Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2431 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Member
 
nycjazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Thanks so much Bob. You are always very helpful and that was a wealth of information. It gives me a very good picture of what is going on with the analog set. I really like my sacd and dvd audio discs as well, and I plan on using the multichannel analog outs of the 105 for that.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond. You have a lot of patience.

Bob rocks! Just remember that you wont bass content on your DSD direct out unless there's .1 content in the disc...
nycjazz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2432 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Member
 
06S2k02Si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Baraboo, WI
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all...I have a comparison question...has anyone compared the oppo105 to the Cambridge 751bd regarding the analog out? I've read some comparisons between the oppo 95 and the 751bd but not the 105 & 751bd. I am in the market for a new player (currently have a Pioneer bdp-51fd) and have currently narrowed it down to these units. As CES is comming soon too I am planning to wait to see about any new options. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Brian
06S2k02Si is offline  
post #2433 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
Robban69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
when i play m2ts file from a blu ray like from dlna its work for about 10 min then the picture freez. I can change the time by go to button but then after 10 min its freez again.Any suggestions.Its no problem by plaing it from AVCHD mapp.
Robban69 is offline  
post #2434 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Boyce:

I have the ssame setup as yours in my D2v connected to my 105. No perceived difference in SPLs between HDMI, XLR and RCA, if the XLR gain is set at -6dB in my D2v. In your case, i would re-install the Anthem firmware (v3.09f). Remember to load the factory defaults first as stated in the FW instructions, then to load your user settings after the install. You may then re-upload your ARC solution as a last step. What you've experienced is not normal obviously.

Thanks Dave. Can you do me a favor? In the Analog Level adjustment on your D2v, where you have your XLR's trimmed -6dB, can you click on that while music is playing and tell me if the green bar to the right of the input trims is clipping? I'm assuming you have your Oppo set to "100" on Analog output?

 

Boyce:

 

I see the 'clipping' as well(if thats what it it), marked in XX or xx. I don't know what to make of it for it remains that way regardless of main volume control by Anthem remote.  Changing the Oppo volume mode to Variable and reducing the volume via the Oppo remote, then i can prevent this 'clipping'.

 

The Oppo puts out a rated 4.3Vrms on its XLR outputs which, i believe, seems to be a bit much for the Anthem from what i see. I do not really know if the XX means clipping is at hand or your approaching the clipping point. Anthems data sheet is vague as to the maximum input levels it accepts on its XLR inputs.

 

Regardless, i cannot hear any clipping in effect when i play my 2CH sources into the D2v XLR inputs. Time to call Anthem to find out what these xx mean... I'm running beta v3.09f

 

- David


How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #2435 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfield19 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Dave, Just reloaded ARC and changed the XLR input trim to -6dB and the output level on the Oppo back to 100... volume between HDMI and XLR is identical, but the AVM 50v shows the XLR inputs are clipping badly. I don't hear any obvious signs of clipping though. I'll be at CES next week and will bring this up with the Anthem guys when I visit their suite. I'm guessing it's a firmware issue (though it showed the same thing on 3.09, c and now f). Maybe their indicated voltages are incorrect for that particular gauge?
Boyce,
I'm using an oppo 105 into a d2v and am seeing the same clipping issue (which was quite audible). I currently have xlr gain set to -15 in the d2v (oppo still set to 100) and it doesn't seem to be clipping any longer, but it does seem a bit odd.
Could it be anything to do with the reported high voltages being output by the oppo xlrs perhaps?
I've not tried any of the beta firmwares on the d2v btw - still on v3.09.

I found no relation to the clipping and the Anthem volume control but it varied with the Oppo volume control using its remote. As i said above, i can't hear distortion but maybe i'm not sensitive as i need to be? I'm running beta 3.09f


How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #2436 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

Got my Roku stick (Oppo bundle deal) today - pretty cool with Vevo - all I need is Martha Quinn and I'm back to 1980s MTV. biggrin.gif

Whoever designed that though; poking out the front of the Oppo just waiting to get side-swiped or preventing the cabinet to close. I found some "articulating" HDMI adapters on Monoprice and had one on hand that lets it fold down out of the way. The things seem a little dodgy, but they work.

I bought the 360 degree swivel HDMI connector type and it looked flimsy as the Roku was heavy and it stood tilted to the side which looked odd. I returned them and hope ordered fixed 90/270 connectors. Hopefully, they'll work out better. 


How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #2437 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The XLR voltage of the OPPO outputs and the Anthem D2v inputs are compatible with the -6dB adjustment on the D2v input.

One common confusion here is if you have the 2-CH or 6-CH input assigned to something other than the 2-CH or 6-CH SOURCE definition. In that case when applying the Input adjustment you have to be sure you have selected the desired SOURCE line (e.g, DVD1) instead of the 2-CH or 6-CH line in the menu.
--Bob

 

Bob ...my AUDIO IN slelection is AnalogDSP for the 2CH XLR inputs to the D2v. Is this correct?


How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #2438 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
boyce89976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The XLR voltage of the OPPO outputs and the Anthem D2v inputs are compatible with the -6dB adjustment on the D2v input.
One common confusion here is if you have the 2-CH or 6-CH input assigned to something other than the 2-CH or 6-CH SOURCE definition. In that case when applying the Input adjustment you have to be sure you have selected the desired SOURCE line (e.g, DVD1) instead of the 2-CH or 6-CH line in the menu.
--Bob

So, are you saying that if I have my Oppo set to 2-CH in the source setup, I need to adjust the DVD1 line in the analog input level trim menu?

The weird thing is that when I exit the setup menu on the AVM 50, after adjusting the output level on the Oppo to zero clipping on input level meter on the AVM 50, I can go back into the analog input level mene on the AVM 50 and the input level meter shows slight clipping again... this is with no other changes... just exiting, saving the settings and going right back into the menu.
boyce89976 is offline  
post #2439 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Member
 
boyce89976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Bob ...my AUDIO IN slelection is AnalogDSP for the 2CH XLR inputs to the D2v. Is this correct?

Dave,
I think that engages ARC in the D2v which is converting your analog signal back to digital for processing in the D2v. I have mine set to AnlgDir, which should be a straight path to the pre-outs?
boyce89976 is offline  
post #2440 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Member
 
JRDiAndrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have been using my new 105 (that replaced a 95 as the primary Bluray in my system) for several weeks. Great performance on Bluray movies & concerts. For CD & SACD / DVD-A playback I am still using my Bel canto Pl-1a. I want to test drive the analog performance of the 105 but have had issues hi rez playback and now analogue outputs.

Initially, I was unable to play hi rez discs most of the time but the latest firmware update corrected that.

Now my problem is audio steering when using analogue outs. I first noticed this when I first tested it's network function. Using my Synology Diskstation 1812 to push music to the 105 via an ethernet connection worked without any problems....EXCEPT, the audio "steers" left. It is not listenable. I have no clue what would be causing this. Now, I have noticed the same problem using the analogue outs.....everything steers to the left. I have already attenuated and made necessary adjustments to the outputs using a meter & the player's test tones.

All source components go into a Lexicon MC-12HDEQ, including the Bel canto which i have used for about 8 years. All I've done to test the 105 is, of course, remove the output cables from the Bel canto & placed into the 105 analogue outputs. I am using the Stereo L/R RCA pair by the way. I'm using no processing in the MC12 as i always utilize 5.1 By-pass.

So....for now, Blu-rays on the 105 and music remains on the Bel Canto untill I get this figured out. Any & all ideas will be appreciated.....
JRDiAndrea is offline  
post #2441 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
boyce89976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There are very few things that can screw up the audio level "per source" in the Anthem.
First check Setup > Source Setup for each Source you are using for the OPPO and make sure you don't have Dolby Volume turned on by mistake and that you DO have ARC enabled (Room EQ = ON).
Next, eliminate any "temporary" speaker volume trim adjustments you may have set with the buttons on the remote and forgotten about. To eliminate all of the "temporary" settings at once, go into Setup > Save and Restore Settings and:
1) Save User Settings
2) Reload Factory Defaults -- if you lose video, continue using the Front Panel Display
3) Reload Saved User Settings
Since the "temporary" settings are not Saved, this resets all of them.
You can use a calibration disc, such as the LPCM tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray, to verify the audio levels are properly matched.
For your DVR, another possibility for low volume is that you have enabled its Dynamic Range Compression or Night Mode.
--Bob

Hi Bob, et al,

I've attached some screen shots of how I have everything in the setup menu for the Oppo, and also a shot of the input level meter pegged out, while my input trim on 2-CH is at -20dB. I'm afraid I am frying my analog inputs on the AVM 50v.

I have two other sources set up from the Oppo: 1) BluRay via HDMI and, 2) CD via HDMI. Neither of those are setup with anything pointing to the 2-CH inputs. All help is appreciated.





Input level meter maxed out with -20dB input trim on the 2-CH inputs!
boyce89976 is offline  
post #2442 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Member
 
leefarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you are wiring the Dedicated L/R and ALSO the full multi-channel Analog set to separately selectable inputs of a pre-amp, then you likely want to use Stereo Signal DOWN MIX STEREO (the "default" configuration). In that case, when you select to listen to Dedicated L/R your Sub will be silent. Whether you like this compared to listening to the multi-channel Analog connection will depend on how well your fronts handle bass on their own -- without support from the Sub.
--Bob

Indeed, Bob, you are a WEALTH of information, thank you. This last scenario is exactly what I'm doing. I've got Analog MCH outs going to one input on my Pre/Pro, which I use exclusively for listening to DVD-A and SACD (converted to PCM), so I should be getting subwoofer output, even for stereo 2.0 discs with no LFE channel, correct? Then I've got the dedicated stereo outputs connected to another input on my Pre/Pro via RCA (soon to be replaced by XLR) which I use exclusively for music fed through the USB input from my Mac Mini music server, with the Stereo Signal set to Down-Mixed Stereo. This way I get no signal to my sub, though I will be purchasing a Rel R-328 which uses a proprietary connection to send a signal to the sub off the speaker terminals of the amp.

Any errors to watch out for with this scenario?
leefarber is offline  
post #2443 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Boyce:


I have the ssame setup as yours in my D2v connected to my 105. No perceived difference in SPLs between HDMI, XLR and RCA, if the XLR gain is set at -6dB in my D2v. In your case, i would re-install the Anthem firmware (v3.09f). Remember to load the factory defaults first as stated in the FW instructions, then to load your user settings after the install. You may then re-upload your ARC solution as a last step. What you've experienced is not normal obviously.


Thanks Dave. Can you do me a favor? In the Analog Level adjustment on your D2v, where you have your XLR's trimmed -6dB, can you click on that while music is playing and tell me if the green bar to the right of the input trims is clipping? I'm assuming you have your Oppo set to "100" on Analog output?

Boyce:

I see the 'clipping' as well(if thats what it it), marked in XX or xx. I don't know what to make of it for it remains that way regardless of main volume control by Anthem remote.  Changing the Oppo volume mode to Variable and reducing the volume via the Oppo remote, then i can prevent this 'clipping'.

The Oppo puts out a rated 4.3Vrms on its XLR outputs which, i believe, seems to be a bit much for the Anthem from what i see. I do not really know if the XX means clipping is at hand or your approaching the clipping point. Anthems data sheet is vague as to the maximum input levels it accepts on its XLR inputs.

Regardless, i cannot hear any clipping in effect when i play my 2CH sources into the D2v XLR inputs. Time to call Anthem to find out what these xx mean... I'm running beta v3.09f

- David

That bar graph is only valid if you have ANALOG-DSP set.

The correct setting for the XLR inputs is -6dB in the Anthem.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #2444 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you are wiring the Dedicated L/R and ALSO the full multi-channel Analog set to separately selectable inputs of a pre-amp, then you likely want to use Stereo Signal DOWN MIX STEREO (the "default" configuration). In that case, when you select to listen to Dedicated L/R your Sub will be silent. Whether you like this compared to listening to the multi-channel Analog connection will depend on how well your fronts handle bass on their own -- without support from the Sub.
--Bob

Indeed, Bob, you are a WEALTH of information, thank you. This last scenario is exactly what I'm doing. I've got Analog MCH outs going to one input on my Pre/Pro, which I use exclusively for listening to DVD-A and SACD (converted to PCM), so I should be getting subwoofer output, even for stereo 2.0 discs with no LFE channel, correct? Then I've got the dedicated stereo outputs connected to another input on my Pre/Pro via RCA (soon to be replaced by XLR) which I use exclusively for music fed through the USB input from my Mac Mini music server, with the Stereo Signal set to Down-Mixed Stereo. This way I get no signal to my sub, though I will be purchasing a Rel R-328 which uses a proprietary connection to send a signal to the sub off the speaker terminals of the amp.

Any errors to watch out for with this scenario?

No errors. Just be aware that your Sub will need +15dB boost with Small speakers set in the multi-channel Analog outputs. Your pre-pro is likely providing +10dB of that by default. You can do the rest on the volume knob of the Sub (and then possibly lower the sub output trim for your other digital sources to compensate).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #2445 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The XLR voltage of the OPPO outputs and the Anthem D2v inputs are compatible with the -6dB adjustment on the D2v input.
One common confusion here is if you have the 2-CH or 6-CH input assigned to something other than the 2-CH or 6-CH SOURCE definition. In that case when applying the Input adjustment you have to be sure you have selected the desired SOURCE line (e.g, DVD1) instead of the 2-CH or 6-CH line in the menu.
--Bob

So, are you saying that if I have my Oppo set to 2-CH in the source setup, I need to adjust the DVD1 line in the analog input level trim menu?

The weird thing is that when I exit the setup menu on the AVM 50, after adjusting the output level on the Oppo to zero clipping on input level meter on the AVM 50, I can go back into the analog input level mene on the AVM 50 and the input level meter shows slight clipping again... this is with no other changes... just exiting, saving the settings and going right back into the menu.

The Anthem lets you specify which Analog input you want to use as part of the Source definition. If you are using the 2-Ch input as part of the 2-Ch source definition, then the line you want to adjust for input is the 2-Ch line.

If you are using the 2-Ch input as part of the DVD1 source definition, then the line you want to adjust for input is the DVD1 line.

Folks these Anthem questions really should be asked in the Anthem thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #2446 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Quote:
The XLR voltage of the OPPO outputs and the Anthem D2v inputs are compatible with the -6dB adjustment on the D2v input.


One common confusion here is if you have the 2-CH or 6-CH input assigned to something other than the 2-CH or 6-CH SOURCE definition. In that case when applying the Input adjustment you have to be sure you have selected the desired SOURCE line (e.g, DVD1) instead of the 2-CH or 6-CH line in the menu.

--Bob

Bob ...my AUDIO IN slelection is AnalogDSP for the 2CH XLR inputs to the D2v. Is this correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Bob ...my AUDIO IN slelection is AnalogDSP for the 2CH XLR inputs to the D2v. Is this correct?

Dave,
I think that engages ARC in the D2v which is converting your analog signal back to digital for processing in the D2v. I have mine set to AnlgDir, which should be a straight path to the pre-outs?

Last answer here, then I really think we need to put our collective foot down and insist these Anthem questions go to the Anthem thread.

There are two separate lines in each Source definition. One is for Audio IN and includes choices like Analog-Dir (direct -- no processing including ARC), and Analog-DSP (re-digitizied on input so that processing like ARC can happen). The other line is for Analog Audio and specifies which input jacks are to be used when using either Analog-Dir or Analog-DSP. By default the 2-Ch SOURCE uses the 2-Ch Balanced (XLR) JACKS for analog audio input, but you can set any Source to use any Jacks. The Analog Input Level menu includes a line for each SOURCE. So for example there are DVD1, DVD2, DVD3, DVD4 lines even though there is only one RCA stereo input pair labeled DVD. So you adjust the input level for the SOURCE line that applies and it gets adjusted for the Analog JACKS used by that SOURCE.

The bar graph that folks are worrying about here only shows valid info when the SOURCE is set to Analog-DSP.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #2447 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
boyce89976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

That bar graph is only valid if you have ANALOG-DSP set.
The correct setting for the XLR inputs is -6dB in the Anthem.
--Bob

Bob, thank you. I read that in the manual, but the manual says "if selected while a source set to Analog-DSP is playing, the graph will show up". I have it set to Analog-DIR, but it's still showing up, so I thought the graph was valid. Do you think I have something wrong in my setup for 2-CH since the graph shows up on Analog-DIR?

Understood about asking in the Anthem forum, but I wasn't getting any answers there, and the source is the Oppo, so thought I'd try both forums! At the time, I wasn't sure if it was an Oppo or Anthem issue. biggrin.gif

Appreciate your expertise, you, Stew, Kris, Kal and Dave are top notch contributors to these forums! Thank you!
boyce89976 is offline  
post #2448 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDiAndrea View Post

Have been using my new 105 (that replaced a 95 as the primary Bluray in my system) for several weeks. Great performance on Bluray movies & concerts. For CD & SACD / DVD-A playback I am still using my Bel canto Pl-1a. I want to test drive the analog performance of the 105 but have had issues hi rez playback and now analogue outputs.

Initially, I was unable to play hi rez discs most of the time but the latest firmware update corrected that.

Now my problem is audio steering when using analogue outs. I first noticed this when I first tested it's network function. Using my Synology Diskstation 1812 to push music to the 105 via an ethernet connection worked without any problems....EXCEPT, the audio "steers" left. It is not listenable. I have no clue what would be causing this. Now, I have noticed the same problem using the analogue outs.....everything steers to the left. I have already attenuated and made necessary adjustments to the outputs using a meter & the player's test tones.

All source components go into a Lexicon MC-12HDEQ, including the Bel canto which i have used for about 8 years. All I've done to test the 105 is, of course, remove the output cables from the Bel canto & placed into the 105 analogue outputs. I am using the Stereo L/R RCA pair by the way. I'm using no processing in the MC12 as i always utilize 5.1 By-pass.

So....for now, Blu-rays on the 105 and music remains on the Bel Canto untill I get this figured out. Any & all ideas will be appreciated.....

Try this: Change the Stereo Signal setting to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and then back to DOWN MIX STEREO (which I presume is what you've been using). If that fixes the problem then you've been bitten by a bug I described above -- under certain circumstances the Stereo Signal setting may incorrectly use the alternate choice. Fix this by changing to the alternate choice and back.

Also make sure the DTS Neo:6 Mode is OFF.

If that doesn't fix it, then check levels using the internal Test Tones in the Speaker Configuration setting. If the Left and Right outputs differ by more than you know to be correct for your amp, speakers, and room then call Oppo Tech Support. Your player may need warranty service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #2449 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Member
 
leefarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

No errors. Just be aware that your Sub will need +15dB boost with Small speakers set in the multi-channel Analog outputs. Your pre-pro is likely providing +10dB of that by default. You can do the rest on the volume knob of the Sub (and then possibly lower the sub output trim for your other digital sources to compensate).
--Bob

Thanks, Bob. How do I know if the Pre/Pro is adding +10db to the Sub? I am using the Marantz 8801. There is a Subwoofer Level setting that ranges from -12db to +12db, but it defaults to 0. Audyssey had me turn my sub fairly low prior to calibration, so I'm afraid to raise the volume on the Sub lest it through my Audyssey calibration out of whack.

What to do?
leefarber is offline  
post #2450 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Member
 
JRDiAndrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Try this: Change the Stereo Signal setting to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT and then back to DOWN MIX STEREO (which I presume is what you've been using). If that fixes the problem then you've been bitten by a bug I described above -- under certain circumstances the Stereo Signal setting may incorrectly use the alternate choice. Fix this by changing to the alternate choice and back.
Also make sure the DTS Neo:6 Mode is OFF.
If that doesn't fix it, then check levels using the internal Test Tones in the Speaker Configuration setting. If the Left and Right outputs differ by more than you know to be correct for your amp, speakers, and room then call Oppo Tech Support. Your player may need warranty service.
--Bob

Thx Bob. I'll try switching stereo setting.
JRDiAndrea is offline  
post #2451 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
stevepow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

The Oppo puts out a rated 4.3Vrms on its XLR outputs which, i believe, seems to be a bit much for the Anthem from what i see. I do not really know if the XX means clipping is at hand or your approaching the clipping point. Anthems data sheet is vague as to the maximum input levels it accepts on its XLR inputs.


- David

Oppo nominal output is 4.2Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS (0 dB Full Scale = maximum level digital source). Anthem specs the AVM50v max input at 5.3Vrms, 3.0Vrms for 6-ch input - I'm guessing that means 5.3(XLR)/3.0(RCA). Seems like it should be OK.

Are the meters actually peaking RED or just Pink? It is very possible for CD music these days to be produced with a very limited dynamic range having continuous output ranging between even -8dBFS to 0dBFS - and that could keep your meters often PINK and a RED might kick off occasionally. From what I gather, the Anthem is only metering for inputs that are Analog-DSP; those destined for digital processing so you can trim them to prevent clipping the AD converter inputs into that processing stage. With modern music, PINK meters indicating -6dBFS to 0dBFS would not be surprising.

Stephen Powell
stevepow is offline  
post #2452 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
stevepow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

Thanks, Bob. How do I know if the Pre/Pro is adding +10db to the Sub? I am using the Marantz 8801. There is a Subwoofer Level setting that ranges from -12db to +12db, but it defaults to 0. Audyssey had me turn my sub fairly low prior to calibration, so I'm afraid to raise the volume on the Sub lest it through my Audyssey calibration out of whack.
What to do?

Lee, Assuming the 8801 and 7701 have similar menus, check the Audio/Surround Parameter/LFE Level menu item on the 8801 - you should see it set to 10 by default (at least that is the default on my 7701). You probably will need to change it to 15 - a calibration disc is handy for confirmation. This is only necessary on the 7.1ch analog input (9.1 for you probably cool.gif). On the digital inputs, the values choices for LFE Level are different and are not affected by the Oppo's bass management.

Stephen Powell
stevepow is offline  
post #2453 of 11379 Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Newbie
 
LMario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello
Bob. Is there any difference Audio Quality between usb dac vs smb.
Thanks
LMario is offline  
post #2454 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMario View Post

Hello
Bob. Is there any difference Audio Quality between usb dac vs smb.
Thanks

No.... the digital data is the same and eventually winds up going into the same set of DACs regardless of the input source that provided the data. So SMB via Ethernet would produce identical results to using a USB Dac, which uses the same dacs as the ethernet based source, SMB.

 

Beside, test data by Secrets-of-Home-Theater revealed identical analog performance results using multiple digital inputs, The only caveat would be jitter as its greater on the optical input than the electrical inputs. If that's important and audible to you, only you can determine that.


How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #2455 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Senior Member
 
vlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

No.... the digital data is the same and eventually winds up going into the same set of DACs regardless of the input source that provided the data. So SMB via Ethernet would produce identical results to using a USB Dac, which uses the same dacs as the ethernet based source, SMB.

Beside, test data by Secrets-of-Home-Theater revealed identical analog performance results using multiple digital inputs, The only caveat would be jitter as its greater on the optical input than the electrical inputs. If that's important and audible to you, only you can determine that.

I thought the USB DAC was asynch using the 105's internal clock for better sound than the S/PDIF inputs. Wouldn't the USB DAC also be better than the ethernet connection?

vlach is offline  
post #2456 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Senior Member
 
vlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

I would think the Oppo would sound at least as good as the A1 considering the Sabre DACs in the Oppo... you could always get one and send it back within 30 days if you don't like it. wink.gif

The Sabre DACS are not enough. You also have to consider the power supply and analog output stage as part of the overall design.
RichB likes this.

vlach is offline  
post #2457 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Senior Member
 
vlach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

The oppo is a setp up. I also sold my AGD REF 5.32 DAC.

As a 2 CH guy, i happen to be debating between the 105 & Ref 5.32 for DAC duties. I am particularly interested in your findings/comparisons between the two units. Are you saying the 105 bests the Ref 5.32 as a DAC?

vlach is offline  
post #2458 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 AM
Newbie
 
Kyhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDiAndrea View Post

Have been using my new 105 (that replaced a 95 as the primary Bluray in my system) for several weeks. Great performance on Bluray movies & concerts. For CD & SACD / DVD-A playback I am still using my Bel canto Pl-1a. I want to test drive the analog performance of the 105 but have had issues hi rez playback and now analogue outputs.
Initially, I was unable to play hi rez discs most of the time but the latest firmware update corrected that.
Now my problem is audio steering when using analogue outs. I first noticed this when I first tested it's network function. Using my Synology Diskstation 1812 to push music to the 105 via an ethernet connection worked without any problems....EXCEPT, the audio "steers" left. It is not listenable. I have no clue what would be causing this. Now, I have noticed the same problem using the analogue outs.....everything steers to the left. I have already attenuated and made necessary adjustments to the outputs using a meter & the player's test tones.
All source components go into a Lexicon MC-12HDEQ, including the Bel canto which i have used for about 8 years. All I've done to test the 105 is, of course, remove the output cables from the Bel canto & placed into the 105 analogue outputs. I am using the Stereo L/R RCA pair by the way. I'm using no processing in the MC12 as i always utilize 5.1 By-pass.
So....for now, Blu-rays on the 105 and music remains on the Bel Canto untill I get this figured out. Any & all ideas will be appreciated.....
When you say it steers left, are you talking about the soundstage always tending to the left side?
Are you utilizing bass management in the oppo?

If so, it sounds like something I did recently. My problem was from a misaligned speaker distance setting. One speaker was accidently set one foot closer than the other which caused a time smear that steered the sound to one speaker.

I'd suggest verifying your speaker distance settings.
Kyhl is offline  
post #2459 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Newbie
 
Kyhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs (either the RCA jack pair or the XLR jack pair) can be configured in two ways, as specified by the Stereo Signal setting.
The factory default setting is Stereo Signal DOWN MIX STEREO. When set that way the L/R outputs of the Dedicated set operate independently of the multi-channel audio Analog outputs (which is where the Subwoofer output resides).
So no, if you play a CD via L/R set that way you should NOT also use the Subwoofer jack to send audio to your Subwoofer. The full frequency range of the CD content will be output on the L/R jacks.
MEANWHILE, the multi-channel Analog audio jacks are ALSO live. If you have LF/RF set to Small and Subwoofer set to ON, then, while playing a CD, Crossover processing happens. That means Bass is extracted from the Left and Right channels according to your choice of Crossover frequency and sent to the Subwoofer output instead. What remains is output on the Left Front and Right Front jacks.
So if you wire BOTH the L/R from the Dedicated set AND the Subwoofer from the multi-channel set you will get that bass TWICE. First, the Dedicated L/R is retaining the bass in the L/R output, but then the multi-channel set is ALSO sending it to the Subwoofer output.
So what to do?
Well you could just ignore the Dedicate L/R jacks and simply wire LF/RF and Sub from the multi-channel set. This is what folks with the 103 do, since the 103 doesn't have Dedicated Stereo jacks.
As just described, with LF/RF set to Small and Subwoofer set to ON, those multi-channel Analog jacks will participate in Crossover processing and the correct Bass will be sent to your Sub -- and not ALSO sent to your fronts. So the balance of bass is retained compared to the rest of the frequency range.
ALTERNATIVELY, you can configure the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs in their second configuration -- Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. Set THIS way, the Dedicated L/R jacks respond to all the configuration settings that apply to LF/RF from the multi-channel set -- meaning that you can use Dedicated L/R IN LIEU OF the normal LF/RF jacks from the multi-channel set.
So you could set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, LF/RF SMALL, Sub ON, and wire Dedicated L/R and also Sub from the multi-channel set and the resulting output would be just as if you used only the multi-channel Analog output jacks as described just above.
In either case, since LF/RF are set to Small the Subwoofer output will need +15dB boost external to the player to match the volume level on the front speaker outputs. In the simplest configuration you would do this simply by raising the volume knob on the sub. You can use a calibration disc to verify the levels.
If you are wiring the Dedicated L/R and ALSO the full multi-channel Analog set to separately selectable inputs of a pre-amp, then you likely want to use Stereo Signal DOWN MIX STEREO (the "default" configuration). In that case, when you select to listen to Dedicated L/R your Sub will be silent. Whether you like this compared to listening to the multi-channel Analog connection will depend on how well your fronts handle bass on their own -- without support from the Sub.
--Bob

Thank you Bob. This was immensely helpful.
I am researching an upgrade to my system and have read through this entire thread looking for this explanation. I do have one more question.
I've seen comments stating that all of the analog outputs are always on but usually that is in reference to the M/C RCA's plus the stereo RCA or XLR's.

Does the oppo output from both the stereo XLR and the dedicated stereo RCA at the same time? If so, my next concern would be any timing issues between the two outputs but they should be minimal and the effect minimized to the bass frequencies anyway based on how it will be set up.

Here is where I am going with this. Surround sound is more of an added benefit for me. My main goal is stereo output on a budget in a dedicated treated room. I am trying to remove extraneous ADC/DAC from the signal chain while keeping the sub. I know that there are other paths to do this, but what I am thinking of doing for this setup is to run two sets of line level inputs into the sub (1 full range from XLR, one LFE from M/C). I've already checked with the manufacturer and the sub is designed to work this way. So what I want, is to run a line level RCA to my AVM20 (which may be the next item on the upgrade list) for analog direct mode and run the XLR's full range to the sub where the sub will handle crossover, phase, and possibly one PEQ setting. Assuming I can't tweak the room more.
Kyhl is offline  
post #2460 of 11379 Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Member
 
pfillion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does someone know when Oppo will release the Windows 8 driver ??

Thank you
pfillion is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off