gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

*Edit* This may not be possible but I will ask anyway. I'll be getting an over the air antenna from monoprice to use direct to my tv because I don't have cable. Is there any way that I can run the over the air signal from the antenna to the oppo to take advantage of the excellent video processing? I'm not sure if that's even possible by I'd be tickled if I could get OTA and be able to improve upon its quality.
The only way to do this is to use a HDTV over the air set top box of some sort - there are some out there (Channel Master makes a few) that you can find with a Google search.
Quote:
I'm trying to find a coax to hdmi adapter but I'm not certain that it's a real thing!
The adapter would be the set top box wink.gif. There's no such thing as a coax antenna to HDMI adapter cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

I have been lead to believe that they are the same, one just costs over twice as much and has a nicer looking PCB layout with a second Sabre DAC.
The BDP-103 doesn't have any SABRE DAC's. The BDP-105 has a higher end power supply for the analog section. The other feature differences are that the BDP-105 has a headphone jack, Asynchronous USB DAC input, optical and coaxial digital inputs, and there's an optional rack mount kit available.
Quote:
They really need to spend some time on their marketing approach and their presentation of information on their website. It's incredibly misleading and confusing. Do they expect everyone to RTFM before committing to buying the product?
If you're confused by the info on the website, reading the manual is never a bad idea. There are also the options of sending them an email, giving them a call, or asking questions here.
post #2163 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Jim for the reply.
If i am understanding correctly. The marantz sr5006 can receive the oppo 105 analog out and pass it through without hitting the sr5006 avr's dac. But it is a pass thru but not a true bypass. So i will receive much of the benefit of the oppo 105 analog music untouched by the sr5006 dac. In pure direct mode it will be in 2 channel only. I am assuming this is how it works in most of these avr with audessey. The design being that the 7.1 avr inputs are just for that purpose of receiving a better external dac processed signal with the avr just working as a pass thru.
post #2164 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The BDP-103 doesn't have any SABRE DAC's. The BDP-105 has a higher end power supply for the analog section. The other feature differences are that the BDP-105 has a headphone jack, Asynchronous USB DAC input, optical and coaxial digital inputs, and there's an optional rack mount kit available. If you're confused by the info on the website, reading the manual is never a bad idea. There are also the options of sending them an email, giving them a call, or asking questions here.

I'm thinking some here are still confused about when the DAC in the Oppo does or does not come into play. I know I was confused, and with the reply above about related DACs the players have, it could be irrelevant in at least one case.

Let's say you are:

1) NOT going to use USB input, or Analog/Coax/Digital out interconnects, nor using headphones features of the BDP-105 player; and
2) Utilizing HDMI output in either the 103 or 105 players...
Then, it seems like the 103 player might be a better option in this situation.

Question:
Doen't that render the DAC in either 103 or 105 player to be irrelevant since it defaults to your preamp/processor anyhow; i.e. no matter what kind of DAC or beefy power supply the Oppo players has inside - what am I missing here?
post #2165 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Gill, it's impossible for the cable to send a pixel value which will make the display produce a blacker black than what it always does when it receives a "black" pixel. A black pixel is just a certain numeric value and the physical limitations of the display control how little light gets output for each "black" pixel.
This means if you were seeing better picture results for the new cable -- "blacker blacks" in particular -- then the old cable MUST have been screwing up.
Now, bit-drop errors are certainly possible in an HDMI run -- particularly a long one. I.e., the handshake can complete without problem, but the video is still corrupt. However, there is a vanishingly small chance that the error will always be in the low order bit or 2. Bit drop errors in pixel values will be dispersed across all the bits in the value.
And that means that video corruption is always easy to spot if you look for it. It is not subtle.
The classic symptom is "the sparklies" -- widely scattered pixels of obviously the wrong brightness or color, flickering in and out of visibility. These are most easily spotted in black or near black portions of a scene, but actually exist across the entire image.
It may very well be that your old cable had a failure like this -- perhaps not when you first installed it, but one that developed over time due to lead corrosion, or whatever. If you didn't get right up to the screen looking for problems, you might easily have missed it when they showed up and just got used to the corrupted imaging as "normal". But if you are seeing an obvious video improvement with the new cable, then the old cable ABSOLUTELY MUST have been producing video corruption, which would be obvious if you went to look for it.
--Bob

Let me preface the following by stating that we have only the highest regard for your observations. We’ve learned from you and shared info for several years here on AVS. In particular we remember when we all thought the PQ on the 93/95 was a hair better than on the 83 on Blu-rays which supposedly isn’t possible.

Our observations about the difference we saw with a standard 50’ HDMI Monoprice cable and the 50’ RedMere are these. The blacks were blacker and everything had more of a wow factor with the RedMere meaning sharper with color more “film” like. Since my partner is a video “nut” (I’m the audio “nut”) he constantly is evaluating the PQ through our projector down to the pixel level. Therefore, we think he would have seen “sparklies” but maybe not.

However, with your observations and those of VRDnhors (post #2144) offered earlier let’s get the exact setup of the cables laid out so to speak. During the evaluation the original cable was laid behind a cabinet with A/V gear and then next to one with audio gear following the wall/floor boundary including behind a stack of power line conditioners and across a stairwell to the projector. The RedMere was laid across the middle of the living room floor on a carpet from the Integra A/V receiver.

As was pointed out by VRDnhorms the position of the wires were different. As both of you pointed out the solder joints could be bad or have deteriorated leading to a weakened signal. However, with our limited understanding of the transmission of digital (as opposed to analog) data you either get it or you don’t at the receiving end.

However, from your description it looks like it must come down to some type of “video corruption” at work. We guess we’ll never really know as we took out the old cable and replaced it with the new cable in the same run. So, we’ll just have to live with the better PQ whatever the reason. As usual it all comes down to “enjoying the video” (or music).

Under “clear and it might hit 30 tonight!” Seattle skies, Gill

P.S.: Thank you David (dmusoke) & jimshowalter for your later postings helping to educate.
post #2166 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post

Question:
Doen't that render the DAC in either 103 or 105 player to be irrelevant since it defaults to your preamp/processor anyhow; i.e. no matter what kind of DAC or beefy power supply the Oppo players has inside - what am I missing here?

Yes, using HDMI will bypass the DAC chips in each player.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #2167 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 27
Got my "AIX Records - Blu-Ray Audio Calibration Disc and HD Music Sampler" finally. Good news is that my seat of the pants calibration was pretty close. Bad news...

DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Channel ID Track will not play over analog outs nor HDMI Bitstream. In Bitstream the Marantz 7701 sees it as DTS-HD Master and shows that in the display, but no sound at all. If I set the Oppo to LPCM, I get sound. On my other setup with a basic Panasonic player and Denon 3808CI, I get no sound over HDMI either and have to set the Panasonic to PCM over HDMI. All of these units claim to support DTS-HD Master.

What's the catch with DTS-HD Master? Is it that I only have a 5.1 setup so it won't play a 7.1 stream or...?

Thanks,

Steve

BTW, well worth getting this Blu-Ray disc for setup.

Stephen Powell
post #2168 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

Got my "AIX Records - Blu-Ray Audio Calibration Disc and HD Music Sampler" finally. Good news is that my seat of the pants calibration was pretty close. Bad news...
DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 Channel ID Track will not play over analog outs nor HDMI Bitstream. In Bitstream the Marantz 7701 sees it as DTS-HD Master and shows that in the display, but no sound at all. If I set the Oppo to LPCM, I get sound. On my other setup with a basic Panasonic player and Denon 3808CI, I get no sound over HDMI either and have to set the Panasonic to PCM over HDMI. All of these units claim to support DTS-HD Master.
What's the catch with DTS-HD Master? Is it that I only have a 5.1 setup so it won't play a 7.1 stream or...?
Thanks,
Steve

It sounds like the disc is the culprit since you say you get sound when the Oppo and Panasonic are set to L-PCM/PCM.
post #2169 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, there's actually NOTHING WRONG here. If you play that Bitstream and crank up the volume on your Marantz you will hear it playing.

What's going on is that this specific track has special authoring which lowers the volume dramatically if it is being decoded for 5.1 playback.

You see, DTS-HD MA has special rules that apply when a 7.1 track is decoded for 5.1, and the AIX folks -- since they were making a calibration track -- wanted to make sure people weren't using it as a 7.1 calibration when in fact the 5.1 special rules were in effect. So they hacked the authoring to attenuate the volume for the 5.1 decode.

Your Marantz is doing a 5.1 decode for your 5.1 speakers.

Meanwhile, when you use the OPPO to do the decoding the OPPO sees that the Marantz can accept 7.1 input so it does a 7.1 decode and sends 7.1 LPCM -- which your Marantz then down-mixes to 5.1 output for your speakers. But the critical DTS-HD MA decoding stage is happening at 7.1 so the AIX authoring hack doesn't kick in.

If you want to check 2.0, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 DTS-HD MA Bitstreams for basic functionality and calibration in your 5.1 speaker system, I recommend you use the audio test tracks from Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, calibration disc. Note these are a bit odd themselves in that the Subwoofer test is a separate test from the track that tests the other speakers.
--Bob
stevepow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2170 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM

I have a 7.1 Denon AVR-2808 and Planning on getting the 105,should I connected via analogue or HDMI to produce a better AQ cuz I've been told that 105 has a better DAC then my AVR so it will enhance the AQ if connected via analogue,but it won'r happen with HDMI cuz the processor in the AVR will do all the work.
So what is best given my AVR,Should I go for 105 and connected via analogue or 103 and connected via HDMI,if there won't be any difference in AQ.
Thought's please.
post #2171 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

True, but the poster was suggesting external EMI as a possible cause of noise polulution inside the HDMI cable and my response to him was that this particular noise is cancelled out easily, hence not a contributor to errors with the signal.

Yes, sorry, didn't catch that the first time. The whole point of running all of the channels differential is so CMR can clean it up, so yes, external EMI won't screw up the signal.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2172 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacustrader View Post

Thanks Jim for the reply.
If i am understanding correctly. The marantz sr5006 can receive the oppo 105 analog out and pass it through without hitting the sr5006 avr's dac. But it is a pass thru but not a true bypass. So i will receive much of the benefit of the oppo 105 analog music untouched by the sr5006 dac. In pure direct mode it will be in 2 channel only. I am assuming this is how it works in most of these avr with audessey. The design being that the 7.1 avr inputs are just for that purpose of receiving a better external dac processed signal with the avr just working as a pass thru.

I'm not qualified to answer. It seems murky from Marantz's manual and website. They seem to be saying that it shuts off Audessey, but does it run the signal through any kind of active components? If so, not a true bypass.

Your best hope is that someone answers your question you posted on the Marantz AVS thread.

post #2173 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

However, with our limited understanding of the transmission of digital (as opposed to analog) data you either get it or you don’t at the receiving end.

It's a bit more nuanced than that, because with video pixels over HDMI, you can get *some* of it but not all of it (you don't necessarily get a completely blank screen, just some dropouts). If the dropouts don't present as sparkles (and that's just a hypothesis), it's possible they could go undetected until using a cable where you get all of the signal.

post #2174 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

I have a 7.1 Denon AVR-2808 and Planning on getting the 105,should I connected via analogue or HDMI to produce a better AQ cuz I've been told that 105 has a better DAC then my AVR so it will enhance the AQ if connected via analogue,but it won'r happen with HDMI cuz the processor in the AVR will do all the work.
So what is best given my AVR,Should I go for 105 and connected via analogue or 103 and connected via HDMI,if there won't be any difference in AQ.
Thought's please.

The decision tree goes something like this:

if your receiver has better DACs than the Oppo, send HDMI to the receiver, in which case don't bother with the 105 unless you want some of the other features it has over the 103

*but*

most receivers don't have DACs as good as the Oppo and/or don't have an analog section after the DACs as good as the Oppo, so in that case get the 105

*unless*

your receiver doesn't have a true bypass

*in which case*

it might run the analog inputs through one or more active components, which is bad or,

*worse*

it might actually convert the analog inputs back to D and then to A again, which is really bad

post #2175 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^^ Such cable-induced video corruption failures can not be subtle or stealth failures, although it is still possible of course to fool yourself into believing nothing is wrong when actually a lot is wrong.

You will get the same number of pixels in the same locations. All that can go wrong is the individual pixel values, and there is no believable cable failure scenario which causes ONLY low order bits to be corrupted. So the incorrect pixels -- the sparklies -- WILL be readily visible if you just know to look for them because a significant number of pixels WILL exhibit time-varying, higher order bit errors.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #2176 of 11522 Old 01-01-2013, 11:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Yes, using HDMI will bypass the DAC chips in each player.

Jeff / Perpendicular,
Tonight I was reading a 2012 Home Theater Review awards article about the BDP-103 from earlier this year and just realized something. If I wanted to completely bypass my Integra DHC 40.1 preamp all together (effectively eliminate it), and just use the Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 for BluRay with all 5.1 RCA analog channels out direct to each of my amplifier(s) analog inputs, I could then make full use of the internal DAC in the Oppo player instead, thus using it like a preamp with volume control and all? (If the Oppo players will actually work like a preamp with volume and all, its another option I had not considered trying). I was thinking all along about two channel audio, but in reverse, I could do 5.1 direct to my amps as well. If so, that's another interesting option and I wonder if it would sound better removing one additional layer out of the chain. I recall you saying you had tried direct-attach for stereo, but had not asked if you had tried the same with 5.1 direct-to-amp inputs for home theater surround. Hmmm...

Quote: from HTR article -
Re: BDP-103 "Mate it directly to a multi-channel amp and watch as the 103 kicks your AV preamp to the curb, serving as the quintessential centerpiece", unquote.

Update;
Just found an interesting conversation going on over at Stereophile tonight where another guy is asking the same questions I am now about wanting to potentially elminate his primary preamp-processor completely and just use the Oppo as a BDP/DAC/Preamp control center. Theoretically, since I just watch digital capble TV and run Blu Rays through my existing pre-pro, and the new Oppo units allow both HDMI and USB inputs, I could effectively eliminate my existing pre-pro if I wanted to. Ugh, there I said it again. The comment they made on the other site is "So, beyond its universal disc playing capability of the Oppo,, it really can function like a DAC that has digital inputs and a volume control. It has analog stereo output but no facility to handle subwoofer output in a 2.1 configuration as I can see". I don't run a subwoofer for my high end two channel setup, so that is the only thing that would be missing that I can find so far. In theory it all seems good, but would have to try it and see if I could totally elminate my existing pre-pro unit. Can't think of any other reason I could not elminate it all together if the Oppo truly does all of this well. It's like a modern day integrated preamp invented all over again with a Blu Ray and DAC inside of it. Very clever. hmmm. eek.gif
post #2177 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

The decision tree goes something like this:
if your receiver has better DACs than the Oppo, send HDMI to the receiver, in which case don't bother with the 105 unless you want some of the other features it has over the 103
*but*
most receivers don't have DACs as good as the Oppo and/or don't have an analog section after the DACs as good as the Oppo, so in that case get the 105
*unless*
your receiver doesn't have a true bypass
*in which case*
it might run the analog inputs through one or more active components, which is bad or,
*worse*
it might actually convert the analog inputs back to D and then to A again, which is really bad

So what should I do?
Go with 105 hook it up via analogue and hope it work's if not connected via HDMI,and lose 700$ cuz it would be cheaper if I got the 103.
My receiver has both analogue and HDMI but I don't know which device has the better DAC.my receiver or the player .
In any case I'll only be using it to play blu-ray movie's only,no DVD's,CD's,music or file's on USB's................. ext.
Here's a rear picture of the AVR. rearlrg.jpg 401k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearlrg.jpg (400.7 KB, 28 views)
post #2178 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Steve, there's actually NOTHING WRONG here. If you play that Bitstream and crank up the volume on your Marantz you will hear it playing.
What's going on is that this specific track has special authoring which lowers the volume dramatically if it is being decoded for 5.1 playback.
You see, DTS-HD MA has special rules that apply when a 7.1 track is decoded for 5.1, and the AIX folks -- since they were making a calibration track -- wanted to make sure people weren't using it as a 7.1 calibration when in fact the 5.1 special rules were in effect. So they hacked the authoring to attenuate the volume for the 5.1 decode.
Your Marantz is doing a 5.1 decode for your 5.1 speakers.
Meanwhile, when you use the OPPO to do the decoding the OPPO sees that the Marantz can accept 7.1 input so it does a 7.1 decode and sends 7.1 LPCM -- which your Marantz then down-mixes to 5.1 output for your speakers. But the critical DTS-HD MA decoding stage is happening at 7.1 so the AIX authoring hack doesn't kick in.
If you want to check 2.0, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 DTS-HD MA Bitstreams for basic functionality and calibration in your 5.1 speaker system, I recommend you use the audio test tracks from Disney's "WOW World of Wonder", Blu-ray, calibration disc. Note these are a bit odd themselves in that the Subwoofer test is a separate test from the track that tests the other speakers.
--Bob

wow - thanks - yes, it is severely attenuated to the point of being almost inaudible - strange.

Stephen Powell
post #2179 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

Thanks. I'd rather not go directly from the Oppo to the Display. My wife thinks it's bad enough she has to select a source on the Pre/Pro, she would never stand for having to switch inputs on the Display as well! So for me, it's best to have everything go through the Marantz 8801 Pre/Pro and just have one HDMI connection from that to the Display.
I will make sure to keep my CD input on Pure Direct mode so I am getting the cleanest audio possible from the Mac Mini (which has a lot of 24/96 files) to the USB DAC of the 105, to the Dedicated Stereo outs of the 105, in to the Marantz' CD input.
The only thing I really miss when I play stereo music out of my Mac Mini though an external USB DAC (in the case the 105) is the lack of subwoofer output for deep satisfying bass. My speakers are full range, but can't produce what a sub can. Would the REL R-328 be a good solution for that?
[LIST][LIST][*][*] I can understand my wife has her own setup to avoid such things :)[*][*] For usb have you tried the 8801 its no slouch plus the added benefit of Audyssey if you so choose, if not set the lfe+main option under the sub option and digitize the mini mac you may be surprised at how well the 8801 handles this as I'm finding out myself its no slouch and its giving me some fine musical options;)[*][*] As for subs I cant speak well enough of my new Ken Kreisel DXD12012 sub its very very fast, accurate and extremely musical and slams when called for if that's your thing , but I see your considering a Rel which says accurate bass all day in my book.[code]
  • I can understand my wife has her own setup to avoid such things smile.gif
  • For usb have you tried the 8801 its no slouch plus the added benefit of Audyssey if you so choose, if not set the lfe+main option under the sub option and digitize the mini mac you may be surprised at how well the 8801 handles this as I'm finding out myself its no slouch and its giving me some fine musical options;)
  • As for subs I cant speak well enough of my new Ken Kreisel DXD12012 sub its very very fast, accurate and extremely musical and slams when called for if that's your thing , but I see your considering a Rel which says accurate bass all day in my book.
post #2180 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:

So what should I do?
Go with 105 hook it up via analogue and hope it work's if not connected via HDMI,and lose 700$ cuz it would be cheaper if I got the 103.
My receiver has both analogue and HDMI but I don't know which device has the better DAC.my receiver or the player .
In any case I'll only be using it to play blu-ray movie's only,no DVD's,CD's,music or file's on USB's................. ext.
Here's a rear picture of the AVR. rearlrg.jpg 401k .jpg file

Tough call. I have Marantz and Denon equipment and the Oppo has better DACs to my ears and it is easy to hear the difference when listening - I think anyone could pick up on it. So it comes down to how picky you are about the sound. The 105 will work if you hook it up analog - no reason to hope - and you can connect it both analog and HDMI to compare the DACs for yourself - you'd normally have 30 days to decide if it is worth the extra $$$ or not.

Stephen Powell
post #2181 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:

Tough call. I have Marantz and Denon equipment and the Oppo has better DACs to my ears and it is easy to hear the difference when listening - I think anyone could pick up on it. So it comes down to how picky you are about the sound. The 105 will work if you hook it up analog - no reason to hope - and you can connect it both analog and HDMI to compare the DACs for yourself - you'd normally have 30 days to decide if it is worth the extra $$$ or not.

I'm from Kuwait and there's no oppo dealer in my country so I have to order it online,that why the forum's is my only reference.
So what provide's better Sound HDMI or analogue?
post #2182 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 AM

Liked: 10
POTENTIAL MAJOR OPPO 105 ERROR/ FAULT

Hi all,
Sorry for the shouty heading but didn't know how to add a new post properly.

After weeks of anticipation and three years on a $100 Kogan bpd my 105AU (australia) arrived today. All afternoon I've been loving the massive sound stage and tight bass and all the other goodness, but not 10 minutes ago I sat to watch an episode of Breaking Bad when my heart broke a little instead.

This is what happened:
- I was watching the blu ray and pressed the Netflix button by mistake.
- It searched for a while and couldn't find a network connection (don't yet have one).
- It then froze on the Neflix red screen
- I powered off from from the remote.

NOW:
- Pressing power or the open (eject) button results in the player's buttons lighting up blue but nothing else happens.
- I can power the device off with power button on the remote but nothing else happens.
- No other button on the player or the remote has any effect.

I have the pro-region kit (installed by my supplier) and have the latest firmware upgrade (though can't find the number right now).

Any ideas on diagnosis and cure?? I thought I could try a hard reset but couldn't find instructions for such a thing.

Thanks in advance from Melbourne.
post #2183 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I'm from Kuwait and there's no oppo dealer in my country so I have to order it online,that why the forum's is my only reference.
There is no simple yes or no answer to your question.

In absolute terms the analog audio of the 105 is probably best (the analog outs of the 103 are very good but not in the same league as the 105) but there are factors that would change the decision:

1. If you are using a pre/pro or receiver that has room correction capabilities and your experience with those is positive, HDMI should be your choice because use of analog audio will either bypass such processing or (for some electronics) result in the analog signal being reconverted to digital and then reprocessed by the receiver or pre/pro to apply room correction. Such reconversion may not have positive effects on the absolute sound quality, If HDMI is your choice, only buy the 103.
2. If your receiver or pre/pro does not have analog audio connections at all, then the analog outs on the Oppo are meaningless
3. If you have really high quality existing electronics that have fabulous DACs, the 105 may buy you nothing
4. (Not likely but possible) You have really crappy speakers and you would hear no improvements from any of the Oppos

post #2184 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

I'm thinking some here are still confused about when the DAC in the Oppo does or does not come into play. I know I was confused, and with the reply above about related DACs the players have, it could be irrelevant in at least one case.

Let's say you are:

1) NOT going to use USB input, or Analog/Coax/Digital out interconnects, nor using headphones features of the BDP-105 player; and

Question:

You are correct on all points. We do tell this to people every day here.

If you are using HDMI for audio and don't need the extra inputs or headphone output: the BDP-103 is the player for you.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2185 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:

Thanks,

Steve

The author of that disc provided an explanation of the test's behavior which is reproduced in the BDP-83 FAQ: Why am I not getting sound when using the AIX Records DTS-MA 7.1 Channel Identification test?

-Bill
stevepow likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2186 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 05:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Let's say you are:
Question:
If one is only using the digital outputs (which includes HDMI), there's absolutely no point in even considering the 105. The WHOLE point of the 105 is improved analog outputs and additional features that really only make sense when analog outputs are being used (the extra digital inputs and the headphone output).
post #2187 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

As stated numerous times before, there's no clear-cut answer to whether HDMI or analog is better as it depends entirely on what's at the other end of the cable(s). In your case, you mentioned that you've found that Audyssey makes a pretty big improvement in the sound - that means you would want to use HDMI instead of analog. You also have a mix of 2 different brands of speakers. My advice, as I stated before, is to get a BDP-103 and put the extra money into upgrading your speakers so at least the front three speakers are all from the same brand and intended to be used together. IMO, that's a much better way to spend the extra $700.
post #2188 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

There is no simple yes or no answer to your question.
In absolute terms the analog audio of the 105 is probably best (the analog outs of the 103 are very good but not in the same league as the 105) but there are factors that would change the decision:
1. If you are using a pre/pro or receiver that has room correction capabilities and your experience with those is positive, HDMI should be your choice because use of analog audio will either bypass such processing or (for some electronics) result in the analog signal being reconverted to digital and then reprocessed by the receiver or pre/pro to apply room correction. Such reconversion may not have positive effects on the absolute sound quality, If HDMI is your choice, only buy the 103.
2. If your receiver or pre/pro does not have analog audio connections at all, then the analog outs on the Oppo are meaningless
3. If you have really high quality existing electronics that have fabulous DACs, the 105 may buy you nothing
4. (Not likely but possible) You have really crappy speakers and you would hear no improvements from any of the Oppos

This is my System:
Receiver: Denon AVR-2808 ( No Idea about the DAC's power )
C speaker: Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000
FL & FR: Paradigm monitor 9
SL,SR,BL & BR: Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL
SW: paradigm UltraCube 10
Screen: Samsung LCD
Player: PS3

Room correction and Audyssey are switched ON,switched the Audyssey OFF but didn't like the sound so I switched it back ON.
My AVR has both HDMI and analogue port's.
Please advise what is best for the equipment I'm using,and note I'm only using it for blu-ray movie's only and no plan's to change my system for the next year or two.
post #2189 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am consider a direct to power amp hook up (Mcintosh MC 303), with XLR leaving the RCA output for connection to my Denon, and the Oppo will also being connection with the usual HDMI out to my Denon.

Some questions:

The volume is only for analogue out? Will it affect the HDMI output as well?

Are the Oppo XLR and analogue output usable at the same time?

BTW, will there be an issue if we connect both the XLR and RCA inputs of the Mcintosh at the same time?

Thanks

My gear & my blog:

post #2190 of 11522 Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If one is only using the digital outputs (which includes HDMI), there's absolutely no point in even considering the 105. The WHOLE point of the 105 is improved analog outputs and additional features that really only make sense when analog outputs are being used (the extra digital inputs and the headphone output).

But will the analogue output's enhance the SQ on the Receiver ?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page