Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #2701 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Done searches but find conflicting opinions on this question within AVS (Imagine that!) and really no direct answers to it.

The question is simply, will I see an noticeable improvement in picture quality with the 105 vs the PS3 I'm using now? Details... I have the the PS3 HDMIed into a Denon 4520. Then the 4520 to my JVC 55 Projector (4K capable) feeding a 136" Carada screen.

I intend to HDMI the 105 output directly to the projector to eliminate the Denon in the Video path, Then use the second HDMI output from the 105 to the Denon for audio.

The PS3 is doing an admirable job, but if the 105 will really improve the PQ, I'll likely go there.

Pretty sure I'll get a resounding "yes" on this, but I've been surprised and enlightened before from the community when I thought something was a slam-dunk. Put a lot of trust in this group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post

Done searches but find conflicting opinions on this question within AVS (Imagine that!) and really no direct answers to it.

The question is simply, will I see an noticeable improvement in picture quality with the 105 vs the PS3 I'm using now? Details... I have the the PS3 HDMIed into a Denon 4520. Then the 4520 to my JVC 55 Projector (4K capable) feeding a 136" Carada screen.

I intend to HDMI the 105 output directly to the projector to eliminate the Denon in the Video path, Then use the second HDMI output from the 105 to the Denon for audio.

The PS3 is doing an admirable job, but if the 105 will really improve the PQ, I'll likely go there.

Pretty sure I'll get a resounding "yes" on this, but I've been surprised and enlightened before from the community when I thought something was a slam-dunk. Put a lot of trust in this group.

For Blu-ray: no. For DVD: maybe.

-Bill
post #2703 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbos View Post

As you look at the unit the board onto on the left.

It took six screws for the large card together with six I think for the attached phonos on the back and three ribbon cables and a couple of other plugs.

Pretty simple really with care and patience applied.....

Thank you for the help. I'll give it a go, hold thumbs.......
post #2704 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

If you are planning on using HDMI for audio, go for the 103.
post #2705 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

If you are planning on using HDMI for audio, go for the 103.

For audio on movies, yes. I'm planning to use the onboard DAC in the 105 for music. I'm thinking the 105 DACs are superior for music compared to the 4520. I didn't want to complicate my question too much but since you brought it up...

Would the 103 DACs be better than the 4520 internal DACs?

Are the 103 DACs much of a downgrade from the 105s?

I'm feeding B&W 904 Nautilus speakers bi-amped from the 4520.
post #2706 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

For audio on movies, yes. I'm planning to use the onboard DAC in the 105 for music. I'm thinking the 105 DACs are superior for music compared to the 4520. I didn't want to complicate my question too much but since you brought it up...

Would the 103 DACs be better than the 4520 internal DACs?

Are the 103 DACs much of a downgrade from the 105s?

I'm feeding B&W 904 Nautilus speakers bi-amped from the 4520.
Did you mean B&W 804 Nautilus speakers perhaps? Do you plan to use the Audyssey XT32 that the 4520 offers when listening to music? If so, there's no point in worrying about the analog outputs.
post #2707 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

If it's a Motorola dvr it has compatibility issues with 3D devices. Had the same issue until i started using the non 3d hdmi inputs on my AVM 50.

It is a Motorola DVR. I was hoping to use the Oppo without a processor. It just sounds fantastic connected directly to my D-Sonic (500W per channel x 3, 250W per channel x 2) amp then out to Martin Logan in-walls! The D/A conversion in the 105 just sounds right for both music and movies. I have not yet burned the player and the amp in yet and it already sounds better than my all (high dollar) McIntosh system!! Looks like I may have to rethink this. Perhaps temporarily incorporating a lower cost processor w/ 3D pass-thru until Oppo's next firmware upgrade. Are you using the AVM50 D/A conversion in your system or the Oppo? Thank you again for all your help! It's nice to know exactly what's going on.... Tom
post #2708 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
Finally received my oppo 105, which is also my first dac. So basically i am trying to do a dac(oppo) / avr setup. My setup sony kdl-55nx720(hdtv), oppo 105, marantz sr5006 avr (for center and surrounds), adcom gfa-555II (for fronts). Using oppo hdmi out to avr (7.1 speaker setup) to take advantage of audussey for movies. For analog playback is where i am having some setup issues.

1) is there a difference in sound quality between using the rca stereo outs versus the 7.1 ch out from the oppo 105. I will be using oppo analog out for cd, sacd playback.
2) assuming there is no difference. i have started setting up using the oppo 7.1 analog out to feed into my marantz sr5006 avr 7.1 inputs. with this setup am i doing something wrong because i am able to get stereo 2 channel output thru my lf and rf, but no subwoofer?? how do i get the subwoofer to sound in analog music playback?
3) also is there a way using the oppo to play the music in analog and still have a video signal sent to the tv so i can still see the onscreen oppo playback menus? do i have this issue because on the oppo i have set audio playback hdmi off instead of auto(i setup hdmi audio to off because i wasnt sure if the analog signal had precedence over the hdmi signal)? what is the proper way to setup?

stupid questions:
a) sacd is the recording in 2 channel or 5?
b) oppo 105 can upconvert to 4k does that mean is can do 4k playback when 4k tvs are out?
c) has anyone tried oppo 7.1 out for movies? seems like audussey should have the advantage for movies..so far i am liking what i am hearing from oppo analog.
post #2709 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacustrader View Post

Finally received my oppo 105, which is also my first dac. So basically i am trying to do a dac(oppo) / avr setup. My setup sony kdl-55nx720(hdtv), oppo 105, marantz sr5006 avr (for center and surrounds), adcom gfa-555II (for fronts). Using oppo hdmi out to avr (7.1 speaker setup) to take advantage of audussey for movies. For analog playback is where i am having some setup issues.

1) is there a difference in sound quality between using the rca stereo outs versus the 7.1 ch out from the oppo 105. I will be using oppo analog out for cd, sacd playback.
yes - the stereo outs should sound better - and I find it fairly easy to hear. You can, if you don't require a second audio zone or down-mixed stereo out, substitute the higher quality Stereo Out for the multichannel FL/FR.
Quote:
2) assuming there is no difference. i have started setting up using the oppo 7.1 analog out to feed into my marantz sr5006 avr 7.1 inputs. with this setup am i doing something wrong because i am able to get stereo 2 channel output thru my lf and rf, but no subwoofer?? how do i get the subwoofer to sound in analog music playback?
The Subwoofer out to your Marantz will only play when you select the 7.1 inputs (direct) on the Marantz. In that case you will only get Oppo subwoofer output if your FL/FR on the Oppo are set to Small - otherwise you get full bandwidth to the FL/FR and no sub on stereo sources.
Quote:
3) also is there a way using the oppo to play the music in analog and still have a video signal sent to the tv so i can still see the onscreen oppo playback menus? do i have this issue because on the oppo i have set audio playback hdmi off instead of auto(i setup hdmi audio to off because i wasnt sure if the analog signal had precedence over the hdmi signal)? what is the proper way to setup?
If the "source" you select on the Marantz is receiving HDMI video from the Oppo, you can still select the Marantz 7.1 analog direct inputs (set Oppo HDMI audio to On or Off - doesn't matter) and get the Oppo menus. If you send audio to a Marantz "source" like the CD inputs, they you get no Oppo menus since those type sources on the Marantz have no associated video input - best to use the Blu-ray and/or DVD inputs on the Marantz for the Oppo - I use both and have them set differently so I can switch from 7.1 analog to HDMI/Audyssey processed easily.
Quote:

stupid questions:
Depends on the SACD - in general an SACD can have 5.1 DSD, 2.0 DSD, and also a CD layer for CD audio. The Oppo lets you toggle between 5.1 and stereo with one of the buttons (see the manual) and for the CD layer, you have to stop playback and change the setting in the Oppo.
Quote:
b) oppo 105 can upconvert to 4k does that mean is can do 4k playback when 4k tvs are out?
c) has anyone tried oppo 7.1 out for movies? seems like audussey should have the advantage for movies..so far i am liking what i am hearing from oppo analog.

It's a matter of preference - for serious listening l'm liking the Oppo analog outs and for recreational. For when seating positions may not be ideal - like a party - I'm liking Audyssey processing....so far. smile.gif

Stephen Powell
post #2710 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Did you mean B&W 804 Nautilus speakers perhaps? Do you plan to use the Audyssey XT-32 that the 4520 offers when listening to music? If so, there's no point in worrying about the analog outputs.

Yes, 804s. Really should proof-read better. And yes, I will want to use the XT32 so I would not be able to utilize the DACs for music in the 105, right? Hadn't thought of that. Sounds like I should go for the 103 UNLESS someone suggests the video is superior in the 105 to justify the price difference. Sorta back to question #1 and the tide seems to be turning toward the 103.
post #2711 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugetsoundHD View Post

LISTENING DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO AMPS

After seeing a number of posts about hooking up the 105 directly to members’ amps we decided to give it a try...

Now if we can only figure out a way to play vinyl with the OPPO going direct to the amps! In a couple of weeks we hope to be able to check out the balanced outputs although this will not be direct to amp(s).

Under "darn, no rain" Seattle skies, Gill

Try this Gill.

Styln
post #2712 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 02:56 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

Yes, 804s. Really should proof-read better. And yes, I will want to use the XT32 so I would not be able to utilize the DACs for music in the 105, right? Hadn't thought of that. Sounds like I should go for the 103 UNLESS someone suggests the video is superior in the 105 to justify the price difference. Sorta back to question #1 and the tide seems to be turning toward the 103.
I'm pretty sure the AVR-4520 can re-digitize stereo analog inputs and then apply Audyssey, but it can't re-digitize the 7.1 Ext In inputs, so you wouldn't be able to use the multichannel outputs on the Oppo and XT32 at the same time. But re-digitizing the signal to use XT32 doesn't make any sense - it makes more sense to send audio over HDMI to the 4520.

For video, the 103 and 105 are identical. The 105 only makes sense if you need the extra features - headphone output, toslink / coaxial digital inputs, USB DAC input, or the better analog outputs.
post #2713 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacustrader View Post

SACD has used various combinations. Many are stereo but some have been 3.0, 5.1, 5.0 and 4.0. It mostly depends on the source. Some of the 5.0 and 4.0 ones have used masters from the old quad audio days. Some 3.0 SACD were sourced from the original 3-channel stereo masters that Mercury and RCA used for classical recordings in the early days of stereo recording.

post #2714 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Well, after many hour (days) of ripping my CD collection to a couple of of 2TB eSata drives I continue to have audio drop out through the wireless network connection and USB from my HTPC. I ripped the CD's with dBpoweramp in lossless wave format. I then tried a few players and was even going to purchase JRiver Media Center 18 but after trial could not get away from the audio dropouts with bit perfect transfer to the HTPC. I have no problem with any media played directly in player. I really wanted my audio collection now stored on HDD to work. frown.gif I called OPPO and they said I may have to return it. I am going to try to fish some Cat5 cable though my ceiling to a new Ethernet switch and try the network connection that way. Any other idea's would be much appreciated.

Try a few files in FLAC. Since flac is lossless they will sound the same as WAV, but be considerably smaller. This will require less networking bandwidth, which can be a problem with wireless.

That said, hard wired networking is the way to go if at all possible.

Styln
stevepow likes this.
post #2715 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just received my Oppo 105 today.

A tip for anyone using a QNAP NAS

You can mount a blu-ray ISO file directly on the NAS under Shared Folders -> ISO shared folders, just call the share AVCHD.

Browse to the AVCHD share from the Oppo and voila you have Full BD menu support.

Epson 6020UB LPE + Prismasonic CIH Anamorphic Lens
120" diagonal 2.40:1 DIY Screen, 19x13x9 Dedicated room
Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR, 7.2 speaker configuration + FH, RH
OPPO BDP-105, Slimdevices Transporter
Sony 2 Channel Amp -> Wharfedale Opus 2-3's
post #2716 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDiAndrea View Post

Thought I saw this somewhere but cant find it.

need mini monitor solution for my 105. Currently I am using my current universal player which. I am ableto connect to my processor via component input which paSsedthe sacd or DVD menu to a 5x7 monitor. I cant get menus via HDMI thru my Lexicon processor. What solutions are any of you using?

I am using a Black Friday special computer monitor with a DVI to HDMI ocnverter. As long as the monitor supports HDCP it should work.

Styln
post #2717 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarg58 View Post

It is a Motorola DVR. I was hoping to use the Oppo without a processor. It just sounds fantastic connected directly to my D-Sonic (500W per channel x 3, 250W per channel x 2) amp then out to Martin Logan in-walls! The D/A conversion in the 105 just sounds right for both music and movies. I have not yet burned the player and the amp in yet and it already sounds better than my all (high dollar) McIntosh system!! Looks like I may have to rethink this. Perhaps temporarily incorporating a lower cost processor w/ 3D pass-thru until Oppo's next firmware upgrade. Are you using the AVM50 D/A conversion in your system or the Oppo? Thank you again for all your help! It's nice to know exactly what's going on.... Tom

No problem, Tom. It took me a couple days of internet research to figure out what was going on... glad I could help.

I'm using the Oppo's DAC's for music (both disc and for Async USB music).
post #2718 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
I realize that this is a bit off topic but just wanted to follow up on a conversation we were having a few days ago regarding Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables. Someone said something to the effect that at the price they charge, it was worth it to at least give it a try and that's what I did............ with a large degree of skepticism(snake oil etc.) Well today my cables arrived and after installing them I put on my favorite disc for checking out video, Avatar, a movie I've seen WAY too many times and am quite familiar with every aspect. I was quite surprised to find that indeed there was a slight improvement with black levels and contrast being most noteworthy. There is now a definite 3D effect that was not noticed before. I'm sitting there watching this muttering to myself "how can this be? It's all just 101010 being passed through the cable and there should NOT be this improvement I'm watching before me." Remember, I was the skeptic checking these cables out only because they are priced so inexpensively.

I'm at a loss to understand why and what it is that is going on but my eyes ain't lyin to me.

In my best Arte Johnson of Laugh In fame......."Berry Intalesting...... I tink!"

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #2719 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^ Placebo™ brand pills! Accept no substitutes! biggrin.gif
--Bob
stevepow likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2720 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I realize that this is a bit off topic but just wanted to follow up on a conversation we were having a few days ago regarding Monoprice RedMere HDMI cables. Someone said something to the effect that at the price they charge, it was worth it to at least give it a try and that's what I did............ with a large degree of skepticism(snake oil etc.) Well today my cables arrived and after installing them I put on my favorite disc for checking out video, Avatar, a movie I've seen WAY too many times and am quite familiar with every aspect. I was quite surprised to find that indeed there was a slight improvement with black levels and contrast being most noteworthy. There is now a definite 3D effect that was not noticed before. I'm sitting there watching this muttering to myself "how can this be? It's all just 101010 being passed through the cable and there should NOT be this improvement I'm watching before me." Remember, I was the skeptic checking these cables out only because they are priced so inexpensively.

I'm at a loss to understand why and what it is that is going on but my eyes ain't lyin to me.

In my best Arte Johnson of Laugh In fame......."Berry Intalesting...... I tink!"

You should drop the Red Mere cable guys a line and ask them how it is possible.

Stephen Powell
post #2721 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 12
My first day with the Oppo 105 today.

I spent a few hours listening to some hi-res Flac files today and comparing them to the same files played on my Slim Devices Transporter whilst the sound is impressive I'm hearing more detail from the Transporter, the instruments and vocals just sound more accurate. Maybe I'm just being a bit biased or maybe not. The Transporter has been my primary audio source now for about 4 years.

Epson 6020UB LPE + Prismasonic CIH Anamorphic Lens
120" diagonal 2.40:1 DIY Screen, 19x13x9 Dedicated room
Onkyo TX-NR809 AVR, 7.2 speaker configuration + FH, RH
OPPO BDP-105, Slimdevices Transporter
Sony 2 Channel Amp -> Wharfedale Opus 2-3's
post #2722 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Liked: 22
Torqdog,

I really don't doubt that you can see differences. How long it the cable you are using?

I was using a Marantz BD7003 until the new Oppo arrived (four years old). The 105 provides a much better picture. There is no doubt there. Search my user name for a review.

On a side note, I'd planned to see what kind of difference I could discern between my Blue Jeans cable I've been using for the last three years and the stock cable that comes with the 105. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. It will be interesting to find out. BTW, I've read all the arguments in this thread regarding HDMI cables. Evenso, I actually put a Redmere cable on my Amazon wish list a week ago. So I do beleive your experience.
post #2723 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob
I wish I could agree but there is more there than what could possibly be produced by a placebo effect. I think that next I will pop in my Spears and Munsill disc and see if there is any noticable difference on those various callibration windows. After that, I'll switch back and forth, old to new and back again.

As I stated, I'm at a loss to understand why there is this difference I'm witnessing. It just shouldn't be happening.

post #2724 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

I wish I could agree but there is more there than what could possibly be produced by a placebo effect.

Well no, not really. Placebo effect is quite powerful. And so is expectation.

You need to test them double-blind, or at least single-blind. Methinks you will be unable to tell the difference (assuming your previous cables weren't complete junk).

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2725 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:

Quote:

--Bob
I wish I could agree but there is more there than what could possibly be produced by a placebo effect. I think that next I will pop in my Spears and Munsill disc and see if there is any noticable difference on those various callibration windows. After that, I'll switch back and forth, old to new and back again.

As I stated, I'm at a loss to understand why there is this difference I'm witnessing. It just shouldn't be happening.

You already know the answer. If the new cables are producing a better looking picture, then the OLD cables MUST be screwing up.
--Bob
stevepow likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2726 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You already know the answer. If the new cables are producing a better looking picture, then the OLD cables MUST be screwing up.
--Bob
Yeah, I completely agree. But the old cables seemed to be working just fine as far as I could tell. The picture looked great.

As you and others have stated, if the cables, new and old are doing their job of pasing the 101010 information, theoretically i should not be seeing what I'm seeing. I'm going back out now for further analization of my new found "mystery".

post #2727 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post

Well no, not really. Placebo effect is quite powerful.And so is expectation..

You need to test them double-blind, or at least single-blind. Methinks you will be unable to tell the difference (assuming your previous cables weren't complete junk).
I had no expectation as I was quite skeptical.

Double blind or single blind is next to impossible as I am the only one who can change stuff behind the "rack".

post #2728 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Double blind or single blind is next to impossible as I am the only one who can change stuff behind the "rack".

Oh come on--invite some buddy over, offer him/her beers to swap cables, and see if you can tell the difference.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2729 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 07:18 PM

quote name="Bullitt5094" url="/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2730#post_22820752"]
Yes, 804s. Really should proof-read better. And yes, I will want to use the XT32 so I would not be able to utilize the DACs for music in the 105, right? Hadn't thought of that. Sounds like I should go for the 103 UNLESS someone suggests the video is superior in the 105 to justify the price difference. Sorta back to question #1 and the tide seems to be turning toward the 103.[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I'm pretty sure the AVR-4520 can re-digitize stereo analog inputs and then apply Audyssey, but it can't re-digitize the 7.1 Ext In inputs, so you wouldn't be able to use the multichannel outputs on the Oppo and XT32 at the same time. But re-digitizing the signal to use XT32 doesn't make any sense - it makes more sense to send audio over HDMI to the 4520.

For video, the 103 and 105 are identical. The 105 only makes sense if you need the extra features - headphone output, toslink / coaxial digital inputs, USB DAC input, or the better analog outputs.

Seems like the 103 will be best suited for my configuration. If I didn't want to use the XT32 equalization on stereo, then I could utilize the benefit of the superior DACs in the 105 and it would be the better choice.

Thanks for the input members. Again, you've helped me sort-out what would be the best path. I really appreciate that!
post #2730 of 11418 Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Torqdog, how long is the Redmere cable you are using?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page