DBs or less (depending on the movie, Prometheus required about +8 only). Music is about the same. Really remarkable break in. I experienced the same thing with the 95, but it took longer than 2 weeks.

Thanks!

When using DSD, the multi-channel Analog Speaker Configuration settings are left unchanged -- they are just ignored.

I suggest "Stay in Tune with PentaTone", SACD, tracks 43-48 for confirming volume trims with SACD Output PCM vs. SACD Output DSD. (NOTE: The Subwoofer test track, track 48, is about +4dB hot on that disc.) But Crossover processing, distance adjustments, and down-mix CAN NOT HAPPEN while using SACD DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. If you need those, then you should use SACD Output PCM instead.

Now if you are playing the stereo layer of an SACD, and don't care that the full frequency range will go to your main speakers (i.e., no bass steered to your sub), then you may very well find you can use SACD Output DSD -- i.e., try it and see if you like it.

Note that distance settings are less important for music playback since there are no visual cues to indicate that placement of sound BETWEEN speakers might not be an exact match to action on screen. Phase management for the Sub is also not an issue since there is no Crossover processing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1807 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

What SACD are you using? Not that it should matter... ;-)
Does it work for all SACDs that are 5.1?
I have a few of them (e.g. Pink Floyd, Dire Straits) that I could exactly recreate the scenario.
Cheers.
Tony

Thanks - I just tried it with Gaucho and Dark Side of the Moon - either of those in PCM playback and I cannot hear a switch in the x-over without toggling some other setting (speaker size, Downmix, etc.). I have not tried other SACDs, but I expect they behave the same.

Stephen Powell
post #1808 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

Sorry for the uninformed question ( I have LOTS of them (LOL)), but would just turning the unit on and letting it sit, count as hours in the burn-in period, or must it be actively playing or processing something?
Thanks.

just powering the unit on would count as idle time , you need actual play time load a dics and put in on repeat, volume doesn't matter as long as a signal is flowing through. good thing on the Oppo's all the outputs are active. I use a DTS setup disc I had around from a DTS a processor from back in the day, it has music as well as various sine wave sweeps along with pink noise!
post #1809 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

Thanks - I just tried it with Gaucho and Dark Side of the Moon - either of those in PCM playback and I cannot hear a switch in the x-over without toggling some other setting (speaker size, Downmix, etc.). I have not tried other SACDs, but I expect they behave the same.

I will use Dark Side of the Moon. Probably won't be able to test it this evening so will check it out in the morning.

Cheers.

Tony
post #1810 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what other player/DAC are you comparing the 105 to that makes you unsatisfied with its bass response?
stevepow likes this.

post #1811 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post

Thanks for all the replies-problem is here in Glasgow despite there being a variety of decent to excellent audio/visual dealers nobody stocks Oppo.......
You can have a listen to mine.I stay near Glasgow

Anthem D2v 3d Preamp & Arcam p777 power amp. oppo-103D .oppo 95: JVS DLA-X3 projector. Sub JL f113 fathem & 2 DIY SI HD 15 subs Dali Helicon 400 C200 phantom iw 200.Speakers cable talk excel 4.mark grant cables.
post #1812 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Out of curiosity, what other player/DAC are you comparing the 105 to that makes you unsatisfied with its bass response?

My previous configuration of an OPPO BDP 93 connected to my EMOTIVA UMC-1 processor gave significantly superior bass response tham the new OPPO BDP 105 running straight to my amps.

I am at this moment using the DSOTM SACD for testing: Superb bass response, but only if I crank the gain on the Sub to roughly 2.5x that in the previous configuration. An SRV DVD and a Return to Forever BluRay Master Audio, both lacked the bass "punch" and power I had in my previous configuration.

Also, as mentioned the lack of subwoofer (and to a lesser extent, full 7.1 multichannel) participation utilizing the USB DAC is a no go for me. The vast majority of my music is in digital computer format, and my system relies heavily on my SVS subwoofer for bass response. That is, my mains are full size Legacy in walls, quite capable of very substantial bass reproduction, but better to my ears, when they turn the majority of it over to my Sub (standard crossover at 80).

Caveat: This is all with limited testing so far, so I'm hoping this "burn-in" phenomenon is a very real happening for me.
post #1813 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:

My previous configuration of an OPPO BDP 93 connected to my EMOTIVA UMC-1 processor gave significantly superior bass response tham the new OPPO BDP 105 running straight to my amps.
I am currently using the DSOTM SACD for testing: SUperb bass response, but only if I crank the gain on the Sub to roughly 2.5 x that in the previous configuration. An SRV DVD and a Return to Forever BluRay Master Audio both lacked the bass "puch" and power i had in my previous configuration
Also, as mentioned the lack of subwoofer (and to a lesser extent, full 7.1 multichannel) participation utilizing the USB DAC is a no go for me. The vast majority of my music is in digital computer format and my system relies heavily on my SVS subwoofer for bass response. That is, my mains are full size Legacy in walls, quit capable of very substantial bass reproduction, but better to my ears when they turn the majority of it over to my Sub (standard crossover at 80).
THis is all with limited testing so far, so I'm hoping this "burn-in" phenomneon is a very real happening for me.

Again, this is only an issue if you are not using a pre/pro or AVR that is doing bass management, correct? Reason I'm asking is because I just ordered a 105 and plan to use the USB DAC's through the stereo XLRs to my AVM 50v. I can run my Paradigm 100's full range, but would rather employ ARC and the bass management when listening to the USB DAC's.
post #1814 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

This doesn't apply when running stereo XLR outs to a processor that is doing bass management, correct?

I don't know.

I wish someone more informed and knowledgable than I, would answer that.

Does the XLR output from the OPPO to the Processor control just Bass, just 2.1 output (2 Stereo mains and a Sub), or would it allow full 7.1 Multichannel via the Proc?

There is the thought on this Thread however, that putting a Proc in the chain of reproduction cancels out some of the benefits of the OPPO.
post #1815 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:

I don't know.
I wish someone more informed and knowledgable than I, would answer that.
Does the XLR output from the OPPO to the Processor control just Bass, just 2.1 output (2 Stereo mains and a Sub), or would it allow full 7.1 Multichannel via the Proc?
There is the thought on this Thread however, that putting a Proc in the chain of reproduction cancels out some of the benefits of the OPPO.

I think I've answered my own question... the OPPO must full bandwidth to the AVR/Processor regardless of the output used (digital/analog), as long as no other bass management functions are set in the OPPO. I got worried there for a minute.
post #1816 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM

I wanted to post a follow-up to my posts yesterday regarding the problems I was having using Foobar to push music to my OPPO. I spent some time today trying to figure out what the problem was. Everything appeared to be configured properly but I could not stream music. I speculated whether there was a problem with the UPnP plugin so I removed and reinstalled it. After reinstalling the plugin everything works perfectly. I am now able to stream lossless FLAC and 24/96 files to the OPPO with no problems. I'm guessing the original download of the UPnP.dll file was corrupt.
post #1817 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:

I think I've answered my own question... the OPPO must full bandwidth to the AVR/Processor regardless of the output used (digital/analog), as long as no other bass management functions are set in the OPPO. I got worried there for a minute.

I'm not sure what you mean by "full bandwith to the AVR". You mean turn everything over to your Proc?

Some here think that is not the best solution, "wasting" the full capabilities of the 105.

That said, it looks like the route I must also go, given my STRONG desire to continue to deploy my Sub in ALL music reproduction.
post #1818 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Again, this is only an issue if you are not using a pre/pro or AVR that is doing bass management, correct? Reason I'm asking is because I just ordered a 105 and plan to use the USB DAC's through the stereo XLRs to my AVM 50v. I can run my Paradigm 100's full range, but would rather employ ARC and the bass management when listening to the USB DAC's.

Why use the 105's USB DAC through stereo XLR to AVM 50v for ARC when you can connect it directly via HDMI? This way you would avoid an extra (and unnecessary) conversion step from analog back to digital. It would be D/A instead of A/D/A.

post #1819 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "full bandwith to the AVR". You mean turn everything over to your Proc?
Some here think that is not the best solution, "wasting" the full capabilities of the 105.
That said, it looks like the route I must also go, given my STRONG desire to continue to deploy my Sub in ALL music reproduction.

Correct! I hear what you're saying, but I think it depends on the processor. I'm not concerned about adding my AVM 50v to the equation and using it to manage the bass to the sub for 2 channel music, or running it Analog Direct and bypassing all processing for full range listening through my Studio 100s.
post #1820 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Correct! I hear what you're saying, but I think it depends on the processor. I'm not concerned about adding my AVM 50v to the equation and using it to manage the bass to the sub for 2 channel music, or running it Analog Direct and bypassing all processing for full range listening through my Studio 100s.

Right.

I think the guy(s) making that point qualified it with "depending on the Processor".

With gear in the rarefied air you are talking about, I suppose it isn't an issue.

With my more pedestrian deployment, it might be. But if it is the ONLY way to get my Sub and multichannel playback into the mix for digital PC-sourced music files, I'm going to insert my Emotiva back into the chain ANYWAY.
post #1821 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
jeff52 with foobar you should try the wasapi plug in.(make sure you apply it and restart foobar) After downloading go to file, preferences, on the right you will see playback, inside playback you will see dsp and output. Go into output. Once in there you will see device output with a dropdown box. Click the KS: (probably say oppo) box and not the DS option
This bypasses the windows audio mixer and also allows for automatic signal change in terms of bitrate.

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #1822 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Right.
I think the guy(s) making that point qualified it with "depending on the Processor".
With gear in the rarefied air you are talking about, I suppose it isn't an issue.
With my more pedestrian deployment, it might be. But if it is the ONLY way to get my Sub and multichannel playback into the mix for digital PC-sourced music files, I'm going to insert my Emotiva into the chain ANYWAY.

I don't think you'll give up much, if anything, with the EMO processor. I'm using an EMO XPA5 to power my system with no complaints, it's loud, dynamic and tight. I'll likely upgrade later on to an Anthem amp for that extra bit of refinement, but EMO makes some seriously good sounding stuff for the money. I had an opportunity to hear the new UMC 200 recently and it sounds REALLY good for a $600 pre/pro.
post #1823 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have a quick question. If i had a receiver hooked up, what would be the better digital conversion, " pcm out" having the oppo doing the decoding and sending pcm OR sending bitstream data to the receiver and having it do the decoding? Obviously the best bet but at the sacrifice of using room correction would be to have the oppo doing all the decoding and sending out analog. On the plus side doing it this way, you also get 130db snr! which is ridiculous and one of the few outstanding features of this player

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
post #1824 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I don't think you'll give up much, if anything, with the EMO processor. I'm using an EMO XPA5 to power my system with no complaints, it's loud, dynamic and tight. I'll likely upgrade later on to an Anthem amp for that extra bit of refinement, but EMO makes some seriously good sounding stuff for the money. I had an opportunity to hear the new UMC 200 recently and it sounds REALLY good for a $600 pre/pro.

Thanks for your opinion. Much appreciated.

Regarding the 2 XLR outputs from the OPPO: Do you connect those directly to the L and R Front Mains on your Proc? Is this the preferred output connector to use? My EMOTIVA does not have XLR connectors, so I suppose I would need an XLR to RCA cable? Given that there are only two XLR outputs, how is the Sub output relayed to the Processor?

Additionally, why wouldn't I just use HDMI?

Sorry for the Newb questions.
post #1825 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

i heard that if you read the specifications for anthem and then compare them to a brand like parasound, you can't help but wonder how they are still in business. I mean, that's what i heard. Something about how the specifications are no better than receiver specs. I've heard of a lot of companies with this status.

post #1826 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

jeff52 with foobar you should try the wasapi plug in.(make sure you apply it and restart foobar) After downloading go to file, preferences, on the right you will see playback, inside playback you will see dsp and output. Go into output. Once in there you will see device output with a dropdown box. Click the KS: (probably say oppo) box and not the DS option
This bypasses the windows audio mixer and also allows for automatic signal change in terms of bitrate.

Thanks for the info, I will investigate that but I have streaming profiles set up for the 105 to enable a max samplerate as 24/192. When I play files encoded at 16/44.1 Foobar shows that as the playback rate and when I play a file encoded at 24/96 Foobar shows 24/96 as the playback rate. Maybe I'm missing something, but things seem to be working fine without installing the other plugin.
post #1827 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

yes that's exactly how you want the setup on the oppo to be. Are you using a mac or windows OS

post #1828 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

I was just trying to help you when you weren't getting anything from the higher bitrate files. Seems like you found the problem. The reason wasapi is so nice is because it bypasses the windows mixer which alters the digital image. You don't want this with hd audio. That's the problem with computer audio, you use the computer and have jitter, you get rid of that and then you have the os mixer. Get rid of both and you have a signal as pure as can be.

post #1829 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

With the setup that you have, you should notice a big change.
Most sources alter the digital image when it comes to digital conversion to make it have their own taste which is what the windows mixer does. Without this you will get a more reference sound, assuming the oppo doesn't alter the digital image somehow.

post #1830 of 11256 Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Release date: December 28, 2012.
Category: Latest Public Beta Release
Main Version: BDP10X-38-1220B
Loader Version: 6U0900 or 7B0800 (BDP-103), 7B0800 (BDP-105)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105)

1. Resolved an issue where some SACD media were being incorrectly played as a standard CD audio disc. Customers have reported that their BDP-105 players would load a SACD and the resulting audio would be standard CD audio disc as confirmed by the front panel showing "CDDA" rather than "SACD" as the "Disc Type". This issue has been resolved.
2. Resolved an issue were the Roku Streaming Stick firmware would fail to upgrade correctly. Customers have reported that when the Roku Streaming Stick was connected to the HDMI/MHL IN port on the BDP-103/105, it could detect and download the new firmware but would not install it correctly. This would cause the Roku Streaming Stick to remain on the factory installed firmware. This issue has been resolved.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page