post #2551 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post

Hi Bob and thanks for the reply. The panning issue I was refering to is the judder that occurs during fast action sceenes were you see the background judder. Fyi i did contact the canadian distributer to ensure the amp could take the signal but wanted a second opinion and see if someone tried it with a 27db gain

The video motion artifact you are referring to is probably a result of some inept "motion smoothing" algorithm in the display. See if there's a way to disable that "feature" of your display.

Check in the owner's thread for your display as there may be a way to do that in the Service Menu if it can't be done using the normal user controls. (If I'm right, other owners will be complaining about the same thing, so it should be a topic of interest in that thread.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsprint View Post

I don't like the way the input defaults back to disc each time I power the BDP-105 on/off. Most of the time I use my BDP-105 as a DAC attached to my PC. Each time I turn it off/on I need to click input on the remote many times to select digital coax. Is it possible to have it return to the previous input after a power off/on?
BTW, I'm using digital coax because I'm waiting for Windows 8 support for the USB interface.

For Digital COAX, the shortcut is: "Input" "7" buttons on the remote and it will go directly to it. Or, as said, a programmable remote that can do sequences or macros.

Stephen Powell
post #2553 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
For folks on the other side of the pond, word in the 103 thread here is that OPPO UK has now released "Official" firmware 1220 for the EU model players (BDP-103EU and BDP-105EU) for network update.

As I write this, their web page has NOT yet been updated to offer download links for folks who prefer to do the USB or burned-disc style of install instead of a network install, but presumably that will happen shortly.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2554 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 16
I have my 105 installed and operating nicely as a pre/pro. A couple of issues remain to be solved, but let's start with lack of 12v trigger output.

I've heard it's possible to splice into a USB cable and tap into it's 5V out. I know it's only 5v but it will still trigger 12V input in many amps?

I'll test it out tonight, but just curious if anyone has tried this.
post #2555 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 04:31 PM

Liked: 10
I am about to order a Oppo player and I hesitate between those two configurations:

Oppo BDP-103 + Audiolab M-DAC ( same SABRE 9018 chip as Oppo 105)
OR Oppo BDP-105

OF COURSE the DAC and audiophile part is my main concern between the 2 configs.

I don’t use WiFi connection, will use one HDMI and RCA output for analog signal only.
The main use of the Oppo will be blurays and play Wav files from a remote computer.
I won’t use anything like the smart features neither play SACD.

Any advantage to get the separate or disadvantage DAC over the built in Oppo 105?
Inputs greatly appreciated!

Rest of my configuration :
Sony HX820 55 inches LED TV / Nad T757 3D MDC a/v Receiver
Monitor Audio Silver series speakers: RX6 – Bi-Amp, RX Center, RXFX
REL R-328 Class D subwoofer with neutrik speakon cable
Audioquest Rocket 33 audio cables ( Front - Center ), X2 ( Surround ) / Audioquest Chocolate HDMI cables
PS3 super-slim 250Gb
post #2556 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

I have my 105 installed and operating nicely as a pre/pro. A couple of issues remain to be solved, but let's start with lack of 12v trigger output.
I've heard it's possible to splice into a USB cable and tap into it's 5V out. I know it's only 5v but it will still trigger 12V input in many amps?
I'll test it out tonight, but just curious if anyone has tried this.

It didn't work for me but I didn't spend enough time to make sure it was wired up correctly. Curious if you get it to work.
post #2557 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The folks in Beta Test Club have seen the rumor you refer to, but we can't comment on what might be coming for future features.
OPPO is certainly aware of the interest in doing this.
However I'm pretty sure the rumor refers only to the Asynchronous USB DAC input -- which is only present on the 105. There is already driver support in Windows 7 and on the Mac for 192KHz 24-bit LPCM Stereo via that input. The change would be to allow DSD input as well.
The regular USB 2.0 inputs used for attaching hard drives would not be changed in that case.
--Bob

Thanks Bob! I understand Oppo's position of wanting to keep certain things close to their chest.

After reading many of the post here, that have helped me greatly, I am enjoying my 105 more and more each day.

There is one thing that I feel could use some work and that is the ethernet menu tree for selecting albums, artist, etc. It seems very little resouces are dedicated to what could be an user friendly feature. I am not talking about making playlist on the fly and a few other items that have been pointed out already, but it's ablility to maintain any persistence. By this I mean after navagating to a folder, album, etc. then play whatever and you want, then try to go back one step in the tree. Many times it will go directly back to the root of the tree and you have to not only start over, but every step you go forward in the tree you will be thrown back to the root again. In many cases it's like taking one step forward and 5 steps backward. This becomes very annoying. I hope that I have explainded this well enough to follow, however I am sure there are others out there that have experianced what I am talking about.

Gary
post #2558 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles-Alex View Post

Any advantage to get the separate or disadvantage DAC over the built in Oppo 105?

The Oppo is a multichannel DAC as well as a stereo DAC.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #2559 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:

The 105 will give you bass management that a typical stereo dac won't.
post #2560 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Watching ESPN in a Hotel room on Samsung 42" LCD - Lipsync is terrible, apparently Lipsync is not just an Oppo issue. . .
post #2561 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

It didn't work for me but I didn't spend enough time to make sure it was wired up correctly. Curious if you get it to work.

It worked into a Emotiva UPA-1. I cut open a USB cord and there was a black, red, green and white wire.

Spliced the black and red into the 12v trigger cable supplied with the amp. Voila!

post #2562 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

The Oppo is a multichannel DAC as well as a stereo DAC.

Funny, I didn't realize that. I've always wanted to be able to play 5.1 FLACs, but never had a DAC that could handle it. What software could be used to play these on a Mac?
post #2563 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Welcome to AVS, and to this thread, "new guy"!
OPPO has significantly improved the lip sync issue you are asking about -- to the point where many folks are no longer seeing any problem. On the test bench, there are still some cases where a problem can creep in and OPPO continues to work to eliminate those as well. So I'd say the lip sync issue is "improved" but not yet "resolved".
--Bob

Thank you so much, my eyes were starting to bleed, this is one long, fact filled thread. Seems like there were several problems in the beginning and OPPO has resolved them pretty damn good. I'mthinking strongly of getting the 105 and ttrying it out as my pre amp as well as all the other wonderfulthings it does. If i can't get much money for my 83SE, I think I will just keep it!!!!!

Thanks for your help.
post #2564 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:

Welcome to AVS, and to this thread, "new guy"!
OPPO has significantly improved the lip sync issue you are asking about -- to the point where many folks are no longer seeing any problem. On the test bench, there are still some cases where a problem can creep in and OPPO continues to work to eliminate those as well. So I'd say the lip sync issue is "improved" but not yet "resolved".
--Bob

Thank you so much, my eyes were starting to bleed, this is one long, fact filled thread. Seems like there were several problems in the beginning and OPPO has resolved them pretty damn good. I'mthinking strongly of getting the 105 and ttrying it out as my pre amp as well as all the other wonderfulthings it does. If i can't get much money for my 83SE, I think I will just keep it!!!!!

Thanks for your help.
post #2565 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamawoody View Post

Thanks for your help.

Seems I've seen a post in here where an 83SE user sold his for a pretty penny.
post #2566 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 13
LISTENING DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO AMPS

After seeing a number of posts about hooking up the 105 directly to members’ amps we decided to give it a try. Therefore, instead of connecting the 105 to our AP Mantissa preamp we directly connected it to the AudioPrism Debut amps using the RCA stereo outputs. Set identical levels for this setup as well as through the AP Mantissa. For what it’s worth we used 105’s volume set to “40” for direct and “83” through the AP. This is a followup to our post #2068 on p. 69.

By the way, for those who are asking we have gobs of gain with the direct system. Amps are putting out somewhere around 45 watts per speaker. If I remember correctly the speakers are rated as 92.5 dB/watt sensitivity. At the volume setting of “40” we are measuring 66 dB listening volume at the listening position.

Listened to several tracks of Roberta Gambarini’s “Easy to Love” CD as well as Stockfisch’s “Closer to the Music” SACD. (My partner did not know which setup we were using and I made no comments until the audition was over.) Both of us concluded that with the direct setup you can hear farther into the music. Gambarini simply seemed as though she were standing at the mike singing without anything between us and her. The Stockfisch tracks 1 & 7 were clearer having slightly better defined bass as well as being even more open than through the Mantissa. Now if we can only figure out a way to play vinyl with the OPPO going direct to the amps! In a couple of weeks we hope to be able to check out the balanced outputs although this will not be direct to amp(s).

Under "darn, no rain" Seattle skies, Gill
post #2567 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

LISTENING DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO AMPS
After seeing a number of posts about hooking up the 105 directly to members’ amps we decided to give it a try. Therefore, instead of connecting the 105 to our AP Mantissa preamp we directly connected it to the AudioPrism Debut amps using the RCA stereo outputs. Set identical levels for this setup as well as through the AP Mantissa. For what it’s worth we used 105’s volume set to “40” for direct and “83” through the AP. This is a followup to our post #2068 on p. 69.
By the way, for those who are asking we have gobs of gain with the direct system. Amps are putting out somewhere around 45 watts per speaker. If I remember correctly the speakers are rated as 92.5 dB/watt sensitivity. At the volume setting of “40” we are measuring 66 dB listening volume at the listening position.
Listened to several tracks of Roberta Gambarini’s “Easy to Love” CD as well as Stockfisch’s “Closer to the Music” SACD. (My partner did not know which setup we were using and I made no comments until the audition was over.) Both of us concluded that with the direct setup you can hear farther into the music. Gambarini simply seemed as though she were standing at the mike singing without anything between us and her. The Stockfisch tracks 1 & 7 were clearer having slightly better defined bass as well as being even more open than through the Mantissa. Now if we can only figure out a way to play vinyl with the OPPO going direct to the amps! In a couple of weeks we hope to be able to check out the balanced outputs although this will not be direct to amp(s).
Under "darn, no rain" Seattle skies, Gill

That sounds real promising!!! I am so close to biting the bullet.
post #2568 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Liked: 15
I still have Audiolab M-DAC which I've replaced with Oppo 105.

Don't get me wrong - Audiolab M-DAC is a very capable DAC.
It's just Oppo managed to make the same Sabre32 to sound much better in my system.
The amount of air, ambient, details and sound stage - all got noticeably better.

My System now is also simpler and serves audio and occasional video duties:
X-Box(via HDMI) or PC (via HDMI or/and SMB)
> Oppo 105 (used to be M-DAC)
XLR with -20dB atten. ---> Emotiva XPA-2 power Amp ----> Mirage OMD-15 speakers
post #2569 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM

In my case I was comparing Peachtree Dac-IT ($499) and Audiolab M-DAC ($899).

Audiolab M-DAC won at least in my system.

Now Audiolab getting replaced by Oppo 105 because it does sound significantly better in my system.

I wouldn't count on external DAC's easily beating Oppo 105 audio section :-).
Quote:
post #2570 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM

To be more precise - I wouldn't count on 500$ DACs easily beating Oppo 105 audio section.
Even 900$ ones IMHO may be beaten by Oppo.
post #2571 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone else had issues connecting an Apple Airport Express via optical out to their Oppo BDP-105?

I just received my bdp-105 a few days ago. SACD playback is great. However when I use it as a D/A converter with an airport express as the source (via optical cable), the music skips - there is a brief silent pause every 1 to 8 seconds. I have tried two airport expresses and both show the same behavior. I've previously had the airport express hooked up via a dedicated D/A converter and it works fine.

For context, I am streaming music from iTunes via airplay to the airport express. The oppo is attached to my integrated amp via RCA cables (stereo only).
lanping09 likes this.
post #2572 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-sf View Post

Has anyone else had issues connecting an Apple Airport Express via optical out to their Oppo BDP-105?
I just received my bdp-105 a few days ago. SACD playback is great. However when I use it as a D/A converter with an airport express as the source (via optical cable), the music skips - there is a brief silent pause every 1 to 8 seconds. I have tried two airport expresses and both show the same behavior. I've previously had the airport express hooked up via a dedicated D/A converter and it works fine.
For context, I am streaming music from iTunes via airplay to the airport express. The oppo is attached to my integrated amp via RCA cables (stereo only).

Sounds like you may have some buffering issues with the airplay connection. Have you tried to connect directly to the 105 via USB? Or, tried connecting to the AP Express via Ethernet cable? The latter should isolate your issue as buffering or not.
post #2573 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

But in addition you need to know that many SD-DVDs will not convert cleanly. First off, if the SD-DVD is of a program (perhaps a TV show episode) that was originally recorded at /60, then there IS no /24 stream to recover. Indeed you can't force /60 down to /24 in any useful fashion because there's no safe way to choose which portions of the moving video to discard.
And there are also true movie discs where DVD 24p Conversion won't produce good results because of the way the disc was recorded. Either the method of producing the master for the disc, or the editing of the master have left the original /24 stream in such confusion that the player will not be able to extract it cleanly.
In either case you will get "frame drop stutter" which is an easily noticed jerkiness of motion -- most obvious in pans because so much of the image is moving on screen.
If you know your AVR or TV can accept 1080p/24, then you may very well want to leave 1080p/24 AUTO set. However DVD 24p Conversion should be used judiciously. Use it with newer discs of newer movies to maximize the chance of a well recorded transfer. But at the first sign of frame drop stutter, go turn DVD 24p Conversion OFF (you can get into Setup and do that even while the movie is playing) and leave it off for the balance of the film.
--Bob

As always, Bob is a font of knowledge.

I try to leave DVD 24fps conversion set to ON. Occasionally there is bad stutter, at which point exactly--shut it off. Then try again on the next DVD.

When a DVD has been property mastered, 24fps works well and you get back the original frames. And that's nice. But when it doesn't work--even a little bit--learn to detect that early and punt on that DVD being converted.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2574 of 11362 Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamawoody View Post

Hi, I have a BDP-83SE that I got a couple of years ago and love. If I purchased the 105, i know I will have more bells and whistles as far as computer audio goes and headphone amps and such but will the DAC's be a big improvement over what I have now? I use the analog outs for 5 channel surround sound and 2 channel audio. I am using a Rotel 200watt times 5 amp with a Dennon receiver as a pre amp, I like the idea of replacing the 83SE and the receiver with just the 105. What is the deal with needing to reset the audio from 100 after updates? What setting are y'all using and why?
Thanks ahead of time for any info, got credit card in hand and thought I would put it away until I read a few responses.
Thank you,
Woody

I had an 83SE and liked it a lot. Bought the 95 to replace it, and liked it even better--and there are analyzer traces showing cleaner output from the 95 (it's not just subjective hype).

Replaced the 95 with the 105 to get rid of the fan. It's not clear (to me) that the 105 sounds any better than the 95, but they both sound excellent--and they both sound better than the 83SE. And I have to say it *seems* like the 105 sounds better, but that can just be psychological. The key point is, it sounds really good.

If you have the money, and want a really good player, get either the 95 or 105. Both can be directly connected to an amp.

The deal with the volume control is that it defaults to 100 (full signal), which can blow out your ears/amps/speakers when directly connected instead of running through a preamp that is (presumably) not set to 100. It just means that when you update the firmware and reset to the factory defaults, you need to be careful about shutting off the amps until you set the volume control back to less than 100.

post #2575 of 11362 Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:

I am about to order a Oppo player and I hesitate between those two configurations:
Oppo BDP-103 + Audiolab M-DAC ( same SABRE 9018 chip as Oppo 105)
OR Oppo BDP-105

The 105 is guaranteed to work, and you're not introducing more stuff in the signal chain (connectors, plus another power supply). If the cost is a wash, I'd recommend going with the 105. Less is more when it comes to how many parts are involved.

post #2576 of 11362 Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

I'm guessing you just need to update a setting in foobar. I haven't seen this issue myself but I'm sure it's not the oppo. It's just too hard to know how everyone has their computer set up and what settings are in what music software. This really puts oppo in a hard spot when they offer a feature like this.

I am also having issues with other applications, not just foobar. but I have no issue when I plug to another DAC.

Quote:

I am having skipping issue with my PC via USB, not sure is it an issue with the driver. Already escalated to OPPO support, yet to have any recommendation from them.
post #2577 of 11362 Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post

Funny, I didn't realize that. I've always wanted to be able to play 5.1 FLACs, but never had a DAC that could handle it. What software could be used to play these on a Mac?

I just copied all my 5.1 FLAC to a small hard drive and plugged it in. Sounds great. It should work over the network too, but doesn't work wireless - the FLAC files are too large.

Stephen Powell
post #2578 of 11362 Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM

Guys- I take delivery on a BDP-105 and have read through the whole thread and don't see an answer on this one. If I want to use the Stereo DAC on the BDP -105, I know that I can apply bass management which is an advantage over other dedicated DAC's, but in my particular room, setting my mains as Large AND having the sub active for content below 80Hz does not appear to be an option correct? Basically in this scenario it replicates what many AV receiver have that offers doubling the bass below 80hz since it is being reproduced by both the mains and the subs. Can this be done in the Oppo's bass management?

Thanks guys!!
post #2579 of 11362 Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM

I don't think the bass management does anything at all to the dedicated 2-channel outputs (which I assume is what you'd want to be listening to in a DAC application).
post #2580 of 11362 Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Sounds like the same issue I'm having with my Roku. I think it's funny that people will try to ascribe these problems to WiFi problems when the equipment works perfectly fine in the absence of the the Oppo, and then doesn't work when you insert the Oppo. Looks like there's some kind of problem that is causing multiple people to report periodic audio dropouts when using the digital inputs of the Oppo.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page