61Likes

post #2341 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick05 View Post

I currently have a BDP-93 and I am seriously considering upgrading to the 105 mainly to take advantage of the USB DAC to use with my mac mini server. But I have yet to read any feedback from users. I currently use a HRT streamer ii. Will the 105 best it?

Yes. I have the HRT streamer ii + here and the 105 is in a different class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Baker View Post

Just got mine yesterday. Am I the only one who finds the transport noise slightly objectionable? I loaded in "Patton" and gave it a whirl. During the opening scene where George C. Scott is delivering the famous monologue, I can clearly hear the transport spinning.
Other than that I think it's a great player. The PQ is amazing (first time I've had a player that takes advantage of _all_ the features on my Pioneer Elite PDP: deep color and 24fps playback.) The BDP-105 replaced half a rack of crap for me, including a CD player, DVD player, Benchmark DAC-1, and Roku. I actually considered ditching my pre-amp, too.

Jeff , do you have a Kuro display?
post #2343 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick05 View Post

I currently have a BDP-93 and I am seriously considering upgrading to the 105 mainly to take advantage of the USB DAC to use with my mac mini server. But I have yet to read any feedback from users. I currently use a HRT streamer ii. Will the 105 best it?

several people have commented on the USB DAC, though probably not as many as expected. The oppo is a 24/192 DAC the HRT is not, the oppo is an asynch DAC the HRT is not, the oppo has a full beefed up power supply the HRT really has no power supply. I had an HRT too and liked it though it seemed to have good days and bad days. The oppo is a setp up. I also sold my AGD REF 5.32 DAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

OK... really good to know. But why are my 24b/96kHz files changed by the Oppo windows driver to whatever bit depth and sampling rate is set by the control panel settings. As i said, the panel defaults to 16b/44.1kHz so my Hirez files will be degraded to this bit-rate? Do i always have to go in and change the panel parameters to the correct resolution and sample depths my files have?

Again, I don't think that has anything to do with the OPPO. I'm sure it's all based on your computer settings. You need to get into the property settings of that music device and enable all the bit rated and turn unclick all the fields that talk about extra processing and save it. There are too many different ways that people can have thier computers set up though to discuss every thing to check but that should cover most windows people and again, I doubt the Oppo is playing anything other than what it gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoladikwig View Post

For folks who are using the 105 as a preamp to drive poweramps directly, how's it working out with 105 volume control? Any issues?

So far no issues at all. I only go that way for 2 channel though. Any TV or movie listening is through an AVR. Everyone's all worried about the volume reset after a firmware update but that doesn't happen very often and you always know before it happens. Plus all you have to do is just turn the amp off if you're concerned. No issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkiwi View Post

Yes. I have the HRT streamer ii + here and the 105 is in a different class.
post #2344 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM

I'm torn on this decision too. I think the not knowing when the XMC actually comes out will make me just go and buy the upc-200. I was going that direction anyway but several people on the emotiva forum said that based on having an oppo105 and my speakers I should just get the XMC-1 with it's beefed up and analog section (and beefed up room correction). My original plan was to use the UMC-200 but still directly connect the OPPO to my power amp thru XLR (the the XPA amps have RCA and XLR ins with a hotswappable selector switch). Basically what I'm doing now so I think I'd be happy with it....???

Ok, I'm an idiot. I've always wondered why people talked about the audioholics reviews and I've even wondered where people were getting the information they made comments about. I've clicked all over thier 'review' page before without finding any more information - well I just found the extra 6 or whatever pages on the emotiva review. Yea, I'm an idiot.
post #2345 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

For folks who are using the 105 as a preamp to drive poweramps directly, how's it working out with 105 volume control? Any issues?

No issues, works great for both stereo and MCH smile.gif
post #2346 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I owned a BDP-95 and sent it back because I liked the sound of my Sony XA-5400ES better through the analog outs and I liked the sound of the BDP-S5000ES through its analog outs over the 95. I have since changed processors and I now listen to the balanced analog outs of the sony through a Bryston SP3. Now the sound of the Sony is even better. In my opinion, while the Bryston's SP3 significantly betters that of the Sony, its sonic signature is more akin to the Sony as opposed to the Oppo whose sound I thought was course and less pristine. I guess its a matter of taste.

Not waiting to pounce on the Oppo because of the one guy who sent his 105 back are we? Whats going on gbaby! long time and congrats on the Byrston SP3. I just upgraded Pre's as well to the Marantz 8801 and with the 105, lets just say I'll race ya for "Pinks"biggrin.gif
post #2347 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

How are you doing that? There is no support in the player for any ISO as a media file,
-Bill

Xcuse the confusion. Using the ISO as archive, but as u mentioned it will not work with the OPPO. I am a firm believer in getting this as a future sw upgrade wink.gif
post #2348 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Not waiting to pounce on the Oppo because of the one guy who sent his 105 back are we? Whats going on gbaby! long time and congrats on the Byrston SP3. I just upgraded Pre's as well to the Marantz 8801 and with the 105, lets just say I'll race ya for "Pinks"biggrin.gif

I just wanted to let him know that he is not alone. I will race you for the pink slip if you are speaking of my Sony TA-E9000ES.smile.gif Incidentally, the Bryson SP3 is a phenominal piece of equipment. It sounds so good that I spend very little time writing about it, but listening to it. It has maxed out the capabilities of my current equipment, but I have no intentions of upgrading everything else because I am content, sonically speaking. wink.gif Happy New Years to you.
post #2349 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Dodo View Post

Xcuse the confusion. Using the ISO as archive, but as u mentioned it will not work with the OPPO. I am a firm believer in getting this as a future sw upgrade wink.gif

Somewhere over the rainbow, maybe. This was temporarily available on the BDP-93/95 and the studios dropped a ton of bricks on OPPO and Mediatek.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2350 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Below is what Oppo told me about using Windows control panel bit-depth/sample rate settings for the USB-DAC on the 105.

You need to use an application that can run the audio natively, rather than using the Direct Sound to process the audio.

You will want to download and install foobar2000 (
http://www.foobar2000.org/download). By default foobar2000, and any other audio program, will be using "Direct Sound" drivers. You need to switch this to "Kernel Streaming (KS)" or "WASAPI" drivers.

With foobar2000 running select "File" then "Preference" (or press "Ctrl+P" with your keyboard). Inside "Preference" you will see a tab on the left labeled "Playback". Under "Playback" you will want to select "Output".

You will want to choose either "Kernel Streaming (KS)" or "WASAPI". Now select "APPLY".

You should now get source in; source out audio when using the Asynchronous USB input.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043

Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

They apparently do not recommned using Windows sound drivers for their USB-DAC.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #2351 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM

no you still use the windows USB driver or it wont work. You WANT to use wasabi (or whatever flavor you want) because that's what allows you to bypass all the windows processing etc. I think it also skips the setting I mentioned before but I was going for baby steps and didn't want it to be any more complicated than necessary. Note that using Wasabi (and even more so with Kernal streaming) may require more 'fiddeling' - the nice thing with with using DS (direct sound) is it lets windows take care of all the settings and really makes it easy on you - but with that being skipped all that middleware work is also being skipped. But all the other bad stuff and processing effects are skipped too. This is really the whole reason to use Foobar (or whatever player you want to use) over a basic windows player - because you can use wasabi which helps the whole process concentrate on making better sound and nothing else.

Also note that I've had several nice high-end DACs and when playing foobar2000 with Wasabi with high-res files I constantly had to go into the foobar settings and change them for different bit-rates etc (since windows wasn't making the adjustments anymore) - and it was a huge hassle. The OPPO 105 is the first high-res DAC that I've used where I (still haven't) had to go in and make those changes (all my initial settings were already set up). I'm actually not at all clear why this is and it doesn't make sense but I am not complaining.
post #2352 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 27
Wasabi is for sushi, WASAPI is an application programming interface (API). Just in case anyone tries to Google for it and comes up with a pile of green stuff rather than a driver. That would be FUBAR (pun intended). wink.gif
Styln likes this.

Stephen Powell
post #2353 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 10
Does anyone know whether an iPad app similar to iPeng (in controlling the Logitech Squeezebox Touch) might be possible with the 105? Controlling it over the network without turning on the TV, doing playlists, etc.
post #2354 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

Very sorry to hear about amps getting fried. Which is a good time to remind folks that if you are running your 105 direct to your amps, be sure to lower your volume levels after a firmware update. By default, Oppo has decided to reset the volume level of the variable outputs to 100% volume - which will certainly blow some speakers and amps frown.gif
Styln

Not to mention damaged eardrums. I've communicated my concern about this to OPPO. Suggested, at the least, a note posted with the option to go to default after download to warn the owner about the volume. Better yet, default the volume to last setting.
Styln likes this.
post #2355 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:

None that I've found so far.
post #2356 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I just wanted to let him know that he is not alone. I will race you for the pink slip if you are speaking of my Sony TA-E9000ES.smile.gif Incidentally, the Bryson SP3 is a phenominal piece of equipment. It sounds so good that I spend very little time writing about it, but listening to it. It has maxed out the capabilities of my current equipment, but I have no intentions of upgrading everything else because I am content, sonically speaking. wink.gif Happy New Years to you.

I hear ya if ain't broke don't fix it ! And happy New Year as well!
post #2357 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphillips View Post

Not to mention damaged eardrums. I've communicated my concern about this to OPPO. Suggested, at the least, a note posted with the option to go to default after download to warn the owner about the volume. Better yet, default the volume to last setting.

I did not pick the reset factory defaults and volume remained where last set . . . 5 not 100
post #2358 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmachine View Post

Jeff , do you have a Kuro display?

Yes, the PRO-151FD.
post #2359 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real View Post

Does anyone know whether an iPad app similar to iPeng (in controlling the Logitech Squeezebox Touch) might be possible with the 105? Controlling it over the network without turning on the TV, doing playlists, etc.
** edit ** see below post by tme110, I misunderstood the question and I've been corrected.

Yes.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105-Support.aspx

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oppo-remote/id584701552

Ed
post #2360 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz View Post

No issues on this end. I took out my McIntosh MX121 out of the mix and other than the convenience of an an AV and faster response to HDMI switching, no issues. The only thing is that the gain directly to the amp (an MC205) is a bit lower, but not a deal killer.

I currently have the Oppo's analog outputs going directly to my McIntosh MC207. I completely agree with you on wishing for more gain. If I end up keeping this system, I'll have to add a pre-amp. Don't get rid of your MX121 yet. I got rid of my C45 and miss is already.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #2361 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM

No that remote only replaces the existing remote and doesn't act as a second screen (not needing a TV).

There has been lots and lots of talk about this and different options. Since searching for DLNA is too much I'd search for upnp, bubbleupnp, control point, kinsky, sitecom, etc and if you're already using the 105 as a USB DAC then monkeymote will work (since you can skip the whole DLNA part). You need to have a DLNA server going (foobar, jriver etc) a DLNA resolver (the 105) and a DLNA controller (the ipad app) that can actually talk to both of them. It looks like it works a lot better with android since they have bubbleupnp (which sounds like it works well) and iOS doesn't. I havne't found a perfect application yet but I can get it to work (i use ios). Lots of info in this thread though,
post #2362 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Yes, the PRO-151FD.

Me too, and the 105 looks amazing on this display!
post #2363 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Just got mine yesterday. Am I the only one who finds the transport noise slightly objectionable? I loaded in "Patton" and gave it a whirl. During the opening scene where George C. Scott is delivering the famous monologue, I can clearly hear the transport spinning.
Other than that I think it's a great player. The PQ is amazing (first time I've had a player that takes advantage of _all_ the features on my Pioneer Elite PDP: deep color and 24fps playback.) The BDP-105 replaced half a rack of crap for me, including a CD player, DVD player, Benchmark DAC-1, and Roku. I actually considered ditching my pre-amp, too.

It's not supposed to make any noticeable noise. I *hate* transport noise, and fans, and bought the 105 specifically to get rid of the fan in the 95, and am very very happy with the lack of noise.

I assume you tried more than one disk? Sometimes a particular disk can have irregular separation plastic (from the mold or stamping machine or whatever) around the edge, other times used-disk vendors stick tape on the top surface. Both can cause instability and vibration (although the Oppo has a robust transport that snubs most vibrations).

If it's more than one disk, contact Oppo and tell them you hear the transport. You shouldn't, and they will probably replace the player.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2364 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM

So, I've rejected several BD players over the years for transport noise. I *think* the problem is just that a few discs have got really, really high bit rates that kicks the transport into some kind of double speed mode or something. Of all the discs I have only Patton does this. It's not vibration it's just a plain motor noise ... you know how the transport is much louder during loading, right? With this disc, it makes that noise, all the time.
post #2365 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Me too, and the 105 looks amazing on this display!

And on the PRO-141FD monitor.

I still wish Pioneer hadn't exited the business. Hoping OLED delivers.
shyguy3763 likes this.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2366 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

Me too... the new Elite LED's are pretty nice, but I don't think it outperforms the 141/151 Elite we have, and certainly not worth the $$$ to upgrade... I'm looking forward to 4K, which is one of the reasons I got the Oppo.
post #2367 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

I've had my PRO-141FD monitor for three years now. I keep an eye out for what's available but to to date I don't think there is anything on the market that can match it, let alone surpass it. I'm looking for reviews and opinions on the 4k televisions just hitting the market.
post #2368 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM

I have a strange problem that cropped up tonight. I turned the system on so my girls could watch a bluray, and there was a CD in the tray that started playing automatically, through the XLRs to my AVM 50v. The problem, is that it was REALLY loud (I have the startup volume set to -40). I went into the menu on the AVM50 to check ANLG Input level, which I had previously set at -6db. It was still set to -6db, but I selected it anyway, and the clipping meter that shows up when you adjust input level was almost max'd out, I had the pink bar above the green on solid, with the red bar above the pink flashing on and off with peaks. I adjusted the input level on the AVM to -20 (max range) and it didn't move the meter much at all... it was still showing clipping on the meter on the loudest peaks. So, I adjust the output volume on the Oppo down to 80 (from 100) and I was comfortably in the green. When I exited out of everything, I switched back and forth between ANLG Dir and HDMI on the AVM 50, and the ANLG Dir was close to 12db lower in output than the HDMI. I went back into the ANLG Input level menu on the AVM 50 and the clipping meter was significantly lower than it was before over the same passage of music. So, I left the Oppo at -80, and adjusted the AVM 50 input level up to 0db, while still comfortably in the green on the clipping meter. (This setting is still about 3db softer than the same music over HDMI). Exit out and go back in, and the clipping meter shows clipping again. I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to properly set the levels? I'm sure the HDMI is not clipping, and I'm NOT sure the ANLG IS clipping, since the clipping meter in the AVM 50 seems to change every time I exit and re-enter. I had initially assumed I could set the levels the same between the ANLG and HDMI, but now not so sure. BTW, I never heard any audible clipping under any of these scenarios.

The other problem I'm having... in the Oppo setup menu, under speaker configuration, I can't get any output tones. I have all speakers set to large, and the distance set to 12ft because I'm using ARC in the AVM 50... does that turn the tones off since I'm not using the Oppo's speaker setup?
post #2369 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardV View Post

I currently have the Oppo's analog outputs going directly to my McIntosh MC207. I completely agree with you on wishing for more gain. If I end up keeping this system, I'll have to add a pre-amp. Don't get rid of your MX121 yet. I got rid of my C45 and miss is already.

Sold a MX-132 after two weeks with 105 as the Pre/Processor 1) Room does not need Eq. 2) No desire to get into Vinyl 3) Speakers are very sensitve -104 dB so gain os not an issue.
post #2370 of 11524 Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

A couple of downsides to this scenario, which may very well not be applicable to your case/desires ;-)
1) no possible way to use the subwoofer if you like 2.1 versus 2.0. This is only possible via the HDMI in the scenarios you mentioned and using the multi-channel analog outputs.
2) no way of playing 5.1/7.1 movies/TV series with full surround sound.
Cheers.
Tony

Regarding point 1) 2.1 with USB is possible. Use XLR outputs for amp(s) use Y connected RCAs to sub. Sub should have low pass filter. My sub has two line level inputs 1 goes to SW RCA the other is the two L & R RCA Stereo outputs Y'd .1 in 2.1.

Of course XLR could be Y'd and sent to the sub and the RCA to the amp.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page