Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #181 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I received my BDP-105 yesterday, and thought I'd share a few impressions:

• It sounds terrific through the headphone out into Sennheiser 600s (haven't yet tried the Audeze LCD-2 I also own). Also, as I'd hoped but hadn't seen documented, the Oppo mutes other audio output when a headphone cable is included.
  • I tried running my TiVo Series 3 through the HDMI in. There was an audio lag, and I was unable to view live TV. I wonder if that's a result of copy protection from my cable provider.
  • The streaming interface is similar to that in the BDP-93. However, it's much faster, and the page up/down key now works for scrolling. Both of these features make it much more useable for large collections.
  • The Netflix interface is both updated and faster
lanping09 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Nah. They'll sell just fine. Look at the alternatives.
Besides, the potential market for the 105 is way bigger than the current installed base of 95 players.
Heck, there are all those 83SE owners. Not to mention those rare individuals out there who have never even heard of OPPO.
--Bob

I'm sure Oppo would say ""From your mouth to Gods ears" smile.gif...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
Just got mine in the mail last night and all i can say is wow! Having owned the 83 and the 93 this beast was a substantial step above. I have it hooked up hdmi for movies and sacd and via rca for cd to take advantage of the sabre dacs. I tested it last night with Bourne ultimatum and i thought the sound was punchier and more crisp through the 105 and as far as the sound quality for cd, well i put in the audio fidelity gold dylans greatest hits and it sounded incredibly clear and transparent. I am extremely happy.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #184 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney80 View Post

Just got mine in the mail last night and all i can say is wow! Having owned the 83 and the 93 this beast was a substantial step above. I have it hooked up hdmi for movies and sacd and via rca for cd to take advantage of the sabre dacs. I tested it last night with Bourne ultimatum and i thought the sound was punchier and more crisp through the 105 and as far as the sound quality for cd, well i put in the audio fidelity gold dylans greatest hits and it sounded incredibly clear and transparent. I am extremely happy.

Was Bourne connected with HDMI?
post #185 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsauvage View Post

I am the happy owner since its release of a BDP-83, then upgraded into 83SE. I eagerly consider the purchase of BDP-105 to add streaming capability lacking in 83SE (very limited file compatibility). But I'm really curious about the quality of stereo sound (through balanced XLR) compared to that of the 83SE, any comments?
As I look at some pretty upscale audio equipment and consider Lynn Akurate DS plugged into an external DAC like Berkeley Alpha DAC 2.
I wonder if using the oppo as a streamer connected to the Berkeley DAC would give the same sound quality as with the Lynn? (or whether the oppo by itself is soulding close enough?)
And can anybody comment on the audible difference between the 105 and the combination 103 + a very high quality DAC?
FYI I use Belcanto Prepro preamp, amp Belcanto evo6, speakers piega P4MKII, and Nordost red dawn cables in between.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

I should have my 105 this afternoon, I currently have a 103 and a decent outboard DAC (MSB) which I find to be better than the stock 103 (which I still think is good but not exactly my tastes). I will add my comments about the 105 and compare stock stereo RCA outputs vs my outboard DAC. Really hoping the 105 blows my old MSB DAC away so I can get rid of some equipment!
post #186 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

If you don't mind, what turned out to be the problem with the Split A/V setup? It may help other folks who run into similar problems.
--Bob

Bob,

I cannot be 100% sure but I believe it was the second HDMI out from the SSP-800 into the 2nd HDMI input into the JVC projector which I unplugged. I have not tried 3D yet! I then reconnected both HDMI cables as before took the Classe out of standby and it's worked exactly as required. No more hunting from the SSP-800 and it switches inputs normally again. I now understand why this is the preferred method of connecting the 105 for movie and music playback with a receiver or processor. It might be a psycho acoustic effect happening with me but it seems that the HD soundtracks on some discs have slightly better separation between all channels than with my older Panasonic BD-30. It is definitely more dynamic as I have a pretty good resolving system in an acoustically treated dedicated room so audio changes are easy to identify. So far the BDP-105 has really been impressive especially with it's audio side of the unit. Still evolving as I go thru my collection of discs to play thru it.
post #187 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just received my oddo 105. very impressive looking. Reminds me of my late Denon 3930ci. I will have to wait until the unit comes to room temp. before hooking up. I will do some comparisons between the 105 and 83 and post later. Congtrats to OPPO for another great unit. smile.gif

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #188 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donloz View Post

I just received my oddo 105. very impressive looking. Reminds me of my late Denon 3930ci. I will have to wait until the unit comes to room temp. before hooking up. I will do some comparisons between the 105 and 83 and post later. Congtrats to OPPO for another great unit. smile.gif

Thanks Donloz ... please post your opinions as soon as you're ready!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #189 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikmer View Post

I should have my 105 this afternoon, I currently have a 103 and a decent outboard DAC (MSB) which I find to be better than the stock 103 (which I still think is good but not exactly my tastes). I will add my comments about the 105 and compare stock stereo RCA outputs vs my outboard DAC. Really hoping the 105 blows my old MSB DAC away so I can get rid of some equipment!

Can't wait Hikmersmile.gif!

post #190 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

Nah. They'll sell just fine. Look at the alternatives. Besides, the potential market for the 105 is way bigger than the current installed base of 95 players. Heck, there are all those 83SE owners. Not to mention those rare individuals out there who have never even heard of OPPO. --Bob

Well that's one way to look at it, the question still remain how does it compare in terms of sound vs the BDP-95! It has to be a lot better for many people to upgrade to the 105! Personally, I could care less about the new features maybe except for the headphone amp and being able to use it as a DAC. But with the SSP-800 the DACs are quite good, plus it has a dual DSP 64 bits biggrin.gif

My humble Cinema
post #191 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is there a chance Oppo will add DSD input support for the HDMI inputs. Also wondering if anyone has their PC's HDMI conected to the Oppo's HDMI in. Any problems to report music/sound wise? Thanks,Eric
post #192 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by himey View Post

Is there a chance Oppo will add DSD input support for the HDMI inputs.
Unlikely, since the video processor does not support DSD.
post #193 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OPPO UK has just posted a technical note on connecting the BDP-105EU directly to power amps or active speakers:http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf Obviously this applies equally well to the BDP-105.--Bob

Cool is it the same with the BDP-95?

My humble Cinema
post #194 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

OPPO UK has just posted a technical note on connecting the BDP-105EU directly to power amps or active speakers:
http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/PDF/BDP-105EU%20Direct%20Power%20Amplifier%20Connection%20V2.pdf
Obviously this applies equally well to the BDP-105.
--Bob

Thank you very very much for the ref!

It starts off with:
"BDP-105EU is well suited to being directly connected to a power amp or active speakers. The players level (volume) control uses the dual Sabre32 DAC's which have patented 32 bit level control which is claimed to perform as well as all but the most advanced analogue volume controls."

Directly stating that OPPO's digital volume control is not as good...

...but close to that of "the most advanced analogue volume controls"

We're in rarefied air here at this point!! biggrin.gif

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #195 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Well that's one way to look at it, the question still remain how does it compare in terms of sound vs the BDP-95! It has to be a lot better for many people to upgrade to the 105! Personally, I could care less about the new features maybe except for the headphone amp and being able to use it as a DAC. But with the SSP-800 the DACs are quite good, plus it has a dual DSP 64 bits biggrin.gif

I am really starting to enjoy my combination of the BDP-105 and SSP-800! I was preparing to buy the 95 and hopefully get rid of my CD player. I am probabaly going to sell my Ayre CX-7e now as I am very satisfied with the Oppo 105 as a CD player using the analog outs into the SSP-800.The fact that I could use my same aftermarket power cord as the Ayre had used which helped identify the slightly sonic differences between them much easier. The Ayre is a bit more forward in it's soundstage.

8206740922_123be7a880.jpg
post #196 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I am really starting to enjoy my combination of the BDP-105 and SSP-800! I was preparing to buy the 95 and hopefully get rid of my CD player. I am probabaly going to sell my Ayre CX-7e now as I am very satisfied with the Oppo 105 as a CD player using the analog outs into the SSP-800.The fact that I could use the same aftermarket power cord as the Ayre had used helped narrow the sonic differences between them much easier to hear.
8206740922_123be7a880.jpg

Oppo DACS via Analog w/o Classe Room Correction > Oppo HDMI + Classe DACS + Classe Room Correction ?
post #197 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomin View Post

Oppo DACS via Analog w/o Classe Room Correction > Oppo HDMI + Classe DACS + Classe Room Correction ?

Please add: Oppo DACS via Analog w/o Classe Room Correction > Oppo HDMI + Classe DACS w/o EQ

My humble Cinema
post #198 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 42
I've been reading in another thread about an issue a fellow is having with his Oppo, where when playing cds and passing the feed through HDMI to his AVR, the first second or so of the song is not played. I found that odd since my 95 does not behave like this though I use the stereo analog output section, but here is his explanation: Post #288, 290.
Quote:
Many CDs, at least of mine, have enough of a gap at the beginning that it does not matter, but as I have a said a significant percentage do not, and the first few notes get cut off. I just happen to have listened to several in a row that get cut off and pinged Oppo again. It is due to the decoder (IP they purchase) and Oppo cannot fix it; they are very clearly as frustrated as I and conceded they have lost business over this. I was thinking of upgrading to a 103/105 but since it has this same issue, and the video is fine in my 83, I am looking at alternatives.

He says in another post that even the analog outputs are affected. I am puzzled about this as, like I mentioned, my 95 has been fine, though I remember my Emotiva ERC-1 doing this. Any thoughts?
post #199 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

I just received my oddo 105 smile.gif

In case you wondered why your CD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray keep falling out of the tray when you open it, well, it's because you've installed the OPPO upside down in your rack biggrin.gif
post #200 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I've been reading in another thread about an issue a fellow is having with his Oppo, where when playing cds and passing the feed through HDMI to his AVR, the first second or so of the song is not played. I found that odd since my 95 does not behave like this though I use the stereo analog output section, but here is his explanation: Post #288, 290.
He says in another post that even the analog outputs are affected. I am puzzled about this as, like I mentioned, my 95 has been fine, though I remember my Emotiva ERC-1 doing this. Any thoughts?

You may only lose a half note when using analog, but the truncation is always there.

When HDMI is connected, the truncations are longer as the HDMI handshakes can take several seconds to stabilize, and anytime the handshake is occurring there is the possibility that the decoder will also stop outputting from the analog outputs.

Whenever possible, remove the HDMI cable when you are using analog for audio listening.
post #201 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
The Perils of Pauline's Blu-ray Player! -- Episode 1: "Secrets Reviewed!"

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/universal-players/universal-players-reviews/oppo-bdp-105-universal-player.html

Do you like a good, cliff-hanger serial? Sure! Who doesn't!

Secrets of Home Theater has decided to publish their new review of the BDP-105 in INSTALLMENTS! biggrin.gif

The start of the review is up now. Stay tuned for each new, exciting episode!
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #202 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm on my sixth day using my 105 and I've been very pleased with its performance. I've run a lot of disc media through it and its done a stellar job. This is my third Oppo after the 980H and 83 and a steady stream of Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and DVD players over the years. The 105 is at the top of the heap except for one thing which I don't know whether can be rectified or not.

Using the headphone amp with my beloved LCD-2 and beloved Sennheiser 800 headphones I just can't get the volume to the level that I want for Blu-ray movies. I'm at 100 on the volume meter and I need more volume. Redbook CDs play loud enough (which I have at about an 85 volume), but I just want to turn on my TV and then plug into the 105 for some late night movie viewing and I'm found wanting. I know that my headphones are hard to drive, but is there any work-around or solution for me so that I can gain about 10 or 15 "clicks" on the volume meter?

(I'm not asking for much--just a 10% increase on the headphone volume smile.gif )

Thanks for any thoughts or solutions.
post #203 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikmer View Post

Very much looking forward to your comments!
post #204 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post

I'm on my sixth day using my 105 and I've been very pleased with its performance. I've run a lot of disc media through it and its done a stellar job. This is my third Oppo after the 980H and 83 and a steady stream of Blu-ray, HD-DVD, and DVD players over the years. The 105 is at the top of the heap except for one thing which I don't know whether can be rectified or not.

Using the headphone amp with my beloved LCD-2 and beloved Sennheiser 800 headphones I just can't get the volume to the level that I want for Blu-ray movies. I'm at 100 on the volume meter and I need more volume. Redbook CDs play loud enough (which I have at about an 85 volume), but I just want to turn on my TV and then plug into the 105 for some late night movie viewing and I'm found wanting. I know that my headphones are hard to drive, but is there any work-around or solution for me so that I can gain about 10 or 15 "clicks" on the volume meter?

(I'm not asking for much--just a 10% increase on the headphone volume smile.gif )

Thanks for any thoughts or solutions.

This is almost certainly due to the attenuation arising from the down-mix of multi-channel movie audio to stereo for the Headphone output. Try selecting a Stereo audio track option from the movie disc if available.

Also, send OPPO an email. It may be possible they can adjust or even remove the attenuation due to the down mix since they audio signal path is entirely contained within the player -- i.e., no risk of clipping the input on a pre-amp.
--Bob

post #205 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesC View Post

In case you wondered why your CD's, DVD's and Blu-Ray keep falling out of the tray when you open it, well, it's because you've installed the OPPO upside down in your rack biggrin.gif
I installed my oddo the same way eek.gif,,,,is this not correct??? smile.gif

Every day above ground is a good day.
post #206 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvesC View Post

I installed my oddo the same way eek.gif,,,,is this not correct??? smile.gif

Good grief no! When you put your coffee cup in the cup holder (tray extended) all the coffee will leak out!

(I'm presuming, of course, that you don't have one of the new, BDP-105AU, Australian units.)
--Bob

post #207 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

You may only lose a half note when using analog, but the truncation is always there.
When HDMI is connected, the truncations are longer as the HDMI handshakes can take several seconds to stabilize, and anytime the handshake is occurring there is the possibility that the decoder will also stop outputting from the analog outputs.
Whenever possible, remove the HDMI cable when you are using analog for audio listening.
OK, I want to make sure I understand this, since I am considering the 103 and 105 (I never had an Oppo before). If I want to play my store-bought CD of Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road, where many tracks run into each other without a gap, using the 2-channel analog audio outs, there will be a gap in the music and loss of a note at the beginning of each track? Is this true for both the 105 and 103?
post #208 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

OK, I want to make sure I understand this, since I am considering the 103 and 105 (I never had an Oppo before). If I want to play my store-bought CD of Dark Side of the Moon or Abbey Road, where many tracks run into each other without a gap, using the 2-channel analog audio outs, there will be a gap in the music and loss of a note at the beginning of each track? Is this true for both the 105 and 103?
No.

He's talking about the brief muting that happens during the HDMI handshake when the digital audio stream commences at the start of the disc. Note that if you Track Back to restart the first track, it won't happen at that point because the digital audio stream is already established. This is all tied up with the complexity of the HDMI handshake, so anything that causes HDMI retries makes it more likely you'll encounter this -- i.e., HDMI cabling issues or issues in your AVR/Display responding to the handshake.

I.e., whatever you do to improve your HDMI performance (reduce retries) will also help eliminate this issue on music discs that start the first track instantly at time code 0. Consider setting HDMI Audio OFF if using Analog output.
--Bob
Asterus likes this.

post #209 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Its the first track, or the first instance of the player playing the disc, you will hear a truncation. All subsequent tracks will have no truncations unless the source changes (like on a DVD or Blu-ray where the previews and menus are stereo, but the main film is 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby Digital/DTS).

So to repeat: There will be no truncation between tracks.
post #210 of 11587 Old 11-21-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some Kind Words on the BDP-105 from Dan Wright's Blog at ModWright.com
http://www.modwright.com/blog/post.php?s=2012-11-18-new-mods-oppo-bdp103-and-bdp105
--Bob

Preliminary Tube Mod from Dan Modwright for the 105 ...

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page